What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Las Vegas Raiders - PLAYOFFS!!!! (1 Viewer)

Respectable poster absolutely! But still trying to cast a hex on the Raiders!

I get it but Raider gris-gris is strong!
Not really.  

This Raiders team is different - at least so far. To me they are showing a confidence and swagger that reminds me of the old Raiders teams. And that's pretty scary.

They have something the Chiefs don't have right now - attitude. The Chiefs, in my opinion, have gotten a little complacent and are just assuming they can roll the ball out and no matter what happens Mahomes is going to rescue them at the end.

That Ravens game for the Chiefs was a gut-punch, because THAT is the game Mahomes usually pulls out at the end, and he didn't this time.

This Chiefs team has some weird mojo swirling around them in my opinion. I think they are vulnerable this year, and I'm starting to get the feeling that they are more like the Packers (win one Super Bowl with Rodgers and get close for the next 15 years) than the Patriots (always in the Super Bowl).

The Chiefs fancy themselves more like the Patriots. I don't see it. Our GM has made a ton of mistakes in the draft that will really play itself out over the next few years as Mahomes cap number gets more restrictive.

Meanwhile, Carr is playing out of his mind and Gruden and Mayock have somehow put together the Island of Misfit Toys with their draft but somehow it just works.  And when you add that swagger - watch out.

This will be fun to watch for sure. The Raiders are for real, IMO.

Not really.  

This Raiders team is different - at least so far. To me they are showing a confidence and swagger that reminds me of the old Raiders teams. And that's pretty scary.

They have something the Chiefs don't have right now - attitude. The Chiefs, in my opinion, have gotten a little complacent and are just assuming they can roll the ball out and no matter what happens Mahomes is going to rescue them at the end.

That Ravens game for the Chiefs was a gut-punch, because THAT is the game Mahomes usually pulls out at the end, and he didn't this time.

This Chiefs team has some weird mojo swirling around them in my opinion. I think they are vulnerable this year, and I'm starting to get the feeling that they are more like the Packers (win one Super Bowl with Rodgers and get close for the next 15 years) than the Patriots (always in the Super Bowl).

The Chiefs fancy themselves more like the Patriots. I don't see it. Our GM has made a ton of mistakes in the draft that will really play itself out over the next few years as Mahomes cap number gets more restrictive.

Meanwhile, Carr is playing out of his mind and Gruden and Mayock have somehow put together the Island of Misfit Toys with their draft but somehow it just works.  And when you add that swagger - watch out.

Don't ruin this for me by being reasonable and posting well considered opinions.

Not really.  

I do actually agree with your take on the Chiefs. We saw a bit of the same when Reid was coaching in Philadelphia.  He coaches teams to a lot of wins but his reputation was always that he couldn't quite get his teams over the hump. If not for Patrick Mahomes who, iirc, is the one who pushed for the play call on that big pass play to Tyreek that turned around the SB vs SF, that narrative about Reid would stand.

HOWEVER Reid still knows how to win a lot of games and Mahomes is still the best QB in the game. The offensive line will come together and the Chiefs are still very deservedly the favorites to win the West and the AFC overall.

As far as the Raiders look, I agree. A parlay before the season that the Raiders would open 2-0 v Bal & @Pitt probably would have paid 100:1 or more. The team looks great on both sides of the ball. Carr is unquestionably the MVP of the first two weeks of the season. Now, if only that meant something.

The offensive line is in shambles, the defensive line is playing at a level that is difficult to believe is sustainable and, every long suffering Raiders fan would agree that we have seen far too many 6-2 starts deteriorate into 8-8 finishes.

So, color me cautiously optimistic but still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I would say the gap between the Raiders and Chiefs has closed some. How much is still very much TBD. The games between them this season should certainly be of utmost interest for all fans.

i don't love this move, with the OL dropping like flies.  

Signed LB Marquel Lee to the practice squad; Released T Devery Hamilton from the practice squad.

aawtfdik

Contact has been made with chad. :pickle:

Decoy is looking pretty good. Just got hurt, as I type  

Playcalling after that AWFUL start, has looked good. 

Peyton barber sucks. 

Great win, but I don't think Gruden knows the OT rules.  Should have kicked field goal on third down and shouldn't have run clock down to three seconds to kick the FG.  But anyway.....3-0!!!!!!!

I keep seeing people complaining about this, but I like running the clock down.  If you miss (other than a blocked return) then at least you tie.  Kicking and missing with 1 minute left gives the Dolphins time to win.  We know how that worked out last year.

I keep seeing people complaining about this, but I like running the clock down.  If you miss (other than a blocked return) then at least you tie.  Kicking and missing with 1 minute left gives the Dolphins time to win.  We know how that worked out last year.

At the end waiting till three seconds is just dumb.  If there is a botched snap then you can't line up and kick again.  The game is over and you tie.  He was calling plays as if he thought Miami would get the ball back even if they made the kick.

:yawn:

W accept it and move on.
Hopefully Gruden and the Raiders learned some lessons from today’s game.  The Raiders should have been in control of this game from the beginning but instead had to squeak out a win.   Gruden makes horrendous decisions at times.   

I was worried about passing out leaving the game from being lightheaded from yelling so much. My voice is on the verge of going out. Awesome seats (my wife is like "wow. Nice seats" meaning she expects a very pricey gift, gonna have to show her it was not as expensive as she thinks)... fun game to go to... and most importantly 3-0. I am worn out. Probably just get dinner and stay in tonight to recuperate and be ready for the Stadium tour tomorrow then fly back. Thoughts on the game later... 

P.S. Yes, the Excalibur is a dump. 🤣

Hopefully Gruden and the Raiders learned some lessons from today’s game.  The Raiders should have been in control of this game from the beginning but instead had to squeak out a win.   Gruden makes horrendous decisions at times.   
Okay, but whenever I hear people talk about bad decisions highly successful professional coaches make I...wonder about a lot of things people think.

I don't mean to call you out Doc, you're a good guy and I have always liked you, my following comments are generic but you did inspire them, I hope that's okay. If not, well I am sincerely sorry.

But does any weekend warrior, magic football player who posts here really think they could consistently make better better decisions in all situations over multiple years while designing one of the most effective offenses in the NFL today?

Look, NFL coaches are not perfect, even Bill Belichik makes mistakes in game and in the coaches room. Some coaches make horrible decisions, worthy of criticism, on camera in front of millions of people. But whenever I hear people complain on message boards I always wonder which coach I see on the sidelines every Sunday is hiding behind their anonymous user name.

In retrospect Gruden probably should have kicked the game winner with more time on the clock, my guess is he would agree. But he didn't and the Raiders won. Would they have been in the position to win in that moment if you (not you specifically Doc) designed the offense, called all the offensive plays and coached that game?

3-0 Let's enjoy it.

Again, not about you Doc apologies of it comes off otherwise.

I was worried about passing out leaving the game from being lightheaded from yelling so much. My voice is on the verge of going out. Awesome seats (my wife is like "wow. Nice seats" meaning she expects a very pricey gift, gonna have to show her it was not as expensive as she thinks)... fun game to go to... and most importantly 3-0. I am worn out. Probably just get dinner and stay in tonight to recuperate and be ready for the Stadium tour tomorrow then fly back. Thoughts on the game later... 

P.S. Yes, the Excalibur is a dump. 🤣
I sent joe your text to me.  Sorry about your time out. 

:reported:  🤣

Okay, but whenever I hear people talk about bad decisions highly successful professional coaches make I...wonder about a lot of things people think.

I don't mean to call you out Doc, you're a good guy and I have always liked you, my following comments are generic but you did inspire them, I hope that's okay. If not, well I am sincerely sorry.

But does any weekend warrior, magic football player who posts here really think they could consistently make better better decisions in all situations over multiple years while designing one of the most effective offenses in the NFL today?

Look, NFL coaches are not perfect, even Bill Belichik makes mistakes in game and in the coaches room. Some coaches make horrible decisions, worthy of criticism, on camera in front of millions of people. But whenever I hear people complain on message boards I always wonder which coach I see on the sidelines every Sunday is hiding behind their anonymous user name.

In retrospect Gruden probably should have kicked the game winner with more time on the clock, my guess is he would agree. But he didn't and the Raiders won. Would they have been in the position to win in that moment if you (not you specifically Doc) designed the offense, called all the offensive plays and coached that game?

3-0 Let's enjoy it.

Going for it on 4th down, on your own 35?, in the 1st quarter, right after giving up a pick 6, when you haven’t been able to run the ball very effectively for the 1st two games of the season, was a really bad call.  Epically bad*. Arm chair qb’s aren’t going away.   :shrug:

Just win baby!!

*and I’m not interested in, what if they made it. They didn’t. 

3-0 Let's enjoy it.

And this is not directed at you specifically but why do some fans never take off the rose colored glasses?   

You do not go for it on fourth down on your 35 in the first quarter in a game that you should win.  There is simply no excuse for such a horrible decision.  Ever.  Gruden is an idiot at times.  He is a great OC but average HC.  If the Raiders had lost the game, there would be much more made of that stupid decision.   The Raiders squeaked out a win against Jacoby Brissett and it is was made difficult by Grudens decisions.  

3-0 Let's enjoy it.

I'm a huge Gruden fan, but he makes some mistakes.  We come on here to discuss the game, good and bad.  Part of the fun of following football and one particular team is analyzing the game and discussing what you thought went well and what you thought were mistakes.  I don't see the issue with criticizing decisions that we thought were poor.  

I'm a huge Gruden fan, but he makes some mistakes.  We come on here to discuss the game, good and bad.  Part of the fun of following football and one particular team is analyzing the game and discussing what you thought went well and what you thought were mistakes.  I don't see the issue with criticizing decisions that we thought were poor.  
I’m not a Gruden fan and dont hide it.   It is easy to criticize him when he makes horrible decisions.  Gruden runs a great offense but Carr is the reason that the Raiders are winning.  He is playing at a MVP level even though he missed some throws yesterday that he normally makes.  Gruden better make better decisions when competing against the strong teams in the AFC W or this 3-0 start will fade away as usual.   

I am not a Gruden apologist. I thought the 4th down play call was too aggressive. I understand why he did it after the offense had such a big negative play on the pick 6, but I think it was the wrong call.

The difference is Gruden made the call early knowing that of it fails there was still time to do exactly what the Raiders did, recover and win the game.

Between that "terrible" call and winning in OT there was some very good coaching that allowed the team to overcome in a game they would have surely lost in years past.

So yes, absolutely call out bad plays but try also to remember that, so far in 2021 there is a lot more good happening than bad.

I have always been a big Carr fan, he unfairly gets a bad rap.  I was also very down on the team when they brought Gruden back.

But let's be realistic about why Carr is playing at an MVP level.

I'm not sure we will find anybody, who in hindsight, agrees with the 4th down play.   Even in the moment, I'd imagine most fans were thinking "what are they doing?!" and then immediately holding their breath for the pending disappointment. 

What I'm most encouraged about was neither side of the ball decided to pack it in after being down 14-0.  Years past, that would have been a 'game over' score with no chance of coming back in.  But instead, this years team decided to go on an unanswered 25 point run (oh why couldn't it have been a 26 point run!!).

The team is playing with missing key parts, and finding ways to win.  Mullen looked great in coverage, I love how they are putting Moehrig in position to be successful.  The pass rush continues to be impressive.  Yannick's first step is outstanding.  Hunter is being Hunter and extending drives.   Ruggs looked great, Edwards is finding a way to contribute.  

3-0 against teams who were/are considered to be in the playoff hunt for this season, and 3 teams who each had 10+ wins last season.  I'll take it. 

Users who are viewing this thread