What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Remember when, around a year ago, a lot of people complained that this forum skewed left? (2 Viewers)

I strongly disagree with you, obviously. I’m a big believer in nuance. 

But there are certain issues in which there is no nuance, and that’s where the denier claim is apt. The election of 2020 for example. If anyone thinks that Trump won, they’re just wrong. There’s no argument, no nuance, no legitimate alternative point of view. They’re a denier. Same with climate change, the theory of evolution, a few other things. 

As I expressed to @jon_mx I don’t use this term lightly. I would never use it on any issue like white privilege, for example, despite @supermike80 once again lying about me and claiming I did. Issues of race and culture are usually far too nuanced and complicated to throw such terms around and I don’t. But on clear issues of science and fact, it’s right to use and it should be used. 
You throw terms around race all the damn time.  I mean a black guy couldn't pee at Starbucks because he didn't order anything and you screamed racist for a month.  No details.  No nuance.  No anything.  It was automatically racist because it happened to a black dude.

There is significant debate about climate change, for instance.  But I am NOT having that discussion with you.  Not happening.  
Exactly.  It's pointless when he starts the conversation with this is what I think, I'm 100% right, and you're a denier if you think anything otherwise.  These kinds of posters are only here to push their beliefs on others.  Not worth engaging for 1 second.

Exactly.  It's pointless when he starts the conversation with this is what I think, I'm 100% right, and you're a denier if you think anything otherwise.  These kinds of posters are only here to push their beliefs on others.  Not worth engaging for 1 second.
CNN has decided climate change will be the next item they will try to influence.  So guess what you will see a lot more of here in the next few months?  

I mean just reading Tim's posts solidifies my point.  Utterly unwilling to listen to anything anyone says that challenges white privilege. 
This post is just another lie; you seem to love misrepresenting me, so much so that I now believe it’s deliberate. 

White privilege is a very complicated, nuanced issue. I certainly believe it exists, but to what extent I’m not sure, and it’s often hard to define. In addition I have no earthly idea what to do about it; I’m not especially in love with most of the ideas being floated around by progressives these days. 

If you think the above is a dogmatic point of view then I have no idea what to tell you. 

This post is just another lie; you seem to love misrepresenting me, so much so that I now believe it’s deliberate. 

White privilege is a very complicated, nuanced issue. I certainly believe it exists, but to what extent I’m not sure, and it’s often hard to define. In addition I have no earthly idea what to do about it; I’m not especially in love with most of the ideas being floated around by progressives these days. 

If you think the above is a dogmatic point of view then I have no idea what to tell you. 
Dude..You again and again dismissed posts from others documenting their issues.  My post isn't a lie, its a summary of what you did.  SO in that case, yes it is deliberate.  When you do that, you get called out on it.  Deal with it.  You represent everything we are saying is wrong with those that don't agree with your point of view.  Dismiss them, call them names..etc.  It's horrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is significant debate about climate change, for instance.  But I am NOT having that discussion with you.  Not happening.  
Climate change exists. The speed at which it’s happening is debatable. What actions we as a society should take in response to it is HiGHLY debatable, and personally I’m very unsure about this. As with racial issues, I tend to be skeptical of leftist solutions. 

If you deny climate change is happening, you are a climate change denier. The rest of it is open to legitimate discussion. 

Nuance can be hard.  Definitive statements can also be hard, yet in many cases, entirely appropriate.

Answer these questions:

* Flat-earthers are 100% incorrect.  True or false?
* The 2020 was legitimate.  True or false?
* Some posters on this site deny that the 2020 election was legitimate.  True or false?
* Anthropomorphic climate change is real.  True or false?
* Some posters on this site deny that anthropomorphic climate change is real.  True or false?

Edit to add: pretending that certain "opinions" are valid and indulging them is equally as damaging as ignoring nuance when it exists.
Scientific theories never change.  True of false?

Dude..You again and again dismissed posts from others documenting their issues.  My post isn't a lie, its a summary of what you did.  SO in that case, yes it is deliberate.  When you do that, you get called out on it.  Deal with it.  You represent everything we are saying is wrong with those that don't agree with your point of view.  Dismiss them, call them names..etc.  It's horrible.
What I wrote is that if you’re going to argue against white privilege, then IMO personal anecdotes of struggle from a white person is not compelling. That’s not meant to be insulting; just my opinion. 

What I wrote is that if you’re going to argue against white privilege, then IMO personal anecdotes of struggle from a white person is not compelling. That’s not meant to be insulting; just my opinion. 
Dismissing someone's personal stories is what's insulting--and how you did it was doubly so.  We get it.  Only your opinions are correct.  Period.  So if you don't mind, can you just maybe stay out for a bit? Maybe let the people who actually respect other's opinions talk for a while?  I think we all know where you stand.

Dismissing someone's personal stories is what's insulting--and how you did it was doubly so.  We get it.  Only your opinions are correct.  Period.  So if you don't mind, can you just maybe stay out for a bit? Maybe let the people who actually respect other's opinions talk for a while?  I think we all know where you stand.
There’s a couple of people (not very many) that I dislike in these forums, but I don’t think I’ve ever addressed any of them as rudely as you have here. 
If you find my posts so offensive then the moderators have provided you a solution for that problem. Otherwise perhaps you should take your own advice. 

There’s a couple of people (not very many) that I dislike in these forums, but I don’t think I’ve ever addressed any of them as rudely as you have here. 
If you find my posts so offensive then the moderators have provided you a solution for that problem. Otherwise perhaps you should take your own advice. 
I apologize your feelings were hurt and I will move on now.  It hurts when someone dismisses you in kind so quickly doesn't it?  Think about that.

Tim, stick with easy stuff - racism is bad, Nazis are bad.  Gravity deniers are wrong, etc.

You undermine your own arguments when you throw in stuff like this.  There is plenty of nuance in these subjects.  There are thousands of published papers on these issues recently.
There’s tons of nuance about climate change as I’ve expressed- just not about that it’s happening and that it’s bad. I’m not aware of any recent challenges to evolution. 

I strongly disagree with you, obviously. I’m a big believer in nuance. 

But there are certain issues in which there is no nuance, and that’s where the denier claim is apt. The election of 2020 for example. If anyone thinks that Trump won, they’re just wrong. There’s no argument, no nuance, no legitimate alternative point of view. They’re a denier. Same with climate change, the theory of evolution, a few other things. 

As I expressed to @jon_mx I don’t use this term lightly. I would never use it on any issue like white privilege, for example, despite @supermike80 once again lying about me and claiming I did. Issues of race and culture are usually far too nuanced and complicated to throw such terms around and I don’t. But on clear issues of science and fact, it’s right to use and it should be used. 
I don't see any nuance that the media is bias, but yet you argue that all the time.  :shrug:

Your whole elitist viewpoint that some ideas are not debatable I find absolutely detestable.  There are dozens of topics that you have convinced yourself that any deviance from is just wrong and unworthy of discussion.  There still are legitimate concerns about how accountable our voting system is.  IMHO, I should get a copy of how my vote was registered and I should be able to check that my vote was actually counted accurately.  Until we have that level of accountability there is no way for certain to accurately reconcile the vote.  Let's say if someone produced thousands of test ballots in Georgia and submitted them in these unmanned ballot boxes, what system is in place to catch that?  Sure you can recount those ballots over and over again, but that does not catch fraud.  We place a lot of trust in our election workers, and the systems we have in place do not ensure that only one vote is cast by legal voters and that the individual vote was recorded and counted correctly.  Until we get to that point, there is going to be disputes in the election results.   And there is nothing wrong with that.

I LITERALLY responded to @Rich Conway post describing the nuance he was missing yet all I got were crickets.  And then he goes on to repeat the same dogmatic rhetoric in subsequent posts after mine.  

Here: https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/796715-remember-when-around-a-year-ago-a-lot-of-people-complained-that-this-forum-skewed-left/?do=findComment&comment=23407448

There’s tons of nuance about climate change as I’ve expressed- just not about that it’s happening and that it’s bad. I’m not aware of any recent challenges to evolution. 
It would be best when you approach items like climate change to be more precise - you're talking anthropomorphic climate change.  Climate change, in and of itself, has been happening for roughly 3 billion years on this rock.

As far as evolution there has been plenty of publications recently over human origins.  Very nuanced, very complex findings.

I don't see any nuance that the media is bias, but yet you argue that all the time.  :shrug:

Your whole elitist viewpoint that some ideas are not debatable I find absolutely detestable.  There are dozens of topics that you have convinced yourself that any deviance from is just wrong and unworthy of discussion.  There still are legitimate concerns about how accountable our voting system is.  IMHO, I should get a copy of how my vote was registered and I should be able to check that my vote was actually counted accurately.  Until we have that level of accountability there is no way for certain to accurately reconcile the vote.  Let's say if someone produced thousands of test ballots in Georgia and submitted them in these unmanned ballot boxes, what system is in place to catch that?  Sure you can recount those ballots over and over again, but that does not catch fraud.  We place a lot of trust in our election workers, and the systems we have in place do not ensure that only one vote is cast by legal voters and that the individual vote was recorded and counted correctly.  Until we get to that point, there is going to be disputes in the election results.   And there is nothing wrong with that.
First off I’m going to dismiss your opening statement as some kind of sarcasm. If you truly believe that there is no nuance to the statement “the media is biased” then I have no idea what to tell you. But I don’t think you believe that. 

Second, there aren’t “dozens of topics” that I consider settled. There are only a few. The election of 2020 is one of them. Your scenario doesn’t change that because (a) there wasn’t any significant voter fraud and (b) it was a national election. 

And you’re also wrong when you claim I find anything unworthy of discussion. I’m happy to discuss the 2020 election and argue why it’s a settled issue. But in that discussion I’m going to use the term “denier” to describe anyone who thinks Trump won. Not because it’s lazy, not because I’m not nuanced or rudely dismissive, but because no other term would be accurate. 

Climate change exists. The speed at which it’s happening is debatable. What actions we as a society should take in response to it is HiGHLY debatable, and personally I’m very unsure about this. As with racial issues, I tend to be skeptical of leftist solutions. 

If you deny climate change is happening, you are a climate change denier. The rest of it is open to legitimate discussion. 
AGAIN!  NO ONE IS DENYING CLIMATE CHANGE EXISTS!

That is what you guys keep pushing - there is plenty of debate of the causes and how fast it may be happening but NO ONE IS DENYING CLIMATE CHANGE EXISTS!

So when you use term "climate change denier" you are indeed mischaracterizing the issue to shut down conversation.

Between you and @Rich Conway I'm not sure how much clearer we can be.  It's like you're purposefully being obtuse.  I'm not sure how much clearer we can be for you to understand.  :shrug:

AGAIN!  NO ONE IS DENYING CLIMATE CHANGE EXISTS!

That is what you guys keep pushing - there is plenty of debate of the causes and how fast it may be happening but NO ONE IS DENYING CLIMATE CHANGE EXISTS!

So when you use term "climate change denier" you are indeed mischaracterizing the issue to shut down conversation.

Between you and @Rich Conway I'm not sure how much clearer we can be.  It's like you're purposefully being obtuse.  I'm not sure how much clearer we can be for you to understand.  :shrug:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/grist.org/politics/poll-the-partisan-gap-on-climate-change-is-widening/amp/
82% of Democrats believe that the effects of global warming have already begun. 
29% of Republicans believe that the effects of global warming have already begun. 

I hold that the latter is a form of denial. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/grist.org/politics/poll-the-partisan-gap-on-climate-change-is-widening/amp/
82% of Democrats believe that the effects of global warming have already begun. 
29% of Republicans believe that the effects of global warming have already begun. 

I hold that the latter is a form of denial. 
:bs: , Tim.  And you know it.  Even polls have all kinds of nuance you're not looking at.  But polls are not my point.

As @Sand pointed out earlier, climate change has been happening since Earth was created.  No one is denying that.

When you use "climate change denier", not only are you saying "they're as bad as Nazi's", you're also saying "they don't believe in climate change".

That's ridiculous, absurd and totally mischaracterizing the other sides argument.  Totally and unequivocally.  You're being disingenuous purposefully and we're asking you to stop and see the nuance.

Stop being dogmatic in your approach.

First off I’m going to dismiss your opening statement as some kind of sarcasm. If you truly believe that there is no nuance to the statement “the media is biased” then I have no idea what to tell you. But I don’t think you believe that. 

Second, there aren’t “dozens of topics” that I consider settled. There are only a few. The election of 2020 is one of them. Your scenario doesn’t change that because (a) there wasn’t any significant voter fraud and (b) it was a national election. 

And you’re also wrong when you claim I find anything unworthy of discussion. I’m happy to discuss the 2020 election and argue why it’s a settled issue. But in that discussion I’m going to use the term “denier” to describe anyone who thinks Trump won. Not because it’s lazy, not because I’m not nuanced or rudely dismissive, but because no other term would be accurate. 
I find it odd that the left understands the historical connotations to a lot of terms and wants their usage banned, but some are perfectly OK with using terms which are meant to associate people with holocaust deniers.  There are a lot of people on the left who refuse to go there, and many that do use the term readily admit the connotation of the term and think it is appropriate.

That’s not meant to be insulting; just my opinion. 
Just a side note that I find interesting. I've seen this a couple of times lately.

It doesn't matter if you meant it to be insulting.

It's the equal to "I'm sorry you were offended". 

Also, this is me doing the talking about other posters thing which has no value and I'd much rather us all not do. :bag:  

:bs: , Tim.  And you know it.  Even polls have all kinds of nuance you're not looking at.  But polls are not my point.

As @Sand pointed out earlier, climate change has been happening since Earth was created.  No one is denying that.

When you use "climate change denier", not only are you saying "they're as bad as Nazi's", you're also saying "they don't believe in climate change".

That's ridiculous, absurd and totally mischaracterizing the other sides argument.  Totally and unequivocally.  You're being disingenuous purposefully and we're asking you to stop and see the nuance.

Stop being dogmatic in your approach.
1. I suppose I need to clarify that I’m speaking of man-made climate change that has become an emergency in recent years due to mankind’s use of carbon based fuel. If you don’t believe this is happening then yes I say you are a denier. 

2. Please stop with the Nazi analogies. I don’t use them and I find them very offensive. I don’t regard you, or anyone reading this, as a Nazi. I don’t think I’ve ever encountered a Nazi (except once at a gun show.) 

1. I suppose I need to clarify that I’m speaking of man-made climate change that has become an emergency in recent years due to mankind’s use of carbon based fuel. If you don’t believe this is happening then yes I say you are a denier. 

2. Please stop with the Nazi analogies. I don’t use them and I find them very offensive. I don’t regard you, or anyone reading this, as a Nazi. I don’t think I’ve ever encountered a Nazi (except once at a gun show.) 
You are the one continuously using the Nazi analogy with your denier shtick.  

Just a side note that I find interesting. I've seen this a couple of times lately.

It doesn't matter if you meant it to be insulting.

It's the equal to "I'm sorry you were offended". 

Also, this is me doing the talking about other posters which I'd much rather us all not do. :bag:  
I think it does matter. I think intent matters a great deal. 
For example, I just asked @BladeRunnerto stop using Nazi analogies because I find them offensive. I’m not upset with him because I don’t think he mean to be offensive. But if he does it again in response to me then I will know that it’s his intent to be offensive. 

When you use the term "denier" in political speak, you are implicitly referring to the opposition as "Nazi's" whether you believe it or not.  

Like we've been telling you, it's a term weaponized by the left (like "RACIST!", "HOMOPHOBE!", etc...) to shut down conversation.  In political speak, "denier" is without a doubt rooted in Holocaust deniers.

When you use the term "denier" in political speak, you are implicitly referring to the opposition as "Nazi's" whether you believe it or not.  

Like we've been telling you, it's a term weaponized by the left (like "RACIST!", "HOMOPHOBE!", etc...) to shut down conversation.  In political speak, "denier" is without a doubt rooted in Holocaust deniers.
I don’t agree with you. 

For example, I just asked @BladeRunnerto stop using Nazi analogies because I find them offensive. I’m not upset with him because I don’t think he mean to be offensive. But if he does it again in response to me then I will know that it’s his intent to be offensive. 
I'm trying to get you to understand that your use - and that of your party's use - of the word "denier" is absolutely rooted in Nazi terminology.

As well read as Tim is, it is unbelievable that he is really this oblivious to what he is doing.

I don’t agree with you. 
Of course you don't.  :doh:

I'll just repurpose your previous post:

"For example, I just asked @timschochet stop using "denier" terms because I find them offensive. I’m not upset with him because I don’t think he mean to be offensive. But if he does it again in response to me then I will know that it’s his intent to be offensive. "

Yet when someone tells you the terms you use are offensive, you disagree, call them the truth and keep using them.  I don't know if you're tone deaf, you're trolling, or you simply mash the keyboard so much you don't read anything but this post couldn't be anymore ridiculous.  You think you get to set the definition of everything for everyone on these forums.  I know it's one of the reasons I have almost zero respect for what you post.

I think I’ll call you a timschochet obsessor, rather creepily so IMO. There’s a few people who seem to love following me around from thread to thread. You’ve taken it to a whole new level. 
You're in every damn thread all day long spreading your BS.  I have no idea why Joe lets you turn this into your own personal forum about yourself.   

As well read as Tim is, it is unbelievable that he is really this oblivious to what he is doing.
I’m not oblivious to your argument, I just don’t agree with it. In fact I find it ridiculous. By attempting to claim that anyone who uses the term “denier” is actually calling someone a Nazi, all you’re doing effectively is dismissing the accuracy of the label and shutting off all further discussion- EXACTLY what you claim the other side is doing. 

When I use the term denier I am not calling anyone a Nazi. Full stop. I am not attempting to cut off discussion. Full stop. 

You're in every damn thread all day long spreading your BS.  I have no idea why Joe lets you turn this into your own personal forum about yourself.   
LOL perhaps you should urge him to ban me. Except you won’t because you’re obsessed. 

I disagree as well.  However, in the interest of harmony, I'd be happy to use another term, as long as it's accurate.

"Skeptic" isn't accurate, as it implies there is legit debate.  We could go with "rejectionist".
I’m fine with “rejectionist”. But I doubt it will make any difference. I’m convinced that, despite their protests, it’s the substance of what we’re saying, and not the terminology, that bothers them. 

I’m not oblivious to your argument, I just don’t agree with it. In fact I find it ridiculous. By attempting to claim that anyone who uses the term “denier” is actually calling someone a Nazi, all you’re doing effectively is dismissing the accuracy of the label and shutting off all further discussion- EXACTLY what you claim the other side is doing. 

When I use the term denier I am not calling anyone a Nazi. Full stop. I am not attempting to cut off discussion. Full stop. 
Tim gets to dictate what his terms mean.  Full Stop.  Tim gets to dictate what Jon's terms mean.  Full Stop.  Tim gets to dictate what everyone means.  FULL STOP!!!!   Full Stop I said!

Climate change is so basic its like the sun rising.     Man caused is not basic.

Boston Globe columnist Ellen Goodman wrote: "Let's just say that global warming deniers are now on a par with Holocaust deniers . . . "

The epithet “climate denier,” intended to invoke Holocaust denial, has always been tasteless and inapt. 

So you get to decide which Nazi rhetoric is OK?  I can link you hundreds of sources on this topic (I already linked to several above).   The term denier is absolutely intended to equate people to holocaust deniers.  

Users who are viewing this thread