What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thoughts on Keenan Allen? (1 Viewer)

Mike C

Footballguy
Keenan Allen has been decent but mostly underwhelming so far this year. Especially in non ppr leagues.  So far, in the non ppr league that I have him in, he is averaging 7.9 ppg.  Last year he averaged 10.6 ppg.  Has Mike Williams permanently passed him?  Is it time to move on from Allen?  Or is his time going to come yet this year?  I don't watch enough Chargers games to have a good sense of what is going on.  Just wondering where people are at with him.

Hiya Mikey

You aren't the only fantasy owner to ignore - all summer long and into the season:

1. Change of coaches (fired were the guys from last year).

2. Change of offense (former Saints coaches literally said all summer that MW gets the position that Mike Thomas played)

3. Herbert has different strengths than over-30 Rivers did. Rivers dumped off a lot of short balls (slot, RBs, and TE) and then took bomb shots. Herbert just may be the opposite by going deep (MW) more often and less short stuff (KA).

4. Allen plays the "other WR" spot that highlighted E Sanders, Ginn, TreQuan, Snead, and Cooks, but Allen isn't a burner threat like most of them.

5. Mike Williams is a talented first round WR that was misused compared to his strengths and can't stay healthy because he sacrifices his body too often on highlight reel receptions. If he stays healthy, they re-sign / franchise him.

6. If MW gets hurt, Allen probably doesn't switch positions on the field

Just my opinion.

I know you said in league chat "we know what Mike Williams is by now", but sometimes the coaches aren't blowing smoke. It's not the Brees/Rivers short game offenses. My analogy is what happened to "Thielen" (minus the TDs) when Jefferson was utilized to his strengths. Still good, but not going back to years past.

I'll probably be wrong and MW gets hurt in his next game and Allen has a second half season revival.

Allen, from a very spotty memory, has always had kinda slow starts to the season and then fires up throughout the rest.

trying to trade for him as we speak 

He was shockingly dropped on one of my leagues, so I scooped him up. My general impression is that Williams’ emergence seems to have capped his ceiling a little, but he’s still really talented and has an elite QB throwing to him.

Does anyone know if his peripherals have changed at all this year? Is he due for any positive regression?

Hiya Mikey

You aren't the only fantasy owner to ignore - all summer long and into the season:

1. Change of coaches (fired were the guys from last year).

2. Change of offense (former Saints coaches literally said all summer that MW gets the position that

Mike Thomas

played)

Herbert

has different strengths than over-30 Rivers did. Rivers dumped off a lot of short balls (slot, RBs, and TE) and then took bomb shots.

Herbert

just may be the opposite by going deep (MW) more often and less short stuff (KA).

Allen

plays the "other WR" spot that highlighted

E Sanders

Ginn

, TreQuan,

Snead

, and

Cooks

, but

Allen

isn't a burner threat like most of them.

Mike Williams

is a talented first round WR that was misused compared to his strengths and can't stay healthy because he sacrifices his body too often on highlight reel receptions. If he stays healthy, they re-sign / franchise him.

6. If MW gets hurt,

Allen

probably doesn't switch positions on the field

Just my opinion.

I know you said in league chat "we know what

Mike Williams

is by now", but sometimes the coaches aren't blowing smoke. It's not the Brees/Rivers short game offenses. My analogy is what happened to "

Thielen

" (minus the TDs) when

Jefferson

was utilized to his strengths. Still good, but not going back to years past.

I'll probably be wrong and MW gets hurt in his next game and

Allen

has a second half season revival.

Riff!

It figures Williams would wait until I acquire Allen before he finally decides to put it all together.  I didn't consider the change in offense.  Good point. I did consider that they have a QB in Herbert now that can push the ball downfield.  But that should still leave enough looks for Allen for him to be more productive than he has so far.  It seems like he has been getting plenty of targets, he just isn't being as productive with them as he has in the past.  Which makes me wonder if there is an age factor at play.  But for now, I'll hope that it's just a hot start by Williams and a healthy/fire hot start by Ekeler, and things will eventually even out.

Users who are viewing this thread