What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gov. Abbott opens TX. MS, CT, WV, AZ & KS join. Now GOP opens Georgia! (1 Viewer)

This is really basic. Non-mandatory masking equals more non-mandatory wearers. This helps the virus spread quicker and makes it more likely more people will get it.
Then mandate it for everyone over 65 and those with pre existing conditions.  Others might be ok with getting it. Based on the science anyway.  

This is rich. 

Disclosure - I'm not a "maskless guy"  - not spreading it around. Not relying on my Gov to tell me what to do. 
I used to be one of the least nanny staters on the board. Still am. Still think that in the face of a pandemic that there are certain curtailments on individual liberty that are allowable and needed.

Masks 101. This is crazy.

No, not everybody needs the government telling them what to do in order to do it. But some sure as #### do. The guy not wearing the mask obstructing me in the door telling me I'm one of those "masked sheeple" at the beginning of the pandemic, who I almost punched? Very hard? Guys like that. 

Then mandate it for everyone over 65 and those with pre existing conditions.  Others might be ok with getting it. Based on the science anyway.  
It's about the spread of it.

We're really back to Masks 101. Holy ####. They really should take away people's rights at times. I've become convinced that certain adults don't understand enough about what used to be civic responsibility to have certain rights.

This board convinces of that every day, both left and right.

It's about the spread of it.

We're really back to Masks 101. Holy ####. They really should take away people's rights at times. I've become convinced that certain adults don't understand enough about what used to be civic responsibility to have certain rights.

This board convinces of that every day, both left and right.
Youre right there. People are fundamentally in need of being told what to do by someone else.  Im not one of those people.   And I don't feel like punching those that disagree with me

Youre right there. People are fundamentally in need of being told what to do by someone else.  Im not one of those people.   And I don't feel like punching those that disagree with me
People that obstruct you, making sure you can't get through a doorway before they breathe all over you in the middle of a pandemic because they think you don't need a mask and what the hell have you got to lose?

Besides potentially your life?

No. That's a punchable offense. Right there. Hands down. #### the #### off, that guy can.

I just saw Abbott on the news and I had no idea he was handicapped and in a wheelchair.   Very nice to see he has had success and able to overcome obstacles. 👍

The GOP is ####### stupid these days and will not get my vote for years because of this. I can't be the only one seeing how stupid and destructive their policies are for the well-being of many, many people.

Good night, sweet princes. Your time is nearly up. Now to be filled with useless drivel. From useless vapid cups. 

Interesting. We’ve gotten communication and we rolled some accounts money forward. But they’ve not asked for a penny on any of ours yet. 
Ok that’s fair, haven’t paid either since my money from last year was rolled. They did ask us if we sticking around.

IvanKaramazov said:
Probably a month or so too early, but the effects of vaccination are probably going to completely drown out the effects of this policy change.
Unless an outburst from this terrible decision spawns a new variant resistant to the vaccine. 

This is really basic. Non-mandatory masking equals more non-mandatory wearers. This helps the virus spread quicker and makes it more likely more people will get it.
I dont actually think this will really matter much at all. The anti maskers wear crap masks and constantly pull them down anyway. A loose fitting cloth mask basically does nothing. 

I find it hard to believe that there are people out there that wear effective masks, but only do so due to mandates. 

I could be wrong, but thats my thoughts on the matter. 

We apparently are. Holy criminy. I think, for some people, we never left Masks 101 and those that failed Masks 101 are hollering the loudest about failing it but, hey, grade inflation and nobody wants to deal with them, so they get passed on.

The American public has never -- and I mean this -- acted more stupid than in this pandemic.
As someone who has worked directly with The Public in front-facing customer positions in various industries since 1991, I approve this message. 

I dont actually think this will really matter much at all. The anti maskers wear crap masks and constantly pull them down anyway. A loose fitting cloth mask basically does nothing. 

I find it hard to believe that there are people out there that wear effective masks, but only do so due to mandates. 

I could be wrong, but thats my thoughts on the matter. 
If I didn't have to wear one tomorrow, I wouldn't.  If the State of Michigan didn't require it, I would assume they made that call based on the numbers.

People that obstruct you, making sure you can't get through a doorway before they breathe all over you in the middle of a pandemic because they think you don't need a mask and what the hell have you got to lose?

Besides potentially your life?

No. That's a punchable offense. Right there. Hands down. #### the #### off, that guy can.
Wait, are you being serious with that example.

Wait, are you being serious with that example.
Yes. I had a guy stand in front of a two door entry way and feign like he was holding a door while he effectively blocked the exit while saying, and this is as best I remember, "Oh, you're one of those mask wearers aren't you? Well, come right on through," as he prevented safe passage instead of obeying any rule about six feet. I had to squeeze by him to leave and decided on rapidity rather than confrontation. This was at the beginning of the pandemic. The woman that cuts my hair had somebody say to her, after many people had died and she'd already been shut down, "You sheeple will see in November" because she made him put a mask on. He later apologized. My guy I've never seen again, hers later apologized. I'm still wondering what November's election had to do with a scientific pandemic, but he thought otherwise, apparently. 

Stories like that likely abound. This thing really brought out the worst in people, from political obstreperousness to a lack of scientific understanding.

Yes. I had a guy stand in front of a two door entry way and feign like he was holding a door while he effectively blocked the exit while saying, and this is as best I remember, "Oh, you're one of those mask wearers aren't you? Well, come right on through," as he prevented safe passage instead of obeying any rule about six feet. I had to squeeze by him to leave and decided on rapidity rather than confrontation. This was at the beginning of the pandemic. The woman that cuts my hair had somebody say to her, after many people had died and she'd already been shut down, "You sheeple will see in November" because she made him put a mask on. He later apologized. My guy I've never seen again, hers later apologized. I'm still wondering what November's election had to do with a scientific pandemic, but he thought otherwise, apparently. 

Stories like that likely abound. This thing really brought out the worst in people, from political obstreperousness to a lack of scientific understanding.
I'm amazed at my good fortune in not running into so many #######s.  I was starting to think they only existed on the internet.

The mask thing.  I still wear a mask.  I prefer others in close contact do also.  Its debatable to me whether at this point or not the government should be requiring it...but again I thought businesses would still generally require it (at their discretion) and that most people would wear it.

Not sure if this is coincidence or if Abbott knew this was coming, but Biden has apparently now updated the timeline and is saying that we'll have enough vaccines for all adults by the end of May.  

Remember this time last year, when the sophisticated in-the-know take was that we should be more worried about the flu than covid-19 and people in the FFA were making really regrettable posts about how wild hippos were more dangerous, and then the ground completely shifted under everybody's feet in a matter of weeks?  That's what's about to happen again, only in reverse.    
Don't get shot on armistice day. 

Skiing last week I had to share a gondola (non-Vail Resorts/Utah) with a grotesque woman who upon the doors closing gleefully ripped off her mask and told her friend and the three strangers she was joined with that she would not be wearing hers. "I can't." I reached over top of her and opened the window next to her and every other window in the car. She then proceeded to regale the group with how many different ways she's tried to get it. Her mother and kids had it, she says - of course no problems - and she had her kids coughing on her in hopes of getting it. She's immune! Can't get it!

It was one of the grossest displays of this... thing that I've seen. I almost felt sorry for her.

Skiing last week I had to share a gondola (non-Vail Resorts/Utah) with a grotesque woman who upon the doors closing gleefully ripped off her mask and told her friend and the three strangers she was joined with that she would not be wearing hers. "I can't." I reached over top of her and opened the window next to her and every other window in the car. She then proceeded to regale the group with how many different ways she's tried to get it. Her mother and kids had it, she says - of course no problems - and she had her kids coughing on her in hopes of getting it. She's immune! Can't get it!

It was one of the grossest displays of this... thing that I've seen. I almost felt sorry for her.
The northeast ski resorts only allow people that know each other in same gondola.  Same for chairs.  There’s no sharing.  

I'm amazed at my good fortune in not running into so many #######s.  I was starting to think they only existed on the internet.

The mask thing.  I still wear a mask.  I prefer others in close contact do also.  Its debatable to me whether at this point or not the government should be requiring it...but again I thought businesses would still generally require it (at their discretion) and that most people would wear it.
The experiences with my accounts are they would rather have people come in without a mask vs telling them to leave without spending a dime.   Now I bartend weddings on the side and I won't do it if I have to wear a mask and gloves.  Until the state changes that, I'm out.  I know how people are when drinking.  

The northeast ski resorts only allow people that know each other in same gondola.  Same for chairs.  There’s no sharing.  
Heavenly was groups together or you get the gondola to yourself. Everywhere I've been has allowed mixed parties to ride open lifts with an open seat between. CA, UT, and CO. All Vail Resorts with the exception of one.

The experiences with my accounts are they would rather have people come in without a mask vs telling them to leave without spending a dime.   Now I bartend weddings on the side and I won't do it if I have to wear a mask and gloves.  Until the state changes that, I'm out.  I know how people are when drinking.  
Would seem like anybody not good with going mask less should stay away from bars...period.

On your first point I see where business can be put in an awkward position.

Heavenly was groups together or you get the gondola to yourself. Everywhere I've been has allowed mixed parties to ride open lifts with an open seat between. CA, UT, and CO. All Vail Resorts with the exception of one.
Plus resorts here are limiting passes/people per day.  

Plus resorts here are limiting passes/people per day.  
I think just about everywhere is doing that. Although, pretty sure that is to limit lift lines more than anything else. I've never seen lift lines like I saw one of my days at Heavenly and another at PC. Both weekdays.

Ok that’s fair, haven’t paid either since my money from last year was rolled. They did ask us if we sticking around.
Oh yeah they did that.  In all seriousness, appreciate your ticket office.  I deal with over 50 collegiate ones around the country.  The U of M was the most transparent and fair about this whole process for the past year.  I can't say enough good things about them.  Not once did they ever try to hide what was happening, keep fans out of the loop, or essentially steal their money.  There were those who did.

Last edited by a moderator:

You have had the good fortune. I think it might be a red/blue state thing. I live in a red county where they announced they weren't going to enforce the statewide mask mandate. Of course, our cases shot through the roof once we reopened from a curfew shutdown. No masks worn. I'm not perfect, either. I probably have put myself in situations where it's stupid to be in. But I've always had one or two on, at least assuring I don't spread it. I'm not perfect, and I still may get it, but I want to minimize the chance of getting it and spreading it before the vaccine comes to my particular demographic and then to the general population.

I have a hard time, also, believing that this should be a red/blue thing, or a civil liberties/not civil liberties issue. I understand the closings and the loss to the economy and the difficulty of people losing jobs that never come back. I'm unemployed, too, and it doesn't bode well for me. To argue to re-open is a calculus and sliding scale of how many deaths can we stomach before re-opening and differing mileages vary. I get that. But to disregard the whole mask thing by saying that the science doesn't support it, or that it's a myth is stunning to me. Err on the side of caution and we'll all be better for it. Who cares if you have to wear a mask for another month? 

You have had the good fortune. I think it might be a red/blue state thing. I live in a red county where they announced they weren't going to enforce the statewide mask mandate. Of course, our cases shot through the roof once we reopened from a curfew shutdown. No masks worn. I'm not perfect, either. I probably have put myself in situations where it's stupid to be in. But I've always had one or two on, at least assuring I don't spread it. I'm not perfect, and I still may get it, but I want to minimize the chance of getting it and spreading it before the vaccine comes to my particular demographic and then to the general population.

I have a hard time, also, believing that this should be a red/blue thing, or a civil liberties/not civil liberties issue. I understand the closings and the loss to the economy and the difficulty of people losing jobs that never come back. I'm unemployed, too, and it doesn't bode well for me. To argue to re-open is a calculus and sliding scale of how many deaths can we stomach before re-opening and differing mileages vary. I get that. But to disregard the whole mask thing by saying that the science doesn't support it, or that it's a myth is stunning to me. Err on the side of caution and we'll all be better for it. Who cares if you have to wear a mask for another month? 
Agree, it’s red/blue because everything is and it sucks.

I think just about everywhere is doing that. Although, pretty sure that is to limit lift lines more than anything else. I've never seen lift lines like I saw one of my days at Heavenly and another at PC. Both weekdays.
Yeah same here.  A couple of massive snow storms hit Vermont and New Hampshire...

I have no idea how vaccination is going in Texas, but in my state the elderly are already vaccinated.  It will be a little while yet before we get through all the people with various comorbidities, but we're getting there.  Those aren't really the people we need to be worrying about.  This is weird to think about, but as recently as a month or so ago I considered myself to be relatively "low risk" compared to lots of other folks.  The situation has changed to the point where a guy like me -- nearly 50 with only one underlying condition (well-controlled asthma) is probably among the higher-risk people out there now, just because everybody else in a higher risk tier is now immune, or will be in the very near future. 

As has been the case through pretty much the entire pandemic, our conversation is about a month behind events on the ground.  I think it's still a little too early to open up, but we should be planning plan on reopening in a couple of months.  I can't really say that Texas is doing anything wildly out of line here.   
Opening up may be correct, because there are some economic (and mental health) benefits to offset the added cases and deaths.   But what is the benefit of eliminating the mask mandate? It may contribute to some deaths, maybe one, maybe dozens or even thousands. We'll never know, so there is little political risk. I suspect that opening up the economy in Florida and South Florida in particular may have contributed to cases and deaths - the only evidence is curves on ActCovidNow which were taller in July& August than almost any regions and seem to be declining more slowly now than in other states. There haven't been any high quality studies of transmission, such as done by Paraic Kenny in Wisconsin who has tracked variants within the meat packing industry and showed strong evidence of spread from college students in La Crosse to nursing homes, resulting in deaths: https://wisconsinhealthnews.com/2021/02/26/gundersen-uses-genome-sequencing-to-monitor-track-covid-19-spread/

Opening up may be correct, because there are some economic (and mental health) benefits to offset the added cases and deaths.   But what is the benefit of eliminating the mask mandate? It may contribute to some deaths, maybe one, maybe dozens or even thousands. We'll never know, so there is little political risk. I suspect that opening up the economy in Florida and South Florida in particular may have contributed to cases and deaths - the only evidence is curves on ActCovidNow which were taller in July& August than almost any regions and seem to be declining more slowly now than in other states. There haven't been any high quality studies of transmission, such as done by Paraic Kenny in Wisconsin who has tracked variants within the meat packing industry and showed strong evidence of spread from college students in La Crosse to nursing homes, resulting in deaths: https://wisconsinhealthnews.com/2021/02/26/gundersen-uses-genome-sequencing-to-monitor-track-covid-19-spread/
Pandering to morons.

From twitter:

"It’s March. By May the U.S. is expected to have enough vaccines for everyone. Cases are way down. But they’re still very high, and in a tenuous plateau. Ending precautions now is like entering the last miles of a marathon and taking off your shoes and eating several hot dogs."

Awesome. Some common gosh darn sense finally.  

#ditchthemask

Adding Texas and Mississippi to potential retirement states. 

Users who are viewing this thread