What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you typically carry cash on your person? (2 Viewers)

If yes, how much do you typically carry?

• NA, I don't typically carry cash on my person

Votes: 57 21.0%
  • $5 or less

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • $5.01 - $10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $10.01 - $20

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • $20.01 - $40

Votes: 42 15.4%
  • $40.01 - $60

Votes: 35 12.9%
  • $60.01 - $100

Votes: 51 18.8%
  • More than$100

Votes: 65 23.9%

• Total voters
On some level this makes sense, but isn’t the whole point of businesses offering alternative payment types to increase revenue? Surely the greater number of purchases enabled by accepting cc, etc. more than offsets the fees cc companies charge.
Right, that's why i said it's a cost of doing business. There's a reason they have it available, its overall net effect on revenue. They will still earn more dollars off my transaction if I pay in cash though. Which is why I do that. 

Terminalxylem said:
Can you explain this to me? I understand merchants pay a cc fee for each transaction involving credit, but tips are taxed the same regardless. Kinda like paying cash for services “under the table”, I feel like cash tips are often a vehicle for tax evasion.
That is exactly what it is. 

I think he is saying he doesn't like tax evasion.
Yep. But like underage drinking and speeding, we’ve collectively decided tax evasion is an acceptable crime, or at least “better” than the alternative.

FTR, I regularly disobey speed limits, and used to pay cash for services much more often, until I thought about the ramifications of doing so.

You guys who never carry any cash, do you ever tip the bagger/parcel pick up person at the grocery store?  Tip a valet driver?  I use a CC for most things, but I still find occasions where cash is helpful.

You guys who never carry any cash, do you ever tip the bagger/parcel pick up person at the grocery store?  Tip a valet driver?  I use a CC for most things, but I still find occasions where cash is helpful.
Well if I'm planning on going out somewhere that there will be a valet or something then I'll be sure to have cash on me. But if I'm running into a valet, that's most likely a planned night out.   My day to day I've never needed a valet. And no I don't tip a bagger

Tip a bagger?  Some of you take tipping too far.
:shrug:  Two of my nephews used to work in grocery stores and they used to get tips all the time.  At the store where I shop, they bag and load your car.  they do not let carts out into the parking lot, so the parcel pick up is pretty standard when making a full shopping trip.  I usually toss them a couple bucks and often bump it up around the busy  holidays and during these recent pandemic months.

I carry my own bags, bag groceries and park my own vehicle, so no.

The only time I ever need cash is while traveling, to tip shuttle bus drivers.

:shrug:  Two of my nephews used to work in grocery stores and they used to get tips all the time.  At the store where I shop, they bag and load your car.  they do not let carts out into the parking lot, so the parcel pick up is pretty standard when making a full shopping trip.  I usually toss them a couple bucks and often bump it up around the busy  holidays and during these recent pandemic months.
You shop at either:      A) the Rolls Royce Grocery Mart   or   B) a store stuck in the 1950s.   Either of which is pretty cool. In DC we are lucky if they even put our food in bags at the register.  Forget taking them to the car.  That would involve effort.

To the question at hand, always have about $200 just in case.  Using Venmo more now but some things like tips are best paid in cash.

Last edited by a moderator:
johnnycakes said:
If your car breaks down and you need a tow, some tow companies don't take credit.  Cash only.  
How much does towing cost nowadays? Leaving an emergency fund in the vehicle kinda makes sense, though I can’t ever recall anyone needing urgent towing, except following an accident. Don’t many auto insurers provide this service?
Everyone you know may drive late-model, reliable vehicles. Or else are excellent roadside mechanics.

Others drive 15-year-old (but paid for!) hunks of junk with all manner of intermittent electrical problems, fuel-pump snafus, cooling system leaks, etc. Tires blow out sometimes. Starters go out all of a sudden with no warning. Stuff like that.

Around here, insurance policies are inconsistent on towing. Automobile insurance here is very expensive (I would bet ~1/3 of all local accidents involve someone w/o insurance -- that raises rates for everyone) and people will shave off this perk and that perk to save a few bucks on their policies.

You guys who never carry any cash ..

.. do you ever tip the bagger/parcel pick up person at the grocery store?
Doesn't really exist around here. The closest you'll see is a cashier with no one in line going over to another lane to half-heartedly bag a few groceries. I am not sure what "parcel pick up" means -- there may or may not be a local analog.

Tip a valet driver? 
Always ... but almost never in a situation where I don't know ahead of time that my car will be valet parked. A very few times valet service has been offered and I knew I didn't have cash to tip, I declined the parking service and parked myself. Fortunately, these were not situations where there was no other option but to use the valet service. All that said, my vehicle might get valet parked once or twice a year, maybe. Last time I used a valet parking service was March 2019, and I don't see another occasion on the horizon.

I use a CC for most things, but I still find occasions where cash is helpful.
Agreed that cash can be helpful. A lot of the instances that it can be helpful, however, are heavily lifestyle dependent. Valet parking, for example, is not an everyday thing for almost everyone I know -- not even a monthly thing.

Tip a bagger?  Some of you take tipping too far.
Seems like more of a holdover from the 1960s-70s, though I know in some areas bagging groceries is still a thing.

Most places, cashiers bag groceries as they scan and they don't get tips for doing so. This was made feasible in the 1980s when automated bar-code readers were introduced. Some cashiers will help fellow cashiers with bagging if they are free. Some stores will add (untipped) baggers for, say, the rush of holiday grocery shopping.

You shop at either:      A) the Rolls Royce Grocery Mart   or   B) a store stuck in the 1950s.   Either of which is pretty cool. In DC we are lucky if they even put our food in bags at the register.  Forget taking them to the car.  That would involve effort.
I don't know if he has one in his hood, but I'm guessing he's referring to Heinen's. Local Cleveland chain. I wouldn't call it a rolls royce grocer, but it is higher end and priced accordingly. I generally only go there for meat, but I know the beer guy at one location and inevitably walk out with a cart full of new #### if he's there too.

And yes tips are frequent there. Wouldn't call it expected though. Friends of mine worked there when they were younger and there's good reason they stayed there off and on from age 16 to post grad. 

Do all the regular groceries do this in your area, or do you shop in kind of a boutique grocery (say, a locally-owned competitor to Whole Foods)? What part of the country is this?

Do all the regular groceries do this in your area, or do you shop in kind of a boutique grocery (say, a locally-owned competitor to Whole Foods)? What part of the country is this?
MAC nailed it...Heinen's. Largely a northeast Ohio chain with a couple locations in Illinois too.  It is the closest grocery to me, so it is a regular spot.  They don't allow the carts to go into the parking lot.  They hold your groceries, give you a number tag to put in your car window, you bring your car around up to the storefront and they bring out the cart with your matching number and load it in the car for you.  I wouldn't call it a boutique grocery, but it is a little higher end than the large scale chains.

Everyone you know may drive late-model, reliable vehicles. Or else are excellent roadside mechanics.

Others drive 15-year-old (but paid for!) hunks of junk with all manner of intermittent electrical problems, fuel-pump snafus, cooling system leaks, etc. Tires blow out sometimes. Starters go out all of a sudden with no warning. Stuff like that.

Around here, insurance policies are inconsistent on towing. Automobile insurance here is very expensive (I would bet ~1/3 of all local accidents involve someone w/o insurance -- that raises rates for everyone) and people will shave off this perk and that perk to save a few bucks on their policies.
My car is 14 years old, and my coworker/climbing buddy’s nearly 20, but fair enough. In general though, the number of broken down vehicles I see on the side of the road has gone down severalfold in the last few decades.

Doesn't really exist around here. The closest you'll see is a cashier with no one in line going over to another lane to half-heartedly bag a few groceries. I am not sure what "parcel pick up" means -- there may or may not be a local analog.

Always ... but almost never in a situation where I don't know ahead of time that my car will be valet parked. A very few times valet service has been offered and I knew I didn't have cash to tip, I declined the parking service and parked myself. Fortunately, these were not situations where there was no other option but to use the valet service. All that said, my vehicle might get valet parked once or twice a year, maybe. Last time I used a valet parking service was March 2019, and I don't see another occasion on the horizon.

Agreed that cash can be helpful. A lot of the instances that it can be helpful, however, are heavily lifestyle dependent. Valet parking, for example, is not an everyday thing for almost everyone I know -- not even a monthly thing.
This is important, and part of the disconnect between those who carry cash and those who don’t. Most of the “emergencies” that mandate cash really just result in being inconvenienced without it.

True.  I forgot how hard it is to do the cash back option.  Like 5 seconds of time you can never get back.
Not sure you can do that with credit cards (I've literally never tried).  Why would I waste even 5 seconds doing that?  That's less convenient than not wasting 5 seconds doing that.  

Not sure you can do that with credit cards (I've literally never tried).  Why would I waste even 5 seconds doing that?  That's less convenient than not wasting 5 seconds doing that.  
Debit cards.

So if you ever need cash for something, how long does it take you to go get it?

Probably longer than the 5 seconds you can spend at the check out.  

Debit cards.

You seem hung up on this idea that I should just want cash in my pocket for no specific reason.  What difference does it make how long it takes to get cash at checkout if I have no use or desire for cash?  It would only take me five seconds to rip some leaves of a tree and stuff them in my pocket, too, but I don't do that either, for the same reasons. 

It's like you guys are mindblown by the idea of not carrying cash at all times.  The reverse isn't true, of course, we know that some people like to carry cash for various reasons and have acknowledged that's perfectly reasonable.  What's going on with you guys that it's so hard to wrap your heads around the concept of not walking around with cash all the time?  Maybe it's different in different parts of the country or something?  

We usually shop at Aldi's. No tips. So obviously we always carry a quarter with us. :bowtie:  

I've used a valet once, because we had to. I did have cash for that. 

I was a valet for a couple months back in college. Second best job I ever had. Made considerable money in tips. (Best job was as a lifeguard)

I always want cash in my pocket.  I have debit cards, but no credit cards.
I feel like this is the opposite side of the no cash crowd. Between the ease of budgeting / tracking, extra security, and cash back, I'll never give up my credit cards. But I do understand that others don't want them.

Debit cards.

I try to keep things as simple as possible. As credit cards offer more utility and security than debit, I carry one cc in addition to my ID. That's it.

I'm willing to risk the minor inconvenience (IMO) that might result from lacking cash, rather than the guaranteed (also minor) inconvenience of obtaining and keeping money on-hand at all times.

I don't even carry a wallet anymore.  I have a phone case with a pocket on the back.  It has my driver's license, my health card, my debit card, and my credit card.  My car doesn't use keys, and I switched my front door to a smart lock.  The only thing I carry around is my phone.

I don't even carry a wallet anymore.  I have a phone case with a pocket on the back.  It has my driver's license, my health card, my debit card, and my credit card.  My car doesn't use keys, and I switched my front door to a smart lock.  The only thing I carry around is my phone.
Fob or something else entirely? 

Bring on the fingertip microchip.

What are the cash guys going to do when we go totally cashless? 

It’s gonna he hard on them. 

As I mentioned before, only carry cash when I'm going to the Farmer's Market on Saturdays.

Used to carry some every day to use at convenience stores and such, but pretty much cut that out when we got the Costco cash back card. We now use that for every bill we pay. Then we just write that one big check at the end of the month.

It's done wonders for us: 

1. We get a nice fat check every year from Costco 

2. We are basically getting anywhere from 1 - 4% cash back on purchases we normally would have used cash/debit card/check for. So we are basically making money on our monthly bills.

I use it EVERYWHERE.  Plus, I don't have to deal with grimy dirty cash anymore on a day to day basis. 

Use our phones and fingerprints?
Then what are people gonna do when we go phoneless?   Or have no fingers?

All things to consider when the time comes.  Cashless won't happen any time soon.  I think cardless would happen before cashless

Then what are people gonna do when we go phoneless?   Or have no fingers?

All things to consider when the time comes.  Cashless won't happen any time soon.  I think cardless would happen before cashless
Cardless could happen. 

But electronic payments are here to stay.

We probably won't go completely cashless in our lifetimes.

Users who are viewing this thread