What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Covid and School This Fall (1 Viewer)

A kid taking off their mask now and again isn't going to move the needle much. I'll go so far as to say that as long as each individual kid keeps their own mask on an average of 90-95% of the day, the masks will still be a solid mitigation measure. Whipping off another kid's mask as a prank is not going to get that unmasked kid instant COVID.

Is there a concern that a whole lot of kids are just going to willfully go unmasked all day long, and then fight teachers on it? What exactly is the "they won't wear masks" concern? Again, the occasional doffing of masks doesn't raise the "threat level" very much.
I"m wondering about this too.

Given that many adults don't want to wear masks, I'm sure their kids will follow suit. Will schools not allow those kids admittance on the day? 

I have a feeling my daughter's elementary school will be pretty good about mask wearing, with some outliers. Son's middle school will be 100%- small population, and overly protective parents. 

I"m wondering about this too.

Given that many adults don't want to wear masks, I'm sure their kids will follow suit. Will schools not allow those kids admittance on the day? 

I have a feeling my daughter's elementary school will be pretty good about mask wearing, with some outliers. Son's middle school will be 100%- small population, and overly protective parents. 
Yes.  Kids (high school/middle school) must wear masks in our buildings.  If they refuse, they will not be permitted in the building.  They have an online option.  They chose to be in school, and in doing so have agreed to the conditions/regulations that will be in place.  We are a few weeks away from starting, but we have already been told that if a kid refuses to put a mask on he should be sent to the office with a disciplinary referral.

Strife in the household.

Wife, teacher. They want her there to teach to a camera in person.

Offering teacher kids ability to use library and cafeteria and places to remote learn, from school, while remote learning.  

Kids don't really want to go, leaving me with the fun thought of being a single dad managing remote schooling (ages 11 and 14)

I was going to type out the letter my SIL just got but here's the tl;dr.  Kid tested positive at local elementary school.  This kid lives next door to my SIL - the whole class plus my 2 youngest nieces are quarantined for 2 weeks.  I give it a < 1% chance they will ever go back because if they are going to close the classes for one positive then all the classes will be shutdown within 1-2 weeks.
Agreed. I can't believe this was the plan

According to CTU leaders, Chicago Public Schools' hybrid plan for the fall "falls short on safety." Leaders said CPS has not put enough money into cleaning and janitorial improvements.

“Providing us 40,000 tubs of sanitizing wipes? So I get two tubs of wipes? That might get me through a few lunch periods," Erin Lynch, an art and special education teacher at CPS, said during a car caravan last month. "We ask that CPS finally put students' and staff's safety and health first."

really?

This reminds me of the ten tips for teachers returning to school thing I saw. All sorts of nonsense with changing clothes and purses in garbage bags. 

A kid taking off their mask now and again isn't going to move the needle much. I'll go so far as to say that as long as each individual kid keeps their own mask on an average of 90-95% of the day, the masks will still be a solid mitigation measure. Whipping off another kid's mask as a prank is not going to get that unmasked kid instant COVID.

Is there a concern that a whole lot of kids are just going to willfully go unmasked all day long, and then fight teachers on it? What exactly is the "they won't wear masks" concern? Again, the occasional doffing of masks doesn't raise the "threat level" very much.
It depends on enforcement. If there isn’t at least decent enforcement of mask policies, it’s going to be much more than the occasional doffing of masks. And chances are teachers will quickly get sick of enforcing it.

Let's say a kid rides a bus in.  Gets to the school and says "screw you.  My mom, Karen, says I ain't gotta Wear no mask!". (or maybe they forgot theirs).  What does the school do?  Let them sit on the lawn all day?  They have to stand outside until Karen comes to pick them up?  

First cross country practice tonight. 40some kids aged 8-14. Everyone wore the mask til they started running and all but the 2 that were in distress immediately after put theirs back on. And those 2 put theirs on once they got their bearings back together. 

Let's say a kid rides a bus in.  Gets to the school and says "screw you.  My mom, Karen, says I ain't gotta Wear no mask!". (or maybe they forgot theirs).  What does the school do?  Let them sit on the lawn all day?  They have to stand outside until Karen comes to pick them up?  
Our school will have some masks available for kids who forgot theirs, but then are asking families to replace it the next day.  Not sure how well that will work.  But, in answer to your main question, YES.  GTFO.   I would think they should have a designated holding area (near office/clinic maybe) where a kid isn't forced outside in inclement weather or without some level of supervision.  This is an easy decision if they had an option between remote or in person and chose to come to school...follow the rules or get GTFO.  It would be a little dicier if there were no options and all were expected to be in school.  

First cross country practice tonight. 40some kids aged 8-14. Everyone wore the mask til they started running and all but the 2 that were in distress immediately after put theirs back on. And those 2 put theirs on once they got their bearings back together. 
Are they running in a pack? 

The running thing...dunno. I know it's outside, but if they're grouped together for the 20ish minutes breathing hard...seems to me that masks would make sense during running. I know I'm wearing mine when I run in the city 

Are they running in a pack? 

The running thing...dunno. I know it's outside, but if they're grouped together for the 20ish minutes breathing hard...seems to me that masks would make sense during running. I know I'm wearing mine when I run in the city 
5 groups of 8-10 with a few minutes in between each group starting and no side by side running.

Our school will have some masks available for kids who forgot theirs, but then are asking families to replace it the next day.  Not sure how well that will work.  But, in answer to your main question, YES.  GTFO.   I would think they should have a designated holding area (near office/clinic maybe) where a kid isn't forced outside in inclement weather or without some level of supervision.  This is an easy decision if they had an option between remote or in person and chose to come to school...follow the rules or get GTFO.  It would be a little dicier if there were no options and all were expected to be in school.  
This. Our district will have 3 designated “health rooms” in each school. One of the health rooms will be an isolation room next to the clinic for anyone experiencing symptoms. If this were to happen at my school, I’d imagine we’d move the child to the room until someone came to pick him/her up. Like others have said, there is an online option. When parents agree to traditional school, they know what they’re signing up for. I also think it is wise to make masks part of the school’s dress code policy as opposed to some sort of separate mandate.

Oldest daughter has been swimming with her team, outdoors, for weeks. :knockonwood:

Michigan has stated fall high school swim can go as planned starting August 12th. One problem, indoor pools still closed under Governors order.

I’m not going to go back and read the last few days worth of posts but...

Today was our second day of training. We’re going distance learning for at least the first quarter.

I’ve never been one to play the “OMG we teachers have it so hard” card but anyone who thinks teachers/schools are getting off easy thanks to distance learning is out of their freaking minds.  

I don’t have the energy to list all of the changes we are making, all of the new tech we have to master, all of the different situations we have to prepare for.  

We had a 4 hour long Zoom training session on all of the different distance learning tech tools we have at our disposal today.  The trainer (from our county sup of schools) asked at the end of the session for everyone to enter a single word into the chat about how we were feeling.  90% of the responses were “overwhelmed”.

Today was our second day of training. We’re going distance learning for at least the first quarter.

I’ve never been one to play the “OMG we teachers have it so hard” card but anyone who thinks teachers/schools are getting off easy thanks to distance learning is out of their freaking minds.  

I don’t have the energy to list all of the changes we are making, all of the new tech we have to master, all of the different situations we have to prepare for.  

We had a 4 hour long Zoom training session on all of the different distance learning tech tools we have at our disposal today.  The trainer (from our county sup of schools) asked at the end of the session for everyone to enter a single word into the chat about how we were feeling.  90% of the responses were “overwhelmed”.
I don't think many in here have blasted the efforts of teachers who are trying to make the best of a horrible situation. 

But there's a difference between the many teachers like that and those who will take advantage of the situation and not put an honest effort into making it work. And that seems to be the experience for some.

My brother is going to drive half an hour to his classroom to teach in front of no students solely so they can air class on CCTV for those without high-speed internet access. Yes, extraordinarly lazy.

Way to post, shady. You keep bringing it daily. 

My brother is going to drive half an hour to his classroom to teach in front of no students solely so they can air class on CCTV for those without high-speed internet access. Yes, extraordinarly lazy.

Yeah God forbid anybody post a difference opinion than others 

How is that lazy?  Seems like a good idea for kids without internet

I don't think many in here have blasted the efforts of teachers who are trying to make the best of a horrible situation. 

But there's a difference between the many teachers like that and those who will take advantage of the situation and not put an honest effort into making it work. And that seems to be the experience for some.
I agree....

I’ll be the first to admit there are crappy teachers...

just like there are crappy cops, firefighters, lawyers, nurses, doctors, plumbers, mechanics, forum mods, cashiers, roofers, insurance agents...and parents.

Omg your brother is driving  a half hour to work? The HORROR
That's not the point. The point is that he's going above and beyond what is required of him and you're still sitting back slagging teachers when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. And your opinion is just that, your opinion. It's wrong, of course, but opinions are like #######s.

That's not the point. The point is that he's going above and beyond what is required of him and you're still sitting back slagging teachers when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. And your opinion is just that, your opinion. It's wrong, of course, but opinions are like #######s.
Listen I'm pro teacher and everything but you have to recognize the irony in lauding someone's level of effort because they drove to their normal place of employment. 

In all seriousness, my take on COVID and going back to school is that is defies good sense for everybody. The students and teachers aren't the only ones who will be affected, it'll be the general public that suffers from the rapid child/child spread or child/adult spread that occurs when this happens. This has major disaster written all over it.

On a weirdly out-of-place personal note, I'm sad I didn't go into politics when I was in my twenties as I'd be a Republican that can actually make some sort of sense of this issue.

Listen I'm pro teacher and everything but you have to recognize the irony in lauding someone's level of effort because they drove to their normal place of employment. 
No, not really. Not if it's in a building conducive to catching the virus with people coming in and out all day that are likely having contact with people exposed to the virus. No, I can't.

And I'll bet a dollar if I scratch just a bit I can find the "pro-teacher" RUSF18 isn't really pro-teacher in the least.

And strangely, I've never been pro-teacher or pro- public union. I think my cohorts in the PSF can attest to that. What I am is about common sense and not the morans that are running the show right now, exposing people needlessly to COVID like they did in Israel when their schools opened back up.

And I'll bet a dollar if I scratch just a bit I can find the "pro-teacher" RUSF18 isn't really pro-teacher in the least.
I'd guess at least 75% of my posts in this thread are praising the teachers in my daughter's school for their efforts in getting all of these young kids to wear masks at all times, primarily by setting the example with their own behavior. 

Apologies that the remaining 25% of my posts weren't about my mother who retired from teaching two years ago after more than 30 years as an elementary school teacher.

And by the way, she would be the first one to rip on you for what you said. 

Live sessions that get recorded should be the norm for remote learning. 

Last edited by a moderator:
G-Dangit I don’t want to get sucked into this.  I’ve always tried to avoid it because I don’t want to go round and round with the non-believers.

I had a nice long post ready to go concerning what most teachers do above and beyond their contract but I deleted it.

Let me relate a quick anecdote instead...

I had a student almost 17 years ago...we’ll call him Tony.  Awesome kid.  Straight A’s, perfect behavior, sharp as a tack.

He became a firefighter (oddly enough he was somewhat undersized).   I had always had him pegged for landing some sort of STEMS job in the private sector.  And I should say that I was proud that he chose a different career path.

A couple of years ago his name popped up in a local news story because he had risen to the position of “public relations director” for one of our local fired departments.  I thought that was totally awesome.   He risen through the ranks of the FD very quickly and made a name for himself.  

Now I’m sure he “earned his spurs” doing all of the things firefighters do...all that absolutely heroic stuff they do.  

But curiosity got the better of me.  I checked him out via the “how much do public employees make” data base.

Again...he’s a great guy and I’m sure for the first 7-8 years of his career he was a frontline grunt.  And I’m pretty sure he earned a BS along the way.

His earnings circa 2016?  Over $300K thanks to overtime. 

And at that point he was not fighting fires etc .  He was no longer saving people or putting his life at risk.  He was traveling around the state/west attending conferences.  He wasn’t even in a managerial position.  

Let me put this in perspective...for 4-5 years ago in my area:

*Teachers with 15 years experience were making about $60k

*For $300k you could buy a 3-4 bedroom house in a very good neighborhood (with a pool) at worst.

*A superintendent of a school district with 6000 kids was making maybe $110k

Which educational platform will you be using?

BTW, I'm an adjunct professor at a local college,  Miami Dade College, and the largest group of adjuncts are day-time public school teachers trying to make a few extra bucks. They're not getting rich in their day jobs.  

I agree....

I’ll be the first to admit there are crappy teachers...

just like there are crappy cops, firefighters, lawyers, nurses, doctors, plumbers, mechanics, forum mods, cashiers, roofers, insurance agents...and parents.
I'm not disparaging all teachers. 3 of my sister in laws are teachers. 2 of them are phenomenal and definitely go above and beyond. The other not so much. Just collecting a paycheck. Just rubs me the wrong way when more and more stories keep coming out about their unions not wanting them to go back to work. Stuff like this comment irks me:

“We are teachers and parents and have read your plan,” the petition states. “We still do not feel safe. We should not return to school unless there has been a minimum of 14 days without new cases. Given the fact that schools have had their budgets slashed, we know this will greatly impact their ability to have adequate custodial personnel needed to clean schools during the day and at night. We do not believe that Chancellor Carranza understands this reality.”

Just seems unreasonable. We all get paid to do a job. If remote learning proved successful id have no issues going that route. But it didn't where I am. It was a disaster for us and for everyone I know. Thats why most people I know want teachers back in school doing their job because so far they haven't. Maybe I'll be proven wrong in September but I doubt it.

Our school district FINALLY made a decision...well sort of.  School starts on 8/19 (sort of).

My kids are going into 3rd and 1st grades.  You can opt-in to online only for the first semester. and ~20% of students have chosen this route.  We have chosen not to go full online b/c both my wife and I work.

They had a hybrid approach in place that was going to be half online and half in person learning.  They were going to make it where elementary school kids would go every day and be either in the AM or PM --- my kids would be in the AM group which is from 8:30-11:30.  I have no idea how having every kid there every day and having to bus each group multiple times is the safest...but here we are.  Oh, and 3 hours a day is an absolute F you to anyone that works.

Last night, the board voted and approved a hybrid-hybrid approach.  Everyone is going to start online for the first 2 weeks.  Then, they are going to basically break the AM/PM groups down again to have 4 total groups and will rotate the kids in. Basically, 25% of the kids will be in the school at one time.  They were unclear how that would be broken up by days, but it would be about 5-8 kids per class to start.  

Then, after two weeks of this, they will go to "full" hybrid of going every day with the AM/PM groups.  Of course, the dates are all subject to change.

They were all patting themselves on the back about how they are introducing the kids to this new environment.  And, I overall don't think it is a bad approach.  However, I would like someone from the school district to lay out a plan of what a typical day of a kid in elementary school will look like.  Kids are in daycare all day and then do all their learning at night?  Have the kids be taught at daycare (then why even have schools?).  We are fortunate that we have grandparents to help on some days (though the risks of that are clearly known) and my wife doesn't work Tuesdays at all and does not work Wednesday mornings, but this is still challenging for us and I can't imagine for those that are not as fortunate to have built in help.  

This whole thing is a mess.  I am very put off by the fact our school board is patting themselves on the back for this great approach.  Why wasn't this laid out months ago... 

First day had some hiccups...we were lucky our home technology worked better than the stuff they were given out.  And all but one class my daughter had the links to Microsoft Teams worked (they are still having trouble with the interface on some of the links that have to be emailed out because the imbedded links won't work on the platform).  There were other connectivity problems I read about...and problems with some of these district wide "gatherings" to listen to presentations and comment on them (where the comments got to be pretty inappropriate...kids gonna be kids).

That said...other counties around are trying to go in person...or hybrid...and continue to delay the start of their year.  I am glad we just went ahead and started.  Get the kinks out with virtual now...is supposed to be til labor day then people have a choice of in person or virtual (if numbers keep improving in Nashville).   But seems in a few weeks time these kids will be used to doing it online while other counties will have not yet started and be scrambling and have a week or so of their own hiccups.

All businesses and the vast majority of the people working in them have had to make massive adjustments to their day to day operations.  Teachers aren't alone. 

Users who are viewing this thread