What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Derek Chauvin trial. Murder of George Floyd. Convictions now appealed. (2 Viewers)

It’s going to be interesting to see how Chauvin’s defense team is going to convince a jury that Chauvin’s knee on Floyd’s neck for 8:46 had absolutely nothing to do with Floyd dying at the end of those 8:46.

However, I won’t be surprised when they do because we have seen it happen before.
It is part of the Minnesota PD training manual on how to restrain subjects, even those who are having a medical emergency. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/minneapolis-pd-trained-officers-to-use-the-neck-restraint-that-killed-george-floyd-docs/ar-BB16vgu6

The manual included a PowerPoint slide with a photo of the restraint in practice under the title, “Ok they are now in handcuffs now what.” It said: “Sudden cardiac arrest typically occurs immediately following a violent struggle.” It advised officers to put suspects in the recovery position to avoid positional asphyxia and call emergency services once the person was in handcuffs.

Lethal to Joe Public, or lethal to an addict his size?   

Just gross that this is getting spun that this was the cause of death, not the knee on his neck for 8mins.   I mean, I get his lawyer claiming that, but not media talking heads.  
Stating facts isn't spinning things, and the fentanyl in his system is likely to be the determining factor in this trial.  So we should talk about it, not suppress it.  I don't know if Floyd was dying of an overdose, but we do know these facts - which are indisputable:

1. He had a large amount of fentanyl in his system - 3 times the amount that is lethal to an average person.

2. In a meeting with the D.A. the Medical Examiner noted:  https://www.mncourts.gov/getattachment/Media/StateofMinnesotavTouThao/Container-Documents/Content-Documents/Exhibit-4.pdf.aspx?lang=en-US

Fentanyl — 11. He said, “that’s pretty high.” This level of fentanyl can cause pulmonary edema. Mr. Floyd’s lungs were 2-3x their normal weight at autopsy. That is a fatal level of fentanyl under normal circumstances.
3. One of the tell-tale signs of fentanyl overdose is trouble breathing.

4. According to the transcript of the encounter, George Floyd said he couldn't breathe 6 times before he was even placed on the ground.  https://www.twincities.com/2020/07/09/george-floyd-transcript-read-it-in-full-here/

Those are the facts and they are indisputable.  That being said I do think Chauvin committed a crime during the encounter.  His negligence clearly contributed to Floyd's death.  I'd encourage everyone to watch the entire body cam footage, including when they put Floyd in the ambulance.  They took so damn long to administer the right aid to him.  I'm sure there are procedures which have to be followed but when you watch the video it just screams out that they need to administer CPR and give him oxygen - long before they actually did.

NorvilleBarnes said:
OK second question for the lawyers (or anyone): but concerning the potential 3rd degree murder charge. If A) Judge Cahill permits the charge and the MN Supreme Court overturns the Noor decision, or B) Cahill denies the charge and then the MN SC upholds Noor, what happens to Chauvin?
Well that was fast. LINK 3rd degree murder charge is added.

Still looking for opinions on A) above

It is part of the Minnesota PD training manual on how to restrain subjects, even those who are having a medical emergency. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/minneapolis-pd-trained-officers-to-use-the-neck-restraint-that-killed-george-floyd-docs/ar-BB16vgu6

The manual included a PowerPoint slide with a photo of the restraint in practice under the title, “Ok they are now in handcuffs now what.” It said: “Sudden cardiac arrest typically occurs immediately following a violent struggle.” It advised officers to put suspects in the recovery position to avoid positional asphyxia and call emergency services once the person was in handcuffs.
Thanks for the article.

Noticed this in the article 

According to body-camera footage, Chauvin had his knee on Floyd’s neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds—including nearly three minutes in which Floyd was unresponsive.
Apparently it didn't take 8:46 to get Floyd into handcuffs 

Jury selection was very interesting today. Several potential jurors were very honest about their inability to be impartial and deliver a fair verdict were dismissed. One juror had gone to the site of the memorial for George Floyd and posted on social media about it being sacred ground. One juror had a girlfriend very active in protests and marches and said it would be very difficult not to discuss the case with her. One juror said she felt what had happened was so wrong she joined a non profit organization to help with under served people in the community. 

So just bad timing that he happened to die from an overdose at the exact same time someone was kneeling on his neck?
Or was it just bad timing that he happened to die from a commonly used police restraint at the exact same time he was overdosing on fentanyl?  Put another way, why haven’t we seen more deaths from that particular restraint?  And wouldn’t he lose consciousness quicker than 5 minutes in if the blood supply to his brain was cut off?  I don’t pretend to know the answer as to what exactly killed Floyd.  One thing’s for sure is that Chauvin should have gotten off his neck when he lost consciousness, and for that he should go to jail.

Just saw a commercial.  CNN acting like this is a new Stars Wars movie coming soon,  Disgusting..

Or was it just bad timing that he happened to die from a commonly used police restraint at the exact same time he was overdosing on fentanyl?  Put another way, why haven’t we seen more deaths from that particular restraint?  And wouldn’t he lose consciousness quicker than 5 minutes in if the blood supply to his brain was cut off?  I don’t pretend to know the answer as to what exactly killed Floyd.  One thing’s for sure is that Chauvin should have gotten off his neck when he lost consciousness, and for that he should go to jail.
There is no proof that he was overdosing on fentanyl.

I would bet a lot of money a plea was offered and/or plea negotiations took place, but what we'll likely never know if what was specifically offered or counteroffered.
Probably already covered, but I saw this headline a couple of weeks ago: 

AG Barr quashed plea deal by fired Officer Derek Chauvin in George Floyd death

As part of the failed deal, Derek Chauvin was willing to go to jail for more than 10 years.

The fired Minneapolis police officer who held his knee to George Floyd's neck agreed to plead guilty to third-degree murder days after Floyd's death, but then-Attorney General William Barr rejected the deal.

Another potential juror believes she was called for jury duty as part of a higher purpose. A little surprised at how many believe this. She was also excused.

Jury selection was very interesting today. Several potential jurors were very honest about their inability to be impartial and deliver a fair verdict were dismissed. One juror had gone to the site of the memorial for George Floyd and posted on social media about it being sacred ground. One juror had a girlfriend very active in protests and marches and said it would be very difficult not to discuss the case with her. One juror said she felt what had happened was so wrong she joined a non profit organization to help with under served people in the community. 
Have they said how long the trial will be?  If I were in the jury pool for this case, I'd almost certainly say something like this.  I'm all for civic duty and all, but its hard to take 2-3 weeks or longer off work, especially if its unpaid.

Have they said how long the trial will be?  If I were in the jury pool for this case, I'd almost certainly say something like this.  I'm all for civic duty and all, but its hard to take 2-3 weeks or longer off work, especially if its unpaid.
The judge has consistently referred to four weeks.  Seems like some of the things he goes over individually could be communicated all at once to a group of potential jurors. I can't recall the start date but I THINK it's Mar 29.

Hey, MN pays its jurors 20 bucks a day and reimburses you 54 cents for each mile driven!

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) --

Minneapolis reaches $27M settlement with George Floyd's family in police custody death lawsuit.

I hate to write this but- 

If it’s a mostly white jury and for whatever reason Chauvin is acquitted of all charges, there’s going to be awful rioting. 

timschochet said:

If it’s a mostly white jury and for whatever reason Chauvin is acquitted of all charges, there’s going to be awful rioting. 
Bold prediction there, Nostradamus. 

I think the coroners report will show Floyd died of drugs and drug use with what the officers did as contributing but the core reason Floyd died was the drugs and resisting officers

and the officers will be aquitted

and cities will burn, dozens will die, hundreds of millions in damages will result 
Very selective thinking you have there.

Jury selection resumed. The first potential juror of the morning stating she had heard of the settlement over the weekend and was surprised by the amount. She was honest in that she didn't think she could be impartial in this case. She was excused.

Very selective thinking you have there.
just based on what I've seen 

what happened a couple of nights ago ?  and that was an anniversary only

https://www.foxnews.com/us/west-coast-cities-erupt-in-violence-on-breonna-taylor-anniversary

Major cities on the West Coast were among those seeing riots and protests Saturday night as demonstrators marked the one-year anniversary of Breonna Taylor’s death in a police raid in Louisville, Kentucky.

Los Angeles, Seattle and Portland all saw clashes between crowds and police, with numerous arrests reported.

In Los Angeles, some demonstrators smashed store windows and threw rocks at police officers in Hollywood.

Social media videos showed police officers in riot gear near the intersection of Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street near the Hollywood Walk of Fame. One social media video showed a protester jumping on a police cruiser as it sped away.

75 year old potential juror - one of the very few elderly in the pool - admitting he cannot be impartial due to what he has seen in the media. Excused by the judge.

Another juror, did not know what "Blue Lives Matter" meant. Shae had an unfavorable opinion of Chauvin and was worried about riots. She is on the jury.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chauvin's lawyers requesting a change of venue since the civil settlement was announced on Friday. 

Judge Cahill decided jury selection will continue for now.

Potential juror who thinks, according to religious beliefs, that we're all guilty of something, has been excused.

Next juror believes Chauvin killed Floyd and has told friends and family that. A LOT of questioning with him going back and forth between believing he can render a fair verdict and his belief that Chauvin is already guilty. He was dismissed.

The motions for continuance and change of venue are still under advisement.

The next juror, there was also A LOT of questions about his ability to be fair and put aside the strong opinions he's formed. At one point the judge sent him to another room while the judge and lawyers discussed. Brought the juror back, asked him the same thing ten more times in different ways - and then excused him.

It doesn't matter what the jury composition is.  If there is an acquittal there will be blood in the streets.

A conviction here is anything but a slam dunk.

Jury selection was sort of paused this morning as the judge was calling the previously selected jurors to see if they had heard or seen any news about the 27M settlement.

Really strange to see others experience Zoom issues. 

2 jurors were stricken due to their exposure to the news and the effect of their ability to remain impartial.

So we're back down to 7 with 7 more to go.

Really fascinating arguments this morning on motions surrounding the admissibility of testimony of a psychiatrist and also evidence pertaining to Floyds May 2019 arrest (that had an astonishing number of similarities to the May 2020 event). Different lawyer for the state than the one questioning jurors. Judge Cahill announced he would rule tomorrow along with his decisions on continuance, change of venue, and one other motion that I didn't catch. 

The first potential juror this morning was dismissed after some questions from the judge about the news she had seen about the case and the settlement.

The second juror is a neighbor to someone on the witness list. Her son had attended some of the protests. After very lengthy questioning from both lawyers, the state excused her as a juror.

:eek:  Judge Cahill just "lost his temper" with the prosecuting attorney. LINK

12 jurors selected. 2 more to go.

:eek:  Judge Cahill just "lost his temper" with the prosecuting attorney. LINK
Appreciate your updates in here.   I don't have time to keep up.   Judge was clearly frustrated not only with the prosecuting attorney but every time he comes into court the state complains about another press conference that's been held.   "Just stop talking about it."   That's all he can hope for.

This mornings rulings: 
Only part of the May 2019 arrest and recording is admissible because it relates to Mr. Floyds physical response to similar circumstances. Only part of the recording and body cams of the May 26 arrest is admissible. If, during the trial, the defense "opens the door" to discuss Mr. Floyds emotional state then the state can bring Dr. Vincent to testify. But if the state brings Dr. Vincent, then the entire 2019 and 2020 arrests and records will be admissible.

Motions of continuance and change of venue denied. 

13 jurors now selected. I thought they were going for 14 to have two alternates, but at the end of the day Judge Cahill said they were going to select two more.

Defense submitted more motions and affidavits Friday for change of venue. Still denied. 

First potential juror this morning was involved in protests, didn't believe black people were treated fairly by police, and disagreed with Blue Lives Matter by quoting Chappelle. She was excused.

Next juror has since learned that he won't be getting paid during jury duty (company policy change) and that's a concern. Both sides asked a lot of questions. The state decided to strike and juror was excused.

Next juror excused by the judge because she admitted she had difficulty understanding the judges instructions and had difficulty with the language.

The following juror was selected after lengthy questioning from both sides. I THINK this makes 14 and jury selection is continuing after lunch.

No further jurors selected. At the close Judge Cahill said they were seeing 12 potential jurors tomorrow no matter how long it takes.

Several jurors dismissed this morning. One was in tears at the thought of serving she seemed genuinely frightened. Dismissed by the judge. A truck driver who supported Blue Lives Matter was dismissed by the state. Unfortunately I had to do some actual work and completely missed the last juror selected. They're in recess until Monday morning 3/29.

Overall I think it was good to broadcast the jury selection in terms of demystifying the process and possibly de-escalating tensions. I am concerned that some jurors may be identified by internet sleuths - I hope I'm wrong.

Several jurors dismissed this morning. One was in tears at the thought of serving she seemed genuinely frightened. Dismissed by the judge. A truck driver who supported Blue Lives Matter was dismissed by the state. Unfortunately I had to do some actual work and completely missed the last juror selected. They're in recess until Monday morning 3/29.

Overall I think it was good to broadcast the jury selection in terms of demystifying the process and possibly de-escalating tensions. I am concerned that some jurors may be identified by internet sleuths - I hope I'm wrong.
I agree- a jury should absolutely not be doxxed. It is one of those important institutions that needs to be protected. Both sides have nutjobs that would not hesitate to intimidate a juror.

Juror No. 131 is an accountant who is married with a puppy at home. He describes himself as a competitive person who likes to follow sports. He also noted he will be moving out of the state at the end of May.

He said he was "shocked" to find out he was summoned for jury duty relating to this trial. 
The last juror above. 

He believes the duration Chauvin had his knee on Floyd's neck was "unnecessary." He also believes it shouldn't have taken four officers to respond to the original call. 

The man said he has not posted any opinions on his social media regarding the incident, however, has discussed with coworkers what he could do personally and what they could do as an organization to help end racism. 

The juror in question does not support defunding police. 

"They provide a service to our society... If we're talking about shifting funds, then that's a conversation to have, but cutting funding is not something I would support," he said, further stating they are an "essential" part of our communities. 

The juror has maintained that he would be able to be impartial if he would be selected to serve on the jury.

He believes people shouldn't kneel for the National Anthem. He says he prefers a different method for some to get their message across. 

In regards to the rioting and looting, he said Black Lives Matter was a contributing factor to it. 
ETA: I'd say that 131 is a win for the defense, but not as much as juror 129 would have been.

The trial starts today. I heard they are live streaming it? Any good, non-partial links or TV Channels to watch it on?

Early motion. In opening attorneys are not allowed to discuss George Floyds intent (resist arrest) but they are allowed to say things like "he appeared to resist arrest".
The plan is to daily 9:30 - 12:30 and then 1:30 - 4:30, 9 - 9:30 for motions.
All 15 jurors showed up so one is cut loose to make 12 with 2 alternates.

Both opening statements are complete. I imagine many on the jury may have just heard an enormous amount of new information. Didn't catch his name but the lawyer for the prosecution was different than the jury selection lawyer.

Watching on delay, but the 2nd witness is not really helping. Seems very much out of touch with anything going on. 

Watching on delay, but the 2nd witness is not really helping. Seems very much out of touch with anything going on. 
Only able to catch part of that. Very bizarre.

Can you raise your right hand. (Raises left hand)

Can you move toward the mic please? (moves away from the mic) 

Where are you from?

Arizona

What part of Arizona.

Oh you know, just  . . . Arizona

What was the main point of her testimony?

Where are you from?

Arizona

What part of Arizona.

Shocking that she never finished high school. Such a train wreck. I’ll bet she is about to get memed. 

Where are you from?

Arizona

What part of Arizona.

She worked at the store across the street and took 7 videos of the arrest on her phone.   To get those videos in, they needed her to authenticate them.   

Users who are viewing this thread