What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Trey Lance, DAL (3 Viewers)

heckmanm said:
:blackdot:  since I drafted him
Going to have to follow this thread myself for the same reason.  I didn't plan on it but he fell to 2.5, and I felt like I had to do it.  I'm already strong at QB but for that price I had no choice.  

Going to have to follow this thread myself for the same reason.  I didn't plan on it but he fell to 2.5, and I felt like I had to do it.  I'm already strong at QB but for that price I had no choice.  
My QB roster going in was Watson/Garoppolo/Winston/Darnold :X  so I grabbed him at the end of the first.

NBC Sports' Matt Maioco reports rookie QB Trey Lance will be given "every opportunity to rise up the team's depth chart" this summer. 

49ers offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel confirmed the team is prepping Lance to compete for the team's Week 1 starting gig. “You try not to get too far ahead of yourself,” McDaniel said. “Of course, it tempts your mind a little bit, but really you have to get back to the basics. And with a guy like Trey, you’re just teaching him the offense and coaching him on fundamentals and seeing where he can get — preparing him to compete in training camp.” After learning the framework of Kyle Shanahan's offense, Lance has taken a "large number" of the Niners' on-field practice snaps through seven sessions, Maioco reports. Lance will be taken among the first ten quarterbacks -- maybe seven, depending on format -- off the fantasy draft board if the team anoints him as the starter over Jimmy Garoppolo. His rushing upside in Shanahan's system is tantalizing. 

RELATED: 

Jimmy Garoppolo

SOURCE: NBCSports.com 

Jun 15, 2021, 12:30 PM ET

Sure sounds like everything SF says and does indicates they want Lance to take this job. 

Could we have a Cam like rookie season?

He’s the next Mahomes type. Great for fantasy. But can’t get on page with option reads. Take him three years. By that time head coach won’t be there. 

Sports Illustrated's Connor Orr said the 49ers offense will be "drastically different" when QB Trey Lance is in the game. 

It hardly qualifies as breaking news but it should be a point of emphasis for how fantasy drafters value 49ers pass catchers in 2021. "Maybe the backs will be stacked a different way. Maybe it’ll utilize a different personnel grouping," Orr said. "This is going to be incredibly difficult for a defense to defend." Orr cited Kyle Shanahan's experience coordinating Washington's offense with Robert Griffin III under center. In Griffin's rookie year, Washington had the NFL's second highest rush rate (51.71 percent), with Griffin 25th in pass attempts. Lance -- like RGIII in 2012 -- could be a highly efficient passer this season and the 49ers offense might not support more than one every-week starting pass catcher. The prospect of an early-season Lance takeover might make fantasy managers hesitate on taking George Kittle and Brandon Aiyuk at their current ADPs. 

RELATED: 

Jimmy Garoppolo

SOURCE: SI.com 

Jul 2, 2021, 10:49 AM ET

On Saturday, Trey Lance ran designed run plays for the first time in 49ers training camp.

ESPN's Nick Wagoner reported that several of Lance's rushing attempts would have gone for big gains in a game setting, and that DC DeMeco Ryans acknowledged that Lance "stressed the defense in new ways." As you would expect, Kyle Shanahan has been scheming up plays specifically designed to utilize the third overall pick. Lance, who ran for 1,100 yards in his only full college season, offers a special blend of rushing ability and passing upside. Jimmy Garoppolo, who threw two interceptions Saturday, will need to be at the top of his game to hold off Lance this season.

RELATED: 

Jimmy Garoppolo

SOURCE: Nick Wagoner on Twitter

Jul 31, 2021, 6:03 PM ET

Week 6 bye. Seems like a good target to begin starting if they don't ship Jimmy G.
This was my thought as well… And, based on reports out of camp that Rosen looks fantastic, even if JimmyG is playing well (or rather especially), conceivably trade Garapolo mid-season.

the tricky part is if JimmyG stinks it up enough to the point that he’s named the starter, how could they possibly get anything of value for JimmyG? If that comes to pass it might just be a pure salary dump to an interested party. 

Hard to know what’s gonna happen. I’d love for Lance to start all year, but I’d also love to see them get something for JimmyG. 

This was my thought as well… And, based on reports out of camp that Rosen looks fantastic, even if JimmyG is playing well (or rather especially), conceivably trade Garapolo mid-season.

the tricky part is if JimmyG stinks it up enough to the point that he’s named the starter, how could they possibly get anything of value for JimmyG? If that comes to pass it might just be a pure salary dump to an interested party. 

Hard to know what’s gonna happen. I’d love for Lance to start all year, but I’d also love to see them get something for JimmyG. 
If they want to trade him, now is the time IMO. 

The San Jose Mercury News reports the 49ers are reportedly using third overall pick Trey Lance in an array of zone reads and designed runs.

One day after coach Kyle Shanahan said Lance would not get any first-team reps during training camp, the rookie lined up under center with the starters for at least one rep. Reports out of San Francisco indicate the team has dialed up a host of run plays for Lance, a welcome sign for fantasy owners who have identified the 21-year-old phenom as a potential sleeper. Lance is supposedly killing it at training camp, and it looks like it's becoming a real battle between him and veteran Jimmy Garoppolo.

SOURCE: San Jose Mercury News

Aug 3, 2021, 5:36 PM ET

Before the hype train gets too out of control, here's what Shanahan had to say about Lance getting one rep with the starting O-line:

Shanahan also continued calling an inordinate amount of running plays for Lance. Tuesday marked a new high-water mark in that regard, as Lance ran eight read-options and scrambled downfield once.

One of the designed runs saw Lance take his first-ever rep with the 49ers’ first-team offensive line.

“We have a seven-day install,” Shanahan said. “A certain play that went in today (for which) we wanted all the lines to get reps, and we’re only going to do that play with Trey.”

Shanahan had previously declined to divulge whether or not he had plans for specific offensive packages that centered around Lance. But that was before he called so many designed runs featuring the rookie at practice.

That, combined with Tuesday’s conscious effort to install at least one of those runs with the first-team offense, suggests that the 49ers are carving out a specific gameday role for Lance.

I think there's a plan not to rush Lance. When it's evident that Lance gives them a better chance to win games, that's when he'll be the starter. That said, the reports I've been reading make that timeline out to be sooner rather than later. I'll be excited whenever it happens!

Last edited by a moderator:
Before the hype train gets too out of control, here's what Shanahan had to say about Lance getting one rep with the starting O-line:

I think there's a plan not to rush Lance. When it's evident that Lance gives them a better chance to win games, that's when he'll be the starter. That said, the reports I've been reading make that timeline out to be sooner rather than later. I'll be excited whenever it happens!

Definitely get the sooner-than-later vibes in the tea leaves. Not sure how soon he'll be a great NFL QB, but I think he will be fantasy dynamite out of the gate. Cam set the bar for NFL rookies but if Lance plays 16 I could see him coming close.

If a contender with a QB *cough* Indy *cough* has a serious injury issue with a starter I think Jimmy is gone and it's the Trey Show.

And these are the tea leaves I'm talking about. Mind you, this is coming from an article about how it's smart insurance for SF to be having two good QBs on the roster:

“It would be awesome if Jimmy is the starter, because I’d love not to put that pressure on Trey right away,” Shanahan said. “In order to be as good as you’re going to be, you’ve got to go through a lot of stuff. And Jimmy’s already been through some stuff. He’s got a chance, especially with the way he’s handled this, to play at the top of his game. Trey, he’s going to come in and he can do a lot stuff and I know he’s only going to get better. But to not put that pressure on him right away is a great thing. And if we need to put more pressure on him, we will.”

This quote starts & ends with two HUGE "Ifs" bulging with subtext.

Grant Cohn @grantcohn

Trey Lance’s Wednesday:
Completed 7 of 8 passes.
The one incomplete pass was pass interference on the defense.
Two 45-yard completions — one to Dwelley, one to Kittle.
Two touchdown passes in the red zone.
One rushing touchdown in the red zone.

He’s putting on a show.
https://twitter.com/grantcohn/status/1422994253790076929?s=21

Danny @RepresentCA

What is the biggest surprise to you so far watching Lance?
https://twitter.com/representca/status/1422994768024334337?s=21

Grant Cohn @grantcohn

His throwing mechanics. They’re terrific.
https://twitter.com/grantcohn/status/1422994955916648450?s=21

Have to figure Lance’s ADP is going to go up big time if stories like this continue.

Truth be told though, if the hype is real, seems like no reason why he can’t be better than Lawrence this year or long term. Trevor has the “generational” tag, was the clear cut #1 pick, and has a much bigger college pedigree. But we’ve seen that often doesn’t translate that way in the end.

I’m dying over here!

Had the 1.4 in a SF/TE Premium 12 teamer where I have Ryan, Fitz and Goff at QB.

Took Pitts but just not sure if I should have nabbed Lance with my QB’s on the old side.

Word on draft night was the dude right after me, who took Lance was planning to take Pitts so I guess I could still try to make that deal.

Tyler Dunne@TyDunne

The official Trey Lance report, per one vet: “F----r looks really good!!!!”

On taking risks in today's NFL, how the rookie QB is blowing the 49ers away and why this unknown could tip the balance of powers in the NFC, icymi:  https://www.golongtd.com/p/why-trey-lance-is-destined-to-shine

------------------------------------

Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

Once the veterans start getting behind the rookie QB, there's only one way to go.

Clearly it's just a matter of "when" is week 1 or perhaps week 7 (after the bye unless the team is winning). Only reason I can see it not being week 1 is if they don't want to throw Lance to the wolves just yet. At the end of the day though, we're talking about Jimmy G here - not exactly a world beater, just a steady state provider.

Users who are viewing this thread