What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Liz Cheney “History is watching us.” (1 Viewer)

I think you have this backwards. The rest of the GOP votes to acquit because they thought it was in their best interests to further their careers. Today showed that
Odd to not see it this way

I'm sure she is getting a lot of death threats now and she is probably going to lose the election so she put her career on the line and potentially her life taking this stand

You're right, I was being a bit glib, but as far as I can tell the opposition is less to her positions per se and more to her relentless focus on Trump and Jan. 6. 

Remove Trump from the equation, and do a hypothetical of Murkowski, who was against Kavanaugh.  She made clear she was against him, but did not spend the next few months going on talk shows speaking about how shameful it was that the Reps approved him.  Once you start doing that, rightly or wrongly, you are playing with fire.
Except she didn’t do this either. 

Cheney was silent about Trump after the impeachment vote. It was only when Trump started pushing the false narrative again, attacking her and everyone else who voted to impeach him, and started pushing for the Arizona recount and other shenanigans- that’s when she responded after receiving questions about it from the media. 

This is all about Trump targeting Cheney, not the other way around. And it’s about Republicans being embarrassed by her response because they know she’s telling the truth. But she didn’t press the issue; that’s simply false. 

Some good comments after the fact.  I think she is gearing up to be a real thorn in their side.

If a new party forms and only siphons off 10% of the conservative vote that means the R's lose everything

You're right, I was being a bit glib, but as far as I can tell the opposition is less to her positions per se and more to her relentless focus on Trump and Jan. 6. 

Remove Trump from the equation, and do a hypothetical of Murkowski, who was against Kavanaugh.  She made clear she was against him, but did not spend the next few months going on talk shows speaking about how shameful it was that the Reps approved him.  Once you start doing that, rightly or wrongly, you are playing with fire.
All true, unless your party is the one that stands for personal freedoms and is marketing themselves as the anti-cancel culture party, then you’re just hypocrites.  

Last edited by a moderator:
There was definately shenanigans with all the mail in balots and the swing stayes conveniently shutting down counting on election night only to have huge Biden votes come suddenly in the wee hours of the morning.  Not sure I would use the word stolen but if the election was under normal circumstances I think Trump wins.  I would bet my life savings that Biden did not receive 81 million legitimate votes.
I kid you not this was House Majority leader McCarthy after meeing with President Biden today on infastructure.

"I don't think anybody is questioning the legitiamncy of the Presiential election. I think that is all over with. We are sitting with the President today"

(That is except for Gilroy and 70% of Republicans who believe Trump won)

I remember this seeming like a pipe dream just a couple months ago, then this comes out yesterday.  No idea where this is going to go, but I know one thing for certain.  The weekly Trump parade we have here in my town on Fridays is going to get larger as things get more divided.  

This is a thing? Good gosh. 
Yeah...I'll take pictures for you guys if you want.  Right now, the new merch is flowing.  Lots of Trump 2024 flags now AND Trump Jr 2024 flags....so I think they're still working out the kinks in messaging and trying to align better with Qanon...not quite there yet.

Except she didn’t do this either. 

Cheney was silent about Trump after the impeachment vote. It was only when Trump started pushing the false narrative again, attacking her and everyone else who voted to impeach him, and started pushing for the Arizona recount and other shenanigans- that’s when she responded after receiving questions about it from the media. 

This is all about Trump targeting Cheney, not the other way around. And it’s about Republicans being embarrassed by her response because they know she’s telling the truth. But she didn’t press the issue; that’s simply false. 
Not sure how you can say this so definitively.  :shrug:  From this CNN article from 4/30:

Another GOP lawmaker told CNN that the frustration is even more palpable this time.

"It's real and much more widespread than before and completely of her own making," the lawmaker said. "At this point, it has zero to do with her vote and everything to do with her words and actions."

In February, Cheney overwhelmingly kept her leadership position in a secret ballot vote 145-61 -- but GOP sources on the Hill tell CNN there is irritation and a lack of patience that she continues to so publicly attack members in the party and keeps going head-to-head with McCarthy
I'm bowing out after this because I meant it when I said I thought this was much ado about nothing, but GOP members are quoted as saying it is not about her vote but about her subsequent action.  Could they be lying because they are embarrassed?  Sure, although we don't really have any proof of that.

My point from the beginning was that there are three groups here, two of which their reaction to this tells us nothing about the truth:

1. Strong Dems and anti-Trumpers : We know they will take Cheney's side, as if her views prevail, both major parties will be firmly anti-Trump, so they win on an issue they care about
  2. Strong Reps and Trumpers : They will be anti-Cheney for the same basic reasons, either because they want Trump in the party or they want Trump voters in the party
  3. The Middle, swing voters, Trump/Biden voters, etc. : This will come down to how reasonable they view Cheney as being vs. her party.  If they see it as Cheney putting one toe out of line and getting drummed out of the party, they will take her side.  If they see her as fanning the flames of an intraparty dispute and handing Dems an election issue, they will not take her side.  

Yeah...I'll take pictures for you guys if you want.  Right now, the new merch is flowing.  Lots of Trump 2024 flags now AND Trump Jr 2024 flags....so I think they're still working out the kinks in messaging and trying to align better with Qanon...not quite there yet.
Doesn't surprise me.  I'm in a liberal area and there are houses that are still totally decked out in Trump signs/flags.  Having political signs is fairly common, but I don't know that I've ever seen them in garden beds 6 months after the election until Trump..... and the degree to which these people display their Trump fandom is weird.

Not sure how you can say this so definitively.  :shrug:  From this CNN article from 4/30:

I'm bowing out after this because I meant it when I said I thought this was much ado about nothing, but GOP members are quoted as saying it is not about her vote but about her subsequent action.  Could they be lying because they are embarrassed?  Sure, although we don't really have any proof of that.

My point from the beginning was that there are three groups here, two of which their reaction to this tells us nothing about the truth:

1. Strong Dems and anti-Trumpers : We know they will take Cheney's side, as if her views prevail, both major parties will be firmly anti-Trump, so they win on an issue they care about
  2. Strong Reps and Trumpers : They will be anti-Cheney for the same basic reasons, either because they want Trump in the party or they want Trump voters in the party
  3. The Middle, swing voters, Trump/Biden voters, etc. : This will come down to how reasonable they view Cheney as being vs. her party.  If they see it as Cheney putting one toe out of line and getting drummed out of the party, they will take her side.  If they see her as fanning the flames of an intraparty dispute and handing Dems an election issue, they will not take her side.  
Yes, they are lying (probably to themselves as well) because they are embarrassed. Their explanation makes no sense. 

I just listened to some Georgia congressman explain his vote to get rid of Cheney. As best I can remember word for word: 

“She called what happened January 6 an insurrection. It was not an insurrection, it was a peaceful gathering with protestors taking photographs in a peaceful fashion, no different from tourists on any other day. Nothing of consequence happened on January 6, just completely made up by the media.” 

This is where we are. Andrew somebody from Georgia. 

I just listened to some Georgia congressman explain his vote to get rid of Cheney. As best I can remember word for word: 

“She called what happened January 6 an insurrection. It was not an insurrection, it was a peaceful gathering with protestors taking photographs in a peaceful fashion, no different from tourists on any other day. Nothing of consequence happened on January 6, just completely made up by the media.” 

This is where we are. Andrew somebody from Georgia. 
Do you disagree with his take?

or maybe they voted to acquit because there was nothing about it to impeach.
Mitch held up the vote, so even though he thought Trump was guilty of causing people to attack the Capitol and that his election claims are all BS, it was too late to impeach him.

Lesson: Just wait to the end of your term and do what ever you want.

The 'Rationals' want the Republican Party to return to "principled" leadership and reject division and conspiracy theories.

Damn, that sounds awesome.
We (the group you are describing) are be marginalized and dwindling by the day .

Actually @Gilroy34’s post, strange as it sounds, is a step up from the congressman I quoted, who apparently doesn’t even believe that there were any lunatics who jumped the wall. “Completely peaceful, no different from a guided tour.” 
Sure.  But as scary as it sounds I've come to expect that from these vapid empty suits in congress.  I'm actually more disappointed in the opinions of strangers on the internet then I am those in politics.  Yes that's how far its fallen for me.

Actually @Gilroy34’s post, strange as it sounds, is a step up from the congressman I quoted, who apparently doesn’t even believe that there were any lunatics who jumped the wall. “Completely peaceful, no different from a guided tour.” 
It's true.    I took a couple of those tours pre-Covid and we were absolutely allowed to smear poop in the hallways, take lecterns, smash windows and attack capitol police.  It was awesome.

Can you illustrate the violent protests for me?
If that's your analysis of what happened that day after all this time I won't waste 1 sec typing trying to change your opinion.  It's a fruitless exercise.  IMO it just shows how far we've tumbled down the rabbit hole that there are people like yourself that actually believe that.   

Have a good day GB.  

It's true.    I took a couple of those tours pre-Covid and we were absolutely allowed to smear poop in the hallways, take lecterns, smash windows and attack capitol police.  It was awesome.
Did you have to pay extra for all of that or did it come with the regular price of admission?  Looking for a family summer trip and this sounds amazing!

Yes, peaceful protest sums it up very well as there was no firearm attacks on any police and the only death was an unarmed protester getting shot.
I appreciate you saying that with a straight face but in no way was that a peaceful protest. The minute they pushed their way into the building, it moved away from a peaceful protest. 

Did you have to pay extra for all of that or did it come with the regular price of admission?  Looking for a family summer trip and this sounds amazing!
It was the normal guided tour.   You could pay $50 if you wanted to put your feet on Pelosi's desk but I didn't think it justified the extra cost.

Did you not see windows smashed and the capitol police being attacked? 
Valid point here.  I guess I would consider it a violent protest if they would have attacked officers or people in their way.  

Edit to add no I did not see police being attacked

If that's your analysis of what happened that day after all this time I won't waste 1 sec typing trying to change your opinion.  It's a fruitless exercise.  IMO it just shows how far we've tumbled down the rabbit hole that there are people like yourself that actually believe that.   

Have a good day GB.  
Not trying to change your opinion either GB.  Just trying to illustrate it wasn't an insurrection as the media is portraying it.

Users who are viewing this thread