What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So I listened to the radio today... (1 Viewer)

Correct, atheists are good people because its right, not because we fear eternal repercussions. 
I submit there is no right and wrong in the world without religious context involved

Science and Darwinism will lead a person without religion to understand its survival of the fittest, strong survive and higher intelligence animals do what is best for themselves. Maternal instincts matter as well as other factors but 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infanticide_in_carnivores

Many primates practice infanticide including chimpanzees, gorillas, baboons and langurs while others do not, including orangutans, bonobos and mouse lemurs. 

Without God / religion ... we are nothing more than animals and because of that, nothing binds us. We are each enabled to do the worst things imaginable aren't we ? 

rockaction said:
I'm probably the person in the politics section that listens to the most hip hop, and probably by far (aside from ilov80s) and I can say with no uncertainty that hip hop has gotten especially guttural. For all those making fun of this, they really don't know or don't understand the sexual depravity or indifference to life these kids seem to have.

On my Twitter feed, I follow Complex and XXL, two hip hop magazines. The first day I followed them, there were three deaths of twenty year old hip hop "stars" and one reminiscence of another dead one last year. It's crazy. It's completely violent and somehow acceptable because to criticize it is racist or prudish in some way. But it's generally ultra toxic, and expected given the usuals.
Then you know that there is plenty of new music that doesn’t fall into the  ‘filth flarn filth” category.

I’m still trying to figure out why the OP thinks black culture is political

Also there is more to black culture than sports & entertainment

I submit there is no right and wrong in the world without religious context involved

Science and Darwinism will lead a person without religion to understand its survival of the fittest, strong survive and higher intelligence animals do what is best for themselves. Maternal instincts matter as well as other factors but 

Many primates practice infanticide including chimpanzees, gorillas, baboons and langurs while others do not, including orangutans, bonobos and mouse lemurs. 

Without God / religion ... we are nothing more than animals and because of that, nothing binds us. We are each enabled to do the worst things imaginable aren't we ? 
Topic for another thread. I'm not going to hijack this one discussing the arrogance of religion to believe only the indoctrinated can be moral people.

Have a great day.   :bye:

Topic for another thread. I'm not going to hijack this one discussing the arrogance of religion to believe only the indoctrinated can be moral people.

Have a great day.   :bye:
well we don't have to dive deep into it - but it was pointed towards me that 

Waiting for SC to come in and blame violence and mass shooting on rap music and video games again.... 

Does it make a difference ?

100% it does

That we have such a vulgar music/media industry on one hand that people glamourize and glorify and follow but then turn around and also try to be so metoo# and pro-equality and treating people equally and fairly and all that .... doesn't anyone else see the incredible irony and hypocrisy ?

Hollywood hates guns - and many movies have fully auto guns blasting away - the very thing they're against

Media will talk about treating women with respect then report on the latest rap album that shows anything BUT respect towards women

I could go and on but my point is - socially through media and music and all that ..... it matters, absolutely 

If anyone has had kids, they'll know how easily influenced people are from wearing style of jeans to haircut to app's on their phones etc - and it doesn't stop at 16 fyi

Correct, atheists are good people because its right, not because we fear eternal repercussions. 
Not to pile on SC, but Christians rest comfortably every night knowing grace is saving them.  Those two statements are some of the wrongest statements I've seen made on these boards.  If they are Christian because they are scared of something, then they're doing it wrong.  

well we don't have to dive deep into it - but it was pointed towards me that 

Does it make a difference ?

100% it does

That we have such a vulgar music/media industry on one hand that people glamourize and glorify and follow but then turn around and also try to be so metoo# and pro-equality and treating people equally and fairly and all that .... doesn't anyone else see the incredible irony and hypocrisy ?

Hollywood hates guns - and many movies have fully auto guns blasting away - the very thing they're against

Media will talk about treating women with respect then report on the latest rap album that shows anything BUT respect towards women

I could go and on but my point is - socially through media and music and all that ..... it matters, absolutely 

If anyone has had kids, they'll know how easily influenced people are from wearing style of jeans to haircut to app's on their phones etc - and it doesn't stop at 16 fyi
Without comment on the rest of your post, you brought religion into it. That wasn't necessary unless you believe religion is what makes a moral person. I took exception to that. That's a very arrogant viewpoint.

The dichotomy you describe, imo, is a difference between personal beliefs and art. People have a personal responsibility to behave according to social norms but the freedom to watch or listen to (almost) anything they choose. Artists will sell whatever the public wants.

You can say the art influences people's behavior, but that doesn't absolve people of their responsibility.

As I mentioned early in the thread, I'm a huge fan of Frank Zappa. He has songs that deal with politicians having sex with underaged girls (from 1967). Listening to it many times never made me want to go out have sex with underaged girls.

Without comment on the rest of your post, you brought religion into it. That wasn't necessary unless you believe religion is what makes a moral person. I took exception to that. That's a very arrogant viewpoint.
its not arrogant at all

its how I've come to understand humans

Not to pile on SC, but Christians rest comfortably every night knowing grace is saving them.  Those two statements are some of the wrongest statements I've seen made on these boards.  If they are Christian because they are scared of something, then they're doing it wrong.  
I 100%  that a Christian should be afraid

However if a person's faith is tied to a God that will judge your life upon your death and thumbs up or thumbs down ..... there is a fear factor there don't ya think !!

The dichotomy you describe, imo, is a difference between personal beliefs and art. People have a personal responsibility to behave according to social norms but the freedom to watch or listen to (almost) anything they choose. Artists will sell whatever the public wants.

You can say the art influences people's behavior, but that doesn't absolve people of their responsibility.

As I mentioned early in the thread, I'm a huge fan of Frank Zappa. He has songs that deal with politicians having sex with underaged girls (from 1967). Listening to it many times never made me want to go out have sex with underaged girls.
do you think a mass movement to legitimize something doesn't exist ? 

sure, personal freedom of choice exists but you can influence people and you can also bully and shame them

right now, I'm feeling the pressure on covid vaccine because as of today I'm refusing to get it - and many would name call me, shame me, offer to bribe me with lottery tickets, free donuts, beer etc and then if I still don't conform there will be more pressure put on me

that's social, its governmental, its media driven all combine 

I submit there is a reason we see media/television/Hollywood the way it is - there are agenda's behind it, Maybe Zappa wanted society to change and accept his desires towards children - Elton John has a similar want with his homosexual desires too and his goals succeeded, Zappa's didn't right ? 

I 100%  that a Christian should be afraid

However if a person's faith is tied to a God that will judge your life upon your death and thumbs up or thumbs down ..... there is a fear factor there don't ya think !!
That's not how it works if you read what the Bible says :shrug:  

I can't think of a single conversation I've ever been in with you where you didn't bring up "fear".  Is this a projection thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
And some aren't very self-aware.
another truth spoken

humanity is a surprising thing to study .... fascinating and depression and hopeful all wrapped into one

let me say this to prove my point

'If you don't fight like hell you're not going to have a country anymore' - Donald Trump

unacceptable words, it banned him from media platforms, it resulted in impeachment .... those words Democrats and media will use for a long time

"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" just about anything from  Lil Wayne - google it, disgusting. But, According to Celebrity Net Worth, Lil Wayne has an estimated net worth of $150 million. His music is loved and idolized

what is accepted and what isn't ............. driven by media

Without God / religion ... we are nothing more than animals and because of that, nothing binds us
So your convinced you can’t have ethics or morals if you don’t have religion.  Interesting take, I wholeheartedly disagree and will not take it personally.  But you do you SC. 

That's not how it works if you read what the Bible says :shrug:  
I doubt many people understand what the Bible says about souls that don't know Jesus and salvation - you can study a lifetime and not understand ( as I have )

But the cornerstone of many religions is live a good ethical/moral life and receive eternal life ... don't, and you get a thumbs down and no no on that e-life thing 

So your convinced you can’t have ethics or morals if you don’t have religion.  Interesting take, I wholeheartedly disagree and will not take it personally.  But you do you SC. 
I don't think so no

if it doesn't come from God / religion where can morality/ethics come from ? 

a rap song ? 👀

I doubt many people understand what the Bible says about souls that don't know Jesus and salvation - you can study a lifetime and not understand ( as I have )

But the cornerstone of many religions is live a good ethical/moral life and receive eternal life ... don't, and you get a thumbs down and no no on that e-life thing 
Neither of these things have anything to do with the statements you made before.  You're just shifting the goalposts again and throwing random thoughts out.

I wasn't talking about "many religions" either.  Christianity is what I was talking about and in Christianity, that's not how it works.

I don't think so no

if it doesn't come from God / religion where can morality/ethics come from ? 

a rap song ? 👀
To quote Santa Claus “being good for goodness sake”

I personally have a very strong ethical base. I do because I feel it’s the right way to live not because I’m afraid of some guy in the sky starring down judging me.  Fear has nothing to do with the whys of my decisions on how to treat others.  

Neither of these things have anything to do with the statements you made before.  You're just shifting the goalposts again and throwing random thoughts out.

I wasn't talking about "many religions" either.  Christianity is what I was talking about and in Christianity, that's not how it works.
I was responding to your posts as best I could

Just because your mind doesn't understand or follow the connections doesn't make them less valid or real

in fact, I've noticed often you have a very hard time following my lines of thought. That's ok - everyone is different in that respect

but you can't say I don't respond - I absolutely do

That is absurd. That would mean an atheist could have no understanding or belief in what is considered right or wrong.

There are societies that pre-date Christianity and other current religions and they pretty much believed in the same concepts of what is right or wrong as we do. 

Same here…whats more, people came to this country to be able to practice, or not practice, as they see sot.  So much so that its a pretty big part of the document, whats it called again?  Oh yes, the Constitution 

That is absurd. That would mean an atheist could have no understanding or belief in what is considered right or wrong.

There are societies that pre-date Christianity and other current religions and they pretty much believed in the same concepts of what is right or wrong as we do. 
where did those societies get their concepts ?

Same here…whats more, people came to this country to be able to practice, or not practice, as they see sot.  So much so that its a pretty big part of the document, whats it called again?  Oh yes, the Constitution 
and I 100% support everyone doing what they want to do

right now, I'm feeling the pressure on covid vaccine because as of today I'm refusing to get it - and many would name call me, shame me, offer to bribe me with lottery tickets, free donuts, beer etc and then if I still don't conform there will be more pressure put on me
I'm sure Jesus would have loved your refusal to protect the sick.

I was responding to your posts as best I could

Just because your mind doesn't understand or follow the connections doesn't make them less valid or real

in fact, I've noticed often you have a very hard time following my lines of thought. That's ok - everyone is different in that respect

but you can't say I don't respond - I absolutely do
I asked constantly for why you believe things are connected and I can't remember a single time you've ever responded with clarity, so I stopped asking and just point out when you change the subject.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Modern hits / Hip Hop on Sirius radio.  I’m not exaggerating when I say that every single song was n-word, b*tches, profanities, violence and graphic sex acts.  Couldn’t believe my ears.
See here's your problem.  I listen to Classic Vinyl, Classic rewind, and deep tracks on sirius xm.  Don't have any of the problems you mention.  

where did those societies get their concepts ?
Common sense. Group consensus. You don't have to be told that the right thing to do is to treat people honestly and fairly, the way you would want to be treated. It has nothing to do with religion or god.

Morality is hard to quantify so I can't put much credit in the studies that find no difference in morality among religious and non-religious but I've known many Christians who were thieves, liars, and cheats.  The hypocrisy seemed to make it worse than when seeing similar behavior from non religious people.  Intelligence is easier to quantify and studies consistently show religious people to be less intelligent than non-religious.  

Then you know that there is plenty of new music that doesn’t fall into the  ‘filth flarn filth” category.

I’m still trying to figure out why the OP thinks black culture is political

Also there is more to black culture than sports & entertainment
If you can’t understand why a discussion of black culture is political then I don’t know what to tell you.  Res ipsa loquitor.

Morality is hard to quantify so I can't put much credit in the studies that find no difference in morality among religious and non-religious but I've known many Christians who were thieves, liars, and cheats.  The hypocrisy seemed to make it worse than when seeing similar behavior from non religious people.  Intelligence is easier to quantify and studies consistently show religious people to be less intelligent than non-religious.  
if you’re going to say something like that you really should cite the studies.

if you’re going to say something like that you really should cite the studies.
Fair enough, and to be clear these are averages of groups of people so it doesn't define any individual.  I'm sure there are religious people who are more intelligent than 99% of non-religious people.  I think a common idea for why there is an overall disparity is that those who are much more analytical are less likely to accept religious beliefs which require faith rather than concrete proof.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1088868313497266

https://www.psypost.org/2019/11/meta-analysis-of-83-studies-produces-very-strong-evidence-for-a-negative-relationship-between-intelligence-and-religiosity-54897 

https://www.livescience.com/59361-why-are-atheists-generally-more-intelligent.html

https://neurosciencenews.com/religion-atheism-intelligence-8391/

There are also many studies which show that more intelligent people, on average, have less kids.

Fair enough, and to be clear these are averages of groups of people so it doesn't define any individual.  I'm sure there are religious people who are more intelligent than 99% of non-religious people.  I think a common idea for why there is an overall disparity is that those who are much more analytical are less likely to accept religious beliefs which require faith rather than concrete proof.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1088868313497266

https://www.psypost.org/2019/11/meta-analysis-of-83-studies-produces-very-strong-evidence-for-a-negative-relationship-between-intelligence-and-religiosity-54897 

https://www.livescience.com/59361-why-are-atheists-generally-more-intelligent.html

https://neurosciencenews.com/religion-atheism-intelligence-8391/

There are also many studies which show that more intelligent people, on average, have less kids.
Nice work.  👍

Users who are viewing this thread