What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So I listened to the radio today... (1 Viewer)

I know you believe it and you love hearing it from a black person. And THAT is how she is making money. 
She’s making money because she’s smart as a whip.  But keep believing that black people can’t have Conservative beliefs unless they are doing it for money. 😆

STD’s 

Unwanted pregnancies

Abortions

Single parenthood (which if a teenager almost assures you and your kid will live in poverty)

Divorce

Loss of trust

Domestic violence
Ah. I see. You are only talking about married folk. As for the first three - we need to teach more about safe sex in schools.

STD’s 

Unwanted pregnancies

Abortions

Single parenthood (which if a teenager almost assures you and your kid will live in poverty)

Divorce

Loss of trust

Domestic violence
Are you trying to suggest that listening to these lyrics promote such behavior? 
These musicians don’t promote such behavior with their lyrics- they reflect it. Like all artists they are painting a picture of the world they see around them. Your problem isn’t with the lyrics per se, it’s with black culture. 

Black culture, particularly in our inner cities, has a very high ratio of human misery, with all of the problems you listed and many many more. Shall we engage in a serious discussion of what the reasons are for this? (Hint- if you’re not willing to accept the fact that racism by whites against blacks, is an extremely important factor for the misery, both historical and right now, certainly not the only factor but an extremely important one- then, much like Candace Owens, you’re not really interested in a serious discussion.) 

Ah. I see. You are only talking about married folk. As for the first three - we need to teach more about safe sex in schools.
Not sure how you derived that.  I think it’s equally destructive for all age groups.  And sex ed is nice and all, but condoms break.

Are you trying to suggest that listening to these lyrics promote such behavior? 
These musicians don’t promote such behavior with their lyrics- they reflect it. Like all artists they are painting a picture of the world they see around them. Your problem isn’t with the lyrics per se, it’s with black culture. 

Black culture, particularly in our inner cities, has a very high ratio of human misery, with all of the problems you listed and many many more. Shall we engage in a serious discussion of what the reasons are for this? (Hint- if you’re not willing to accept the fact that racism by whites against blacks, is an extremely important factor for the misery, both historical and right now, certainly not the only factor but an extremely important one- then, much like Candace Owens, you’re not really interested in a serious discussion.) 
Can’t argue with any of this.  Though I do think that music can and should inspire as well as reflect what’s going on.  There’s no reason we can’t or shouldn’t ask our artists and musicians to strive towards a higher goal.

One of my favorite bands in college was Public Enemy.  Their music had an edge but it was socially redeeming.  Need more of that today.

I think I went through a 1-2 year phase where I enjoyed rap but that’s it - just never really appreciated the art.  I also have come to loathe most country music.  

Fun fact - the first documented use of the n-word and b*tches in a song?

1983 - New York New York (Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five)

Hard core bone thug

I was justified when I was five
Raising Cain, I spit in your eye
Times are changing now the poor get fat
But the fever's gonna catch you when the ##### gets back

I think I went through a 1-2 year phase where I enjoyed rap but that’s it - just never really appreciated the art.  I also have come to loathe most country music.  
I loathe most music, but with millions of songs the top 1% of most genre's kick ###.

My Junior High School had a juke box in the cafeteria. Three songs for a quarter. The most popular song, that was played at least twice a day, was blatantly about sexually transmitted disease and promiscuity.

The first time that I got it
I was just ten years old
I got it from some kitty next door
I went and see the Dr. and he gave me the cure
I think I got it some more

Modern hits / Hip Hop on Sirius radio.  I’m not exaggerating when I say that every single song was n-word, b*tches, profanities, violence and graphic sex acts.  Couldn’t believe my ears.

Yes, I’m white and I’m old.  Yesterday’s news, which I’m reminded of daily.  But I’ve never been a prude, and always been lower middle class and a little rough around the edges.  I haven’t listened to modern hip hop in about 5 years but I never remember it being this bad.  What happened?  When did that genre of music become completely unlistenable?  Every single song.  I’m generally not a believer that music lyrics poison young peoples’ minds, but holy smokes.  Thoughts?

This is going exactly as I expected...

I don’t expect people on this site to understand but it just seems - incongruous I guess - that while we soend so much time picking apart the significance of words, tweets, statues, etc  because they’re apparently insensitive to minorities - we have this parallel universe going on where it’s an endless drumbeat and glorification of all the truly destructive things we don’t want in society today (promiscuous sex, misogyny, racism, violence, drug use...)  If an alien came to America today they’d be confused as all hell.

If the black culture in America wants better race relations and move towards functional equality, then it has to set the example first. If the N word is prohibited by non African Americans to say and use, then it should also be prohibited by self discipline to set that positive example.

You can't say do this and do that to others, then do something different right in front of their faces, and expect anyone to actually respect you or your stances or values or convictions. That's a question of integrity, not a question of politics.

But the reality is if anyone who is not African American says what I just said in public, esp a celebrity or a public figure, then they will be called a racist and cancelled. Whatever their career or job, they will be attacked relentlessly until they are fired and/or deplatformed and/or demonetized and/or silenced.

There is a very small subset of black celebrities like Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock and Charles Barkley that can say some of these things and dance around some of these edges, but it's calibrated as another type of entertainment. But there are often deep biting social commentaries coming out of people like Rock and Chappelle. Also someone like George Carlin. But since Carlin was white, Identity Politics has decided he doesn't actually count.

When discussion of The Rooney Rule was in the Shark Pool deep and brutal over a decade or more ago, I said some things that were very unpopular

1) Why is The Rooney Rule the only option on the table? Why can't other alternatives to build diversity in the NFL be discussed without being called a racist if you disagree?

2) The typical powerbrokers around race were just grifter race hustlers ( i.e. the Jesse Jacksons, the Johnnie Cochrans, the Al Sharptons, etc) who didn't actually want racism to end. Because without racism, or the perception of such, they have no power, no business, no role, and no big money.

3) I pointed out the pathway to racial extortion. Where Black America gets to decide what is racist and what is not racist, who is punished and by how much and no one will ever be forgiven for any kind of mistake ever

4) I discussed the long term impact of isolation. If all interactions with Black America presents a Lose/Lose scenario, the rest of non black America will simply ignore them completely. Never talk to them, never be friends with them, never date them, never live in the same neighborhoods, never work with them them, never want their own kids around their kids, nothing at all. Because you can't blame people for self preservation. You can't be called a racist if you never engage at all. And how does that help anyone, esp Black America move forward?

So, if we are talking the political perspective here, what you are seeing is a product of Black America progressively getting to a point where non African Americans, both racists and non racists, have zero incentive to interact with them at all. And before anyone points a finger at me, parents teach their kids all the time that some people will only bring you problems, fair or not, and it's just better to avoid those situations.

Last edited by a moderator:

The only consistent thing about Identity Politics is that the goal posts are going to move.

Kamala Harris brags and laughs about smoking weed. But Biden's Administration goes on an anti-hemp purge except for Harris. Well, it's (D)ifferent.

Biden opposes busing, lies about his involvement with Mandela, drafts the Crime Bill that punishes young black men, talks about "racial jungles" and says bizarre tone deaf things about his own black President (i.e. "he's so clean")  but he gets a pass. However anyone else even remotely getting near race is cancelled. Well, it's (D)ifferent.

Lori Lightfoot won't talk to anyone but a black reporter. If many other big city Mayors did that and were not African American, what do you think would happen to them? Well, it's (D)ifferent.

Some of the most ardent supporters of the radical left are in the sports sphere and are young black professional athletes. And many, like LeBron James, have no problem just saying anything Anti-Semetic as much as they please and the MSM pretends it doesn't happen. His own sport pretends it doesn't happen. His brand, Nike, pretends it never happened. He can threaten law enforcement, advocate and stop league play for a criminal who sexually assault a woman no less, incite all of China and ignore the reality his signature shoes are made in a concentration camp via forced Uighur child labor brokered by America's greatest current enemy, and everyone is just supposed to pretend it never happened. And if a white athlete did any of that? What do people think would happen? Well, it's (D)ifferent.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Of course if Gandhi was alive today, since he'd want peace and would ask the rioting and looting, and YES also the Capitol Riots to stop, well that doesn't fit the Identity Politics Playbook. So he would be deplatformed and eventually doxxed and then Molotov cocktails thrown at his house.

Some thing is very wrong when any political ideology, that sweeps the most powerful nation in the world, where it wouldn't bat two eyelashes to inflict what would clearly be open terrorism against Mahatma Gandhi.

The double standard in music and in all of mass entertainment isn't surprising. It's not a sign of terror to come, it's LAGGING INDICATOR that the terror is already here.

Black America is no longer required to hear anything it doesn't want to hear and are completely free to inflict brutal relentless unforgiving reprisals on any dissent and the net effect is straying far from the teachings of Martin Luther King. This doesn't build a better world. But it makes some race hustlers enough money to buy houses in posh neighborhoods nowhere near any black people at all.

So, soon to come, no one will ever talk to them again. They'll get the lack of dissent many say they've always wanted. Many of their corrupt leaders have inflicted cultural genocide upon their own people and robbed future generations of any hope. I'm not here to give White America a pass, because White America is not blameless in this mess. But one thing needs to made clear, no matter who you want to blame in this life, the only one to save you is going to be you.

No one else is coming to save Black America. It has to find a way to save itself, for itself and for it's future generations. And the only thing that the horrific year of 2020 has shown, it's that they can't. They are just another drowning person who will drag down anyone who comes near them to try to help save them.

When you get exactly what you want, it's never actually that's satisfying in the end.

I know you don't want to believe it and hate hearing it from a black person. 
Nah you’re wrong. There are plenty of black conservatives I’ve enjoyed over the years. Thomas Sowell, Walter Williams among others. Brilliant minds, a joy to read. Of course they were traditional conservatives (Sowell might justifiably have called a libertarian.) Not the nationalist Owens is. 
Contrary to what my friend @ekbeatswrites, she’s not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Everything she says is blatant, lazy, and highly predictable. No nuance in her thinking. Plus she’s looking for splash. Reminds me of Ann Coulter. 

This is going exactly as I expected...

I don’t expect people on this site to understand but it just seems - incongruous I guess - that while we soend so much time picking apart the significance of words, tweets, statues, etc  because they’re apparently insensitive to minorities - we have this parallel universe going on where it’s an endless drumbeat and glorification of all the truly destructive things we don’t want in society today (promiscuous sex, misogyny, racism, violence, drug use...)  If an alien came to America today they’d be confused as all hell.
I'm probably the person in the politics section that listens to the most hip hop, and probably by far (aside from ilov80s) and I can say with no uncertainty that hip hop has gotten especially guttural. For all those making fun of this, they really don't know or don't understand the sexual depravity or indifference to life these kids seem to have.

On my Twitter feed, I follow Complex and XXL, two hip hop magazines. The first day I followed them, there were three deaths of twenty year old hip hop "stars" and one reminiscence of another dead one last year. It's crazy. It's completely violent and somehow acceptable because to criticize it is racist or prudish in some way. But it's generally ultra toxic, and expected given the usuals.

Candace Owens is making a lot of money by very stridently telling white conservatives exactly what they want to hear: that black culture is all screwed up, and that blacks are responsible for their problems (racism has nothing to do with it.) Whether she believes her own crap or not I have no idea. 
It’s basically true.  Just have to nail down how much racism there actually is today - not in 1957 or 1619.  

AAABatteries said:
Have to agree totally.  fits me to a  "T".

You know, some of these video games these days - its a lot of shooting and killing.  Its corrupting kids - makes 'em want to go out and get a gun.

I didn't have that problem when I was playing Pong.
I am younger and love playing the games that are gory, where I can blow peoples heads off and pump 20 rounds into a person and it looks so real. Graphics are so good and realistic now.

GordonGekko said:
If the black culture in America wants better race relations and move towards functional equality, then it has to set the example first. If the N word is prohibited by non African Americans to say and use, then it should also be prohibited by self discipline to set that positive example.

You can't say do this and do that to others, then do something different right in front of their faces, and expect anyone to actually respect you or your stances or values or convictions. That's a question of integrity, not a question of politics.

But the reality is if anyone who is not African American says what I just said in public, esp a celebrity or a public figure, then they will be called a racist and cancelled. Whatever their career or job, they will be attacked relentlessly until they are fired and/or deplatformed and/or demonetized and/or silenced.

There is a very small subset of black celebrities like Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock and Charles Barkley that can say some of these things and dance around some of these edges, but it's calibrated as another type of entertainment. But there are often deep biting social commentaries coming out of people like Rock and Chappelle. Also someone like George Carlin. But since Carlin was white, Identity Politics has decided he doesn't actually count.

When discussion of The Rooney Rule was in the Shark Pool deep and brutal over a decade or more ago, I said some things that were very unpopular

1) Why is The Rooney Rule the only option on the table? Why can't other alternatives to build diversity in the NFL be discussed without being called a racist if you disagree?

2) The typical powerbrokers around race were just grifter race hustlers ( i.e. the Jesse Jacksons, the Johnnie Cochrans, the Al Sharptons, etc) who didn't actually want racism to end. Because without racism, or the perception of such, they have no power, no business, no role, and no big money.

3) I pointed out the pathway to racial extortion. Where Black America gets to decide what is racist and what is not racist, who is punished and by how much and no one will ever be forgiven for any kind of mistake ever

4) I discussed the long term impact of isolation. If all interactions with Black America presents a Lose/Lose scenario, the rest of non black America will simply ignore them completely. Never talk to them, never be friends with them, never date them, never live in the same neighborhoods, never work with them them, never want their own kids around their kids, nothing at all. Because you can't blame people for self preservation. You can't be called a racist if you never engage at all. And how does that help anyone, esp Black America move forward?

So, if we are talking the political perspective here, what you are seeing is a product of Black America progressively getting to a point where non African Americans, both racists and non racists, have zero incentive to interact with them at all. And before anyone points a finger at me, parents teach their kids all the time that some people will only bring you problems, fair or not, and it's just better to avoid those situations.

By and large, people in this country defactively allow ethnicities control over the slurs that were used by the established to define them.    There's an understanding that they're "not allowed" to use said slurs and in doing so, put themselves out there for criticism and (anecdotally) a butt whipping if said in the company of the ethnicity in question. For some reason, the rank and file of this country don't want to extend to the black community that same guardianship.  You don't use ________ if you're not Italian.  You don't use _________ if you're not Chinese. You don't use _________ if you're Polish, Irish, French, Vietnamese or Sudanese.  It's that simple. Don't feel push the use of ________ if you're not African American.  

That Elvis Presley fellow on the Ed Sullivan show, they showed him from the waist down and he made very suggestive moves with his hips. It was obscene! I don’t think they should allow that sort of thing on television. And this new music is destroying the minds of our children! 
Those heavy metal bands in the 80s with their devil this and devil that. All our children will be satanists

By and large, people in this country defactively allow ethnicities control over the slurs that were used by the established to define them.    There's an understanding that they're "not allowed" to use said slurs and in doing so, put themselves out there for criticism and (anecdotally) a butt whipping if said in the company of the ethnicity in question. For some reason, the rank and file of this country don't want to extend to the black community that same guardianship.  You don't use ________ if you're not Italian.  You don't use _________ if you're not Chinese. You don't use _________ if you're Polish, Irish, French, Vietnamese or Sudanese.  It's that simple. Don't feel push the use of ________ if you're not African American.  
Please give a few examples of such off-limit words. 

Edit: Are you going for racial slurs here?  I don't think I've ever heard anyone use the term "***" in real life, for example, unironically in my lifetime.  I think the last time I heard that term spoken aloud was in an episode of the The Sopranos and that was a black guy speaking to Tony.  Surely you're not suggesting that that's in any way comparable to the n-word, right?

Please give a few examples of such off-limit words. 

Edit: Are you going for racial slurs here?  I don't think I've ever heard anyone use the term "***" in real life, for example, unironically in my lifetime.  I think the last time I heard that term spoken aloud was in an episode of the The Sopranos and that was a black guy speaking to Tony.  Surely you're not suggesting that that's in any way comparable to the n-word, right?
I don't think that other racial slurs are as historically inflammatory as the "N" word. I think that most of us, who have lived amongst ethnic enclaves realized that even though they aren't as inflammatory.....if you are not a member of that ethnicity....you do not use the word; with the caveat being that if you are a member of that ethnicity...you are free to use that word.

For some reason, there's a whole lot of white people in this country who feel that African Americans shouldn't (for lack of better words) own the sole rights to the "N" word; and that they if use it (for whatever reason) it allows carte blanche to be used by everyone.  

For some reason, there's a whole lot of white people in this country who feel that African Americans shouldn't (for lack of better words) own the sole rights to the "N" word; and that they if use it (for whatever reason) it allows carte blanche to be used by everyone.  
And those people are right.

Obviously nobody should use racial slurs as racial slurs.  I would never call somebody a "***" or a "slant" or a "****" or whatever.  But referencing those words -- as I just did, using quotation marks -- should be totally fine and uncontroversial.  The n-word should be treated the same way, but isn't, which is dumb. 

rockaction said:
I'm probably the person in the politics section that listens to the most hip hop
I forgot Pinky. I stand corrected by myself. Second-most hip hop, then.
If you’re not including new hip hop and only speaking to amount of time I’m in that mix for the top spot too. But my era of listening generally stops in the early 2000’s.  (Though in fairness it does for all genres of music I listen too). 

do you think who we are around, what we do and how we behave, what we listen to and all those things ........ you don't think that affects behaviors at all ?
"at all"  is the catch in your phrase.    Sure, there is an effect.   IMO the issue would be the person, not the music/game/movie/whatever. 

My approach to it is you either think it has a significant effect and should be dealt with or not.  We can't just cherry pick the things we don't like or watch/listen to and think those are the only things should be looked at. 

And those people are right.

Obviously nobody should use racial slurs as racial slurs.  I would never call somebody a "***" or a "slant" or a "****" or whatever.  But referencing those words -- as I just did, using quotation marks -- should be totally fine and uncontroversial.  The n-word should be treated the same way, but isn't, which is dumb. 
I don't feel they are simply looking to use them in the clinical manner in which you are describing. I think we'd find ourselves in continual situations such as I'd see when I was growing up(I'm 47).   I'd have people say that since (and I don't know if it's changed) the n-word OFFICIALLY in the dictionary meant (paraphrasing): A poor or ignorant person...that they were free and clear to use it since they weren't talking about the ethnicity or race of the people in poverty in the inner cities. It's weak sauce that doesn't help anyone.

To me it's simple.......ethnicity owns their words. I think pushing that helps eliminate the words as hateful expressions and then allows a retirement of them to the archaic realm*.

* I'm not one who thinks Huck Finn or things like that should be scrubbed of the word. 

"at all"  is the catch in your phrase.    Sure, there is an effect.   IMO the issue would be the person, not the music/game/movie/whatever. 

My approach to it is you either think it has a significant effect and should be dealt with or not.  We can't just cherry pick the things we don't like or watch/listen to and think those are the only things should be looked at. 
so its the person ? not the objects or music or whatever ?

that's where you are going with this ? really ?

I submit who you are around and the social setting etc has a massive effect on most people. 

A person surrounded by Christians who don't drink, cuss, watch and listen to the filth on tv/radio will behave similarly and those traits rub off 

A person surrounded by Thugs, drinking and drugging it up, cussing, immersing themselves in porn and violence ....... those traits will rub off

I'd be shocked if anyone disagrees with the above and its not a blanket one size fits all statement but its true especially in young people. 

I turned on the radio the other day and heard music about gang rape and revenge killing. 

But now with Kenny Rogers dead (RIP), I reckon we won't get as much of that kind of music.

Just an FYI, atheists also have these traits. You don't need to be Christian to have any of those traits.
atheists have nothing to bind them to ethics/morals - that's why I used Christians as an example

Atheists don't fear eternal damnation from choices of being unethical/immoral like Christians most of the time do I think

Users who are viewing this thread