What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 (now 2021) Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Closing ceremonies 8/8 | USA finishes with most gold, silver, bronze AND overall medals (1 Viewer)

I kinda like the 3 on 3. A little silly, but I like the frenetic pace. Wish the men would have asked some lower-tier NBA guys to give this a shot 

I kinda like the 3 on 3. A little silly, but I like the frenetic pace. Wish the men would have asked some lower-tier NBA guys to give this a shot 
Don't mind the 3 on 3, or maybe it's the idea behind it I like.  The non-stoppage is welcome, I'll say that much.

Because I happen to think the enormous players nowadays have outsized the court and rim, the game lends itself to some better formats I suppose.  I mean who watches the first 3 quarters of NBA basketball anyway?  And the hour those last 5 minutes take isn't much better.

Do I need to see another free throw in my lifetime?  No.

Great, brutal road race - US made a great shot at it, but didn't quite close.  And great to see the winner (no spoilers) from a country that doesn't typically get medals.
He absolutely crushed it too. Nobody else was even close. And the silver/bronze finish was not only thrilling, but crazy close.

That was fantastic.  Nothing about him looked like he would do that.
He did just finish 3rd in the TdF, so not *that* much of a surprise.  The two favorites (who did finish 2nd and 3rd) were marked heavily.  

Only the second gold medal for that country, ever.  And, if you know his story, he grew up out in the middle of nowhere there. 

Denmark men's handball is picking up where they left off at the Euros, completely dominating Japan while the other favorites struggled.  A couple of the big Danes looked like they could score at will against Japan. Two heavy-weights met each other on day 1 in Spain-Germany and it was a fantastic finish.  This will get good when they get to the knock-outs.

Taekwondo is fun to watch even though I haven't a clue what is going on.  Big upset brewing here!

ETA:  No upset after all.  :(   #2 seed Italian took the gold in the last 30 seconds away from #12 Tunisian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else feel like they’re a little less interested in the swimming without Phelps and Track without Bolt?

I can do without skateboarding or surfing. Yes, I’m an old man. These are cool sports, but not competitive events.

Meanwhile, this is the last time we will ever see the most brutally viciously competitive race there’s ever been in the summer Olympic Games, the 50km walk. The world is upside down for me.  

400IM - best comeback I've seen in a long, long time (since Lezak).  USA rules.  That is all.

Taekwondo is fun to watch even though I haven't a clue what is going on.  Big upset brewing here!

ETA:  No upset after all.  :(   #2 seed Italian took the gold in the last 30 seconds away from #12 Tunisian.
Italian Taekwondo sounds look the worst cross cultural combination since my wife tried to convince me to try guava jelly on a bagel.

US men's sabre is okay overall, but with 1 superstar.  Eli Dershwitz is one of the best in the world and has a strong chance for individual medal, maybe even an outside at gold.  Daryl Homer is an Olympic vet who has been around but unlikely to make waves at this point.

US men's and women's epee both unlikely to make any noise.
Dershwitz upset in the round of 16, and gets nowhere near a medal, in disappointing fashion.  The Hungarian legend Aron Szilagyi takes home his 3rd straight epee individual gold.

None of the US women made it past the round of 16 in epee.

Men's epee today, not expecting much.  Women's foil though, both Lee Kiefer and Nicole Ross through to the round of 16 at this point.

This is great to watch but every time they show a new fancy arena with no fans I just die inside for the Japanese people who paid for this monstrosity. Do they just bulldoze all these arenas afterwards so they don’t have to remember this?

This is great to watch but every time they show a new fancy arena with no fans I just die inside for the Japanese people who paid for this monstrosity. Do they just bulldoze all these arenas afterwards so they don’t have to remember this?
T-shirt that says we paid 60 billion for these games during a pandemic and all we got was our basketball team losing by 90 to the Americans 

I'm sure this massive 6,000 capacity skatepark will have decades of use after this.

Is it normal in softball to have second base on the infield grass? 
Anyway, this is intense.  Abbott is so intimidating with her crazy wind up. She seems unhitable at times. 

I actually enjoyed the skateboarding a lot.  I liked that they all looked stoned, too (except the Japanese guy).  :shrug:  

Did they say how many were new?

I think the stadiums in both Rio and Sochi are breeding grounds for invincible mega boars.

Does our volleyball women "A team" hold each other after every single point?  What's up with that?  Win or lose (any point), we must console each other after.
I think it's just ingrained into volleyball players to do that.  It's just natural at this point, much like women's tennis players sounding like Jenna Jameson on a sybian everytime they hit the ball.

When I got my FIBA license they had us play this format as one of the sections. It's exhausting. 

Is it normal in softball to have second base on the infield grass? 
Anyway, this is intense.  Abbott is so intimidating with her crazy wind up. She seems unhitable at times. 
I don't think they even have infield grass in softball. They're playing on a baseball diamond. 

I coached against Abbott when she playing basketball at North Salinas HS. 

Users who are viewing this thread