What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​ 🐘 ​​ 🐴 ​2020 Presidential Debates thread - 2nd Debate October 15 (2 Viewers)

Just to focus on one exchange when Biden laid out steps of an energy plan:

Trump:

"I know wind more than you do."

"It kills all the birds."

"Know what we're going to do? We're going to have the greatest economy in the world."

Biden:

"Not one scientist agrees."

At least I am hearing a plan instead of empty responses. And for his challenges with stuttering, Biden has been coming up with cogent responses.

You might not agree, I'm recognize and am fine with that.

I am not judging how this is landing to others, just telling you how it's landing with me.

What I'm not doing is judging and saying "wow" as a reaction to your opinion.
Sorry, but “wow” was an actual honest reaction not a “judgment.”

As an Independent....I felt .Trump didn't do a good enough job selling his accomplishments while Joe seemed, even on that stage, more "Presidential".    Trump was less about a positive vision for himself and more about a negative vision for BIden....while Biden spoke positively about his future.  I also REALLY didn't like Trumps "Red State/Blue State" narrative....while Joe really hit home in regards to him being a President of ALL the states.  

Already voted for Biden, but don't think he "won" tonight.  Didn't get blown out, but didn't win anything.  I bet he wishes he had that oil question back.  He cleaned it up a little, but there was some damage done there.

Trump not once conveyed an actual plan in any of it.  All it was is how bad Biden is/corrupt Biden is.  Also, blaming certain states is just a huge put off.  

Trump not once conveyed an actual plan in any of it.  All it was is how bad Biden is/corrupt Biden is.  Also, blaming certain states is just a huge put off.  
Sub Biden for Hillary and that strategy worked perfectly in 2016.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it was ironic that he kept repeating that Biden was "all talk, no action," when Trump offered no health plan, no pandemic plan, and continued to just promise his taxes.

But I agree with @WDIK2 in that Biden's comments on oil seemed to come from left field and were not a confidence builder.  Bad stumble, right at the end ...but a powerful closing statement.

Sub Biden for Hillary and that strategy worked perfectly in 2016.  
Hillary was a hated candidate from the get go.  Biden is not perfect but I don't think anyone but party hacks really believes he is corrupt or believes he doesn't care about people.  I would hope that would make a difference.

If this was how he acted all the time, a lot of things would be different. But the man will probably wake up tomorrow, tweet 500 times and say something that will enrage half the country. 
So.....if he lied and bullied all the time.....it would be different?

The first half of the debate he was calm.  Mostly respectful.  He lied non-stop, but his demeanor was better. The 2nd half has been a debacle.

Much better - I’m curious if the threat of the mic being cut had anything to do with it or if both groups decided it was in their best interest.
There really wasn’t a threat of getting cut off. Each first response to a question got 2 minutes for each candidate with only one microphone on. Each topic was supposed to be 15 minutes. So both microphones were on for 11 minutes and they could have spoken at the same time if they wanted. 

Yeah, it was ironic that he kept repeating that Biden was "all talk, no action," when Trump offered no health plan, no pandemic plan, and continued to just promise his taxes.

But I agree with @WDIK2 in that Biden's comments on oil seemed to come from left field and were not a confidence builder.  Bad stumble, right at the end ...but a powerful closing statement.
Not really. Stuff was pretty good before the Covid came over from China. You cant argue Joe had 47 years, 8 of which as VP, not getting any of the plans he talked about done.  Why would anyone give him 3 or 4 more years?  

Not really. Stuff was pretty good before the Covid came over from China. You cant argue Joe had 47 years, 8 of which as VP, not getting any of the plans he talked about done.  Why would anyone give him 3 or 4 more years?  
Trump has had 4 years as President.  He’s built what, 6 feet of the wall?  How big will that new section of wall be by 2024 at this rate?

I look at this as a new data point. 
How you feel now vs how you felt before the debate. 
As a Biden supporter, I feel a little worse. 
if I were a Trump supporter, I’d feel a LOT better. 

Trump repeating that the coronavirus is going away is just so head-bangingly awful. He still can't acknowledge what's going on.

That alone should disqualify him from leading the country. It's either a complete lack of awareness or willful disregard for American citizens. Neither is acceptable.

As a Biden supporter, I feel a little worse
I don't understand this.

Biden is favored. He needed to not perform poorly. He succeeded in that. 

Really nothing tonight that should move the needle at all.

Well I guess Trump could have been a complete disaster like last debate.  Guess if you compare debates this one went much better for Trump but I don't think Biden was bad and held his own.  Trump needed a slam dunk and I don't think he got it.  I feel about the same before and after this debate.

Because Trump acted slightly less like a toddler and somehow that’s going to convince the fence-sitters who don’t exist
Incidentally, like always when he somehow finds strong enough sedatives to not go completely nuts for an hour or two, he’ll make everyone forget it within 24-36 hours by reverting back to his baseline and saying/tweeting/doing insane things again. That’s the cycle.

All that matters is people that haven’t made up their minds and how it impacted them. Trump fans will say he killed it. Biden supporters will say he was strong. It’s pretty unlikely this debate will get people to switch sides. There aren’t a lot of undecideds, and Trump needs all of them. Not sure the split of undecideds will be far from right down the middle. So in that regard Biden won. I doubt the debate will net many votes. 

Tonight's debate is like this for me...  I judge trump like I do my 7 year old when I review her elementary math work.  Basic, simple, nothing hard, and give her a congrats for not messing up 9 - 3.  Biden, is more like my 11 year old, and I push more more details, explanations or formulas.  Based on these criteria, trump gets the nudge.  

Oil industry comment was the only gaffe I saw from Biden, which indeed won’t play well in the oil states, which are all voting Trump regardless.   The real problem with the comment is it’s going to haunt him every time national energy policy gets discussed.

Charlotte Swasey @charlotteeffect

Preliminary results from the @DataProgress snap debate poll: A majority of voters who watched the debate say Biden won (52% Biden, 41% Trump, 7% undecided) and moderates in particular think Biden won by a 2:1 margin

10:27 PM · Oct 22, 2020

Data for Progress does some of the best post-debate polls. While networks’ post-debate snap polls often skew heavily towards college grads, DFP re-weights the sample to resemble the actual electorate.

Overall, the topline result (52-41) is pretty much identical to the national polling average right now. People’s heels are dug in.

This makes perfect sense if you judge the candidates from different levels.  trump didn't act like a 5 year old.  huge win.  Biden didn't give enough details about his plans or explain them thoroughly enough, downtick... 

President Trump was masterful when he got Biden to go off script ending oil.  Combine that with the fracking outright lie and there’s a real issue here for voters in PA, TX, OK, OH, West Va, etc. Great job Mr. President!
Well, except for those that live near the refineries, making a lot of money! while they deal with illness and death from the pollutants.  And except for minorities, where families still must have "the talk," but only heard how wonderful the president has been for them.  (Lots of money for the HBCU, if they live long enough to make it there.)  And except for the 22,000 first responders who are DACA (fact check?).  And except for the suburban housewives that, like Biden, emphasize with the 500 kids left alone without their parents.  

All that matters is people that haven’t made up their minds and how it impacted them. Trump fans will say he killed it. Biden supporters will say he was strong. It’s pretty unlikely this debate will get people to switch sides. There aren’t a lot of undecideds, and Trump needs all of them. Not sure the split of undecideds will be far from right down the middle. So in that regard Biden won. I doubt the debate will net many votes. 
Like I said, IMO Trump's inability to address people and the way that he comes off that "hey, stocks are at an all time high" hurts with people deciding between the two.  He did much better tonight and had some good points, but he just can't shake that aspect of himself.  

This makes perfect sense if you judge the candidates from different levels.  trump didn't act like a 5 year old.  huge win.  Biden didn't give enough details about his plans or explain them thoroughly enough, downtick... 
I was pleasantly surprised about his candid answer about why his administration didn't get more done. Of course Republicans in congress obstructing everything was the problem. I didn't think he'd go there and am glad he did. 

Users who are viewing this thread