Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, jwb said:

48 - Hank Schrader - Hero

The only truly "good" character on the show. He took down Tuco. The feared cousins came for him... one was killed, and the other lost his legs. He had Gus figured out when nobody else even remotely suspected him. He even got Walt, until Jack interfered. 

Plus, he brewed Schraderbräu

 

Almost selected, but got Frank Barone.  Love this pick.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Yo Mama said:

Man, for both of my remaining open categories, I have two solid choices to pick from that could each potentially score well. I might have to flip a coin (twice). 

You want to give me your opinion and Ill give you mine. You have Mr Rogers in the category I need so no conflict

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Yo Mama said:

Hey @mphtrilogy and @rick6668 hows this sound for our judging triumvirate:
 

Categories

Theme Song

Holiday

Game Show

71-90 Supporting Man

71-90 Supporting Woman

MPH - do you want to pick one more so we all choose 2?

 

If you guys want to send me your rankings (no rush and we can do them in whatever order you want), I can pull it all together and write them up. If you guys have any commentary on the rankings or your criteria, I can include those too. 
 

Let me know what you think. 

Looks good, I'll take the lead on theme song, I’ve put a playlist together and we will crowdsource that for 1/4 score for some fun.

 

I’ll peruse the list a bit later for one more to add.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pick 49 - Lesley Candace Visser - Sports Personality 
 

Quote

Lesley Candace Visser (born September 11, 1953) is an American sportscaster, television and radio personality, and sportswriter. Visser is the first female NFL analyst on TV,[1] and the only sportscaster in history (male or female) who has worked on Final Four, NBA Finals, World Series, Triple Crown, Monday Night Football, the Olympics, the Super Bowl, the World Figure Skating Championships and the U.S. Open network broadcasts. Visser, who was voted the No. 1 Female Sportscaster of all-time in a poll taken by the American Sportscasters Association,[2] was elected to the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association's Hall of Fame in 2015

Quote

In 2009, Visser became the first woman to be an analyst for an NFL game on TV. ....

Visser[4] was the first woman to be recognized by the Pro Football Hall of Fame as the 2006 recipient of the Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award which recognizes long-time exceptional contributions to radio and television in professional football. Pro Football Hall of Famer Troy Aikman said about Visser in his 2006 induction speech, "[She] brought respect and professionalism to the field of journalism for her work in print and broadcasting. It makes me proud to be in [her] company today."[5]

A pioneer among women sports journalists, Visser re-joined CBS Sports in August 2000 after a six-year hiatus. She was formerly the sideline reporter for Monday Night Footballamong other assignments she had at ESPN and ABC Sports, such as the World Series, the Triple Crown and the World Figure Skating Championship. She serves as correspondent for the network's NFL and college basketball programming.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

RD 49 - Margaret Williams - supporting woman 1950-1970

Jean Hagen nominated three times for an Emmy Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for her role as Margaret Williams on the television series Make Room for Daddy. After the third season of show Jean left and the show wrote her off the show by having her die... which was the first time in tv sitcom history that a character was killed off a show. 

 

Edited by tuffnutt
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 - Mystery Science Theater 3000 - SciFi

One of my all time favorites. Yea, the main draw was riffing bad movies, but the host segments counted for about a half hour of content every episode, and it was definitely a sci-fi premise (12 seasons and 200+ episodes worth).

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Theme Songs is now ready to judge!

I’ve just put together the Spotify playlist for TV theme songs.  This will be a combination of the “MRY’ trifecta judging panel, myself @rick6668 @Yo Mama In addition to a 25% crowdsource score.

If you want to submit a crowdsource score, please take a listen to this tv theme song playlist and Private Message me your rankings by next Wednesday 12/2.  Please take into account the legacy of the song, how it sets up or is used in the show and your gut reaction as well as your own ranking criteria or course... 

I listened to this playlist twice this morning and with the exception of one song that is missing, this is a fantastic group and apologies in advance for the 1 point score as It definitely will not deserve it!  Not all songs were the exact TV theme song replica, but I put the closest version I could find in the Spotify playlist.

 

this song would have scored high on my own list, but alas not chosen....

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

Theme Songs is now ready to judge!

I’ve just put together the Spotify playlist for TV theme songs.  This will be a combination of the “MRY’ trifecta judging panel, myself @rick6668 @Yo Mama In addition to a 25% crowdsource score.

If you want to submit a crowdsource score, please take a listen to this tv theme song playlist and Private Message me your rankings by next Wednesday 12/2.  Please take into account the legacy of the song, how it sets up or is used in the show and your gut reaction as well as your own ranking criteria or course... 

I listened to this playlist twice this morning and with the exception of one song that is missing, this is a fantastic group and apologies in advance for the 1 point score as It definitely will not deserve it!  Not all songs were the exact TV theme song replica, but I put the closest version I could find in the Spotify playlist.

 

this song would have scored high on my own list, but alas not chosen....

 

 

I believe there’s two glaring omissions.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Yo Mama said:

Hey @mphtrilogy and @rick6668 hows this sound for our judging triumvirate:
 

Categories

Theme Song

Holiday

Game Show

71-90 Supporting Man

71-90 Supporting Woman

MPH - do you want to pick one more so we all choose 2?

 

If you guys want to send me your rankings (no rush and we can do them in whatever order you want), I can pull it all together and write them up. If you guys have any commentary on the rankings or your criteria, I can include those too. 
 

Let me know what you think. 

You guys want to judge the big one?  1990-2020 Drama... it’s the toughest one!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

I can think of at least 2 more for sure, but all on my best of list we’re definitely taken, other than WKRP....

 

I don’t know a thing about the TV show but this is the best “song” for sure: https://youtu.be/tlWqK83JP8I

and I’m shocked this iconic one went undrafted: 

https://youtu.be/0d8FTPv955I

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I don’t know a thing about the TV show but this is the best “song” for sure: https://youtu.be/tlWqK83JP8I

and I’m shocked this iconic one went undrafted: 

https://youtu.be/0d8FTPv955I

I forgot about that one, its a good one!

 

also rock around the clock season 1 of happy days

even the happy days regular theme post season 1  is pretty good as is Laverne and Shirley and Brady bunch....
 

rock around the clock topped the charts 25 years apart!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

I forgot about that one, its a good one!

 

also rock around the clock season 1 of happy days

even the happy days regular theme post season 1  is pretty good as is Laverne and Shirley and Brady bunch....
 

rock around the clock topped the charts 25 years apart!

 

I'd penalize Rock Around the Clock since it was already an established song - if not I'd throw this song into the mix. It was the theme to the short lived The Insiders.

Edited by Dr. Octopus
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:
1 hour ago, mphtrilogy said:

I can think of at least 2 more for sure, but all on my best of list we’re definitely taken, other than WKRP....

I don’t know a thing about the TV show but this is the best “song” for sure: https://youtu.be/tlWqK83JP8I

and I’m shocked this iconic one went undrafted: 

https://youtu.be/0d8FTPv955I

Here's a possible Top 3 that never got taken. Was weighing this with 'Moonlighting', but I was favoring tunes with lyrics for this category.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This was a tough choice (I even had to crowdsource and got some input from Acer to help me make my choice).  My other option also has a god chance to rank top 5 in this category, but I’ll go with a personal favorite that has been at the top of my list since the start of the draft.  Yo Mama selects:

 

49.16 – McDonalds “The Showdown” – Commercial

 

This classic commercial was first released during the Super Bowl in 1993 and ranks as one of the best commercials ever.

 

It features Larry Bird, who is too cheap to buy his own lunch, challenging Michael Jordan to a game of HORSE for his Big Mac and fries.  Bird, who realizes his athletic inferiority, immediately puts the limitation of “no dunks” on the game so he has any chance to win.

 

Both players being the legends that they are, neither ever misses a shot and the attempts get harder and crazier as the game progresses.  As a basketball player, this became canon on the playgrounds when it was time to challenge someone to a shooting contest.

 

It even spawned a few follow up versions, with MJ versus Marvin the Martian (which helped inspire Space Jam), and also with LeBron James versus Dwight Howard (which of course ended with the freeloading Bird stealing the lunch anyway).

 

 

“Off the floor, off the scoreboard, off the back board. . . nothing but net.”

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And now for the final pick.  This category was so deep, I am leaving a legit top 50 show all time as well as some of my personal favorites undrafted in this category.  Yo Mama selects:

 

50.01 – 30 Rock – 91-20 Comedy

 

This show was an all time classic comedy.  In its 7 seasons, 30 Rock was amazingly nominated for 103 emmy awards (7 for best comedy) and won 16 times (3 for best comedy).  The characters were iconic (and drafted early in this draft) and the writing was top notch.

 

It consistently ranks highly in numerous all time top tv show rankings lists, including Rolling Stone, IGN, and TV Guide.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

And now for the final pick.  This category was so deep, I am leaving a legit top 50 show all time as well as some of my personal favorites undrafted in this category.  Yo Mama selects:

 

50.01 – 30 Rock – 91-20 Comedy

 

This show was an all time classic comedy.  In its 7 seasons, 30 Rock was amazingly nominated for 103 emmy awards (7 for best comedy) and won 16 times (3 for best comedy).  The characters were iconic (and drafted early in this draft) and the writing was top notch.

 

It consistently ranks highly in numerous all time top tv show rankings lists, including Rolling Stone, IGN, and TV Guide.

 

 

best ever

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Don’t forget that when you’re done with your final pick, you need to take one of your precious show picks and select it as greatest TV show ever. 

I seem to be missing one of your picks

It is either western or documentary

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 - Rebecca Pearson - TV Mom

Like Jack, she's recent. Mandy Moore is excellent in this "real" portrayal of a modern day mom with no hijinks/laugh track. Bonus depicting the character through the generations, from young hottie to adult to shades of dementia-setting-in grandmother.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • timschochet changed the title to The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...