What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump/White House Covid positive thread (1 Viewer)

So am I wrong to feel concerned that the it's-just-a-flu contingent of regular joes who test positive, have symptoms, or have been exposed to confirmed positives basically will ignore it to follow in Trump's footsteps? Because it seems to me that the WH entourage basically took a big #2 and wiped their bare bottoms with regard to CDC guidelines on pretty much everything.
Well they can only follow in his footsteps if they get the worlds best care, access to exclusive experimental drugs and private suites at world-class hospitals with a team of Doc’s at their beck and call. But yeah if they could do that they could follow in his footsteps.  

They would not be considered in "normal" health.  Maybe I should have said "healthy".  
Maybe.  What does "'normal' health" mean?  What does "healthy" mean in this context?

The problem is that most "normal" (as in not outliers on a statistical curve) people have or had some kind of health condition.  If having a health condition is reason to worry, then they have reason to be concerned at some level.  So your statement that "normal people, not so much" is just flawed for this reason unless "normal" means something else.  

I'm going to ask what is probably a dumb question but I'm dumb so I'll ask it anyway.  How much does a person's activity impact recovery with COVID (or other similar viruses)?  One thing I've felt you cannot take away from Trump is he's a workhorse when it comes to putting in hours - granted I'm sure folks will argue about what he's doing during those hours but that's not really my point.  How advisable is it for him (or anyone else in a similar situation) to return to normal duties?  Is he at greater risk for things going south if he doesn't rest?  I think the answer is almost definitely "of course" but how impactful is it, really?

tonydead said:
I need to show you my new saw table that I built.
Please do!  

It’s funny you mention that, not sure if you saw the pictures of the one I built in a woodworking thread, But two weeks ago when I was in my garage I had some people who I don’t know who live down the street stop and talk to me about how jealous they were of the saw/workbench and I built. Lol.  That was nice.  

dkp993 said:
Well they can only follow in his footsteps if they get the worlds best care, access to exclusive experimental drugs and private suites at world-class hospitals with a team of Doc’s at their beck and call. But yeah if they could do that they could follow in his footsteps.  
Don't forget helicopter rides and parades!

dkp993 said:
Or they could be 22 years old, refuse to wear masks, and only have minor symptoms.

I'm going to ask what is probably a dumb question but I'm dumb so I'll ask it anyway.  How much does a person's activity impact recovery with COVID (or other similar viruses)?  One thing I've felt you cannot take away from Trump is he's a workhorse when it comes to putting in hours - granted I'm sure folks will argue about what he's doing during those hours but that's not really my point.  How advisable is it for him (or anyone else in a similar situation) to return to normal duties?  Is he at greater risk for things going south if he doesn't rest?  I think the answer is almost definitely "of course" but how impactful is it, really?
We talking about the guy that has executive time till 11:00AM right? 

How is that not the point?  What makes you think he's any more of a "workhorse" than the average US citizen?  
I thought it was obvious from my post - I’m asking a simple question here but since it seems like people are going to take issue with my wording let me ask it a different way.

How risky is resuming normal activities for people recovering from COVID?

ETA - maybe you meant because he isn’t a ditch digger vs. sitting behind a desk??

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I shouldn’t have asked my dumb question  :bag:

I’m just trying to figure out how risky it is returning to normal duties - is it based on how physically exerting It is?  Will he most likely recover the same whether he works vs. stays at hospital?  I’m assuming it’s low risk in the mind of the doctors or they wouldn’t let him (if we work under the assumption they are calling the shots).

I thought it was obvious from my post - I’m asking a simple question here but since it seems like people are going to take issue with my wording let me ask it a different way.
Yeah, I read it too quickly.  I get that it wasn't the point of your overall post.  Just meant it's pretty relevant to characterizing him as a workhorse, which is what jumped out at me since I've never gotten that impression of him before.  

Bottomfeeder Sports said:
Maybe.  What does "'normal' health" mean?  What does "healthy" mean in this context?

The problem is that most "normal" (as in not outliers on a statistical curve) people have or had some kind of health condition.  If having a health condition is reason to worry, then they have reason to be concerned at some level.  So your statement that "normal people, not so much" is just flawed for this reason unless "normal" means something else.  
There are plenty of articles on that stuff.  Here is an online calculator for you which will answer some of you questions.

My survey said I have an 11% chance of getting the virus and 190:1 odds of dying IF I catch it.  In other words 99.95% chance of surviving this thing.

Odds you die in a car crash is 103:1

Odds you die from cancer 7:1

No I'm not going to live in fear of this virus.  Normal people shouldn't.

Please do!  

It’s funny you mention that, not sure if you saw the pictures of the one I built in a woodworking thread, But two weeks ago when I was in my garage I had some people who I don’t know who live down the street stop and talk to me about how jealous they were of the saw/workbench and I built. Lol.  That was nice.  
It's on!  Send me a link in case I can't find it.

Yeah, I read it too quickly.  I get that it wasn't the point of your overall post.  Just meant it's pretty relevant to characterizing him as a workhorse, which is what jumped out at me since I've never gotten that impression of him before.  
Everything I’ve heard is he puts in a lot of hours - we could debate forever about what he’s doing during those hours and how bad/good it is - I wasn’t wanting to go there.  Just curious how risky this move is if he’s not mostly recovered yet.

There are plenty of articles on that stuff.  Here is an online calculator for you which will answer some of you questions.

My survey said I have an 11% chance of getting the virus and 190:1 odds of dying IF I catch it.  In other words 99.95% chance of surviving this thing.

So tired of this narrative.  Wanting people to take proper measures <> "fearing" the virus.  

Wouldn't car crash and cancer odds be over a life span, and not just right now, 1-2 year span?

NEWS: Trump wants to make a dramatic exit from Walter Reed. He plans to walk out the golden front doors on camera, sources tell @SalehaMohsin and me. He's shooting a video inside the hospital first, and then will walk to car and then to Marine One. No plan to speak to press.

---

#smh

He's all hat and no cattle.

So tired of this narrative.  Wanting people to take proper measures <> "fearing" the virus.  
People were upset for Trump saying "Don't live in fear".  He wasn't equating the two that I could tell in that tweet.

Wouldn't car crash and cancer odds be over a life span, and not just right now, 1-2 year span?
Sure, and even if everyone gets vaccinated in a couple years time, the covid thread would still be for a lifetime.

People were upset for Trump saying "Don't live in fear".  He wasn't equating the two that I could tell in that tweet.
There is also a middle ground.   You can not "live in fear" while at the same time take precautions and acknowledge the seriousness of the virus and situation.   I think people are upset that Trump doesn't do that second part, not that he would tweet that first part (just taking that quote in a vacuum).  

It's just a really silly thing to say that makes 0 sense in the context of the world and precautions we take every day.  

Just curious. While you may have a 99.95% chance of survival, do you feel any responsibility to prevent spreading it to someone else who might have a 60% chance of dying from it? If you did catch it, you might only get the sniffles . . . but if you were out and about, you could still pass it on to someone else who isn't in the 99.95% category. Would that enter your mind at all or would that not matter to you?

That other person also has a responsibility to limit being out to avoid catching it, but I don't think it is 100% on them to have to stay confined all the time.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
In a sign of just how seriously they take this, WH decides not to contract race the Barrett super spreader event.  Maybe, just maybe, they should take the easy stuff seriously so a whole bunch of other people don't get infected, instead staging more "dramatic" photo ops.  

Sure, and even if everyone gets vaccinated in a couple years time, the covid thread would still be for a lifetime.
Huh.  By those definitions the Spanish Flu was nothing.  If we extrapolate it over the 100 years since the last case, diving into shallow pools ends up being more dangerous.

Just curious. While you may have a 99.95% chance of survival, do you feel any responsibility to prevent spreading it to someone else who might have a 60% chance of dying from it? If you did catch it, you might only get the sniffles . . . but if you were out and about, you could still pass it on to someone else who isn't in the 99.95% category. Would that enter your mind at all or would that not matter to you?

That other person also has a responsibility to limit being out to avoid catching it, but I don't think it is 100% on them to have to stay confined all the time.
Sure.  I'm reconsidering flying to see my 90+ mother next month.  If we go we will be super careful.  

Sure.  I'm reconsidering flying to see my 90+ mother next month.  If we go we will be super careful.  
In one of the other COVID threads, I mentioned that we have an elderly family member who checks off pretty much every box in terms of the at-risk categories. He's been a risk taker his whole life (he runs a skydiving business and has been married 5 times). He still wants to go out all the time to bars / clubs / events and his kids take him with them when they go out. Yet they are the ones screaming bloody murder that younger people in those places never where masks. So sure, people should be wearing masks . . . but they shouldn't be dragging him out with them either.

In one of the other COVID threads, I mentioned that we have an elderly family member who checks off pretty much every box in terms of the at-risk categories. He's been a risk taker his whole life (he runs a skydiving business and has been married 5 times). 
Not to be insensitive or changing the topic, but this probably deserves it's own thread in the FFA. 

I’m afraid of this virus. If that makes me look like a wimp to some of you Internet tough guys, so be it. 
I’m afraid because I have asthma and my doctor told me that makes it more serious. 
I’m afraid because my wife has a slight heart condition and her doctor told her that makes it more serious. 
I’m afraid because I have loved ones in their 80s. I like spending time with them. I don’t want them to be at risk. 
I’m afraid because my best friend, who was recovering from cancer, died of this thing. 
I’m afraid because we don’t know very much about this thing. 
I’m not terrified. But I am reasonably afraid and I think people should be afraid. If everybody was reasonably concerned that would be a much better situation. 

I'm not watching but I understand that, after leaving the helicopter he:

1) Took off his mask and left it off when he went into the WH; and

2) Shook someone's hand.

Good Lord. 

sho nuff said:
Umm any POTUS contracting this would be called a dangerous moment.  It is.  Those headlines appear accurate (though hyperbolic on the most dangerous ever)
yes because its 0.04 % fatal 

I'd think JFK being killed or Lincoln would have been more chaotic  

I'm not watching but I understand that, after leaving the helicopter he:

1) Took off his mask and left it off when he went into the WH; and

2) Shook someone's hand.

Good Lord. 
I only caught the very end while loading up the Chiefs game, but the super telephoto grainy shot of him standing and waving at the WH door definitely looked like he wasn't wearing a mask.

Ridiculous.

did ya'll go this banana's when Pelosi got her hair done without mask ? when SNL did their skit the other night without masks ?

end of football games without masks ?

maybe ya'll want to give 50 years in prison for not wearing a mask ? you know, REALLY teach people a lesson ? :(

I’m afraid of this virus. If that makes me look like a wimp to some of you Internet tough guys, so be it. 
I’m afraid because I have asthma and my doctor told me that makes it more serious. 
I’m afraid because my wife has a slight heart condition and her doctor told her that makes it more serious. 
I’m afraid because I have loved ones in their 80s. I like spending time with them. I don’t want them to be at risk. 
I’m afraid because my best friend, who was recovering from cancer, died of this thing. 
I’m afraid because we don’t know very much about this thing. 
I’m not terrified. But I am reasonably afraid and I think people should be afraid. If everybody was reasonably concerned that would be a much better situation. 
then you do NOT need to go out anywhere and do anything - be a recluse, work from home, isolate, get everything ordered and delivered

and you might STILL get it

but don't blame everyone else - you have the power to do what you need to do for your fears - good luck

song said:
  i'm over 60 and have medical issues already.  i take it the unstated end of that sentence is "so who cares?" and as regards myself, i have to agree.  there's no reason you should care, and i find your honesty in this instance refreshing.  also, i take you're point about people dying WITH covid, and it certainly has some validity.  don't know how much.
not at all - I care ......... but if you're that condition, you do NOT need to put yourself at risk by going to the store or church or anywhere there is people - do NOT put the burden on everyone else to protect you

you protect you - and if you're afraid of the virus then take precautions 

I went to Ft Thompsons in NLR today ... 1/3 the people in there didn't have masks on. I didn't care - but had I cared and saw it, I'd have walked out. Simple stuff

It isn't .04% fatal... where are you getting this?
Percentage Calculator: 200000 is what percent of 327000000? = 0.06

And we know 1/2 that 200,000 died WITH covid not because OF covid - probably more

take the world wide deaths attributed to covid19 and divide by 7 billion ... what's the % ? 

did ya'll go this banana's when Pelosi got her hair done without mask ? when SNL did their skit the other night without masks ?

end of football games without masks ?

maybe ya'll want to give 50 years in prison for not wearing a mask ? you know, REALLY teach people a lesson ? :(
Trump has the virus and can/is actively spreading it. Wearing a mask while sick is the most basic thing someone can do to prevent spread.

Just to be clear (and I given your track record I don't really know why I'm engaging) -- do you understand that everyone you listed doesn't have the virus? Do you get why there's a difference?

JAA said:
I'm sorry, but this is an assinine statement.  Some of those 0.04% are our friends and family.  I find  your comment to be insensitive and jerkish.

Not cool

/on ignore
some of the 500,000 a year who die of smoking are your friends and family

some of the 200,000 dying of medical mistakes are friends and family

some of the 60,000 dying from illegal drugs are friends and family

some of the 850,000 dying in the womb are your friends and family

some of the 200,000 I'm sure I've met/known/know of ...... every life is precious. This is a pandemic - every year tens of thousands die from flu and pneumonia ... their lives are valuable too but we don't kill an economy and threaten people who don't wear masks do we? we're NEVER done that - nor have we tried to test healthy people and quarantine healthy people !!

not at all - I care ......... but if you're that condition, you do NOT need to put yourself at risk by going to the store or church or anywhere there is people - do NOT put the burden on everyone else to protect you

you protect you - and if you're afraid of the virus then take precautions 

I went to Ft Thompsons in NLR today ... 1/3 the people in there didn't have masks on. I didn't care - but had I cared and saw it, I'd have walked out. Simple stuff
ok i tried.  silly me.

you're not crazy. you're behavior appears crazy. not that there's anything wrong with that

Trump has the virus and can/is actively spreading it. Wearing a mask while sick is the most basic thing someone can do to prevent spread.
I agree with that but I'm not a doctor and I don't know if Trump is contagious or not .... and neither do any of us.

This is anti-Trump hate because Russia failed, Stormy failed, Ukraine failed, his taxes are getting the left nowhere .... so lets find something else and if no one is really worried in Trump's circle about being close to him and him having had covid I certainly don't care - covid19 doesn't scare me. Now I DO agree if it were me I'd be more careful likely but then I wouldn't do a lot of what Trump does. I'd have not done a lot of what Obama did or Hillary or Biden either. 

I mean geeeesh ..... Trump appears to have what most have - mild symptoms and his body was successful in fighting it, his immunity was good ... why can't everyone be happy with that ?

did ya'll want him to die ?

Users who are viewing this thread