What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (3 Viewers)

Would be lame if those voting against are facing a team with Covid problems and don't want to give an inch.
It's tempting to think this will be the source of a lot of naysaying. With a smattering of "can't change 'the rules' midseason!"

Would be lame if those voting against are facing a team with Covid problems and don't want to give an inch.
I hate to be cynical but that was my first thought. They must be playing team Mahommes/Tyree/Edelman or something. :(   

Our league is allowing people that want to play players in KC vs NE to designate a backup in case the game gets cancelled on Monday. They obviously have to get it in before 1pm tomorrow. Seems like a fair approach as you only get the backups points if the game is cancelled.

Covid should have been discussed before the season with the understanding that rules can change on the fly specifically related to Covid 
Perhaps. I don't think a lot of people thought in terms of games being scratched. Players getting scratched shortly before kickoff was more of a concern for the folks I play with.

I don't know ... how many possible outcomes were easy to foretell, and thus plan for?

Perhaps. I don't think a lot of people thought in terms of games being scratched. Players getting scratched shortly before kickoff was more of a concern for the folks I play with.

I don't know ... how many possible outcomes were easy to foretell, and thus plan for?
The MLB season provided a pretty good idea of things that were likely to happen to NFL teams this season, including rescheduled and potentially canceled games.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm thinking of shutting down the waiver wire and using the player pool as a community best ball bench. If teams get to a point they don't have enough players to field a team they would get the highest score from the waiver pool for the player at their position. And yes, the same player could score for multiple teams. In a 12 team league with 17 roster spots and 9 starters one of the teams is down 9 players if you count the 2 he didn't use on Thursday.

Thoughts, suggestions??
Thought about this some more.  How about coming up with a predetermined score for each starting position, based on the median average seen so far this year, and then (maybe) devaluing the score slightly?  Owners automatically get the points if they leave a starting spot open.   The goal is to keep owners from getting totally screwed, while at the same time keeping working the WW as an integral part of the game.

The MLB season provided a pretty good idea of things that were likely to happen to NFL teams this season, including rescheduled and potentially canceled games.
I can agree in retrospect. While MLB did have to reschedule games, it is much easier for them to do so than it is for the NFL. Accordingly, MLB likely had "rescheduling games" as more of a go-to COVID measure than the NFL would. For the NFL -- thinking about things as they were in late August -- "rescheduling games" probably sounded like a last resort.

Perhaps some fantasy players were influenced by the relatively small number of positives among NFL players in August and early September. Looked like things could be manageable.

Covid should hav been discussed before the season with the understanding that rules can change on the fly specifically related to Covid 
That’s exactly how we did it in my league. I brought everybody together to first ask if we wanted to do the season, and with that agreement that we wanted to try it that I would be given some latitude as commissioner to make rules changes on the fly, as the situation demands.

unprecedented times call for flexibility.

Perhaps some fantasy players were influenced by the relatively small number of positives among NFL players in August and early September. Looked like things could be manageable.
preseason was something of a bubble for the NFL. And in that light, they were as successful as hockey & the NBA were.

once the season started, they followed the baseball model… Which was nowhere near as successful as the bubble was. MLB experienced several cancellations of series and outages, followed by doubleheaders and make up games.

i’ve said since before the preseason and I continue to believe that the NFL was really dumb for following the least successful model one they have the most time to figure this out. You simply can’t have an NFL “doubleheader“. Their only option is to cancel and reschedule again. And I only have so much flexibility for when they can schedule a make up date.

if this goes on, I expect there will be cancellations with no make up dates. That’s when the season starts looking like a disaster.

The situation is rapidly deteriorating. This isn’t like baseball where you can makeup games on off days or by having double headers.
Any of the high-school football systems where you all live have jamborees? That's where three teams show up to a stadium and play a quarter or a half of football against each of the other two opponents. Tickets are sold and parents, fans, bands, dance teams, etc. attend/perform.

For HS teams locally, jamborees are used as kind of a pre-season tune-up -- an intermediate step between scrimmages (no tickets sold, few or no parents/fans in the stands) and a full-fledged regular season game. Well, the NFL might have to consider something crazy like a jamboree format to get in "double-headers" if necessary.
Well ... you can kind of have double-headers in the NFL. Probably would never fly -- they'd probably go with an unbalanced schedule first.

Listening to the radio, they had a local reporter for one of the teams on… I came into it late so I don’t know for which team. They asked if he felt the game would be played or canceled, and he referred to a call he made to a player on whichever team that was, who said they felt it was very likely to be canceled. A lot of players don’t even want to get on an airplane right now. (Which makes me think it was the Pats beat writer)

again, I heard this on the radio on the way back from my farmers market and have no idea who the reporter was who called in nor do I know which player it was he allegedly spoke with. 

I think a viable option might be to just agree to start one less player this week if your opponent is impacted.  So if Ceh ends up not playing, my opponent loses the score of one of his rbs (designated a head of time).  Not perfect but better than some options - like for kicker and defense for sure

I think they're erring on the side of caution early in the season when they still have some wiggle room in terms of rescheduling games.

They don't have to reschedule a game every time someone on a team tests positive, indeed the whole structure of the enlarged practice squads was meant to facilitate games still being played with players who tested positive sitting out.

At the risk of stating the obvious, there are enormous financial incentives for the NFL and the players to play the games and complete the season, so they will be powerfully motivated to do so.

Listening to the radio, they had a local reporter for one of the teams on… I came into it late so I don’t know for which team. They asked if he felt the game would be played or canceled, and he referred to a call he made to a player on whichever team that was, who said they felt it was very likely to be canceled. A lot of players don’t even want to get on an airplane right now. (Which makes me think it was the Pats beat writer)

again, I heard this on the radio on the way back from my farmers market and have no idea who the reporter was who called in nor do I know which player it was he allegedly spoke with. 
It had to be NE. There have been multiple reports that there are multiple players that don’t want to play the game. I am pretty sure they would not even want to practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm thinking of shutting down the waiver wire and using the player pool as a community best ball bench. If teams get to a point they don't have enough players to field a team they would get the highest score from the waiver pool for the player at their position. And yes, the same player could score for multiple teams. In a 12 team league with 17 roster spots and 9 starters one of the teams is down 9 players if you count the 2 he didn't use on Thursday.

Thoughts, suggestions??
Hate it

It would be in NE's best interest not to play the game so they can have a healthy Cam when they do.
so...that brings up an interesting point. 

Disclaimer: Patriots fans may want to tune out for this one, as it may contain triggering issues. 

Let’s just say the Patriots as an organization have been known to say, bend the rules, from time to time. Some may go as far as to say they’ve cheated.

In that light, might the Pats be inclined to claim a couple of players have tested positive (whether they have or haven’t) so they could have Cam back and not have to play at KC witH Hoyer at QB? 
:o  

I’m just askin the question. :shrug:  

We have decided to add 2 more bench spots that will be available to fill during waivers next week.  We also will stop charging a fee for FA transactions so teams are free to make roster changes as things change.

Disclaimer: Patriots fans may want to tune out for this one, as it may contain triggering issues. 

Let’s just say the Patriots as an organization have been known to say, bend the rules, from time to time. Some may go as far as to say they’ve cheated.

In that light, might the Pats be inclined to claim a couple of players have tested positive (whether they have or haven’t) so they could have Cam back and not have to play at KC witH Hoyer at QB? 

🤣

Lay off the conspiracy stuff.  Next you'll be suggesting they let the air out of the footballs to make them easier to grip.

We have decided to add 2 more bench spots that will be available to fill during waivers next week.  We also will stop charging a fee for FA transactions so teams are free to make roster changes as things change.
Get ready to add a mid-season CFL/Arena League player draft to your league.

I've said all along that the owners will get their broadcast money. One way or another.

The Tuesday plan doesn't make sense. Your going to see patriot positive tests trickle in over the next week or so just like titans.

They need to take a two week break, get bubbles set up for all essential organization staff, and go from there. I'm not optimistic and it sucks

It had to be NE. There have been multiple reports that there are multiple players that don’t want to play the game. I am pretty sure they would not even want to practice.
BB doesn’t want to play without Cam. The rest of the minions play the “scared to travel” card. :lmao:

Or maybe Belichick plants the thought of the dangers(C19) of flying to his players in the hopes they openly express their fears. I think this would motivate the league to play it safe for liability reasons. 

If Chiefs play Tuesday instead, they will have to play 3 games in 10 days. 
Right now there is a bigger and bigger chance that the Bills/Titans game next week will get pushed to Monday or Tuesday (or moved entirely). If that happens, no way will the Bills and Chiefs play on Thursday night.

Covid should hav been discussed before the season with the understanding that rules can change on the fly specifically related to Covid 
It was discussed in my league. With the decision being every team has the same chance of something happening to it so let's just role with it as is.  Already a lot of luck in fantasy might as well just add one more thing to it this crazy year. 

I'd have to disagree. One owner in our league would have 7 guys out this week between PIT TEN KC & NE. Saturday injuries happen to ONE player. Not a whole team. Obviously his opponent would benefit tremendously. Thats not only  unfair to that owner but its also unfair to the rest of the league when one owner is essentially granted a gift win
Yes but this is his bye week so not sure its as big an issue as you are saying

It was discussed in my league. With the decision being every team has the same chance of something happening to it so let's just role with it as is.  Already a lot of luck in fantasy might as well just add one more thing to it this crazy year. 
I like this approach rather than trying to play God when sooner or later even your decisions are going to be unfair to some teams.

Now if things warrant a rule change mid season, we will do that but I'm not panicking yet.   Right now this could become a bye week for teams and worst case its like having an injured  player where you don't know if he starts on Monday night football.  Its bad luck for sure but the Commish can only do so much to control it.

As comish in one of my leagues, this is what I'm doing.

Everyone who has KC/NE players basically have to send me an "If/Then" player statement prior to kickoff tmrw. I will then adjust scores manually if need be.
This is also what I am doing in the league I commish. I feel it makes it fair because if a team has Mahomes and come Sunday night or Monday morning the game is cancelled it just makes it unfair for that team and the rest of the league. 

They need to take a two week break, get bubbles set up for all essential organization staff, and go from there. I'm not optimistic and it sucks
100% this. This is how they need to do it. Either do it right, or quit screwing around. 

This weekend should be the giant flashing red light for the league that what they’re doing is not enough. 

If they wanna do it, they need a bubble. They need everyone involved with the game to be isolated for the rest of the season. 

If they are unwilling to do that, we can expect more of this. It’s just science. 

Or maybe Belichick plants the thought of the dangers(C19) of flying to his players in the hopes they openly express their fears. I think this would motivate the league to play it safe for liability reasons. 
There are many possibilities. :shrug:

There could be many truths. But it’s fair to ask all of these questions. 

In one league I proposed we have a bid on players as a contingency. Only can bid on a player at the same position as the starting player that was postponed. The contingency player has to start. If game not postponed your original desired guy must start if active and game is played and scored in week 4. If game is not played then contingency is in starting line up and dropped prior to waiver claims Wednesday, and original player added back to roster automatically. If bids are for same guy, then tie breaker is reverse order of current standings. This is more work for me but I think it will work ok. If it does we will use this protocol each week. It could be a lot of work if there are many games postponed. Which makes it annoying for a commish. I hope we don’t get more than two postponed games per week going forward. 

Titans Bills is either unlikely now or not all Titans are playing. Ya gotta note the return protocol not just the quarantine protocol

There's the question of whether these games get played and then there's the question of how to "handicap" them. Crazy town...

NE/KC will be postponed and this will be their bye week. The league will announce it before the early games kick off tomorrow. Book it. 

it’s just a band aid though. This season is spiraling down the toilet. 
A vocal segment of mlb fans were saying the same thing early August

Titans Bills is either unlikely now or not all Titans are playing. Ya gotta note the return protocol not just the quarantine protocol
Care to elaborate? My understanding is the positive tests must continue over the coming days for it to be threatened. 

A vocal segment of mlb fans were saying the same thing early August
Baseball and football aren’t comparable. Is the NFL going to play doubleheaders? Games that are three quarters long?  Maybe they’ll get through the season and play til April, but as far as fantasy football goes, this isn’t looking good at all. 

Baseball and football aren’t comparable. Is the NFL going to play doubleheaders? Games that are three quarters long?  Maybe they’ll get through the season and play til April, but as far as fantasy football goes, this isn’t looking good at all. 
Spread among a team across different sports are strong comparisons. MLB got their spread under control after an early scare. Now it's the NFL's turn. 

Any gamer that came into this season expecting anything less than chaos only has themselves to blame. Adapt or die. 

Spread among a team across different sports are strong comparisons. MLB got their spread under control after an early scare. Now it's the NFL's turn. 

Any gamer that came into this season expecting anything less than chaos only has themselves to blame. Adapt or die. 
Right. Got things “under control” by playing seven inning double headers. What is the NFL answer to that? They simply can’t cancel and make up games like baseball can. The MLB season was a farce anyway. We refunded our owners in the league I run 3 weeks into the season and played for free. 

Nobody I play with expected the season to go off without a hitch. The league is going to have to change course and make some adjustments  if they plan on finishing the season before March though. We’re three weeks in and four teams are most likely already going to use their bye week, affecting even more team’s schedules. Not good. Just my opinion. 

Users who are viewing this thread