What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (7 Viewers)

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Saints are facing "the biggest discipline yet" after the NFL discovered more COVID protocol violations.

Alvin Kamara and nearly the entirety of New Orleans' running backs room missed the team's Week 17 game after either testing positive or being deemed a close contact following an interaction in the facility with a person not employed by the club — a violation that has reportedly been captured on film and obtained by the league's offices. The organization was already fined $250,000, not to mention coach Sean Payton being fined an additional $100,000, for failing to properly wear face coverings in Week 2, and again fined $500,000 and stripped of a seventh-round pick for a maskless celebration following its Week 9 win. Discipline could be reduced but will likely result in the loss of multiple draft picks and an even larger fine once all is said and done.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Feb 6, 2021, 7:18 PM ET

I’m incredibly impressed they pulled it off TBH. 

it wasn’t perfect. The game rescheduling & near weekly “will they/won’t they” questions about players & games; the Wednesday night football (or Wednesday afternoon?) was kind of a cluster, but credit where due. I was a “10% chance” guy at the beginning of this topic, so yeah - it’s kind of amazing they managed to get a season played.

and really it seems like the only big outbreaks were because of irresponsible people breaking protocol. If all protocols had been followed 100% there would likely have been far less disruption. 

Last edited by a moderator:
FMIA: Drew Brees Leaves A Legend. Plus What To Expect In Free Agency

Five Quick Things

I’m hearing:

1. Mandatory vaccinations? The league and union are discussing whether to try to mandate COVID-19 vaccinations for players before the season begins, but I’m dubious that players would agree to such a forced ordinance in order to be eligible to play in 2021. Talking to some in the know in recent days, a protocol of mandatory vaccinations is not likely. The big reason is it’s naïve to think the full body of players will be open to being vaccinated, and it’s a fight the league probably won’t want to pick with players. If the average team has 53 active players, 12 practice-squad players and 10 on injured-reserve (no idea how many will be on practice squads this year; 12 is a guess), that’s 2,400 players. Calling around in recent days, I found three GMs who think the league would find major problems in regards to the players taking the COVID-19 vaccine. One GM told me last year the league sent out a memo asking teams to urge players to get the flu shot, and asking teams to make the flu shot available at their facility. This GM asked me to guess how many players on his team then voluntarily got the flu shot. Don’t know, I said. He said, “Ten.” I suppose it depends partially on the level of trust players have in their training and medical staffs as to whether they’d take the COVID vaccine. But my expectation is that a divided country on the topic would be mirrored in a divided league.

2. Time is on league’s side. Why not make the vaccine a mandatory part of the 2021 work rules? Imagine Superstar X saying he’s not taking a vaccine, or imagine a position group for Team Y refusing to be vaccinated. Then what? Is it worth making one of the best players in football miss the year? And what happens if some players on a team take the vaccine and some don’t—what will those protocols be? All TBD. “Time is on our side,” one league voice said. He’s right. This is not a call that has to be made now. And maybe two months from now we’ll be in a different place in our country, and there will be more trust as the nation gets closer to normal. We’ll see.

3. 2021 COVID protocols. If there is no universal player vaccine, expect another season of some form of COVID protocols. The league confirmed to teams Friday that they would be able to gather for the April 29-May 1 draft at either a team facility or other large meeting room, with COVID protocols to be determined, and each team being required to submit draft-room protocol plans by March 26 to NFL chief medical officer Dr. Allen Sills. As for training camp and the season, it’s likely the league and union will wait to see the level of COVID in the country, and the percentage of players who have been vaccinated, before deciding on precise protocols.

4. NFL meetings. The league meetings will be virtual for the second straight year, held March 30 and 31 via videoconference from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. each day. Not very lengthy, you say? “The owners have Zoom fatigue,” one league source told me. Don’t we all?

10 Things I Think I Think

4. I think the vaccination efforts of many teams around the NFL deserve credit, and great for them. The Cardinals, in particular, have been terrific. Today, the 500,000th vaccination at the Cards’ State Farm Stadium is scheduled to be put into a citizen’s arm—which, as team PR czar Mark Dalton points out, is more than 50 countries have administered.

The Saints will forfeit their sixth-round selection in the 2022 Draft for violations of the NFL's COVID protocols during the 2020 season.

They'll also be be fined $700,000. It's slightly better than having to give up a pick this year, as it gives the Saints time to get back a sixth-rounder, either through trade or compensation. The Saints currently have eight selections in April's draft.

RELATED: 

New Orleans Saints

SOURCE: The Athletic

Mar 20, 2021, 11:17 AM ET

The NFL will hold an in-person draft April 29 to May 1 with limited attendance and protocols for limiting the spread of COVID-19. 

The leagues announced Monday that "a select number of prospects, fans and media crews will be on-site" for the draft, and that fans attending draft activities "will be required to wear face coverings and adhere to appropriate physical distancing." Some draft prospects will participate virtually, and all fans seated near the main stage -- where commissioner Roger Goodell will announce the picks -- will be fully vaccinated. Last year, with most of the country going into lockdown, the NFL held a virtual draft featuring Bill Belichick's dog, among other memorable characters. The proceedings will be slightly more normal in 2021 with COVID cases ebbing and vaccination rates on the rise. 

SOURCE: NFL.com 

Mar 22, 2021, 9:42 AM ET

Bills general manager Brandon Beane said players' COVID-19 vaccination status could factor into 2021 roster decisions. 

It's certainly not something the NFL wants team officials to say about the politically contentious issue of vaccinating oneself against a virus that has killed 581,000 people in the US. But NBC Sports' Peter King reports the league is primed to set an threshold -- an 85 percent vaccination rate among players -- for teams to conduct traditional meetings and practices in 2021. Beane said since “it would be an advantage” to hold pre-COVID meetings and practices, he might make a roster decision based on who is and who is not vaccinated. We could see many borderline players get the boot this summer and fall as teams do whatever they can to avoid the logistical nightmare of 2020 practices. 

SOURCE: FMIA 

May 10, 2021, 9:55 AM ET

Seems like a reasonable business decision. If they miss time with covid the team still has to pay them as well. 

Im curious if a contract could be voided for conduct detrimental to the team. I know Taylor decker (lions lt) said he wouldn’t get vaccinated. Maybe he thinks he’s ok since most of the time he’s blocking air rather than a lineman.

I want to also post Peter King's opinion of the practice in Faust's link since I think it's pretty spot-on:

First: Though I know it’s happening, I cannot fathom a player in a team sport not getting vaccinated. Second: If a player chooses to not be vaccinated because of some right he feels he has to not be vaccinated, a team should have the right to cut that player if the team’s business is being made more difficult because of the presence of that player. Third: I guarantee players who are not vaccinated will be cut in part because they refuse to be vaccinated, and teams will try to hide it because it’s not politically correct.

Third: I guarantee players who are not vaccinated will be cut in part because they refuse to be vaccinated, and teams will try to hide it because it’s not politically correct.
It's a no-brainer that if marginal player A and marginal player B are competing for the same roster spot and haven't separated from each other by performance, if one is vaccinated and the other isn't, the nonvaccinated guy is getting the axe. The nonvaccinated guy presents obstacles for the team that the vaccinated guy doesn't, and marginal players aren't worth dealing with those obstacles. 

I want to also post Peter King's opinion of the practice in Faust's link since I think it's pretty spot-on:
First: Though I know it’s happening, I cannot fathom a player in a team sport not getting vaccinated. Second: If a player chooses to not be vaccinated because of some right he feels he has to not be vaccinated, a team should have the right to cut that player if the team’s business is being made more difficult because of the presence of that player. Third: I guarantee players who are not vaccinated will be cut in part because they refuse to be vaccinated, and teams will try to hide it because it’s not politically correct.

-King's opinion and nothing more. God didn't speak and that statement only sounds good to a certain mindset of people. It doesn't make one ridiculous viewpoint any more right than the next one. Peter's entitled to his opinion, he frames it disingenuously by saying "I can't phathom" and King has been writing since Moby **** was a Minnow so believe me, he can fathom many things and I find it hard to believe he has no idea what some folks are feeling right now.  

-Third part is scary but I understand $$$ and that's all the owners truly care about, it has nothing to do with being SJW owners or looking out for society, it's a simple accounting exercise for most of them. 

Yo thought a lot of that section for a variety of reasons I'm sure, we don't have to dive deep but I was put off by that part of his column but chose when i read it not to post in here about it. You brought it up though 😆 

-King's opinion and nothing more. God didn't speak and that statement only sounds good to a certain mindset of people. It doesn't make one ridiculous political party more right than any other turkey party of politics in this country. Peter's entitles to his opinion, he frames it disingenuously by saying "I can't phathom" and King has been writing since Moby **** was a Minnow so believe me, he can fathom many things and I find it hard to believe he has no idea what some folks are feeling right now.  

-Third part is scary but I understand $$$ and that's all the owners truly care about, it has nothing to do with being SJW owners or looking out for society, it's a simple accounting exercise for most of them. 

Yo thought a lot of that section for a variety of reasons I'm sure, we don't have to dive deep but I was put off by that part of his column but chose when i read it not to post in here about it. You brought it up though 😆 
I am not sure what politics has to do with it.  Although not as many there are liberals that are choosing not to get vaccinated as well as conservatives for a variety of reasons.

As you said it is an opinion piece, accept it or reject it, no big deal.

I am not sure what politics has to do with it.  Although not as many there are liberals that are choosing not to get vaccinated as well as conservatives for a variety of reasons.

As you said it is an opinion piece, accept it or reject it, no big deal.
"I can't fathom" 

-He writes in that manner to take the onus of his own personal feelings, it's simple. Like you said, you can accept it or reject it. I enjoyed the other 99% of his column and will continue to tune in some weeks but I also am forthcoming that Peter King is not the guy you turn to for Xs and Os type coverage, we can agree on that I'm sure. 

All good GB, I understand. 

BTW: I did snip the sentence out about politics even though that is exactly why it was spotlighted out of that article but I can bend a little  :suds:

I didn't spotlight it because it's "politics", I spotlighted it because I feel it's going to be a popular topic come this summer. I'll take it a step further than @Pip's Invitation: I think if it comes down to a marginal vaccinated player and a ok un-vaccinated player, teams may just cut the ok unvacc'd player if they have a ok vacc'd replacement and there are enough other intangibles (salary, playing special teams, etc.). That's how important these meetings are and I feel it's going to be a big NFL issue because some player is going to get pissy about it when they get cut..

-King's opinion and nothing more. God didn't speak and that statement only sounds good to a certain mindset of people. It doesn't make one ridiculous viewpoint any more right than the next one. Peter's entitled to his opinion, he frames it disingenuously by saying "I can't phathom" and King has been writing since Moby **** was a Minnow so believe me, he can fathom many things and I find it hard to believe he has no idea what some folks are feeling right now.  
This is a weird take - it's pretty clear that it is his own personal opinion and speculation on his part. What's disingenuous about his statement? Nothing. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Bears coach Matt Nagy was declared a high-risk close contact of a family member who tested positive for COVID-19.

He'll thus keep away from the team's rookie minicamp, opting to coach and participate virtually in on-field activities instead. Nagy is reportedly in the process of being vaccinated but has yet to do so.

May 13, 2021, 10:31 AM ET

The Washington Post's Mark Maske reports vaccination rates for NFL coaches and staffers "is believed to be high."

Vaccination rates, Maske said, could be near 100 percent, though there are no official numbers on how many coaches and staffers have gotten a COVID-19 vaccine. The league gave teams incentive to get the jab when it announced teams could resume pre-COVID meetings and practices if they reach certain vaccination thresholds. Some players -- including Buffalo's Josh Allen, Cole Beasley, and Gabriel Davis -- continue to question the vaccine and have hinted they won't take it. For NFL teams with vaccinated players and coaches, training camp will be a far more normal experience as they prepare for the regular season. NFL officials have said the league will not mandate the vaccine. 

RELATED: 

Buffalo Bills

SOURCE: Mark Maske on Twitter 

May 21, 2021, 11:33 AM ET

The Washington Post's Mark Maske reports vaccination rates for NFL coaches and staffers "is believed to be high."

Vaccination rates, Maske said, could be near 100 percent, though there are no official numbers on how many coaches and staffers have gotten a COVID-19 vaccine. The league gave teams incentive to get the jab when it announced teams could resume pre-COVID meetings and practices if they reach certain vaccination thresholds. Some players -- including Buffalo's Josh Allen, Cole Beasley, and Gabriel Davis -- continue to question the vaccine and have hinted they won't take it. For NFL teams with vaccinated players and coaches, training camp will be a far more normal experience as they prepare for the regular season. NFL officials have said the league will not mandate the vaccine. 

RELATED: 

Buffalo Bills

SOURCE: Mark Maske on Twitter 

May 21, 2021, 11:33 AM ET
:(

FMIA: NFL Power Rankings Feature Rising Browns, 49ers, Bolts; Middling Pats, Steelers; Falling Vikes, Broncos

Excerpt:

I think I noted with interest, and sadness, the frustration of Cubs GM Jed Hoyer the other day about vaccines—and what it portends for football. In baseball, teams that have 85 percent of players get the vaccine are allowed to mostly go back to 2019 protocols—eating out on the road, being close to mates in locker rooms, not wearing masks in common areas. In short, teams that get to 85 percent vaccine rates get to return to normal. Said Hoyer: “Being transparent about it, we’re not a player away from being at 85 percent. It’s a disappointing thing that we’ll have anxieties and restrictions that others don’t. This is one that can be avoided, and we’re not able to avoid it in some ways.”

I bring this up because recently I heard the NFL is talking about (nothing’s definite) opening up in a similar fashion teams that are able to get to 85-percent player vaccine rate. Who would want to be at 2020 protocols? Is getting tested regularly and continuing to live as monks on the road and off the field in training camp (assuming there are camps this year) and during the season worth the stand players will take, or the lack of trust they have in the institutions telling them to take the vaccine? Do people so distrust science that, in the microscopic chance that one day down the road this vaccine will cause grave health issues (which every reputable person studying vaccines say is exceedingly unlikely), they will pass on taking a shot?

2. I think I can envision GMs and owners and coaches in the NFL this fall saying just what Hoyer says here: “It’s a part of the job I never quite imagined, being involved in that kind of education, that kind of convincing.”

3. I think it’s madness. It really is. And it’s coming to the NFL.

4. I think this would give you an idea of what could be coming this summer/early fall: Spoke to one team official the other day. His team has full vaccination by coaching staff and support staff (trainers, equipment, etc.), and less than 40 percent vax rate for players. He is dubious that his team will get to 85 percent for players. He said the hope he has is that once non-vaccinated players see the disadvantages of not getting the shot, they’ll grudgingly reconsider and get the vaccine. The disadvantages: daily COVID testing (for most teams, that entails a pre-8 a.m. swab at team facilities, including off days and bye weeks), mask-wearing constantly while in the team facility while teammates don’t have to wear masks, being confined to rooms on the road while vaxxed players can leave the hotel. We’ll see what kind of impact those things have on vaccination rates.

Goddamit he beat me to it. I was JUST getting this ready and I noticed Faust in the thread and was like "He's not posting what I'm posting, right? Nahhh..."

Actually I was going to include King's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th point also. I get it's just his opinion, but it goes to the heart of the piece.

Washington head coach Ron Rivera said about half the team is vaccinated against COVID-19. 

That's a long way from the 85 percent threshold NFL teams must meet before they may be allowed to conduct regular, pre-COVID meetings and practices in 2021. The Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala reports Rivera brought in a "vaccine expert" to talk to the team about the COVID-19 vaccine. “There’s a lot of messaging out there that they get off Twitter, and some of it’s good and some of it’s bad," Rivera said. “If we could get herd immunity, we could really cut it loose.” Teams that reach the 85 percent vaccination mark and can return to normal practices will have a clear edge on teams that don't this season. DE Montez Sweat told reporters he won't consider being vaccinated against COVID-19 “until i get more facts. I’m not a fan of it. I haven’t caught COVID yet so I don’t see me treating COVID until I actually get COVID." It will be an uphill battle for NFL coaches trying to get their very-online players to get the vaccine this summer.

Nicki Jhabvala, Twitter
Note it's 50% of the team but it doesn't mention staff/players. It could be like a ton of coaches vaccinated but only 30% of the players.

Lions coach Dan Campbell said the team's entire coaching staff is vaccinated.

There are a few assistants still wearing masks at OTAs until their 14-day window post-shot is over, but none will be limited in their interaction with players heading into training camp. All will also be allowed full access to the team's facilities. It will undoubtedly make camp easier as Detroit commences its full-on rebuild.

- Kyle Meinke, Twitter
Nice. This is the trend I expect; coaching staffs will be fully vaccinated since it contains a much older (and more immuno-compromised demographic).

This is about money, first and foremost. Everything the NFL does and the league office does is drive by money. Do we need to argue this point?

If the NFL has 100 percent vaccinations in all players, coaches, team staff, front offices, media personnel, security, stadium employees, etc, etc, then they can try to sell "confidence" to many fans that it's safe to go back to live football games.

Consider even if it hit 100 percent, lots of fans aren't coming back. Even those vaccinated, some will just not trust anything or anyone. All professional sports took a massive blow in revenue from the pandemic. This doesn't even include the staggering number of fans lost for things not related to the pandemic.

You have a choice, but really you don't. That's the message. By law, the NFL cannot take the choice away from players. However if you don't make the choice they like, they will make you wish you did.

I used to love old Peter King, years and years ago, when he would risk provoking the establishment in the NFL for the sake of journalism. Now he's a mouth piece for the league office.  I get why but it's disappointing.

If the league office cared about the player's health, they would have done more than bury the CTE findings they had for a long time. They also would have done more for retired NFL players who were clearly suffering badly, and some even destitute. They will care when it makes them money to care or costs them so much money otherwise where they don't have a choice.

Im curious if a contract could be voided for conduct detrimental to the team....

This is actually a pretty interesting question. The safe "lawyer answer" is it depends on the specific contract. But this isn't just going to be an issue in a court of law, this will also be battled in the "Court Of Public Opinion"

If I put on my media optics/crisis management hat, the problem is simple math. Given any vaccine of any kind, and particularly one rolling out at this speed, volume and reach, some people will die from it. This is a statistical reality. How many? That's going to be hard to say. Since the only way to effectively record a death given a COVID19 vaccine is if the person died right there on the table just after you gave them the vaccine. The other issue is that a large section of the general public will believe any COVID19 related numbers are going to be cooked, and honestly, no one can blame them. You can't have this much information pouring out, with so many different agendas at work, to avoid having masses of people with trepidation.

If NFL players won't take the vaccine, the immediate narrative their agent and representation will give them is to point out that no one knows the long term impact of taking the vaccine and there are going to be isolated example cases of people dying, not just the elderly where it's hard to rule out the vaccine.

i.e.

https://kutv.com/news/local/utah-woman-39-dies-4-days-after-2nd-does-of-covid-19-vaccine-autopsy-ordered

https://www.newsweek.com/covid-vaccine-deaths-cause-pfizer-moderna-fact-check-966-died-1574447

The NFL league office doesn't want that public narrative. NFL players talking about people dying, even in rare cases, of the vaccine. That only freaks out more fans from never returning to football games. Which is money, and as we all understand, the league office is all about money, all the time.

So what will happen?

If you are related to the NFL, it's sponsors, or have some relationship with the league, you'll be pressured to silence anyone saying anything other than take the vaccine. YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and Reddit comments and posts will magically disappear overnight. Sports pundits will be pressured to toe a specific "company line"  The league office will pressure the apparel brands to pressure their endorsed players to take a specific position for compulsory vaccination. People will lose their jobs, be silenced, be banned, be deleted, be deplatformed and be doxxed if they oppose the "Most Money For The NFL" storyline. If I worked for the NFL and ran their media, it's what I would do. ( Point to note, if I did it, it would be subtle, the league office now has some pretty mediocre media people, I can see it being rolled out and being very sloppy)

From a legal standpoint, no rational NFL franchise would make that move in public and in the open. Trying to find a way to void a contract for conduct for not wanting to take the vaccine. Peter King is basically telling all NFL players the "or else" in his last article. You all have rights! Except if we don't like your choice!

From a moral standpoint, well I don't think there is one honestly. The NFL and it's owners and league office and brands and sponsors and the networks don't care about the players' health. They just don't. It's laced in every action we've seen related around  the NFL our entire lives. Money first, money always.

The Frankman said:
Nice. This is the trend I expect; coaching staffs will be fully vaccinated since it contains a much older (and more immuno-compromised demographic).

The NFLCA and the AFCA are both coaches organizations that are effectively toothless and have zero real bargaining power.

Bob LaMonte of PSR tried very very hard for a long time to get together a functional union for the coaches but he was effectively shut down. I'm surprised the NFL owners didn't send Amy Trask to go to his house with a couple of hitters and see if a man can survive being thrown off of a bridge. Well, no, you see, he drove himself to the bridge, duct taped himself to bind his arms and legs together, gagged himself, then punched himself with a tire iron 35 times and then jumped off a bridge, your Honor.

Make no mistake, it's all money, all the time, and there are people who will do anything to make more money hand over fist.

Years and years ago, Bobb McKittrick and I discussed in depth the issue of the challenges of being an NFL coach and to have essentially "no tether" from any formal collective bargaining.

NFL coaches, barring the rare exception like an Angry Bill Belichick, can fall in line, or they can fall period.

I got word a few days ago that, at this point, at minimum, NFL related Reddit has enacted a full silent and quick purge of anyone showing trepidation to the vaccine.

How would it apply to us here? Honestly, I hope Sigmund Bloom and the rest, where some have livelihoods here at stake related to football/NFL/fantasy/daily Fanduel,etc, here simply walk away from the topic. You say the wrong thing, in the wrong way or just something in the wrong context and the NFL league office will seek to crush you. Lots of NFL players to talk about, people can wait to talk about Josh Allen later.

NFL player really are the last true gladiators of our society. To the NFL corporate machine, they are just meat to the grinder. I have zero doubt in my mind if the NFL owners were told they could get 10 million a franchise for burning their practice squad players alive, it would be Shireen Baratheon Deluxe times thirty two.

... how did any of what you said apply to the NFL:again?

NFL coaches have no bargaining power and close to no protection. This is evident when there is a labor dispute and many coaches and their families are left out to the wind. Lower level coaches don't get paid if they don't work and they don't work in a labor dispute. Many are fighting for their jobs year to year and many have to rely on others ( established coaches, family, others in the industry) to just get by. The Jim Tomsula story ( he lived in his car) is not uncommon for lower level coaches. Many can only get by with food by eating at the team facilities. Many were also likely impacted by the pandemic ( Loss of work and/or the risk of loss of work of others in their household and then what to do with their kids with schools closed)

Guys like Norv Turner or Wade Phillips or the like, those who are established, they aren't going to starve, but the majority are constantly under the gun.

In that situation, the law says you don't have to take the vaccine. But if you are not completely indispensable ( how many coaches can say that besides Belichick and a few others?), you toe that line or lose your job.

The NFL power structure and employment system is not like the rest of America - it's a modified feudal system.

Your statement has much truth in it, many coaches are older and in higher risk groups and are statistically "safer" in theory by taking the vaccine. But it loses all the context.

The NFL is all about money and it's the main theme all the time. The best way to get back to the old profit model is if 100 percent of all players, coaches, trainers, media, support staff, stadium employees, contractors, etc, etc are vaccinated. Even if some die, even if some don't have the vaccine work, even if some have horrible side effects, even if some are resistant to the vaccine, it's not about safety of the players or the people, it's just so 100 percent can be a marketing narrative for the league.

And opening up the NFL fully is not just on the owners, it's an issue for the respective city and state as well. 100 percent coverage is a safe decision for a Mayor or a Governor to move past all profit killing restrictions. Even if people die, they can say 100 percent got the shot, so you can't blame us.

How does any of this NOT apply to the NFL?

NFL coaches have no bargaining power and close to no protection. This is evident when there is a labor dispute and many coaches and their families are left out to the wind. Lower level coaches don't get paid if they don't work and they don't work in a labor dispute. Many are fighting for their jobs year to year and many have to rely on others ( established coaches, family, others in the industry) to just get by. The Jim Tomsula story ( he lived in his car) is not uncommon for lower level coaches. Many can only get by with food by eating at the team facilities. Many were also likely impacted by the pandemic ( Loss of work and/or the risk of loss of work of others in their household and then what to do with their kids with schools closed)

Guys like Norv Turner or Wade Phillips or the like, those who are established, they aren't going to starve, but the majority are constantly under the gun.

In that situation, the law says you don't have to take the vaccine. But if you are not completely indispensable ( how many coaches can say that besides Belichick and a few others?), you toe that line or lose your job.

The NFL power structure and employment system is not like the rest of America - it's a modified feudal system.

Your statement has much truth in it, many coaches are older and in higher risk groups and are statistically "safer" in theory by taking the vaccine. But it loses all the context.

The NFL is all about money and it's the main theme all the time. The best way to get back to the old profit model is if 100 percent of all players, coaches, trainers, media, support staff, stadium employees, contractors, etc, etc are vaccinated. Even if some die, even if some don't have the vaccine work, even if some have horrible side effects, even if some are resistant to the vaccine, it's not about safety of the players or the people, it's just so 100 percent can be a marketing narrative for the league.

And opening up the NFL fully is not just on the owners, it's an issue for the respective city and state as well. 100 percent coverage is a safe decision for a Mayor or a Governor to move past all profit killing restrictions. Even if people die, they can say 100 percent got the shot, so you can't blame us.

How does any of this NOT apply to the NFL?
Please take this to the political forum or someplace else where people think science is a political choice.

Jaguars DE K'Lavon Chaisson tested positive for COVID-19.

He'll likely miss the team's three-day minicamp, his first since being drafted during the heart of the pandemic as Jacksonville's No. 20 overall pick last year. This news comes after the 21-year-old traveled to and from Las Vegas where he participated in Von Miller’s pass rush summit. Chaisson will be re-tested once more prior to the Jaguars' final session of minicamp.

- Jaguars Twitter
That was fast. Hopefully it's a false positive.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports more than half of NFL players have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine shot. 

Coaches in recent weeks, including Washington head coach Ron Rivera, have brought in medical experts to talk to players about getting vaccinated against COVID-19. Many players have come out against vaccinations, insisting they need to do more "research" before joining the 145 million Americans who have been vaccinated against the disease. Teams that reach high levels of vaccination -- thought to be around 85 percent -- could be able to conduct pre-COVID meetings and practices this season. Unvaccinated players will have to be tested for the virus throughout the season and will not be allowed to travel during bye weeks. Bills head coach Sean McDermott said Tuesday that he "feels better" about his team's COVID-19 vaccine "situation" after a host of Bills players were noncommittal about getting vaccinated, including QB Josh Allen. We could see players come around on the potentially life-saving vaccine in the final weeks of the offseason. 

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Jun 15, 2021, 11:34 AM ET

Would love to obtain an unofficial list of players who have been vaccinated. Would be used to break any close calls between players and not just whether or not that specific player had been vaccinated or not, but his supporting staff, such as the QB.

OldMilwaukee said:
Cole Beasley not going to be following NFL protocols.

Cole Beasley tweet
Smh. And sure seems like Allen didn’t get vaccinated either. The Bills are going to be at a disadvantage all year. If they have key guys miss games at some point because of Covid, they would prove themselves to be a really dumb team.

Users who are viewing this thread