What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colleges and COVID-19 (1 Viewer)

USC is tough because as you mentioned it’s right in the middle of Los Angeles. How do you keep it a closed environment? You can’t.

College aged kids can drive, already hang out with friends and probably about half already have leases for off campus housing. There’s going to already be a lot there to start. 
It will be really interesting to see how things play out in the fall. Which plans succeed, and which plans fail despite best efforts. My son was supposed to work at a summer camp this summer - the last term of the summer starting in late July. Because of concerns over Covid, along with the fact that his college moved up the start date by a week, he ended up not signing his contract and is working a remote internship instead. Well, we found out that during the first term of the camp, there was a Covid outbreak amongst the campers and they’ve now canceled camp for the remainder of the summer.

How does this relate to college campuses?  Well I think the cautionary tale is that you can be located in a small town/remote location, and take precautions to ensure that arriving kids have been tested and are in a largely closed environment with minimal outside contact, and it can still turn into a ####show once Covid starts spreading amongst the kids.  

Don’t get me wrong, I am hoping and praying that colleges are able to successfully navigate the fall. But I fear that best laid plans may not be sufficient once things start spreading amongst a student population. Tracing is going to be a nightmare at many schools I think. If my son ends up getting a space in the dorms (unlikely) and we end up letting him go (possible), I would honestly bet against him finishing the semester there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be really interesting to see how things play out in the fall. Which plans succeed, and which plans fail despite best efforts. My son was supposed to work at a summer camp this summer - the last term of the summer starting in late July. Because of concerns over Covid, along with the fact that his college moved up the start date by a week, he ended up not signing his contract and is working a remote internship instead. Well, we found out that during the first term of the camp, there was a Covid outbreak amongst the campers and they’ve now canceled camp for the remainder of the summer.

How does this relate to college campuses?  Well I think the cautionary tale is that you can be located in a small town/remote location, and take precautions to ensure that arriving kids have been tested and are in a largely closed environment with minimal outside contact, and it can still turn into a ####show once Covid starts spreading amongst the student population  

Don’t get me wrong, I am hoping and praying that colleges are able to successfully navigate the fall. But I fear that best laid plans may not be sufficient once things start spreading amongst a student population. Tracing is going to be a nightmare at many schools I think. If my son ends up getting a space in the dorms (unlikely) and we end up letting him go (possible), I would honestly bet against him finishing the semester there.  
Were kids and staff actually tested right before going or just a temperature check, questions, etc.? Did they figure out who started it?

I know you are in Texas and I’m assuming that the first term started in what middle of June? Middle of June in Texas was likely like Florida, an entirely different time. Florida had 1k cases back them compare to 15k cases per day now.

My wife wanted to take a break so we actually went to Hilton Head for Memorial Day. I didn’t really feel comfortable but I was the anal retentive one while we were there at the hotel. Outside of ordering food at the pool are we were pretty distant, but I also wasn’t crazy worried because there weren’t a lot of cases in SC. Different world now.

Anyway, long winded way to say that in June, it wouldn’t shock me if a summer camp in Texas was way more lax than anyone would be today.

Were kids and staff actually tested right before going or just a temperature check, questions, etc.? Did they figure out who started it?

I know you are in Texas and I’m assuming that the first term started in what middle of June? Middle of June in Texas was likely like Florida, an entirely different time. Florida had 1k cases back them compare to 15k cases per day now.

My wife wanted to take a break so we actually went to Hilton Head for Memorial Day. I didn’t really feel comfortable but I was the anal retentive one while we were there at the hotel. Outside of ordering food at the pool are we were pretty distant, but I also wasn’t crazy worried because there weren’t a lot of cases in SC. Different world now.

Anyway, long winded way to say that in June, it wouldn’t shock me if a summer camp in Texas was way more lax than anyone would be today.
Well, I know they were testing all the camp counselors (since my son was going to be a counselor).  Not sure about the campers, but perhaps so. But your point is well taken about things being more lax in June than now (though the did have all sorts of policies they were implementing). But that’s sort of my point. Once you have thousands of 18-22 year-olds converging on a college town, I just don’t think there will be sufficient vigilance amongst that population to prevent an outbreak. And once things start spreading amongst students at a large college, I don’t see how you can effectively institute tracing and quarantine protocols. There will simply be too many kids to deal with. 

Texas A&M is a perfect example. They had some student athletes back to campus this summer to start workouts. This is in a small college town and in a purportedly controlled environment with a tiny percentage of the student population.  And they’ve already had a number of positive cases across multiple sports, including very recently three positive tests on the swim team. What happens when 47,000 undergrads converge on College Station in a few weeks?

Not trying to be doom and gloom here, but I’m worried. 

Well, I know they were testing all the camp counselors (since my son was going to be a counselor).  Not sure about the campers, but perhaps so. But your point is well taken about things being more lax in June than now (though the did have all sorts of policies they were implementing). But that’s sort of my point. Once you have thousands of 18-22 year-olds converging on a college town, I just don’t think there will be sufficient vigilance amongst that population to prevent an outbreak. And once things start spreading amongst students at a large college, I don’t see how you can effectively institute tracing and quarantine protocols. There will simply be too many kids to deal with. 

Texas A&M is a perfect example. They had some student athletes back to campus this summer to start workouts. This is in a small college town and in a purportedly controlled environment with a tiny percentage of the student population.  And they’ve already had a number of positive cases across multiple sports, including very recently three positive tests on the swim team. What happens when 47,000 undergrads converge on College Station in a few weeks?

Not trying to be doom and gloom here, but I’m worried. 
On the athletes, Clemson had 20+ football players test positive. It’s one of the reasons why I think the number of cases is way higher than we think. None of those players would have even know unless someone they knew developed symptoms. I think there will be a lot of kids testing positive that are shocked.

I know it will likely be hard but I think there’s already going to be a lot of students on campus. I know of several friends whose kids are like my son who already has a lease. My son’s already told me he’s going to be there regardless. I think he’d be OK with being able to hang with his close friends and just have his labs in person. For freshmen, there’s almost no good answer. They typically have bigger required course and are usually required to be on campus. There also aren’t going to suddenly be another 33% more apartments.

I just hope schools that aren’t smack in the middle of a hot zone can work out a routine. I know there’s idiots everywhere and unfortunately they have been helping us to where we are over the last month. There are also kids like my son who’s pissed about SC being a hot spot and would absolutely do whatever he was asked to have safe in person classes or labs.

Faust said:
Yeah, it's a really awkward situation here in our college town (Ithaca). The town is totally dependent on the colleges and we need the students back.  But our COVID-19 numbers have been kept relatively low throughout - as of yesterday, the county had a total of 176 positives and only 9 active cases.  So while the residents want the students back, we aren't looking forward to the likely influx of the virus from all over the country.

Cornell just had a video forum today for students and parents where they expanded on a few things they have planned.  The general plan announced earlier was similar to others that have been mentioned - starting on campus at the usual time with a mix of live and online classes, spacing out students in the live classes, required mask wearing, students staying home after Thanksgiving, etc. Today's stuff was more about move in and testing. 

Students living off campus need to sign up for testing for soon after they are going to arrive in town. On-campus students will be assigned move-in dates spread out over some amount of days earlier than usual.  On the day they arrive, they'll be tested and then either be put in a temporary single or a local hotel room for that night to wait for the 24-hour test result.  No parents or families will be allowed in the dorms, and they'll be asked to leave town after dropping their kids off that day.  If their test is negative, the student will be allowed in their regular room (single or double, but no triples this year).

But it gets even more complicated because of NY State's quarantine policy for people coming in from specific states.  If that's still in place, Cornell will require those students to arrive even earlier and will put them up in a hotel for the whole quarantine period before having them move in to the dorms.

They then also plan to do periodic mandatory testing throughout the semester.  For the lab tests, they have agreements set up with the local hospital, but also will be using the vet school on campus, which has been doing animal testing for some time (like the ones done on the tigers at the Bronx Zoo) and has now been cleared to do human tests as well.

Anyway, it should all be an interesting experiment.  My daughter is going to be a senior and living in an off-campus apartment, so for her I'm just glad there's at least a chance of her having a senior year at school.  My son is entering as a freshman, though, so I'm pretty bummed his campus life experience is going to be so screwed up from the start.

How does this relate to college campuses?  Well I think the cautionary tale is that you can be located in a small town/remote location, and take precautions to ensure that arriving kids have been tested and are in a largely closed environment with minimal outside contact, and it can still turn into a ####show once Covid starts spreading amongst the kids.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/unc-chapel-hill-converts-remote-learning-after-reporting-135-new-n1236977

@Joe Bryant posted something on Twitter that I wholly agree with yesterday: 

Pre Covid, College was already a questionable financial decision for many. But the idea we're supposed to smile and accept the assertion online classes deliver a value remotely close to the in-person experience could be the wake-up call for lots of people.

UNC probably had good intentions and the kids just did what I think we all think kids are gonna do but the above statement rings true. Paying full bhote for a college education is enough of a drain, paying full bhote for Zoom meetings is highway robbery. Add in that a good portion of students have to secure housing and sign year long leases well in advance to secure a spot and you're compounding the problem. Just all looks like a disingenuous money grab from institutions that are already questionable when it comes to fees.

I say this as a father who just dropped his daughter off at USC (SC not CA) for 1 in person lab and 4 online courses.

My daughter's senior year was going to be all virtual except one class (a lab) that would require her to be in person two times a week. Do you think they cut us parents any breaks on the cost of a parking pass? Nope--still full price--close to $300. Luckily she procrastinated and didn't go buy it right away because, as of this weekend, that class has now gone virtual. The college was nice enough to refund us $1,400 from last year's meal plan we bought, but I don't think they had much of a choice since the dining halls were closed from February on. 

As @beer 30 talked about above.. this is becoming a money grab and as a parent of a college kid, I can not say I am overly happy about it. My son is a sophomore at Ohio State. I have had to co-sign on a year long lease. He has 5 classes - 1 of them is in person. The rest are online. I am glad he is getting the experience of living on his own and figuring out those life skills like cooking and grocery shopping and getting along with roommates and growing up in that respect, but full boat for tuition and having only 1 in person class is insanity. 

I have a feeling many colleges are moving forward to get the full amount of money and then close down after a short period of time.....i just dont see how they are going to pull this off....

I have a feeling many colleges are moving forward to get the full amount of money and then close down after a short period of time.....i just dont see how they are going to pull this off....
There's a LOT of that talk @Kiddnets  People saying the colleges knew good and well they'd have to close but they knew they wouldn't get as much tuition money in if they started online. 

Lots of parents / students talking about the bait and switch. 

There's a LOT of that talk @Kiddnets  People saying the colleges knew good and well they'd have to close but they knew they wouldn't get as much tuition money in if they started online. 

Lots of parents / students talking about the bait and switch. 
that's terrible....I know they are taking a big hit but if that's true its inexcusable....and it certainly looks that way.

my son is going to be a freshman at Rutgers and Im happy they chose to be remote early....they are doing a good job setting up virtual dorms and events so the kids get to know each other a bit......

Good read. An awful lot of ambiguity and statements like the one below really disappoint. We've had 6 months to come up with something better than once we have you, you ain't going anywhere.

“They need to be ready to have online classes from their dorm room and all their meals delivered in boxes,” he said. “That’s sort of the worst-case scenario, but once you get on campus, most schools are not going to shut it all down.”

Also it breaks my heart that these bastions of higher learning aren't sitting on enough  :moneybag:  to make it through a year of hard times. Maybe they should reach out to the Finance department and hit them up for some advice?

Joe Bryant said:
I've posted elsewhere that I think re-opening universities is a mistake.  I believed that back in April, and I definitely believe it now that we wasted the entire summer and actually allowed the pandemic to become worse instead of better.  That said, I do want to push back a little on the "bait and switch" angle.  In my experience, that was never the intention.

Here's the key takeaway from your article:

A survey by SimpsonScarborough, a higher education research firm, in July found roughly 40% of incoming first-year college students said they were likely or highly likely to change where they attended school because of the COVID-19 outbreak. And returning college students, who complained of paying full tuition for lackluster classes in the spring, have weighed deferring future enrollment until campuses reopen.
We were hearing this message loud and clear last spring.  It was clear back then that if we went all-online in Fall 2020, we would be looking at a much smaller freshman class and a loss of many of our continuing students.  That would be financially devastating to any university not in the super-elite upper tier, which is like 99% of higher ed institutions in the US.  So it's not unfair to say that money played a big role in this, but the root of the problem is that students want to be on campus and they don't like online education.  If a student wanted to earn their degree online, they would have gone to Southern New Hampshire, not my four-year residential school.  We're under a lot of pressure to give students the experience that they want, which means bringing them back to campus.

The reason why so many students had so many of their courses moved online during the summer is because re-doing the fall schedule with social distancing is a lot more complicated than it might sound.  Social distancing dramatically reduces classroom capacity.  For example, the largest classroom on my campus holds about 400 students.  With 6' social distancing, it now holds only 70.  Lots of rooms that were great for "active learning" and lots of group discussion are now nearly unusable.  In theory, we could have started from scratch, completely redesigned the schedule by moving classes to different times and classrooms, and asked students to re-register, but that was going to be far too large an undertaking with faculty and students all away on summer break.  So we ended up leaving classes where they were, which meant switching a ton of them to online or hybrid delivery.  My university wasn't unique in this regard -- nearly all schools faced the same virtually insolvable logistical problem, and they all ended up with a glut of online courses.  That wasn't college presidents being evil.  It was the natural outcome of a very messy process that none of us had ever had to deal with before. 

My honest guess is that most schools won't make it to the end of September.  I'd love to be wrong about that, obviously.  But this was a well-intentioned decision to do everything possible to provide students with the experience that they signed on for, not just a money grab.

Notre Dame had a big breakout this weekend also.  Over 50 cases, 38 from a off campus party.   This will happen all semester, then they give it to the parents at thanksgiving time.

Couldn't agree more with all the posts here. I get community college not option for some students but flushing money down the toilet for whatever "educational experience" this is.

1000% money grab. (Isn't to say it already wasn't to a lesser extent)

ASU (not sure still the case but at one time largest student population in country) starts here in a couple days I believe. Going to be a disaster.

But this was a well-intentioned decision to do everything possible to provide students with the experience that they signed on for, not just a money grab.
It seems like one's view on this question depends on the extent to which "giving the students what they want" was feasible to begin with.  Yes, if these schools had a good faith belief that they could make it happen, then I agree it's not just a money grab.  If the schools were telling students that they were going to give them something that they knew or should have known was unrealistic, that's when the accusations of bait-and-switch come in.

I'm generally in agreement with your position though.  There has been so much uncertainty about everything that I don't believe that schools were actually promising things they knew they would never deliver.

Anecdotal to be sure, but here’s the latest I’m hearing - friend’s child is at a major university. There have been a number of big parties since school started. Now, a number of kids are not feeling well, but no one is going to get tested because they don’t want to be the reason that the school shuts down. What a cluster, but it’s not surprising actually given how the incentives and disincentives have been set up for kids on campus. 

Email from Virginia Tech...

Dear Hokies,

I write today because though our hopes have been high, our on-campus opportunities for this semester are increasingly fragile, and they will not be realized without ALL of us committed to a successful outcome. As you know, I wrote to you this summer about what will be required. Just last week, our Dean of Students Byron Hughes reinforced the sacrifices that are necessaryfor an in-person residential experience.

The reality as of this morning is that only some are choosing to live by the health imperatives necessary. Many gatherings over the weekend, inconsistent practices of wearing masks and physical distancing, and other overt behaviors are weakening the resolve of many and the reality that we can all remain on campus. While developmental and collaborative approaches are the norm at Virginia Tech, it is now clear that this public health crisis will not be solved without clear and definitive boundaries that are enforced with swift and serious action. The following requirements are to provide clarity in your decision-making:

There should not be ANY non-university sanctioned/monitored gatherings, on or off campus, larger than 15 people.

Face masks/coverings should be worn at all social gatherings, with 6-foot physical distancing. Individuals should remove themselves from situations where this is not possible.

Independent outdoor exercise is the only exception to the obligation of the face covering requirement.

To be clear, failure to follow these expectations is considered endangering the welfare of others and will result in immediate interim suspension and removal from campus housing. Immediate interim suspension means no academic classes or student activities until a full student conduct hearing is complete. This will adversely impact your academic career.

Our student conduct program is typically designed with opportunities built in to learn from one’s mistakes. Yet these aren’t typical times. The nature of the pandemic means the health and well-being of our community must be the values that win the day. Therefore, Virginia Tech will take swift action for all violations, and the academic career of all involved will be impacted.

I am counting on ALL of us. Let’s get this right. Now.

Frank Shushok Jr.
Vice President for Student Affairs

Email from Virginia Tech...

Dear Hokies,

I write today because though our hopes have been high, our on-campus opportunities for this semester are increasingly fragile, and they will not be realized without ALL of us committed to a successful outcome. As you know, I wrote to you this summer about what will be required. Just last week, our Dean of Students Byron Hughes reinforced the sacrifices that are necessaryfor an in-person residential experience.

The reality as of this morning is that only some are choosing to live by the health imperatives necessary. Many gatherings over the weekend, inconsistent practices of wearing masks and physical distancing, and other overt behaviors are weakening the resolve of many and the reality that we can all remain on campus. While developmental and collaborative approaches are the norm at Virginia Tech, it is now clear that this public health crisis will not be solved without clear and definitive boundaries that are enforced with swift and serious action. The following requirements are to provide clarity in your decision-making:

There should not be ANY non-university sanctioned/monitored gatherings, on or off campus, larger than 15 people.

Face masks/coverings should be worn at all social gatherings, with 6-foot physical distancing. Individuals should remove themselves from situations where this is not possible.

Independent outdoor exercise is the only exception to the obligation of the face covering requirement.

To be clear, failure to follow these expectations is considered endangering the welfare of others and will result in immediate interim suspension and removal from campus housing. Immediate interim suspension means no academic classes or student activities until a full student conduct hearing is complete. This will adversely impact your academic career.

Our student conduct program is typically designed with opportunities built in to learn from one’s mistakes. Yet these aren’t typical times. The nature of the pandemic means the health and well-being of our community must be the values that win the day. Therefore, Virginia Tech will take swift action for all violations, and the academic career of all involved will be impacted.

I am counting on ALL of us. Let’s get this right. Now.

Frank Shushok Jr.
Vice President for Student Affairs
Tough to argue that the expectations aren’t being made perfectly clear. Follow the rules or risk screwing it up for everyone. Do you want to be at college, or not?

My Daughter has been at MTSU since Thursday. On Friday she got an email from administration saying that if the kids don’t cut out the parties and rule breaking that they will shut down the campus. 
My kid knows no one on campus and has basically been stuck in her dorm room for 3 days (no roommates). So far, she says college sucks. Classes haven’t even started yet...

My Daughter has been at MTSU since Thursday. On Friday she got an email from administration saying that if the kids don’t cut out the parties and rule breaking that they will shut down the campus. 
My kid knows no one on campus and has basically been stuck in her dorm room for 3 days (no roommates). So far, she says college sucks. Classes haven’t even started yet...
I’m really sorry to hear that. Are classes all online?  Based on what we’ve been hearing about our son’s school, we’re feeling better about our/his decision to stay at home for Fall Semester. 

I’m really sorry to hear that. Are classes all online?  Based on what we’ve been hearing about our son’s school, we’re feeling better about our/his decision to stay at home for Fall Semester. 
No, she has some in-person and some online. If she had been all online we would have just kept her home. I don’t think the campus will stay open for long tho.

No, she has some in-person and some online. If she had been all online we would have just kept her home. I don’t think the campus will stay open for long tho.
Hopefully she’ll make some friends in her in-person classes (before things get shut down). My son is a week into his classes and it doesn’t sound like he’s connected with anyone outside of class, which is unfortunate. Hard to make friends during a Zoom class when everyone just logs off as soon as class is over. 

Hopefully she’ll make some friends in her in-person classes (before things get shut down). My son is a week into his classes and it doesn’t sound like he’s connected with anyone outside of class, which is unfortunate. Hard to make friends during a Zoom class when everyone just logs off as soon as class is over. 
She's had a couple of days of marching band practice, so she met a couple of people in her section. Unfortunately, noone is allowed to visit anyone, so outside of practice or class, she won't be socializing much.

She's had a couple of days of marching band practice, so she met a couple of people in her section. Unfortunately, noone is allowed to visit anyone, so outside of practice or class, she won't be socializing much.
That really sucks. I’m so glad my son was a freshman last year otherwise he wouldn’t be living off campus with 4 friends and have other friends off campus as well. Clemson still hasn’t opened the campus so freshman are still at home and all classes are online but he couldn’t wait to leave home again.

This is from Bob, it's the 2nd or 3rd one from him on the topic. Classes started last Thursday.

Dear Students,

Welcome home to the University of South Carolina! This week has been a long time coming, and I could not be more excited to have you back on campus. So many of us -- faculty, staff and students -- have been working for five months to make this day not only possible, but as safe as possible for our entire community.

Thanks to all of you who are wearing masks, practicing physical distancing and committing yourselves to all of the public health measures necessary to stay safe. As I've walked around campus this week, I've seen you doing the right things and taking this seriously. You know what to do and you're doing it, at least on campus. That's half of the battle.

I know you have seen media coverage of universities not far from South Carolina that have moved to all online instruction. I am sure that was really disappointing for these university communities, and I know we do not want this to happen to us. But I believe strongly that we can remain together as long as the entire community does what is right on and off campus.

As you know, wearing your mask, practicing physical distancing and washing hands frequently are the best ways to protect your own health, and these are also the same practices that protect others in our community. This is one of those unique situations in which looking out for your own well-being is also looking out for the common good. So, thank you for taking this seriously and for protecting not only yourself, but also those around you.

I know how important your social lives are; spending time with friends is a wonderful part of college life. But I need you to do so responsibly. If we are to stay together on campus this semester and avoid what happened at UNC, ND, Michigan State, NC State and others, we have to do what is right. In other words, it is possible to enjoy all that our campus and community have to offer while wearing masks and maintaining physical distance. So when you find yourself at off-campus parties and other places at risk for COVID transmission, do the right thing by wearing your mask and keeping yourself separated. Do this not only for yourself, but for each other and for the entire Gamecock community. When you protect yourself, you protect others. And when we protect others, we are more able to keep our university open this semester.

Again, welcome home, and know that I'm pulling for all of you as we begin the Fall 2020 semester together.

Stay Healthy,

Bob Caslen
President

It seems like one's view on this question depends on the extent to which "giving the students what they want" was feasible to begin with.  Yes, if these schools had a good faith belief that they could make it happen, then I agree it's not just a money grab.  If the schools were telling students that they were going to give them something that they knew or should have known was unrealistic, that's when the accusations of bait-and-switch come in.

I'm generally in agreement with your position though.  There has been so much uncertainty about everything that I don't believe that schools were actually promising things they knew they would never deliver.
Agreed, and along the same lines you can judge by how realistic the plan is that they came up with.  The plan can't be we are going in person and if we get any cases we shut down, because you will get cases.  How you handle those who get sick or the people who repeatedly violate the health policy are the things you need to have down in advance.  Also, you should have an idea of what level of outbreak you start to change course.

Dropped my daughter off for her first semester last week.  Only first years and seniors allowed to live on campus, most classes remote but some small classes / labs being held on campus.  Everyone was swabbed and got a wrist strap before move-in.  Apparently they had 8 positives out of 2000+ tests they ran.  Those people have to quarantine - I think at a local hotel, but it wasn't entirely clear to me.

They got an e-mail similar to the one beer described about how everyone needs to follow the rules - don't be like UNC, etc.  People were definitely on their best behavior during move-in - people keeping to small, distanced groups, pretty much 100% masks, even those outside by themselves.  I guess only time will tell how things go.

Daughter is a HS senior taking a course at a local college. She's supposed to start tomorrow. Found out Saturday that one of her best friends was exposed and getting tested. Found out today that the friend tested positive. Took daughter for a test today hoping that a negative would mean she could start school on Wednesday. Nope. They dont want to see her for 2 weeks regardless of test outcome.  :(

This is brutal. I took my daughter's dog to the park yesterday to get some exercise, and he developed heat stroke. We're going to have to have him euthanized tonight. My daughter is a wreck, she's alone, and a couple hundred miles away. On top of that, her grandfather has terminal cancer, and she has some kind of health issue of her own that we haven't got figured out yet. She's crying and wants to come home. This is breaking my heart.

This is brutal. I took my daughter's dog to the park yesterday to get some exercise, and he developed heat stroke. We're going to have to have him euthanized tonight. My daughter is a wreck, she's alone, and a couple hundred miles away. On top of that, her grandfather has terminal cancer, and she has some kind of health issue of her own that we haven't got figured out yet. She's crying and wants to come home. This is breaking my heart.
Oh my God. I’m so, so sorry. Did classes start for her today. Such a tough situation for her. 

Oh my God. I’m so, so sorry. Did classes start for her today. Such a tough situation for her. 
Yeah, she started today. I guess she's had a couple opportunities to socialize but is just so sad that she doesn't want to leave her room. I'm trying to convince her to see a councilor on campus, but she doesn't want to make the effort. My wife may drive up there tomorrow just to give her some support.

Edit: Vet just called, Brutus died on his own. Didn't even get to say goodbye. This is a ####### nightmare.

U of SC beginning it’s spiral into closure. Cases doubled on Thursday. President asked everyone to prep for a closure in case he has to pull the trigger. 3 more house in Greek village quarantined. Lots of large house parties. Daughter told me freshman are just acting stupid on campus.

U of SC beginning it’s spiral into closure. Cases doubled on Thursday. President asked everyone to prep for a closure in case he has to pull the trigger. 3 more house in Greek village quarantined. Lots of large house parties. Daughter told me freshman are just acting stupid on campus.
This was from a few days ago:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-college-cases-tracker.html?fbclid=IwAR1UeGJQGWizGwc1DYx6LlVKDxLkbjMRn5zexpkSFtcg4xq3FSPknsdd304

Welp, I’ll be shocked if Clemson moves forward. It’s not open yet. Classes started online and my son, like probably half the students, is in off campus apartments. He was just hoping to have a library open so he could study outside of his room.

Also, heard that 2 students died early this morning with two more in bad shape right next to campus. I know it’s not CV related and could have happened last year but things like this make you wonder if there will be more problems because there are walkable parties without even getting to mental well being. I know I walked home a zillion times in college not even close to being able to drive. You have 50% of students in off campus housing in some cases.

I’m assuming we haven’t had any terrible cases yet because I’m again assuming it would be front page news if a student dies of CV due to being on campus. Maybe it hasn’t been long enough, hoping we won’t start hearing about it.

So USC just bailed on the spit test. The official transcript was the lab was overwhelmed and short staffed. The unofficial version from my boss, who's daughter is a freshman on the cheerleading squad, all of the cheerleading squad except two tested positive so they sent everyone home. They all used the saliva test. The two that didn't used the nose swab test and were negative. The school questioned the lab on the results, they said they were jacked up so the school quit using the saliva test. They went back to only nose swabs. Unless they are feeling under the weather, kids typically won't be voluntarily getting their brains scrambled so the numbers of positive cases have dropped dramatically (from a high of 1,440 to 193 today).

So USC just bailed on the spit test. The official transcript was the lab was overwhelmed and short staffed. The unofficial version from my boss, who's daughter is a freshman on the cheerleading squad, all of the cheerleading squad except two tested positive so they sent everyone home. They all used the saliva test. The two that didn't used the nose swab test and were negative. The school questioned the lab on the results, they said they were jacked up so the school quit using the saliva test. They went back to only nose swabs. Unless they are feeling under the weather, kids typically won't be voluntarily getting their brains scrambled so the numbers of positive cases have dropped dramatically (from a high of 1,440 to 193 today).
Most of these students returning to campus are going to get it. And as I posted upthread, many, if not most, will not report it to the school. And while they won’t admit it, I think some of these schools are probably fine with that. 

edit:  All of my son’s guy friends from high school moved onto their college campuses. Last I heard, all but one had already contracted COVID. It is absolutely rampant on large college campuses.  

Users who are viewing this thread