What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Nico Collins, HOU (1 Viewer)

For a mid 3rd round rookie pick you could do a lot worse than a prototype WR that has athleticism to spare and probably suffered from poor QB play in college, who is *likely* going to be the Texans starting X on day 1. I picked him up almost everywhere.
Just went 3.01. I had him targeted at 3.06...:kicksrocks:

If you are asking that to imply he was a disappointment in college or did not live up to his abilities I would point out the Texans QB coach and passing game coordinator and assistant receivers coach/asst OC both coached him at Michigan. So obviously they would know him well and I'm guessing they think other things might have held him back from reaching his potential.
This is really important information I didn't know. So the Houston coaches are in position to know whether his college production is his floor or his ceiling and I doubt they would aggressively trade up to get him, as they did, if they didn't think he had a lot of potential.

If you are asking that to imply he was a disappointment in college or did not live up to his abilities I would point out the Texans QB coach and passing game coordinator and assistant receivers coach/asst OC both coached him at Michigan. So obviously they would know him well and I'm guessing they think other things might have held him back from reaching his potential.
Probably another fantasy wr6 that you will never play.

menobrown said:
Watson will never play for Houston again.
Yeah, you are probably right. 

Didn't he underperform in college?  A lot of that is probably bad qb play.  Won't be much for 2021, but yes, beyond that is unknown.
Sort of but the whole offense underperformed. Harbaugh and the QBs were brutal. I think Tee Higgins, Jerry Jeudy or Jamarr Chase would have underperformed at Michigan as well. My only issue with Nico is I only ever saw 1 thing from him: down field jump ball. He's very much a Kenny Golladay style. Now ofcourse that worked great for Kenny but the NFL franchise dumpster bin is also littered with jump ball contested WRs who couldn't do anything else. 

I don’t normally agree with JohnnyU’s condescension, but I think this is a real reach to hope for much here. Watson gets miraculously cleared, he’s getting traded immediately. Most likely he’s probably sitting for a good chunk if not all of the season and traded next year. In the meantime, Tyrod barely cracked 3k yards passing a year while starting for Buffalo and only produced one 1K yard receiver in those 3 seasons. Miles is a developmental 3rd round QB and total question mark, but odds are not good that he’s the next Russell Wilson. Cobb’s contract makes it impossible to cut him this year, Cooks took a restructure to stay this year. Sure after this year who knows, but there’s likely to be major roster turnover and possibly some highly drafted early picks to contend with in the future.

The ownership and front-office are the laughing stock of the league and the coaches are yes men with no power. I just can’t see touching any Texans player with a 10 foot pole for a few years. This team will likely be cleaning house and starting over again in a few years when this terrible Caserio and Easterby obsession of Cal McNair’s goes down in flames. As a Texan fan I hope I am wrong, but there’s little to suggest what the Texans are doing has much of a chance of succeeding.

I don’t normally agree with JohnnyU’s condescension, but I think this is a real reach to hope for much here. Watson gets miraculously cleared, he’s getting traded immediately. Most likely he’s probably sitting for a good chunk if not all of the season and traded next year. In the meantime, Tyrod barely cracked 3k yards passing a year while starting for Buffalo and only produced one 1K yard receiver in those 3 seasons. Miles is a developmental 3rd round QB and total question mark, but odds are not good that he’s the next Russell Wilson. Cobb’s contract makes it impossible to cut him this year, Cooks took a restructure to stay this year. Sure after this year who knows, but there’s likely to be major roster turnover and possibly some highly drafted early picks to contend with in the future.

The ownership and front-office are the laughing stock of the league and the coaches are yes men with no power. I just can’t see touching any Texans player with a 10 foot pole for a few years. This team will likely be cleaning house and starting over again in a few years when this terrible Caserio and Easterby obsession of Cal McNair’s goes down in flames. As a Texan fan I hope I am wrong, but there’s little to suggest what the Texans are doing has much of a chance of succeeding.
I assume most are looking at him for dynasty. It's very possible the Texans are the worst team in the league this year and draft the next franchise QB at 1.01 next year. That makes Nico interesting right there. 

I assume most are looking at him for dynasty. It's very possible the Texans are the worst team in the league this year and draft the next franchise QB at 1.01 next year. That makes Nico interesting right there. 
This is my current frame of thought. I own zero shares here, but he went 3.04 right before my pick in a recent draft. The guy wasn’t interested in trading him and I settled for D’Wayne Eskridge. I like Collins’s chances of being a true #1 over the guy I ended up with.  I’m looking beyond 2021.  If you aren’t, there’s no need in repeating your opinion over and over again because you disagree. 

He went 2.9 and 3.3 in my two drafts so far. He doesn’t quite have WR1 upside IMO. I expect him to fall somewhere in between Mike Williams and Devante Parker. To me he is not as sudden as Parker, but slightly better in jump ball situations (Parker is really good). I think he’ll be a beast in the red zone, so if he is on a good offense, he’ll be very useful.

He went 2.9 and 3.3 in my two drafts so far. He doesn’t quite have WR1 upside IMO. I expect him to fall somewhere in between Mike Williams and Devante Parker. To me he is not as sudden as Parker, but slightly better in jump ball situations (Parker is really good). I think he’ll be a beast in the red zone, so if he is on a good offense, he’ll be very useful.
Ironically enough, I moved Parker for 4.2 while it was OTC to grab Collins and 4.6 (R. Stevenson fell).  Happy to get Parker off my roster if nothing else.

This is my current frame of thought. I own zero shares here, but he went 3.04 right before my pick in a recent draft. The guy wasn’t interested in trading him and I settled for D’Wayne Eskridge. I like Collins’s chances of being a true #1 over the guy I ended up with.  I’m looking beyond 2021.  If you aren’t, there’s no need in repeating your opinion over and over again because you disagree. 
I apologize for being negative on Collins in more than one post, but 78 receptions in 3 years and never more than 700 yards doesn’t exactly get one excited.  Of course Michigan QBs didn’t help his cause, but there is a high likelihood the Texans QB won’t either if Watson is gone.  For dynasty they could end up with Rattler or Howell and that looks promising, so there is nothing wrong with a third round dart throw.  I don’t see a lot of near future success however and by near future I mean 3 or more years.  Owners should be prepared to stash him for a few years.

We talk all the time about how hard it is to develop young WRs in FF. Obviously so much hinges on league format. As everyone knows I play mostly FFPC, so the roster crunch makes it incredibly difficult to hold a young prospect for very long. In fact, maybe not even past their first offseason. A dominant team isn't necessarily trying to make room for those kind of guys anyway, but a rebuilder has to struggle with which WR6 veteran types do they cut bait on in order to make room for a guy that you might not even be starting.

Enter Nico Collins. A guy I think can be their team's #1 WR on day 1. But I probably won't be starting him unless I really see it out there, so I am going to have to make room for him. Which means even though I may say there is no downside in a 3rd round pick that busts, you also have to factor in who you're cutting to do it, and who are you not picking up inseason to hold him? Well I'm looking at some of these rosters I just bought off the auction site this offseason and how they look after I've completed their rookie drafts, and I see lots of room for a guy like this. Today. Can I hold inseason will be another question. 

Names I'd be cutting:

Kirk, Perriman, Agholor, Perriman, Campbell, Bowden, Hamler, Slayton, Trequan Smith, Fulgham

Am I really giving up much there? We know what these guys are for the most part. At least a guy like Collins still has upside. 

I also have a lot of guys that I want to trade out of my roster - not as a 1 for 1 "I'm moving this guy to make room for Nico" kind of thing, but just guys like Julio, Deebo, Ruggs, Juju are guys I might want to simply move on from and as a byproduct of that spots become open. Perhaps.

Anyway I like to take lots of dart throws like this and then hopefully sort out as much info as possible before the regular season cuts. 

I agree with having Collins above all those mediocre WRs now, and I agree that if he does nothing regular season, it might be hard to keep him on a shallow roster. It's hard b/c those type of guys have no trade value even though they're better than what some people have at the end of their rosters.

I agree with having Collins above all those mediocre WRs now, and I agree that if he does nothing regular season, it might be hard to keep him on a shallow roster. It's hard b/c those type of guys have no trade value even though they're better than what some people have at the end of their rosters.
If he does nothing it should be easy to get rid of him. Even with terrible QB play we should expect playing time and for him to get an opportunity to make plays. We *should* be able to know a lot about him by midseason. If I need to start him I'm probably not competing anyway. If I don't need to start him then it would be that much easier to cut bait if it seems he isn't going to hit.

This.  

I remember fading AJ Brown because I didn't trust Marcus Mariotta.  A lot of people were saying, if Mariotta sucks, someone else will be the QB and Brown is going to succeed.  

Obviously Brown is a special talent and Nico isn't Brown.  But he got dropped into a blank canvas on a bad team.  They'll likely get a new QB next year.  And sure, the Texans have been poorly run and may botch their QB pick.  But if I can take him in the 3rd round, I'm signing up for that all day.

jm192 said:
This.  

I remember fading AJ Brown because I didn't trust Marcus Mariotta.  A lot of people were saying, if Mariotta sucks, someone else will be the QB and Brown is going to succeed.  

Obviously Brown is a special talent and Nico isn't Brown.  But he got dropped into a blank canvas on a bad team.  They'll likely get a new QB next year.  And sure, the Texans have been poorly run and may botch their QB pick.  But if I can take him in the 3rd round, I'm signing up for that all day.
I got him at 3.08 in a superflex league and I am happy with that. His route running will need worked on. But in the third I’m taking potential over situation, and I think he has physical attributes to be considered high potential. 

Texans head coach David Culley said rookie WR Nico Collins is the "prototype wide receiver." 

Culley added that Collins, 22, is a "big, strong, 50-50 catch guy. Very tough kid." He's not wrong. Collins (6'4/215), a third round pick, turned down offers to Alabama, Georgia, and LSU to follow Jim Harbaugh to Michigan, recording only one career 100-yard game due to the team's horrendous quarterback play. He still managed 17.8 yards per catch at Michigan -- no easy feat. Collins impressed at his pro day, registering a 89th percentile speed score, a 77th percentile burst score, and a 94th percentile catch radius. The rookie could easily push his way to Houston's WR2 spot by the season opener, becoming a cheap source of targets for fantasy players. Collins would become far more enticing if Deshaun Watson avoids a lengthy suspension and suits up for Houston in 2021. That remains unlikely. 

SOURCE: Drew Dougherty on Twitter 

May 15, 2021, 3:12 PM ET

The Texans are counting on third-round WR Nico Collins to "make an impact" as a rookie.

Houston's passing game is in a rebuild after letting Will Fuller walk this offseason. Brandin Cooks is locked in as the No. 1 option, but targets are up for grabs behind Cooks. With Deshaun Watson likely to be suspended or traded, the Texans offense should be avoided regardless of how the depth chart plays out.

SOURCE: ESPN

May 23, 2021, 10:32 AM ET

I agree. This guy is on my radar as well. The Texans are looking for receivers to make an impact Year 1. The RB situation over there is trash. Should be a lot of passing in Houston this year, imo. Guy could be relevant.

The Athletic's Aaron Reiss said Texans rookie WR Nico Collins "should have a chance to see a lot of snaps early."

Reiss cited the lack of competition for snaps in Houston's receiver group. Outside of Brandin Cooks, there is no locked-in wideout starter in what could be the worst NFL offense in recent history. Houston head coach David Culley in May called Collins, 22, a "prototype receiver" and a "50-50 catch guy," implying the rookie will be used as a downfield threat. Collins, a third round pick by Houston, turned down offers to Alabama, Georgia, and LSU to follow Jim Harbaugh to Michigan, logging one career 100-yard game due to the team's horrific quarterback play. Collins impressed at his pro day, registering a 89th percentile speed score, a 77th percentile burst score, and a 94th percentile catch radius. He's one of the better late-round wide receiver dart throws in best ball formats. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 14, 2021, 10:38 AM ET

The Athletic's Aaron Reiss reported that Nico Collins has been the Texans most impressive rookie.

Given that the Texans had only two top-100 picks in this year's draft and spent one of them on third round quarterback Davis Mills, being Houston's "most impressive rookie" isn't a high bar to clear. Reiss' admits as much, noting that Collins' strong impression may be "due as much to a lack of surrounding talent as to his own skill." Then again, there is also an extremely low bar in earning outside wide receiver snaps in this offense. Collins has 4.45 speed at 6'4" 215 pounds, and had an average depth of target of 14.9 at Michigan. Given his big play potential and the number of routes available, Collins has upside to emerge as one of the better late round dart throws in best ball drafts this year.

Jul 31, 2021, 2:23 PM ET

A lot of glowing reports on him. 

I feel like this is an expansion team again. "I'm constantly thinking who is left there? Oh that guy." It's really odd.

If Nico becomes KJ, I won't be upset

The Athletic's Aaron Reiss said rookie WR Nico Collins has seen "plenty" of first-team reps in training camp. 

A barren Texans wide receiver room gives Collins -- a third round pick in the 2021 draft -- every chance to begin the season as a starter opposite Brandin Cooks. At 6'4", Collins could give Houston the kind of red zone threat they lacked in 2020. Collins impressed at his pro day, registering a 89th percentile speed score, a 77th percentile burst score, and a 94th percentile catch radius. He profiles as a big-play wideout who probably won't deliver anything resembling consistent fantasy production in Houston's dead-on-arrival offense. He's still worth a late-round flier in best ball leagues and deeper redraft formats. 

Aug 6, 2021, 8:19 AM ET

A lot of glowing reports on him. 

I feel like this is an expansion team again. "I'm constantly thinking who is left there? Oh that guy." It's really odd.

If Nico becomes KJ, I won't be upset
I have had my coffee but I don't get the reference here.

I got him in two of three rookie drafts, both times directly after Pat Freiermuth. :mellow:

Looking just at physical measureables as a WR (Collins was a analytics heartthrob), and draft capital, he's a no brainer where he's going. His ADP has a built in Texans Discount, because who the heck wants to add any Texans to their team? Their public image this spring is as bad as any team in a decade. 

Watson is maybe gone, but maybe Nico has Spencer Rattler next year? Things don't need to get really great to support one WR on a bad team. 

Anyone have decent dynasty startup ADP? I'll bet there's 20 guys in front of him I would drop below him....

Anyone have decent dynasty startup ADP? I'll bet there's 20 guys in front of him I would drop below him....
Dude I got him at 5.03 in my rookie draft and was absolutely ecstatic. Granted, this was back in May before a lot of the hype. I got Dyami at 4.07. Feeling pretty good about both of those. Edit: I was off by a round on Dyami. I got him at pick 3.08. 

Last edited by a moderator:
barackdhouse said:
I have had my coffee but I don't get the reference here.
Ohhhh that was the Browns expansion team. Couch to KJ, not the Texans

And the MFer still leaves the obscure KJ reference unsolved.

:rant:

Kevin Johnson 

Halloween 🎃 

WEEK 8

winless Browns 

winless Saints

Ricky Williams running for 179 yards

Hail Mary

coach Ditka face down on the sidelines of the Superdome

This Day in Browns History: new Cleveland Browns first victory

I don’t even like either team but that’s one of the greatest things ever. All of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a supplemental pick for the winner of the “loser bowl” (which I never liked as a prize) where they got pick 3.13

They took Nico.

I was at 4.04 waiting for him. 🥺

Not sure what to do redraft. 5th or 6th WR under the “they’ve got to throw to someone, right? Right?!” philosophy?  Can’t be more than a 12-15 rounder. 

Id be hesitant to pin my hopes and dreams on him as a 3rd or 4th WR. I suspect inconsistency will be the calling card of that offense. 

We had a supplemental pick for the winner of the “loser bowl” (which I never liked as a prize) where they got pick 3.13

They took Nico.

I was at 4.04 waiting for him. 🥺

Not sure what to do redraft. 5th or 6th WR under the “they’ve got to throw to someone, right? Right?!” philosophy?  Can’t be more than a 12-15 rounder. 

Id be hesitant to pin my hopes and dreams on him as a 3rd or 4th WR. I suspect inconsistency will be the calling card of that offense. 

Yeah I’m in an 18 rounder (x12) and at least rn that is where ARSB, Bateman, Collins, both Moores are all going.

Users who are viewing this thread