What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kicked out of the office for having a cold (1 Viewer)

I would absolutely judge anybody staying home from work over a cold. lol. Please.
In the past, absolutely people would judge people who stay home because of a cold.  Hopefully that changes, especially if we can work from home. 

There was a concern that people would call in sick when they weren't. That still exists, and it probably should when that work needs to be done by someone else. But in an office when there isn't a REAL need to get that task done that day, or if it can be done remotely, people should be more willing to call in and stay home.

Not saying it hasn't happened, I just don't recall seeing it.
🤷🏾‍♂️ It's not like you can watch it in real time, as the virus tackles the next person. But I've definitely seen it happen where one day Bob isn't feeling great, a few days later Brenda isn't feeling great, etc. It's hard to see it unless you're looking for it.

I get where AJ is coming from. School and work environments have always been set up where you're punished if you have to miss days. Most places have it in place that you're expected to come in unless you're feverish- from schools (NYC doe) to jobs.

So while we've learned some better methods during the pandemic about being safe and being able to work from home, I think you're off base calling people selfish for having previously done what's expected of them.
Re: the bolded, maybe employers and society as a whole will start to realize that it's ok to take a day off, especially if you're not feeling well. It's definitely tough in some jobs (eg teachers), but few of us are so important that our jobs can't be put on pause a day. 

I was looking at it from a pre-pandemic, no remote working context.
Fair enough. In that context I can see where somebody would have thought it was over the top to stay home with a cold. But, IMO, hopefully that attitude changes. My kids bring home colds all the time from daycare, and I've definitely seen colds spread through the whole office, so I would consider a change in our collective attitudes about working while sick to be a good thing. 

I would absolutely judge anybody staying home from work over a cold. lol. Please.
I think might be something that changes more or less permanently thanks to the pandemic.  I've worked at my current place of employment for 22 years, and I've used a grand total of 3 sick days.  I regularly go to work with head colds and chest colds -- basically anything that doesn't involve my stomach or GI system.  I don't think I'll be doing that any more -- WFH is certainly viable, but failing that there's very little reason not to dip into my ocean of accrued sick leave.

It's going to be weird the next time I have a bad cold.  I know I'll be irrationally worried that it's covid-19.  The fact that I can see this coming clear as day won't change things.

Last edited by a moderator:
trogg78 said:
I never understood why people came to the office with a cold. Even pre-COVID it seemed really thoughtless.

McBokonon said:
I was going to be less harsh but yeah, COVID or no COVID stay home if you have a cold (if possible, I know there’s many workers with jobs that don’t provide sick time, or are dependent on tips, etc. which Commies like me are working to fix.)
Because we were taught growing up that you went to work unless you were running a fever, or leaking from the top end or bottom end.  You did not stay home for a cold, you sucked it up and went to work.  Raising a bunch of wimps these days.

Because we were taught growing up that you went to work unless you were running a fever, or leaking from the top end or bottom end.  You did not stay home for a cold, you sucked it up and went to work.  Raising a bunch of wimps these days.
Hey boomer, It doesn’t have anything to do with “sucking it up.” I think most of us can work through a cold. It has to do with not bringing it into the office for others to catch, if able. I’m sure this was never possible in your day when everyone was digging coal and working the cotton gin, but a lot of people can work remotely now.

-OZ- said:
🤷🏾‍♂️ It's not like you can watch it in real time, as the virus tackles the next person. But I've definitely seen it happen where one day Bob isn't feeling great, a few days later Brenda isn't feeling great, etc. It's hard to see it unless you're looking for it.
Saw it every year in the group that sat next to mine at work. The same woman would come in sick several times a year hacking up a lung, sniffling, etc. Within a week the entire division would be out sick.

And yet our office director always leans heavily on people to always come into the office. It’s self-defeating I’m so many ways.

This happened to me back in November, along with two co-workers.  Another co-worker was home for two weeks after testing positive with COVID, so when three of us all had the sniffles, we were all sent home for the day and had to get the test and work from home (if we were up to it) until we got the negative test back.  I spent the rest of the day (sent home around 11 am) trying to find a place to get the test and then got it, worked from home the next day, and by the following morning, I had gotten the negative test back, was feeling mostly fine and was back in the office.  Good times. 

Stay at home Archie Bunker. 

El Floppo said:
I woke up yesterday with a runny nose. Bad week of allergies for me, which usually leads into post nasal drip and an asthmatic reactive (dry) cough. I take a daily inhaler for the cough, and Allegra for the allergies. Took some Mucinex for the extra runniness of the cold.

I feel fine. Just a tiny cold, with some sniffling, blowing nose and a cough every now and then (a few per hour). Could even be just the allergies. Normal stuff....normally.

I work in a small open office with a half dozen other people. Office manager just ordered me to leave...kind of angrily. When I said it felt like just a typical cold, her reply is that I can't know. Didn't want me "risking their lives".

I get that these are unusual times. I get that we need to operate with an abundance of caution. 

Or maybe I don't.

Left, and just got a rapid covid test... Which this second just came back as negative.

I guess this is the new normal for a while. 
Probably the new normal period, especially if you are capable of working from home.  No reason to "tough it out" and come into an office when you or someone in your household has a cold or is sick.  This will help with flu and cold (coronavirus) season too.

We still do daily surveys before going in to the office.  If you have potential symptoms, you can't go in.  I'd expect this protocol until at least mid October for my job.  

What about asking people to put on a mask for source control when they have a cold, and have to come in/don’t want to stay home? I think this pandemic has changed a lot of attitudes about staying home with lighter viruses, but not for all, and some jobs just aren’t situated for much time off. I was just curious about attitudes towards something like that.

I work for myself at home, so I can’t kick out the sick people in my office. :)

i think the best thing you can do in this environment if you have a cold is not go to work and move to a remote mountain cabin take that to the bank bromigos 

i think the best thing you can do in this environment if you have a cold is not go to work and move to a remote mountain cabin take that to the bank bromigos 
Got you covered there you can take that to the lake house brochacho

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
So having severe allergies might be a big win finally!!!! Everyone will think I have a cold and I shouldn't be in the office!!

how are the lounges/bars/cafes looking in your 'hood?  i've been mostly hitting Midtown & Brooklyn/Queens/Eyeluhnd since getting back out - lost a ton of clients down your way 😒
It's hopping.

I don't remember if the curfew is lifted or not, but the neighborhood is starting to feel back to doorway puking, 1am drunk screaming fights normal.

But there are still a bunch of spots that went under leaving graffiti covered storefronts.

This seems like a bad employer.  Do they let their full time workers (not freelance) do any work at home?
Yes.

It's a trust thing. And they're cheap. They actually have commented on my lunch and bathroom breaks. I've never thought about cheating a company over my time and will usually err on the side of absorbing a loss when it comes to 15-30 minutes here or there. I've never had my hours questioned or every minute so micromanaged...and it's hard not to find it insulting tbh.

They asked me to go to a job site in RI over night. But they only wanted to pay me for the time I was actually "working"- taking field measurements and surveying the existing house we are renovating- nothing for the 9 hours driving or spending the night away from my family. So like 6-8 hours over a 48 period. They were shocked that I should ask and get paid at least a daily rate for each day I was away from home...aka- at work. 

I can't even explain what the freak out was about yesterday- so mindbottlingly stupid and unprofessional...and it's something different every day. And the work isn't even that interesting or good. But I've got mouths to feed and a roof to keep over our heads, so I just suck it all up. But speaking of sucking...it ####### sucks. Can't wait to gtfo.

It's hopping.

I don't remember if the curfew is lifted or not, but the neighborhood is starting to feel back to doorway puking, 1am drunk screaming fights normal.

But there are still a bunch of spots that went under leaving graffiti covered storefronts.
Once had sex on a stoop across the street from Tonic. (more like 3am)

Yes.

It's a trust thing. And they're cheap. They actually have commented on my lunch and bathroom breaks. I've never thought about cheating a company over my time and will usually err on the side of absorbing a loss when it comes to 15-30 minutes here or there. I've never had my hours questioned or every minute so micromanaged...and it's hard not to find it insulting tbh.

They asked me to go to a job site in RI over night. But they only wanted to pay me for the time I was actually "working"- taking field measurements and surveying the existing house we are renovating- nothing for the 9 hours driving or spending the night away from my family. So like 6-8 hours over a 48 period. They were shocked that I should ask and get paid at least a daily rate for each day I was away from home...aka- at work. 

I can't even explain what the freak out was about yesterday- so mindbottlingly stupid and unprofessional...and it's something different every day. And the work isn't even that interesting or good. But I've got mouths to feed and a roof to keep over our heads, so I just suck it all up. But speaking of sucking...it ####### sucks. Can't wait to gtfo.
That's some BS.  You're not 22 years old, fresh out of school, puking in doorways at night.  Are you 1099 or W-2?

If 1099, you should consider making sure that's the right classification for you...  If you know what I mean. #notalawyer

That's some BS.  You're not 22 years old, fresh out of school, puking in doorways at night.  Are you 1099 or W-2?

If 1099, you should consider making sure that's the right classification for you...  If you know what I mean. #notalawyer
I run everything through my business.

What are you thinking though?

There are 

I'm no employment lawyer, but it sure sounds like you should look hard at your classification.  See here: http://www.flexprofessionalsllc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/1099-vs-W2-Checklist.pdf  Check out that 20 point checklist.
Yeah... I'm stupidly stupid about a lot of this, considering it's my business. My wife, who's been an independent contractor a long time, set me up and guides me through it- I trust her research and understanding of it.

The way I understand it- because I run everything though my corporation, it's different. I've never received even a 1099 from employers. W2 was always strictly when I was an employee w benefits. Makes it more flexible for me in terms of taxes.

Or I've been doing it wrong all these years.

Yeah... I'm stupidly stupid about a lot of this, considering it's my business. My wife, who's been an independent contractor a long time, set me up and guides me through it- I trust her research and understanding of it.

The way I understand it- because I run everything though my corporation, it's different. I've never received even a 1099 from employers. W2 was always strictly when I was an employee w benefits. Makes it more flexible for me in terms of taxes.

Or I've been doing it wrong all these years.
Maybe @bigbottom can shed some insight on what the paying company can demand in terms of on-site work, billing demands, etc. and whether you should really be classified as a W2 employee. 

Completely disagree. If nothing else good comes from the pandemic, maybe people will learn to stay home when sick. It's not that a cold is so bad you can't work through it, but nobody else wants to get it. It's pretty selfish to go to work when you have any communicable disease, particularly if you can work from home or can afford to take the day off. 
What world does this guy live in? :lmao:

That might be true, but maybe you could extract some concessions out of the client.  I mean, they suck, so does it really matter if they give a you a bad reference?
This is a small interior design studio. Max concessions available are taking home outdated textile samples and hopefully getting all my paychecks (they're behind). 

Users who are viewing this thread