What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What type of FF owner are you? (1 Viewer)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
I don't know if it's my covid related agitation or not, but I feel like FF threads w insane amounts of overanalysis have me hot and bothered this yr more so than ever...

I always played FF for fun (and obv to win) but I also have the luxury of being in 2 leagues w friends who all know eachother from decades past and have run for many moons.

FF for me is an escape and meant to be fun. My objective is to draft players I want on my team and to trade for them, if possible, if I dont have them.

So - who are you? A passive, fun loving FF guy, a middle of the road guy who uses data + eye test, or a data digging "Ill get the edge thru supercomputer analysis" and not so much eye test guy?

Were you always that way or started at one spectrum and moved to the next? I'm interested (there's obv no right or wrong answers)

So - who are you? A passive, fun loving FF guy, a middle of the road guy who uses data + eye test, or a data digging "Ill get the edge thru supercomputer analysis" and not so much eye test guy?

Were you always that way or started at one spectrum and moved to the next? 
For me it's the bolded but active AF. I'm an over-analyzer by nature but for me that is part of the fun. I think I'm better than my leaguemates at the hobby and for me this thing has progressed over the years from a passionate hobby to a passionate hobby/something like a PT job to a passionate hobby/actual PT job to passionate hobby/PT career. I didn't necessarily have any vision of that happening but here I am.

I manage a lot of teams and expect to win (profit) consistently but I have found that the fun factor is through the roof on gamedays. I don't sweat "this player vs that player" and tend to watch the games (and mostly RedZone on Sundays) as a football fan instead of it all being FF centric. Even though that sounds counterintuitive. It isn't like I'm not aware of start/sit decisions that might still be looming as the day progresses but I'm not checking box scores and such. I just watch and play games with the kids and have fun. So IDK. It's not like being a Bears fan has been satisfying. I get a lot more enjoyment rooting for multiple players and teams. 

That isn't going to be for everyone and that is fine. Everyone should think of this as a hobby and approach it on whatever level they feel comfortable with. 

Of all my leagues, it is the redraft auction that I've been doing with my local buddies since the beginning that I care the most about winning each year. For the love of the game. If there is any boxscore I check like a hawk it's that one. 

I think two points are relevant here.

1) For some, the data digging super computer analysis is the fun part.

2) It's April and you're on a fantasy football forum, I would certainly think the people here now would trend towards the more serious aspect of things.

For me it's all a bit of both.  I enjoy the chill aspect of it, falling in love with a player because he's fun to root for and wanting him on my team just because, analytics be damned.  I also enjoy the analytics at times.

Likewise I have leagues that are chill.  Shooting the #### with friends and I don't really care how it all works out in the end.  And I have leagues with 5 figure payouts where yeah, I'd really like to win that damn thing.

middle of the road guy who uses data + eye test, or a data digging "Ill get the edge thru supercomputer analysis"
I’m a bit of both.  I’m my main league that I’ve been running since 1999, I’m super analytical with my own complex excel spreadsheets to compile data and create values (it’s an auction league). In my family league I wing it with no prep.  In the other 4-6 leagues I’m in every year it’s Draft Dominator.   

Used to be very active. Possibly the most active trader in most of my leagues. 

In the past few years I've become far less active, as my interest has waned. I still enjoy managing the teams and trying to be right about players. But far more a "buy and hold" type owner than a flipper. 

Fairly similar to investing. But with far less at stake. 

There's a balance between having fun, informed decision making, and paralysis by analysis that I try to thread. It isn't intentional, but I spend more time between January and July in engaged discussion because there aren't games being played and there is less content in the market. I then spend very little time on it during the season because there are actual games being played and the amount of content is over whelming.  Succinctly, now is the time of year to figure out who I want on my teams, so I can enjoy the season.

I can be a "trust my eye" guy with the NFL, because I see all the players involved.  I can use GamePass to quickly see every carry of any RB I want. I love GamePass.  

With my dynasty leagues (I do 4 IDP dynasty leagues, nothing else), I don't have that luxury with college players.   

If you have an opinion on Wilson vs Lance because you watched a bunch of BYU and NDSU games, you are more engaged than I am, and I am jealous of your knowledge.  Are you sure Gainwell is better than Pooka Williams because of all the Memphis and Kansas games you watched? WOW!!

Anyone who watched Minnesota AND Ole Miss that has a strong opinion on Elijah Moore vs Rashod Batemen, right on!  Impressive!

I wouldn't feel right pretending I am going to "watch the tape".  I am relying on the collective wisdom of others, and my friends at Just Bombs on YouTube.  :headbang:

Fantasy owners have been over-analyzing players forever. Now some of that analysis has included actual data.  

At some point, unless you are the impressive film geek I mentioned above, you are listening to a draftnik's opinion.  There is a new generation of guys that are crunching numbers.  A lot of what they say makes sense to me,  

Dismissing them for no reason, and pining for the olden days, really isn't gonna make me re-think my position.  

I always find myself asking this question to myself:  

Why is analytics making this guy angry?

Good question. Angry maybe isn't the right word... But it's some kind of emotion that is negative.

I feel like it's just sucked the fun from the game. and yet, on occasion, i still catch myself reading some of these analyses and likely subconciously using them. 

I like analytics, but the tone of some of the guys that preach them...whoa. Might want to back up on the snark and self-assuredness there.

As far as what type of fantasy football guy I am, I'm on these boards in March. That's ludicrous. Doesn't mean I know a lot. Or even a little. But being here during the dead times for this hobby and choosing to play formats that can require year-round attention means I have at least the intent of a serious hobbyist.

not much else to do though, and it's "outside" communication... i'm mostly on here for that, and then obv some rookie info
Yep. Same here. If there was nobody to shoot the breeze with about this stuff, I probably wouldn't do it. It couldn't possibly be that important. While I'm here, I might as well contribute the best I can, but it's really the connection with other people that makes it meaningful in any way. Plus, I dig football at the moment. Who knows how long that will last? Baseball used to be my sport. I can't watch more than an inning without getting bored these days.

I wouldn't feel right pretending I am going to "watch the tape".  I am relying on the collective wisdom of others, and my friends at Just Bombs on YouTube.  :headbang:

Fantasy owners have been over-analyzing players forever. Now some of that analysis has included actual data.  

At some point, unless you are the impressive film geek I mentioned above, you are listening to a draftnik's opinion.  There is a new generation of guys that are crunching numbers.  A lot of what they say makes sense to me,  

Dismissing them for no reason, and pining for the olden days, really isn't gonna make me re-think my position.  

I always find myself asking this question to myself:  

Lets not pretend like the old school film watchers/NFL scouts were so dang accurate in their evals. I play fantasy for fun, but it's more fun to win and be successful. If using data can improve my odds of winning, I am going to embrace it. And generally, it's not like the data base people are embracing random players. All of the players who are analytic darlings are embraced by many of the film watchers. It isn't an either/or but a both. I am looking for where both POVs align. 

I like analytics, but the tone of some of the guys that preach them...whoa. Might want to back up on the snark and self-assuredness there.
My favorite is JJ Zachariason. I wish all the fantasy analysts had his demeanor.  He has the only podcast I really try to not miss.  

The condescending tone is terrible, it's not how you gain new listeners, especially if they're older.  

My favorite is JJ Zachariason. I wish all the fantasy analysts had his demeanor.  He has the only podcast I really try to not miss.  

The condescending tone is terrible, it's not how you gain new listeners, especially if they're older.  
Yeah. I find myself agreeing with a lot of what certain guys say, but I often have to remind myself that they're young guys and prone to that sort of stuff. That makes it easier to be able to sift through their tone, but the tone is certainly an obstacle just from a sort of human perspective. It can be pretty self-righteous, and I've already seen snarky guys flip on players in the short time I've been following them. If you're not going to be consistent...be a little more understanding of others. 

Currently on Twitter, the football Twitterverse guys (especially guys at Rotounderworld) are making a big deal about some guy's historical running back comps to the current class. Some poor schlep at Fox. Yes, the comps were horrible. But it doesn't deserve that much scorn or abuse. Nor that tone, which you're right, might be a function of age. Never thought of that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question. Angry maybe isn't the right word... But it's some kind of emotion that is negative.

I feel like it's just sucked the fun from the game. and yet, on occasion, i still catch myself reading some of these analyses and likely subconciously using them. 
I buy into some of it. Some of it I think fails to recognize the so many moving parts within an NFL game - but it’s easy to ignore if you have no interest. Like anything it’s a tool to use how and if you want. I’m sure you watch enough football to figure things out on your own.

I buy into some of it. Some of it I think fails to recognize the so many moving parts within an NFL game - but it’s easy to ignore if you have no interest. Like anything it’s a tool to use how and if you want. I’m sure you watch enough football to figure things out on your own.
I think this really stems from the Devonte Smith and PItts threads.... Being TOLD why Smith is a high bust condidate and Pitts isnt worthy of the #1.

Yes, I get their points on size for Smith and "bust rate" of TEs etc... But numbers and stats dont account for WHO the player is. A stud is a stud. THere's no measureable for "ability to be coached, attitude, desire" etc... 

I get it, measurables can tell us a pretty convincing story... But they dont tell every story. And we have 2 massive prospects getting doodoo'd on somewhat for no real reason, imo, aside from "the past"

You wanna talk about guys with great content and un-listenable podcasts.........
Yeah, it was those guys who I had in mind when I was talking about the self-assuredness and snark, I just didn't really want to name them by name and single them out. Plenty of weird stuff that goes along with this hobby. Watched a motivational speaker last night because it was posted on some guy's football feed. It was utterly bizarre. I watched because it was such a train wreck. Borderline delusional in terms of weirdness. It was about achieving things in life, with fantasy football as a backdrop. Truly just cringeworthy.

Weird hobby, I guess.

I think this really stems from the Devonte Smith and PItts threads.... Being TOLD why Smith is a high bust condidate and Pitts isnt worthy of the #1.
I think those are the two guys that everybody is confused about, so people are looking for anything to make their decision clearer. Whether you take them or not depends on so many things, and the stats only help to clarify things. But I think anybody who uses stats wisely knows their propensity for not perfectly hitting the mark at times. Outliers are outliers.

Yes, I get their points on size for Smith and "bust rate" of TEs etc... But numbers and stats dont account for WHO the player is. A stud is a stud. THere's no measureable for "ability to be coached, attitude, desire" etc... 

I get it, measurables can tell us a pretty convincing story... But they dont tell every story. And we have 2 massive prospects getting doodoo'd on somewhat for no real reason, imo, aside from "the past"
To be fair, as much as I like Smith, you have to have some concerns about his weight. When something is so rare, there’s likely a reason for it. With that said where I have an opportunity to take him I probably will.

I come from a hard science background where the integrity of the statistical analyses are nearly equal in importance to how those data were collected and by what method(s). There is a giant chasm that separates the world of science from the world of journalism in terms of communicating these ideas, results, methodologies, between each other and of course towards the public in the form of articles and content. The typical person is being fed absolute garbage analyses by people who themselves don't understand the message they were given before they sensationalized it for headlines and clicks and such. 

Statistics are *widely* manipulated and perverted, sometimes wittingly, but often not, to suggest truths that are dubious at best. There are usually false assumptions about the system dynamics being discussed. And those dynamics may or may not be very well understood by anyone. 

And that is directly applicable in FF. But there *is* some really good work being done out there and for me I am a harvester and filter of the stuff that I think has merit. I don't mean to poo poo on certain analytic approaches, but some of it is really garbage IMO, and other stuff is quite good. But everyone in that world will pound their chest and say something like "the numbers don't lie", which is a line that makes my blood boil. 

When I watched Moneyball I remember thinking that the jerk head of scouting that got fired had some really good points. There *was* a lot of wisdom in that room and IMO it can be married with the best analytic approaches. I think it is in that area that the best balance between analytics and instinct/film perspective can be found. It shouldn't be one vs the other.

At this time of year the tendency is to deep dive into every individual player coming out and into every little rookie draft scenario. And for good reasons. But there is a very real risk that bigger picture parameters could be ignored as a result. Is rookie fever getting a hold of you? 

I know I'm going on and on but does the time of our respective rookie drafts have a role in the tendency to overthink or not? In many, many leagues, the rookie drafts are less than two weeks away. If I wasn't doing a rookie draft until July or August maybe I'd be more tuned out right now.

When I watched Moneyball I remember thinking that the jerk head of scouting that got fired had some really good points. There *was* a lot of wisdom in that room and IMO it can be married with the best analytic approaches. I think it is in that area that the best balance between analytics and instinct/film perspective can be found. It shouldn't be one vs the other.
I agree and this is a great example. I remember the Moneyball debates and I was one of the earlier adopters of rudimentary baseball sabermetrics when I used to follow baseball, but I had problems with its more out-there claims. I think a mixture of both the eye test and statistical analysis yields better results. Now, that eye test may get enhanced through sport science technology and the improvements of what we measure with the eyes or empirically (I'm especially thinking of tracking outfielders and the trajectory of baseballs once hit), but at heart it's still an eye test, so to speak. So I think a combo of those is really the best way to go about it.

Wisdom is the sum of all the reasons we no longer go back to first causes or first thoughts, and sometimes that's a good thing. Nobody re-invents the wheel and there's no need to. We all know that if you get a few of them and put an attached plank and handle on them, you can move stuff easier than by carrying it. Wisdom is inherited and passed down, a product of those empirical senses whereby what can't be quantified is given standing, or those instances where reason fails because we can't see the first impetus for something being the way it is. The sensations and perceptions that lead to what we know as wisdom, especially wisdom about sports, prevent us from having to reinvent the aforementioned wheel every time there is a task at hand.

Edmund Burke and his theory about societal wisdom is instructive in this regard, and is something that I've always found fascinating in terms of governance, and it applies here, too. Burke basically says what I was trying to say in the last paragraph. That our laws come about as a product of trial-and-error and the results of many different ways of organizing and doing things within primitive societies. Laws, as much as reason instructs them, do not always come from perfect reasons that logically flow from a premise, but from an imperfect cobbling together of results and trial-and-error that has worked over time. It is not quantifiable, nor perfectly reasoned, but we know it works and secures the best for us.

The drawback to that line of thinking is that it doesn't allow perfectly for when to go back to first principles and how we should know when to deconstruct faulty wisdom. How do we know something is not flawed in the first place if we're stuck into tradition? Just because something is there from trial-and-error doesn't mean it is optimal. That is where pure reason comes in at times. So...you know...

Anyway, I'm rambling too. Just find this stuff interesting.

Facts don't have feelings, but it also takes more nuanced thinking to anticipate those that break the mold. Those that heavily rely on data models may have greater success rates, but their forecasts are incapable of identifying these types. 

I think those are the two guys that everybody is confused about, so people are looking for anything to make their decision clearer. Whether you take them or not depends on so many things, and the stats only help to clarify things. But I think anybody who uses stats wisely knows their propensity for not perfectly hitting the mark at times. Outliers are outliers.
Semantics, but I think it's much less confusion and much more the average person just wants to be told what to think. 

Outliers are outliers
This is the key.  Too many hype players get labeled as outliers because of their 40 or hand size, it mutes the real outliers.  I’m sold on Pitts being a true outlier, not so yet on Smith (but I will admit his size is playing a roll I just can’t get past). 

Semantics, but I think it's much less confusion and much more the average person just wants to be told what to think. 
I get that semantics, as used here, is just an expression saying "I basically agree with you but for a different reason than you've given," but I don't think we're merely hung up on "semantics" in the true sense of the word. I think my reason and yours are two entirely different ways of looking at something. So, I don't know if I'm as pessimistic as you are. I think that people, when faced with tough decisions, defer to experts in the field or they defer to the seeming certainty of cold, hard figures because they're looking to ease their minds about the decision they're forced to make. As far as being receptive to being told what to think, America has long had a reputation for not abiding experts and has rejected the stultifying certainty of probability. The average American was certainly never considered as deferential to authority as you're describing. It's in our egalitarian founding that one man's opinion is as good as any other man's. Our impulses were once considered to have that democratic, egalitarian temperament to them. These days, I'm not so sure you're not right.

Now, that eye test may get enhanced through sport science technology and the improvements of what we measure with the eyes or empirically - yes, and perhaps dramatically

Wisdom is inherited and passed down, a product of those empirical senses whereby what can't be quantified is given standing, or those instances where reason fails because we can't see the first impetus for something being the way it is. - yes, and although it is appropriate to press pause in an academic model or in a laboratory, in order to reevaluate, collect more info, to be more thorough, when there are news deadlines or other real life concerns, flags have to be planted and decisions have to be made. And even if they are deeply flawed decisions they still feed into that trial and error process you spoke of. So even the worst of decisions serve to improve the best practices in the long run. Because collective widsom increases. 

.........do not always come from perfect reasons that logically flow from a premise, but from an imperfect cobbling together of results and trial-and-error that has worked over time. It is not quantifiable, nor perfectly reasoned, but we know it works and secures the best for us. Absolutely, but it *can* be quantifiable in certain systems and instances. Probably not law. But many of us could point to our winnings over time. Certain NFL clubs might point to their success(es). Other analysts might point out how certain clubs suck year after year because of these things. The connections would be dubious but there are certainly attempts to quantify them. I have almost 20 years of consistent profitable poker and FF winnings to point to. Is it because I'm luckier than my opponents? *That* would be a dubious claim as well. 

how we should know when to deconstruct faulty wisdom. How do we know something is not flawed in the first place if we're stuck into tradition? Just because something is there from trial-and-error doesn't mean it is optimal. That is where pure reason comes in at times. Pure reason *must* be reached for when trying to counter this process of faulty wisdom, but it can happen as a happy accident from the trial and error process as well. I would start with the inheritance part of the wisdom equation. It can degrade over time and is based less and less on current trial and error and empiricism and more and more on stubborn tradition. But how do we know when? What signs are we looking for? I think economists would say that in this FF system, the market will decide there is a shortcoming somewhere. Perhaps someone like us comes along and zigs when others are zagging and finds areas to exploit. Maybe a hardcore analytics person makes some new discovery that blows everyone's doors off. I personally feel like I have a strong instinct for spotting BS and that I understand the system I'm working within better than my opponents (on average). And that's what this is. A game I'm trying to win. For money. So of course I'm looking for any edge I can get, and that can come from any number of areas that aren't limited to player scouting. And to be clear I think many of you are much better at some of this stuff than I am and that there is plenty of wisdom to be gained from these forums and from other owners. I have said before I don't think I would be the FF GM that I am without people on this board with varying perspectives and knowledge. There *is* collective wisdom up in here. 

Anyway, I'm rambling too. Just find this stuff interesting. I find it fascinating and it is part of the fun for me. But I should probably take a long walk on the beach until the draft. 

I think this is what bothers people about some of these folks. It bothers me too. I hate it when someone is mansplaining something to me like I am a child and they are teaching me something wrong. Even if they are right the attitude and delivery makes me say GTFO!

I have sort of given up on the misuse or the term arbitrage for example but it seems to be gaining traction with the talking heads in the community. I think thats not smart.

I'm terrified that you're right. I would never take part in this hobby if it were true for me, though. FF is the antithesis of that ideal.
I don't think the average person wants to be told what to think, but I do believe FF players get scared and revert back to group think.

I think this is what bothers people about some of these folks. It bothers me too. I hate it when someone is mansplaining something to me like I am a child and they are teaching me something wrong. Even if they are right the attitude and delivery makes me say GTFO!

I have sort of given up on the misuse or the term arbitrage for example but it seems to be gaining traction with the talking heads in the community. I think thats not smart.
I think I saw you the other day having a discussion with a member about this. I didn't really understand because even though I picked up my C in Financial Economics in college, I still am unsure as to how it works or how it would translate to fantasy football. At first blush, they should mean that you're treating all your leagues like a portfolio, only you're buying and selling Player A in different leagues depending on where each league values Player A differently, best I can make of it.

JJ is great because he always approaches things humbly and is clear about how much he doesn't know and these are all educated guesses. However, the show can be a bit dry when he is solo. Like someone reading an article. He needs Denny or someone else to keep things a little looser IMO. Advice is first rate, seems like a good guy but as a show it's not always that entertaining.

Yeah. I find myself agreeing with a lot of what certain guys say, but I often have to remind myself that they're young guys and prone to that sort of stuff. That makes it easier to be able to sift through their tone, but the tone is certainly an obstacle just from a sort of human perspective. It can be pretty self-righteous, and I've already seen snarky guys flip on players in the short time I've been following them. If you're not going to be consistent...be a little more understanding of others. 

Currently on Twitter, the football Twitterverse guys (especially guys at Rotounderworld) are making a big deal about some guy's historical running back comps to the current class. Some poor schlep at Fox. Yes, the comps were horrible. But it doesn't deserve that much scorn or abuse. Nor that tone, which you're right, might be a function of age. Never thought of that. 
Fantasy is competitive, everyone is looking for attention. Snark is effective. 

You wanna talk about guys with great content and un-listenable podcasts.........
Easily one of my favorites because it is entertaining. I want information but I also want to be entertained. They have good info, interesting opinions, are well educated/read and try to be entertaining. It is obnoxious but it's just part of the bit.  Many podcasts are really dull. Sig's show is another I like because it is smart and entertaining. 

I get that semantics, as used here, is just an expression saying "I basically agree with you but for a different reason than you've given," but I don't think we're merely hung up on "semantics" in the true sense of the word. I think my reason and yours are two entirely different ways of looking at something. So, I don't know if I'm as pessimistic as you are. I think that people, when faced with tough decisions, defer to experts in the field or they defer to the seeming certainty of cold, hard figures because they're looking to ease their minds about the decision they're forced to make. As far as being receptive to being told what to think, America has long had a reputation for not abiding experts and has rejected the stultifying certainty of probability. The average American was certainly never considered as deferential to authority as you're describing. It's in our egalitarian founding that one man's opinion is as good as any other man's. Our impulses were once considered to have that democratic, egalitarian temperament to them. These days, I'm not so sure you're not right.
I could babble on for hundreds and thousands of words about this subject, but probably better for all to just link to this. You're more informed about history than I and what you wrote makes sense so you're probably right, but we are in a different age. Our access to information changed dramatically over the last couple decades and as a result our society is now full of hazards.

Fantasy is competitive, everyone is looking for attention. Snark is effective. 

Easily one of my favorites because it is entertaining. I want information but I also want to be entertained. They have good info, interesting opinions, are well educated/read and try to be entertaining. It is obnoxious but it's just part of the bit.  Many podcasts are really dull. Sig's show is another I like because it is smart and entertaining. 
Hmmm...I think this is a great case of different strokes and YMMV here. I've already seen Rotounderworld flip their opinions on guys, namely Corey Davis, and I'd expect a little more humility when you're doing that. That's my personal preference.

I can't listen to their podcasts. Thankfully they condense them on Twitter. Love their work and opinions, and I think they mean well, but they could deal without the sort of gimmicky snark that can seem mean or conclusory at times.

I think I saw you the other day having a discussion with a member about this. I didn't really understand because even though I picked up my C in Financial Economics in college, I still am unsure as to how it works or how it would translate to fantasy football. At first blush, they should mean that you're treating all your leagues like a portfolio, only you're buying and selling Player A in different leagues depending on where each league values Player A differently, best I can make of it.
They are using to say Player A and Player B are of equal or near equal value. However Player A has a 4th round ADP and Player B has an 8th ground ADP so why take Player A when you can get Player B so much cheaper. Instead of 2 markets, it uses 2 assets. Not sure if there is a better econ term for that. I'm far from an expert in econ. 

I could babble on for hundreds and thousands of words about this subject, but probably better for all to just link to this. You're more informed about history than I and what you wrote makes sense so you're probably right, but we are in a different age. Our access to information changed dramatically over the last couple decades and as a result our society is now full of hazards.
Very familiar with that effect. It was something I learned a while back. That often people aren't only incompetent, they're so incompetent they don't realize how incompetent they are. Yep. Seen that in the workplace. That's how I can feel about myself and fantasy football. Maybe just dangerous enough to #### it up.

I love the "I know nothing" phase. Always something to strive for, in my estimation. Almost all of the time, it's good to remind one's self of that. Love that graph, and the "hazard" is exactly where I've found I personally get into trouble in all walks of life. For me, it's especially law with established lawyers and fantasy football. I think going to school and passing the bar should have been good enough and playing for a while should suffice. It's often not.

Nice post. Enjoyed the reminders.

There's money to be made acting like that.  

JJ Zach will never replace Screamin' A Smith, but the Podfather might.  I understand why, just not for me.  

JJ is great because he always approaches things humbly and is clear about how much he doesn't know and these are all educated guesses. However, the show can be a bit dry when he is solo. Like someone reading an article. He needs Denny or someone else to keep things a little looser IMO. Advice is first rate, seems like a good guy but as a show it's not always that entertaining.
He's also in and out with his weekly podcasts in 15 minutes.  Here's the info, this is my data, have a nice day.  The other boys spend 90 minutes doing their schtick.  Neither better or worse, as you said, it comes down to expectations.  

Anyone else notice the analytics guys focus on Superflex?  Obviously the RotoUnderworld guys do, but others as well, it seems.  

Hmmm...I think this is a great case of different strokes and YMMV here. I've already seen Rotounderworld flip their opinions on guys, namely Corey Davis, and I'd expect a little more humility when you're doing that. That's my personal preference.

I can't listen to their podcasts. Thankfully they condense them on Twitter. Love their work and opinions, and I think they mean well, but they could deal without the sort of gimmicky snark that can seem mean or conclusory at times.
Oh yeah they flip on players, everyone does. I actually don't think there is anything wrong with that. I certainly have changed my opinion N'Keal Harry since he was drafted. He puts out a show every year that's like 90 minutes of all the embarrassingly wrong takes he had. He's more open to acknowledging how wrong he is. The whole show is a bit. 

Oh yeah they flip on players, everyone does. I actually don't think there is anything wrong with that. I certainly have changed my opinion N'Keal Harry since he was drafted. He puts out a show every year that's like 90 minutes of all the embarrassingly wrong takes he had. He's more open to acknowledging how wrong he is. The whole show is a bit. 
Got it. Good to know. That's big of him to do that.

Yes that is what they are saying however that isnt what arbitrage is.

Arbitrage is buying an asset in one market then selling it for a profit in another market. This is not something that people can do in FF. If I could buy player X in league A and then sell player X in league B that would be arbitrage. What people actually can do in FF is not that.

There's money to be made acting like that.  

JJ Zach will never replace Screamin' A Smith, but the Podfather might.  I understand why, just not for me.  

He's also in and out with his weekly podcasts in 15 minutes.  Here's the info, this is my data, have a nice day.  The other boys spend 90 minutes doing their schtick.  Neither better or worse, as you said, it comes down to expectations.  

Anyone else notice the analytics guys focus on Superflex?  Obviously the RotoUnderworld guys do, but others as well, it seems.  
I appreciate the brevity of JJ's show. That was smart by him to find a little niche that others weren't doing. As for superflex, it's for sure being pushed and I support that. It's silly that the most important position in all of sports is one of the least valued positions in fantasy football. 

Very familiar with that effect. It was something I learned a while back. That often people aren't only incompetent, they're so incompetent they don't realize how incompetent they are. Yep. Seen that in the workplace. That's how I can feel about myself and fantasy football. Maybe just dangerous enough to #### it up.

I love the "I know nothing" phase. Always something to strive for, in my estimation. Almost all of the time, it's good to remind one's self of that. Love that graph, and the "hazard" is exactly where I've found I personally get into trouble in all walks of life. For me, it's especially law with established lawyers and fantasy football. I think going to school and passing the bar should have been good enough and playing for a while should suffice. It's often not.

Nice post. Enjoyed the reminders.
From a high level I don't think there is anything wrong with the hazard stage...so long as one progresses beyond it back to the I know nothing stage. If that's who we are then someone like JJ would be a star and Screamin A not, but unfortunately that is clearly not our reality. 

I appreciate the brevity of JJ's show. That was smart by him to find a little niche that others weren't doing. As for superflex, it's for sure being pushed and I support that. It's silly that the most important position in all of sports is one of the least valued positions in fantasy football. 
I don't think fantasy football has to mimic the NFL and I don't think one position should dominate over another.  In my mind, fantasy football should strive to make QB, RB, WR, TE be competitive equally, or something close to that.  Perhaps not exactly, but competitive.  

I didn't notice but it is certainly an exploding format over the last couple years. IMO there is a lack of decent SF analysis out there. 

Users who are viewing this thread