What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (2 Viewers)

Titans Bills is either unlikely now or not all Titans are playing. Ya gotta note the return protocol not just the quarantine protocol
The latter still seems possible.  If you test negative and have been quarantined since early this week...

They have several different options at their disposal. I'm not going to pretend to know which one they will choose from my couch. It isn't an issue though. Not yet anyway. Spread control is the priority. Focus on that and schedule gymnastics won't be as difficult. 

Spread control is the priority.
I agree with this which is why the NFL "plan" seemed pretty flawed in the first place when compared to the NBA/NHL.

Try this. Squeeze all the toothpaste out of the tube. Try putting all that toothpaste back in the tube. "Keeping the toothpaste IN the tube should have been the priority."

I commission my league, and brought options to the table knowing this could happen. My league mates said “let’s just embrace the chaos” and voted to just keep our short 5 person bench and not add IR spots. 

So, here we are. No special rules are going to be created mid season. People knew this could happen. And it can happen again. Let chaos reign. Prepare for the worst.
Your league, my local league, and countless others can set and stick to rules.  It's disappointing that FFPC can not.  Or really, doesn't want to for whatever reason.  I'd even be ok with a change at the start of next week with ample warning.  A Saturday rule change is crap.

What if Matt Ryan comes down with covid Monday morning, will they extend the same bail out to his owners Monday afternoon?

I think we are starting to see the flaw of point of contact testing. You might test negative in the moment but still become infected after the incubation period. If the fall predictions are accurate regarding the virus there could easily be an interruption to the season. 

What if Matt Ryan comes down with covid Monday morning, will they extend the same bail out to his owners Monday afternoon?
.... or if his parents get in a car wreck and he unexpectedly doesn't play? IMO that was harder to see coming than the possibility that a player might test positive for Covid this season. Why on earth would a Covid test result in a "dog ate my homework" get-out-of-jail-free card?

If they started letting teams add players the FBG subscriber contest this week I would never play the contest again. IMO that was part of the strategy going into it. 

I think we are starting to see the flaw of point of contact testing. You might test negative in the moment but still become infected after the incubation period. If the fall predictions are accurate regarding the virus there could easily be an interruption to the season. 
If nothing changes in the NFL from where they are now, I think you are already seeing more than just an interruption to the season.

That's why it was so premature for the all the high-fives regarding the NFL beating covid.... before the all the NFL teams had actually played road games. Exact same thing happened in baseball. 

You won't see many of those posts though, because as soon as a player tested positive for Covid the "How many games with the NFL get in?" thread mysteriously was deemed as inconsequential and shut down. 

NE/KC will be postponed and this will be their bye week. The league will announce it before the early games kick off tomorrow. Book it. 

it’s just a band aid though. This season is spiraling down the toilet. 
agree with this, all of this

One thing I would like to see is that anybody that tests positive and causes a game to be rescheduled should not be able to play in the rescheduled game.  If you're the idiot that caused all these problems then you should be forced to sit out the rescheduled game.

If nothing changes in the NFL from where they are now, I think you are already seeing more than just an interruption to the season.

That's why it was so premature for the all the high-fives regarding the NFL beating covid.... before the all the NFL teams had actually played road games. Exact same thing happened in baseball. 

You won't see many of those posts though, because as soon as a player tested positive for Covid the "How many games with the NFL get in?" thread mysteriously was deemed as inconsequential and shut down. 
I do think the NFL will make an attempt to get creative with how they proceed with the season. It could be a month delay. It could be a shortened season with a bubble playoffs. They expected the infections. I would also expect them to learn and adapt as the season progresses. 

One thing I would like to see is that anybody that tests positive and causes a game to be rescheduled should not be able to play in the rescheduled game.  If you're the idiot that caused all these problems then you should be forced to sit out the rescheduled game.
I'd like to find out how these guys contracted the virus. We saw the Raider players at a charity. I would think anything like this would be off limits and subject to a big fine or suspension. If everybody is careful along with the testing this can work. Obviously this is not gonna happen so there will be infections. 

Many people in the general population are contracting the virus from family members. Some have kids who are going to in-person school.  How would you determine how someone got the virus?

This season is spiraling down the toilet. 
2 Games, c'mon now man, hold it together will you?

I'm kidding, I'm right there with you but let's also lighten it up just a smidge, at least we are just trying to figure a way to be creative so we can continue to have fun/gamble/tryToEscape from reality a little bit. It's all entertainment and it's beating the heck out of movie theaters at the moment. 

🤙

Many people in the general population are contracting the virus from family members. Some have kids who are going to in-person school.  How would you determine how someone got the virus?
Not only that but when you are dealing with a test where there can be as high as 37% false negatives you can't rule out that a teammate that originally gave the virus to the rest of the team might be the third or thirteenth player on the team to actually come back with a positive test. 

To be perfectly clear 20 somethings are going to act like 20 somethings. If anyone was pretending that the size of these rosters and coaching staffs wasn't going to play a huge part in compliance were absolutely kidding themselves from the jump. It's not on the players to devise and setup a bubble(or more likely bubbles) for the league to isolate and operate in. That's why the owners get more than half the profits to set all this up so that we can watch the players do what they do best. If you didn't have at least a streak of invulnerability in you then you probably never would have made the NFL in the first place.

The people I feel bad for are so many of the coaches that seem to be in high vulnerability groups. I'm sure they would have loved to have the NFL pony up the money for bubbles and an adjusted schedule. Those are the guys that have a higher risk of losing their lives over all this. Although we really don't know the long term respiration impact of Covid on a young athlete yet either. It seems like different people are impacted differently months after contracting it.

I know you mean well and you probably didn't think thru this a lot but if you lived where I do in South Florida you would find this statement pretty offensive. 

You can catch this rather easily from minors and younger folks, people who do mask up are sometimes subject to ridicule, where exactly do we point the finger? 

These players are traveling and certainly not in any secure bubble, are you sure you can pin it on 1 player for each team? 

I don't see how delaying the season 2 weeks would do anything.  There would still be some players with positive tests after they start back up.

I mean I thought we were all prepared for this to be how it happens.  We all had discussions about COVID positive players being allowed on the IR.  We had discussions about Zeke leapfrogging CMC/Saquon in drafts because they were more likely to miss time from COVID since he's already had it, etc.  We were anticipating a bunch of players missing time due to COVID, so now that a few have gotten COVID why are we throwing our hands up and saying "that's it, this isn't working, season over!".  We expected this.

A bubble would be ideal but it's just not feasible.  32 practice fields, 10 live game fields, 5000+ people all away from their family for 6 months.  Not realistic.

We had discussions about Zeke leapfrogging CMC/Saquon in drafts because they were more likely to miss time from COVID since he's already had it, etc. 
which, update, may not be the case we now know. 

Glad I got Zeke though all other things considered. Who knew it wouldn’t be COVID that pushed Zeke ahead of CMC & Saquan though. :shrug:  

A bubble would be ideal but it's just not feasible.  32 practice fields, 10 live game fields, 5000+ people all away from their family for 6 months.  Not realistic.
"A bubble" might not be feasible but multiple bubbles would absolutely have been feasible. Even if it mean(gasp) the regular season schedule might have had to change or even shorten. 

If it was player opt-in then players are choosing to be away from their families or not. 

Totally realistic.

I want you to have fun laughing at me...so we start 2 RBs and I went Kamara-Henderson

SAT Gordon 😂

Already bad enough I guessed wrong but now with Kamara possibly OUT tomorrow with the rest of the Saints and perhaps Lions...

Add in Hill likely OUT and I am having fun on the roller coaster this weekend. 

Wait until folks wake up in the morning and see this, heck we might see a couple more teams test positive before the games tomorrow, the night is YOUNG!

Last edited by a moderator:
I want you to have fun laughing at me...so we start 2 RBs and I went Kamara-Henderson

SAT Gordon 😂

Already bad enough I guessed wrong but now with Kamara possibly OUT tomorrow with the rest of the Saints and perhaps Lions...

Add in Hill likely OUT and I am having fun on the roller coaster this weekend. 

Wait until folks wake up in the morning and see this, heck we might see a couple more teams test positive before the games tomorrow, the night is YOUNG!
[becauseyouallcare]

Couple days ago, I had this line-up going into one of my money leagues:

QB P Mahomes
RB A Kamara
RB J Conner
WR J Jones
WR K Golladay
TE T Kelce
FLEX M Davis, Carolina
D Kansas City
K J Myers

Depending on cancellations, that line-up might turn into:

QB N Foles
RB M Gaskin
RB M Davis, Carolina
WR J Jones
WR T McLaurin or K Cole
TE M Alie-Cox
FLEX D Freeman, NY Giants
D Jacksonville
K J Myers

[/becauseyouallcare]

When, exactly, did Cam test +? 

do we know? 

Since we know there’s a 5-day metric, that seems important. 
I thought Newton tested positive this morning (Saturday, October 3rd). Going to verify.

EDIT: Glad I went and checked -- Newton apparently tested positive sometime on Friday:

"Late last night, we received notice that a Patriots player tested positive for COVID-19. The player immediately entered self-quarantine," the Patriots said in a statement Saturday.

Yikes!!  Does the NFL REALLY want to play all the games on Sunday?  I guess most of them are still OK, but damn, they need to get this under control.

Just goes to show how much community transmission is raging out there. For every positive test (about 50k/day) I bet there are x5 that many not tested.

FB Michael Burton received an initial positive COVID-19 test and is being re-tested to confirm, source said. In addition, the team is testing his close contacts.  

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

Others as in everyone who flew on the plane breathing the same circulated air?
FB Michael Burton tested positive. Kamara and three other players sat near him have been tested, presumably they’ll test everyone eventually.
Supposedly, Gayle Benson sprung for a larger charter jet this year that allows the Saints players to spread out while flying to away games. Guess we'll see.

How can they play the Saints game and the Patriots game?  I can take 5-7 days for someone to test positive after getting it (incubation period).  There's no way this close to game time they'll know if more will test positive.  It puts coaches and the other teams at risk.

Scroll up, Saints landed and someone test positive and in a cabin of recirculated air likely infected others
I thought flying was relatively safe. If you wear a mask. If you wear a mask the entire flight.
No schtick -- I'm not aware that a plane's HVAC is a particular problem that exacerbates COVID spread. I always took the disease risk of flying more because of the close quarters and proximity to others.

Users who are viewing this thread