What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The INFLATION Thread, aka “The Putin Price Hike” (3 Viewers)

Stoneworker said:
Count me in the non-transitory camp.

One of the biggest deflationary drivers over the past three decades has been globalization. Find the single cheapest supplier overseas and take advantage of constantly falling shipping costs.

In response to all the Covid disruptions, supply chains are now being reconfigured in every single industry. Diversify and increase number of supply sources for resiliency. Pay a little more to source key components locally. Many of those changes will stick.

Globalization went too far and couldn't handle a Black Swan event. Now reversal trends are in motion which will have a permanent impact on cost structures. Everywhere.
This sounds right, in theory.  In practice, I wonder if companies will (eventually) fall right back into "let's cut costs and do it for less" mode in order to increase their competitive advantage.

Some good stuff in here!

Should also add that to me "transitory" doesn't mean prices fall back to prior levels.  Just that inflation expectations remain in check and aren't priced into every wage or purchase contract on a ~permanent basis like the 1970s.  Inflation doesn't become self-perpetuating.

Agree that the real test is post-COVID when the dust shakes out and whatever the new normal is emerges.
I think the larger event that's going to determine a lot of this is the realization that people were working in jobs that paid #### and really didn't do anything to further their lifestyle.  I suspect that's going to be a rather large factor as businesses have to pony up the extra money to make it worth the while of their employees.  The band aid of illusion has been ripped off.  

Some good stuff in here!

Should also add that to me "transitory" doesn't mean prices fall back to prior levels.  Just that inflation expectations remain in check and aren't priced into every wage or purchase contract on a ~permanent basis like the 1970s.  Inflation doesn't become self-perpetuating.
If that's the case (and I expect it to be), then the new normal with particular respect to durable goods - cars, houses, appliances, etc. is going to take a big, big bite out of budgets.

This sounds right, in theory.  In practice, I wonder if companies will (eventually) fall right back into "let's cut costs and do it for less" mode in order to increase their competitive advantage.
I think they will where they can.  I'm not sure they'll be able to in large measure.

Dog food I get my dogs up 4 bucks in one week. That hurts got a 120 lb Bloodhound a Frenchie and 2 Shi Tzus. They may have to quit the eating habit.

Oil +80%

Corn +69%

Steel +145%

Wheat +25%

Coffee +34%

Cotton +35%

Copper +50%

Lumber +126%

Soybeans +71%

Home Values +8%

Close to 80% now have at least one shot. How many truck drivers do you figure are in the remaining 20%?
Aren't truck drivers in the demographic most hesitant? So my guess would be a good amount.  Even losing a small % is going to hurt. 

I suspect the more immediate reason is front-line workers being underpaid for decades, thus keeping prices artificially low, and those workers have finally now started to stop taking work at such low rates.

Interesting theory, with companies starved for employees it would seem that the sparse numbers that have returned would then have to present a considerable impact.

I suspect the more immediate reason is front-line workers being underpaid for decades, thus keeping prices artificially low, and those workers have finally now started to stop taking work at such low rates.

I could quit my job as a lawyer with all the free money I've been getting from the government (yes hyperbole).  I get $475 a month for pre-payment of child tax credit (If only I had more eligible kids).  $300 a month for reimbursement for driving my kids to school.  $375 every few months in food stamps for some City of Philadelphia lunch program (I have no idea what it is, they sent me a card with money on it and keep refilling it).  If I was getting the max in PA UC $575 a week, that's equivalent to around $50K a year salary for doing nothing.  Eventually, those programs will stop, and then those people who sat at home living off the government will be scrambling for work.  

You'll need to explain to me what you mean by artificially low.  From an economics viewpoint, the artificial part is the government intervention which is creating labor shortages, resulting in further supply chain issues, and inflation.

I could quit my job as a lawyer with all the free money I've been getting from the government (yes hyperbole).  I get $475 a month for pre-payment of child tax credit (If only I had more eligible kids).  $300 a month for reimbursement for driving my kids to school.  $375 every few months in food stamps for some City of Philadelphia lunch program (I have no idea what it is, they sent me a card with money on it and keep refilling it).  If I was getting the max in PA UC $575 a week, that's equivalent to around $50K a year salary for doing nothing.  Eventually, those programs will stop, and then those people who sat at home living off the government will be scrambling for work.  
We are trying to get the damn child tax credit payments to stop.  Has anyone here tried that?  My business was a loser last year due to covid but it won't be this year.  We can't get them to stop the checks.  I had to go through some kind of ID process and provide my driver's license and image along with a facial image they require on my phone.  They still send them to my wife who is a teacher and refuse to quit without her getting on a video call with them during the workday which as a teacher she can't.  We can't even turn down the government money it's so bad.

We are trying to get the damn child tax credit payments to stop.  Has anyone here tried that?  My business was a loser last year due to covid but it won't be this year.  We can't get them to stop the checks.  I had to go through some kind of ID process and provide my driver's license and image along with a facial image they require on my phone.  They still send them to my wife who is a teacher and refuse to quit without her getting on a video call with them during the workday which as a teacher she can't.  We can't even turn down the government money it's so bad.
May I ask why?

Regardless, you should be able to go here and take care of it.

I tried to turn my off as well, but ran into the same issues. I was never able to get to a page where I could. 

I'm supposed to be getting them, but shockingly I haven't received anything yet.

I also haven't received my tax return which I filed in April. Why? Because I claimed I never received my final stimulus. The IRS sent a letter saying I was correct and they would add that to my refund, but I should expect it to add another 6 weeks processing time. Then I got a letter adding another 6 weeks. 

I'm probably on a watchlist now or something. 

May I ask why?

Regardless, you should be able to go here and take care of it.
Yep, that's where I began my journey.  It is every bit of that.  The IRS has basically subbed out a 3rd party company to ID you if you try to cease the payments and they don't make it easy. 

As to the why, we will be phased out in 2021 but they are using 2020 income of which other than rental and passive investments I had none.  Either way I'd prefer not to take it and have to pay it back, but they aren't even using direct deposit.  They are sending monthly physical checks that we are having to deposit because they are going to expect the money back that we don't want them to send in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to turn my off as well, but ran into the same issues. I was never able to get to a page where I could. 

I'm supposed to be getting them, but shockingly I haven't received anything yet.

I also haven't received my tax return which I filed in April. Why? Because I claimed I never received my final stimulus. The IRS sent a letter saying I was correct and they would add that to my refund, but I should expect it to add another 6 weeks processing time. Then I got a letter adding another 6 weeks. 

I'm probably on a watchlist now or something. 
Oh yeah, brother...They are watching you.  You're gonna get a letter soon saying they are auditing...JK>  

You'll need to explain to me what you mean by artificially low.  From an economics viewpoint, the artificial part is the government intervention which is creating labor shortages, resulting in further supply chain issues, and inflation.
Real wages are historically low, in terms of adjusted dollars.  If real wages had kept up over the past 50+ years, prices would be higher.  Now that employers are having to pay wages more in line with historical norms, prices are catching up.

Real wages are historically low, in terms of adjusted dollars.  If real wages had kept up over the past 50+ years, prices would be higher.  Now that employers are having to pay wages more in line with historical norms, prices are catching up.
I understand, but I don't see anything artificial that caused it.  I'm afraid we are all about to find that inflation is going to outpace the wage growth piece, leading to less purchasing power.  It's inevitable when we are flooding the market with more dollars alongside encouraging a decrease in productivity.  

I understand, but I don't see anything artificial that caused it.  I'm afraid we are all about to find that inflation is going to outpace the wage growth piece, leading to less purchasing power.  It's inevitable when we are flooding the market with more dollars alongside encouraging a decrease in productivity.  
It's already showing.  Joe Biden said we made progress today with a happy face.  Touted that wages grew 4%.  I guess nobody told him Inflation grew 5.3%.  We are already losing ground but Nobody told Joe. 

If you'd prefer the phrase historically low instead of artificially low, I'm fine with that.

If you'd prefer the phrase historically low instead of artificially low, I'm fine with that.
I don't know that the terminology matters.  I do have a different opinion of the result.  I don't think real wages are likely to rise once we factor in inflation.  The rising cost of entry level/lower level wages is only a part of what's driving the inflation so I'm afraid when the dust settles the real wages of people will be less.

Yep, that's where I began my journey.  It is every bit of that.  The IRS has basically subbed out a 3rd party company to ID you if you try to cease the payments and they don't make it easy. 

As to the why, we will be phased out in 2021 but they are using 2020 income of which other than rental and passive investments I had none.  Either way I'd prefer not to take it and have to pay it back, but they aren't even using direct deposit.  They are sending monthly physical checks that we are having to deposit because they are going to expect the money back that we don't want them to send in the first place.
I'd throw it in a temporary investment account and make SOMETHING on it then just give it back when they ask.  My neighbor pointed me to that page and said that's how he did it.  Had no issues.  Not sure what the difference is/was.  Hope you can figure it out GB.

2020 was certainly a big problem in this scenario.  I guess the good news (if there is one) is we basically took 20ish billion bucks out of the economy in Sept when stimulus was stopped.  It's going to take through the holidays to fully realize that impact for sure, which sucks, but hopefully that helps.  We won't be fully "right" until supply chains get opened up and the economy resets with the new realization that businesses who have been suppressing wages for 15-20 years can't get away with it now.  

I don't know that the terminology matters.  I do have a different opinion of the result.  I don't think real wages are likely to rise once we factor in inflation.  The rising cost of entry level/lower level wages is only a part of what's driving the inflation so I'm afraid when the dust settles the real wages of people will be less.
Entirely possible.  My original point was that I think the most immediate cause of current inflation has more to do with wages rising to what should have been historical norms than the fed printing money.  Printing money without regard for the debt/deficit or a budget has happened for decades, while rising wages are a recent phenomenon.

Entirely possible.  My original point was that I think the most immediate cause of current inflation has more to do with wages rising to what should have been historical norms than the fed printing money.  Printing money without regard for the debt/deficit or a budget has happened for decades, while rising wages are a recent phenomenon.
I believe it has more to do with the commodity super cycle we're currently in combined with the government paying folks to stay home.

I believe it has more to do with the commodity super cycle we're currently in combined with the government paying folks to stay home.
We printed almost 25% of our money currently in circulation in 2020. Weve taken out of circulation around 20B all at once in Sept (stopped paying people in sept)  

I cant help but think commodities arent real high on our problem list

Social Security adjustment for 2022 - 5.9%.  That's the largest in 40 years.  Given that this calculation is as conservative as the feds can make it we can be assured the real inflation rate is substantially higher.

Good thing this inflation thing has been sitting at temporary for a while now.

Social Security adjustment for 2022 - 5.9%.  That's the largest in 40 years.  Given that this calculation is as conservative as the feds can make it we can be assured the real inflation rate is substantially higher.

Good thing this inflation thing has been sitting at temporary for a while now.
Saw that number come across. Scary stuff

YoY increases:

Ground beef: + 10.6 percent.

Steaks: +22.1 percent.

Bacon: +19.3 percent.

Pork roasts, ribs, steaks: +19.2 percent.

Chickens: +17.1 percent.

Fresh fish: +10.7 percent.

Eggs: +12.6 percent.

Peanut Butter: +6.2 percent.

Apples: + 7.8 percent.

Ham: +7 percent.

Baby food: +4.4 percent.

ETA: Wholesale prices up 8.6%.

Last edited by a moderator:
100% biden's & the Ds fault. We can hope they get swept out of office in 2022. This administration will go down as the worst in US history. Wat to go voting for this disaster into office. WTF were you thinking?
Put up a better candidate.  Do you think 81M people voted for Joe, or do you think 81M people voted against Trump.

I personally hope neither of them run next election.

Users who are viewing this thread