What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (2 Viewers)

Just heard on SportsCenter Schefter is saying game could be played Monday or Tuesday. No way that happens right?

Oh my bad... I must have missed your outrage when this exact same thing happened last week to a non patriot.

Please feel free to share the link to that week's moral compass post. :popcorn:

Let's not add gaslighting to your list of offenses here. 
Please stop old friend, you are way off here. I don't have to explain myself but many others were just finding out about Atlanta in here over the last hour, and you didn't go for any of those people. You are coming across very tribal over New England, again please let's not go there. 

Just heard on SportsCenter Schefter is saying game could be played Monday or Tuesday. No way that happens right?
I am guessing they are waiting to see if others test positive, if Cam is asymptotic, etc. They took that approach with TEN and PIT game at first. 

Fingers crossed for no more positives. But even if that's the case its terrible optics to play IMO.

In the interest of full disclosure I'm a Patriots homer and really don't want to see Hoyer/Stidham take on the Chiefs. So feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be shocked if the NE/KC game is played this week. Have to think more infections are coming in short order.

TN infections keep trickling in to the point that NEXT week's game is in jeopardy.

What a mess.

The NFL is trying not to panic. But unless player and staff behavior are better monitored and restricted, this is just the beginning. 
“Don’t panic. But if you’re going to panic ... panic first.”

The NFL could very well have to choose between losing (or even just postponing) a week now and the entire rest of the season in a couple of weeks. The former seems the obvious choice, which is why I’m confident they’ll choose the latter.

They should just cancel all games this week, next week if necessary, and move the schedule forward. Play week 4 and/or 5 at the end of the season if necessary. Maybe get things under control by then.
They could just pause the schedule and pick it up in two weeks. I just don’t see how they finish the season without some changes. What they are doing obviously isn’t working. 

“Don’t panic. But if you’re going to panic ... panic first.”

The NFL could very well have to choose between losing (or even just postponing) a week now and the entire rest of the season in a couple of weeks. The former seems the obvious choice, which is why I’m confident they’ll choose the latter.
If they didn’t have such a superior product to other sports the ineptitude of the collective group of owners would be in the forefront every year.

I'm working with the Commish in my league to open up the rosters big time heading into the weekend. Allow teams to taxi on whatever they need to field a starting roster, there's lots of warm bodies on the waiver wire but "warm" is a loose term here. 

Taxi them on Tonight/Tomorrow Morning, put them back on the waiver wire in time for Wed Night...just not sure what else to do.

It's a logistics nightmare as a Commish having to manually do all this stuff, but it is what it is right now. 

Would love to hear what others are planning on doing or have in place already. 

Ugh. Just had to do another contingency topic for player subs for KC/NEP. 

Hopefully the game will indeed be moved to MNF,  but I’m suspecting other Pats will test positive. 

They could just pause the schedule and pick it up in two weeks. I just don’t see how they finish the season without some changes. What they are doing obviously isn’t working. 
Agree, and kind of what I meant. Only hitch is they played a game this week already and would affect fantasy, which is a big money component now in football. Suppose they could just have the Jets and Broncos off the week they pick back up.

Fingers crossed for no more positives. But even if that's the case its terrible optics to play IMO.

In the interest of full disclosure I'm a Patriots homer and really don't want to see Hoyer/Stidham take on the Chiefs. So feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt.
That’s the only way the season works though. Separated infected players and carry on. We knew this from the beginning- it wasn’t possible no one would get sick.

Agree, and kind of what I meant. Only hitch is they played a game this week already and would affect fantasy, which is a big money component now in football. Suppose they could just have the Jets and Broncos off the week they pick back up.
Good point. What a mess. 

That’s the only way the season works though. Separated infected players and carry on. We knew this from the beginning- it wasn’t possible no one would get sick.
I get why the league/owners want to play. At what point do the players demand their safety be taken into account?

Only other hitch about moving the schedule forward is stadium availabilty, if other events are going on. Less of a problem at this time during the pandemic where most events were already postponed. But maybe an isolated issue or two.

If Chiefs game is moved to Tuesday  would that count for this weekend's games or week 5??? 

I get why the league/owners want to play. At what point do the players demand their safety be taken into account?
I think due to the already dangerous nature of their sport and their relatively short careers, football players are probably more likely than other sports players to want to continue to play.

I think you're right, but there is some threshold after which that all falls apart and the system can't hold. I'm not sure where it is, and I don't know that anybody does, but to go forward with the season they need to demonstrate they are on the manageable side of that line. So far that seems dubious. I do think you're right though, I just hope teams are able to keep it within whatever that level of tolerance is. The greyness doesn't help.

If Chiefs game is moved to Tuesday  would that count for this weekend's games or no in FF? 
Yes, this week. At least MFL already said as much. I'd assume other platforms follow. May have to make an adjustment on those sites to when they post final results, but that should be relatively easy to fix.

I think due to the already dangerous nature of their sport and their relatively short careers, football players are probably more likely than other sports players to want to continue to play.
That's what I think too. Which makes so surprising that players like Damien Williams and Allen Hurns opted out. They will get their roster bonus, but only  $150,000 as a salary stipend.

I'm working with the Commish in my league to open up the rosters big time heading into the weekend. Allow teams to taxi on whatever they need to field a starting roster, there's lots of warm bodies on the waiver wire but "warm" is a loose term here. 

Taxi them on Tonight/Tomorrow Morning, put them back on the waiver wire in time for Wed Night...just not sure what else to do.

It's a logistics nightmare as a Commish having to manually do all this stuff, but it is what it is right now. 

I immediately turned on continuous waivers and expanded rosters by a spot tomorrow. This should alleviate some roster pinch’s. Also will be reverting back on Tuesday.  

Not doing anything yet.  Right now, we only have one game of juggling bye weeks.  Is it fair for a GM to have players that never have a bye week?

Its a difficult situation for sure but I don't know that throwing all the normal rules out the window yet, is where I want to go.

I have been saying since before the new CBA was being negotiated that for the health and longevity of the players AND for the quality of the product for the NFL that players really shouldn't be playing games for more than 4 straight weeks. That was pre-Covid, just based on injuries and CTE. This would have been the perfect season to give the teams more bye weeks so that you could more easily adjust schedules if there were covid related complications. Right now with only a few days to recover and prepare the THU games are pretty wretched to watch and the NFL won't even change that. That's not a covid problem, it's just a greed problem.
Just wanted to post that the red is a good, fresh take that I had not seen before. Makes a ton of sense.

Going into tomorrow the PoC test results for Sunday will be huge. If there are no positive tests tomorrow we'll see the game probably kicked to Monday Night. If we get another positive or group of them I don't see how those teams play next week.

The situation is rapidly deteriorating. This isn’t like baseball where you can makeup games on off days or by having double headers.
Any of the high-school football systems where you all live have jamborees? That's where three teams show up to a stadium and play a quarter or a half of football against each of the other two opponents. Tickets are sold and parents, fans, bands, dance teams, etc. attend/perform.

For HS teams locally, jamborees are used as kind of a pre-season tune-up -- an intermediate step between scrimmages (no tickets sold, few or no parents/fans in the stands) and a full-fledged regular season game. Well, the NFL might have to consider something crazy like a jamboree format to get in "double-headers" if necessary.

Or else unbalanced schedules, which is probably on the table even if not addressed publicly by the league.

I’ve been concerned about that since day 1.

At one point do the players, especially veterans decide to go all Eric Cartman en masse, “screw this, I’m going home.”

that’s a legitimate concern at this point I fear. 

This is starting to feel like an O'Henry story.

The player on the Chiefs might have taken his scout team duties way to far this week. LOL.

I know this is not a joking matter but the only player to test positive so far on NE is Cam and the only player to test negative so far on the Chiefs is the practice squad QB who played the Cam role all week.

Going into tomorrow the PoC test results for Sunday will be huge. If there are no positive tests tomorrow we'll see the game probably kicked to Monday Night. If we get another positive or group of them I don't see how those teams play next week.
They don’t do any testing on Sunday. 

I didn’t realize I was in the Cam thread when I posted it but I’ll repost here. The NFL should consider temporarily shutting things down before this gets totally out of control. They won’t of course, but it would probably be smart to do so. They can survive a two week shutdown more so than trying to do what they are currently doing
Yep.

The league year runs through the first week of March. Would it really be disastrous to be flexible, shuffle things around, and end up with a late February or early March Super Bowl?

Yep.

The league year runs through the first week of March. Would it really be disastrous to be flexible, shuffle things around, and end up with a late February or early March Super Bowl?
Probably not. Maybe some teams they need change venues. A mid January game in Green Bay, for example, could be too cold. But hopefully they can schedule around it or play at an indoor stadium somewhere if they had too. I like your idea, just delay and play it safe. I assume players would be ok with that. ?

I have (gulp) Danny Dimes. 
:doh:  

lort amighty I hope that game is played on TuNF. 🙏🏼
We’re probably going to see a lot of fantasy teams swapping backup QBs in trades with the shuffling of byes that will be happening. I’d try to trade for Fitzpatrick this week if you need a one week fill in. Great matchup and shouldn’t cost too much (may be able to swap for Jones). 

A Monday or Tuesday start didn't come off with the Steelers-Titans ... so my working assumption is that Patriots-Chiefs is scratched as well. All Chiefs are out of my lineups as of now. Will re-assess tomorrow within 30 minutes of the early games, but I doubt there's any certainty 23 hours from now re: a Monday or Tueday Pats-Chiefs game. Who's to say a Tuesday-night game doesn't get yanked last-minute?

Users who are viewing this thread