What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democrats And Education - Matt Taibbi (1 Viewer)

Do you have more info on this? 

I just know of him from what I read here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Taibbi
Just from listening to him over the years. I put him in the Noam Chomsky category of leftists who hate the Democratic Party even more than they hate conservatives, because we Democrats won’t agree to a revolution. Seymour Hersh is another: 

Doesnt mean he’s wrong on this issue though. He probably isn’t. He’s a very good analyst, and a terrific writer. 

Just from listening to him over the years. I put him in the Noam Chomsky category of leftists who hate the Democratic Party even more than they hate conservatives, because we Democrats won’t agree to a revolution. Seymour Hersh is another: 

Doesnt mean he’s wrong on this issue though. He probably isn’t. He’s a very good analyst, and a terrific writer. 
I've gone through multiple cycles with Taibbi. I think I first started noticing him during the 2008 election, when I found his cynicism off-putting. I remember reading a piece he wrote after Palin was tapped as McCain's running mate that assumed as a matter of course that obviously those red-neck, red-state yokels were going to be taken in by her ridiculous schtick. I thought at the time that I thought he was misreading the moment (although in retrospect maybe he was just eight years ahead of his time?)

After the election he took on the financial beat, which is where I found him most impressive, because when you're talking about the actions of the big banks during the housing bubble/Great Recession, it's almost impossible to be too cynical. His most famous article from that period was the Goldman Sachs/"vampire squid" piece, but my favorite was another one (can't find it online) where he spent time in bankruptcy court, observing how ridiculously stacked the system was against individual homeowners.

After 2016 he migrated back to politics, and once again I found him less interesting. In line with his previous cynicism, it felt like because he took it as a granted that voters would fall for Trump, there was no point in even dwelling on it; hence the constant criticism of Democrats. (It was also around this time when a woman who had worked with him years earlier revealed he had been kind of a jerk).

I agree this piece is pretty good, and he's highlighting an issue that Democrats should not make the mistake of ignoring. I also agree that, through it all, he's always been a fantastic writer. In fact, I would put him up there with George Will and Peggy Noonan as people whose writing ability I can admire even when I find their arguments to be ridiculous.

He’s a radical leftist who, much like Glenn Greenwald, spends more of his time attacking Democrats rather than Republicans, in part because he regards our entire system as evil, and in part because he resents not being invited to be on MSNBC. 

I'm not familiar with him other than this article. 

I do find it interesting you label him a "radical leftist". 

Do you think Taibbi's op/ed I posted in the OP are representative of the "radical left"?

No. I asked why would we (meaning we, as a society) want parents determining school curriculum over experts in the respective fields.
There are no debates about whether to teach students the quadratic equation, how to balance a chemical equation, or how to write a five-paragraph essay, for precisely the reason that you identify.  These are relatively technical issues that kids need to learn about, and that's it.

With CRT and similar debates, it's totally different.  This is a discussion of what values we want our schools to to teach, and what sort of narrative we want used to frame our history.  There are no "experts" on such a topic, and it seems totally fine to me for parents and elected officials to weigh in.  I certainly don't see any reason to have that issue settled entirely by an ideologically-captured bureaucracy.  

I've gone through multiple cycles with Taibbi. I think I first started noticing him during the 2008 election, when I found his cynicism off-putting. I remember reading a piece he wrote after Palin was tapped as McCain's running mate that assumed as a matter of course that obviously those red-neck, red-state yokels were going to be taken in by her ridiculous schtick. I thought at the time that I thought he was misreading the moment (although in retrospect maybe he was just eight years ahead of his time?)

After the election he took on the financial beat, which is where I found him most impressive, because when you're talking about the actions of the big banks during the housing bubble/Great Recession, it's almost impossible to be too cynical. His most famous article from that period was the Goldman Sachs/"vampire squid" piece, but my favorite was another one (can't find it online) where he spent time in bankruptcy court, observing how ridiculously stacked the system was against individual homeowners.

After 2016 he migrated back to politics, and once again I found him less interesting. In line with his previous cynicism, it felt like because he took it as a granted that voters would fall for Trump, there was no point in even dwelling on it; hence the constant criticism of Democrats. (It was also around this time when a woman who had worked with him years earlier revealed he had been kind of a jerk).

I agree this piece is pretty good, and he's highlighting an issue that Democrats should not make the mistake of ignoring. I also agree that, through it all, he's always been a fantastic writer. In fact, I would put him up there with George Will and Peggy Noonan as people whose writing ability I can admire even when I find their arguments to be ridiculous.
I don't have as much experience with Taibbi as you do, but I share your opinion.  He's always worth a read even when he's wrong, which is about the highest praise I can give a writer.

There are no debates about whether to teach students the quadratic equation, how to balance a chemical equation, or how to write a five-paragraph essay, for precisely the reason that you identify.  These are relatively technical issues that kids need to learn about, and that's it.

With CRT and similar debates, it's totally different.  This is a discussion of what values we want our schools to to teach, and what sort of narrative we want used to frame our history.  There are no "experts" on such a topic, and it seems totally fine to me for parents and elected officials to weigh in.  I certainly don't see any reason to have that issue settled entirely by an ideologically-captured bureaucracy.  
No Ivan, you must believe the science(™) of CRT!

I’d say it’s far from clear that kids “need to learn about” these things.  In some sense all educational decisions are somewhat political.  People of different beliefs don’t all even agree on the purpose of education in the first place.

Do you think Taibbi's op/ed I posted in the OP are representative of the "radical left"?
He’s not a radical leftist. He’s always identified himself and an “ACLU Liberal”. The corporate left attacks him because of the way he equates the right and left wing media (Hate Inc.). He has called Fox News the propaganda arm of the Republican Party.

He’s also stated “Fox News no longer represents real institutional political influence in this country anymore. The financial/educational/political elite with all the power is on the other side and I think they’re the people to be worrying about.”

He is uncomfortable with identity-based politics which is rampant in media, academia and the Democratic Party. This is why they hate him. 

I highly recommend his podcast with Katie Halper - “Useful Idiots”.

He’s a radical leftist who, much like Glenn Greenwald, spends more of his time attacking Democrats rather than Republicans, in part because he regards our entire system as evil, and in part because he resents not being invited to be on MSNBC. 
Yeah, it is the horseshoe theory in action.

My 8 year old knows about the Civil War. She knows about Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad. She knows about Malcom X. She knows about MLK and that he was assassinated. She knows about Rosa Parks and how African Americans were treated as second class citizens. She knows all about Ruby Bridges and the challenges of desegregation especially in the south but also the racial violence I experienced in the 80’s in Boston due to “Busing”. I want her to continue to learn about these things.

If going back to segregation is part of CRT, I have no interest in my child participating. Unfortunately these policies are currently being floated in my home state. I have multiple friends, relatives and acquaintances who teach in Ma public and have confirmed these policies are being heavily discussed and implemented.

Wellesley

“As part of Wellesley Public Schools’ “Strategic Equity Plan [for] 2020-2025,” the district adopted a policy of hosting racially-segregated affinity groups, asserting that this practice is necessary to achieve “racial equity.” According to WPS, its racial affinity groups allow “people within an identity group to openly share their experiences without risk of feeling like they will offend someone from another group, and without another group’s voices” – demonstrating that the racial affinity group policy was designed to be exclusionary.”

“WPS has held multiple racially segregated events for students. Emails reveal that the district’s director of diversity, equity, and inclusion lamented that the school didn’t maintain a list of students sorted by race, which would have made it easier for her to invite only the Asian and Asian American students to such an event. Nevertheless, the district refused to host an affinity group for Jewish students, despite statistical evidence highlighting the rise in anti-Semitic violence nationwide.”

fatguyinalittlecoat said:
I’d say it’s far from clear that kids “need to learn about” these things.  In some sense all educational decisions are somewhat political.  People of different beliefs don’t all even agree on the purpose of education in the first place.
Okay, cool.  Let's start with bringing prayer back into the school and mixing in Christian religious instruction alongside math and chemistry and composition.  Then we'll have a debate over whether to incorporate other ideologies into the classroom.

I don’t understand.
Nobody plays the "even math is political so politics is unavoidable in education" card when the topic is religious indoctrination in schools.  We all get that teaching kids to simplify fractions is qualitatively different from teaching kids to profess that Jesus Christ is their personal savior.

The new anti-racism religion (or CRT or wokeness or whatever we're calling it) is more like religious indoctrination than it is like diagramming a sentence.  People are free to believe whatever they want to believe, but this sort of thing doesn't belong in schools IMO.  

Last edited by a moderator:

I don’t. As I wrote earlier, I think he’s probably correct about the article. There was an earlier discussion of Taibbi’s politics and I think it’s fair to label him as I did. 

Nobody plays the "even math is political so politics is unavoidable in education" card when the topic is religious indoctrination in schools.  We all get that teaching kids to simplify fractions is qualitatively different from teaching kids to profess that Jesus Christ is their personal savior.

The new anti-racism religion (or CRT or wokeness or whatever we're calling it) is more like religious indoctrination than it is like diagramming a sentence.  People are free to believe whatever they want to believe, but this sort of thing doesn't belong in schools IMO.  
I’m completely fine with schools teaching about the history of racism in this country and how it continues to have spillover effects today. 

What specific aspects of CRT are you opposed to?

Nobody plays the "even math is political so politics is unavoidable in education" card when the topic is religious indoctrination in schools.  We all get that teaching kids to simplify functions is qualitatively different from teaching kids to profess that Jesus Christ is their personal savior.

The new anti-racism religion (or CRT or wokeness or whatever we're calling it) is more like religious indoctrination than it is like diagramming a sentence.
Sure, I agree there’s a spectrum.  But you seem to be envisioning the ordinary social studies curriculum as neutral, when those choices also represent a particular ideology.

I don’t. As I wrote earlier, I think he’s probably correct about the article. There was an earlier discussion of Taibbi’s politics and I think it’s fair to label him as I did. 

Ok. I'd agree his article here doesn't sound like something from a "radical leftist". What other things has he done or written that would make you label him as a radical leftist?

Ok. I'd agree his article here doesn't sound like something from a "radical leftist". What other things has he done or written that would make you label him as a radical leftist?
He wrote a book on Trump (it was actually a compilation of articles from Rolling Stone) which gave me that distinct impression. Also a series of interviews on Bill Maher and elsewhere. 

Good article on Taibbi here: 

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2021/10/what-happened-to-matt-taibbi.html

It’s fair, IMO. He describes himself as an “ACLU liberal” but the only politician he claims to like is Bernie. He spends almost all of his time blasting MSNBC and claiming there is no difference between it and Fox, no difference between Biden and Trump, etc. I know some here agree with this but it’s not a mainstream liberal point of view. He belongs with the Glenn Greenwalds (whom he’s associated with, I did not know this but it’s no surprise). 

I’m completely fine with schools teaching about the history of racism in this country and how it continues to have spillover effects today. 

What specific aspects of CRT are you opposed to?
Yes, that's exactly how I would like to see US history taught.  Slavery and it's legacy should be one of the ~3 most central topics.

My objection is with Kendi-style antiracism, the 1619 project, and stuff like that.  That stuff is part of what is essentially a new religion.

It’s fair, IMO. He describes himself as an “ACLU liberal” but the only politician he claims to like is Bernie. He spends almost all of his time blasting MSNBC and claiming there is no difference between it and Fox, no difference between Biden and Trump, etc. I know some here agree with this but it’s not a mainstream liberal point of view. He belongs with the Glenn Greenwalds (whom he’s associated with, I did not know this but it’s no surprise). 
Why don't you refute the guy's argument and drop this weird sidebar?

Why don't you refute the guy's argument and drop this weird sidebar?
Not a weird sidebar at all. I think Taibbi’s motivations are worth noting. But I wouldn’t have continued with it if I hadn’t been asked. 

I don’t refute his argument because I agree with him that these education issues will hurt the Democrats. I don’t agree that teaching CRT is a bad thing and I certainly don’t agree with you that it’s a “religion”, but those are different issues. 

Not a weird sidebar at all. I think Taibbi’s motivations are worth noting. But I wouldn’t have continued with it if I hadn’t been asked. 

I don’t refute his argument because I agree with him that these education issues will hurt the Democrats. I don’t agree that teaching CRT is a bad thing and I certainly don’t agree with you that it’s a “religion”, but those are different issues. 
I don't think actual graduate-school CRT is a religion.  It's fine -- I agree with parts of it and disagree with other parts.

The Ibram X Kendi stuff really is kind of a religion, in the sense that it's a dogma that doesn't provide many (or any?) opportunities for falsification, but it gives its adherents a way of looking at world and making sense of their role in it.  It's not based on anything that exists at surface-level reality, unlike "true" CRT.

I don't think actual graduate-school CRT is a religion.  It's fine -- I agree with parts of it and disagree with other parts.

The Ibram X Kendi stuff really is kind of a religion, in the sense that it's a dogma that doesn't provide many (or any?) opportunities for falsification, but it gives its adherents a way of looking at world and making sense of their role in it.  It's not based on anything that exists at surface-level reality, unlike "true" CRT.
That’s fair. 
Of course, critics of any new set of ideas will glom on to the most radical elements or people involved. Very few of them will admit, as you just did, that it is only part of the entire picture, and not representative of it. 

It’s fair, IMO. He describes himself as an “ACLU liberal” but the only politician he claims to like is Bernie. He spends almost all of his time blasting MSNBC and claiming there is no difference between it and Fox.

Thanks. I totally agree with the MSNBC / FOX thing.

I'll read more. Was mostly super interested in your labeling him a radical leftist. 

I thought this was interesting. https://nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2021/10/what-happened-to-matt-taibbi.html

I disagree with Tim in I don't call this a "radical leftist". I call this someone who thinks for himself. 

Politically, Taibbi describes himself as a “run-of-the-mill, old-school ACLU liberal” who counts Bernie Sanders among the few politicians he actually admires. “The only thing I would say that’s different about my political thinking — and it has nothing to do with policy and politics — suddenly I’m getting along better with people who are Republicans,” he said.

Like Christopher Hitchens, Taibbi has a singular ability to infuriate the left. His most viewed Substack post, published in June 2020, remains “The American Press Is Destroying Itself.” Lately, he has blasted away at NPR and other left-leaning media, the “vaccine aristocrats” who shame the unvaccinated, popular anti-racist authors like Robin DiAngelo, and those who hope Facebook and Twitter will take far more aggressive action against lies and hateful rhetoric spread by the far right. Not long ago, he offered a defense of Tucker Carlson. FiveThirtyEight, the high church of bloodless empiricism, recently lashed Taibbi for promoting the “baseless conspiracy theory” that a drug called Ivermectin can treat COVID-19. (Taibbi successfully won a correction, with the website conceding it “mischaracterized” his stance.)

Taibbi’s critics view him as a reporter turned red-pilled culture warrior chasing subscriptions — or worse, a middle-aged male no longer at the vanguard, aggrieved that younger journalists are now leading the fight for justice. “One of a crew of a dozen white guy contrarians in media,” said the journalist Wesley Lowery.

The liberal-left especially loathes the way Taibbi equates the right- and left-wing media. His second-most recent book, Hate Inc., features Rachel Maddow and Sean Hannity on the cover together, and argues that both sides have played a role in polarizing the country and stoking hate. Taibbi has gone as far as to argue that Fox News, the propaganda arm of the Republican Party that is still the ratings king, “no longer represents real institutional political influence in this country anymore. The financial/educational/political elite with all the power is on the other side and I think they’re the people to be worrying about.”

Thanks. I totally agree with the MSNBC / FOX thing.

I'll read more. Was mostly super interested in your labeling him a radical leftist. 

I think pretty much everyone agrees that about MSBNC and FOX. The cast of characters they have make them difficult to watch.

With Cuomo fired if CNN got rid of Lemon that would be a major upgrade for them.

I do want to add, as I noted in the other thread- all of this discussion by parents and teachers about what’s being taught in history classes misses the key point which is that most students HATE history classes, they find them boring and don’t retain anything they learn. 
Unless you can fix this, it doesn’t matter what is taught. 
You know Tim you are absolutely right about that. History was my favorite subject in school. I worked in retail my entire life so I worked with a lot of teenagers.  One day when I was in the break room it was full of Leesburg High students. I asked if any of them knew what the War of 1812 was about and who won. Not a one of them knew really amazed me.

He’s not a radical leftist. He’s always identified himself and an “ACLU Liberal”. The corporate left attacks him because of the way he equates the right and left wing media (Hate Inc.). He has called Fox News the propaganda arm of the Republican Party.

He’s also stated “Fox News no longer represents real institutional political influence in this country anymore. The financial/educational/political elite with all the power is on the other side and I think they’re the people to be worrying about.”

He is uncomfortable with identity-based politics which is rampant in media, academia and the Democratic Party. This is why they hate him. 

I'm actually currently reading Hate Inc. Fantastic book so far that reveals the dirty underbelly of corporate news.

Seems to me that public schools and universities have crossed the line from basic education to political indoctrination centers.  CRT? Picking your pronouns, safe spaces, censorship. God is dead. Climate change. Boys can be girls? It’s all nonsense and certainly not education. Please God no to Trump coming back. Even if you like his rhetoric on China and the globalists he didn’t do anything but bring on operation warp speed. Now we have ole Joe enforcing Trumps big Pharma agenda. I don’t want shots for life subscription to be considered healthy.

:shrug:  Thanks.

What makes someone a "radical leftist" to you?
Well for one thing he’s a fan of Bernie Sanders. Bernie is pretty leftist and pretty radical.

For another Taibbi is sharply critical, in his writings, of the establishment left, far more so than he is of any right wingers.  This is typical of his kind of leftist: they see the Bidens and Schumers and Pelosis as the greater threat than they do conservatives, because their goal is a radical transformation of our system. 

I've never really given much thought to Taibbi's actual politics. I think he's just a professional cynic. In some situations, that cynicism leads him to great writing, in others, I think it takes him off course.

This is the most accurate take on Taibbi on this thread. 

This is the most accurate take on Taibbi on this thread. 
It isn’t. He’s simply wrong. The “corporate left” (whatever that term means, it’s an absurd contradiction anyhow) doesn’t hate Taibbi; corporations don’t hate anyone for that matter. He in turn seems to hate the corporate media but at least part of that may be resentment that he’s not invited enough. @Philo Beddoe is correct that Taibbi equates the mainstream media with Fox News, which is more evidence of his radicalism. 

Well for one thing he’s a fan of Bernie Sanders. Bernie is pretty leftist and pretty radical.

For another Taibbi is sharply critical, in his writings, of the establishment left, far more so than he is of any right wingers.  This is typical of his kind of leftist: they see the Bidens and Schumers and Pelosis as the greater threat than they do conservatives, because their goal is a radical transformation of our system. 

So I'm clear, that's how you define a radical leftist?

What has Taibbi written that makes you think is goal is "radical transformation of our system"?

Thank you @pollardsvision   That was a good interview I thought. I especially thought it was interesting with his comments about what Taibbi said he found when getting past the media headlines and actually talking to people and how the South Asian parents had an important role in the story. 

I don't mean to keep badgering Tim on this but I find myself agreeing with a lot of what Taibbi is saying. But I don't see much "radical left" in what he's saying so it's odd to me Tim would have that opinion. 

Listening to Taibbi in the interview, he sounds like a smart guy that is thinking for himself and trying to actually understand what was happening in that situation in Virginia. 

It seems to me part of the reason folks like Tim have a different opinion of Taibbi is he confuses people by not fitting nicely into a box we can easily label. Bill Maher gets some of this when he criticizes wokeness. It becomes a thing of "How dare _______ be critical of ________? I thought he was one of us!"

It's interesting as I don't that as a problem at all.

I see that as a huge positive when a person can make a case for what they feel is right. Even if it upsets some of the people in "the tribe". 

It isn’t. He’s simply wrong. The “corporate left” (whatever that term means, it’s an absurd contradiction anyhow) doesn’t hate Taibbi; corporations don’t hate anyone for that matter. He in turn seems to hate the corporate media but at least part of that may be resentment that he’s not invited enough. @Philo Beddoe is correct that Taibbi equates the mainstream media with Fox News, which is more evidence of his radicalism. 
Are tech and media companies not corporations? Are they not part of the left? Did 100 Fortune 500 CEOs not join a call to boycott the Georgia voting laws? Does that make them Conservatives? All led by BlackRock, Vanguard, Goldman Sachs, T Rowe Price,   Bain, AIG & Cambridge Associates. 40+ Trillion in assets. They control everything.

“Wall Street. In the third quarter of 2020, Joe Biden and a Democratic Party whose base has shifted to the left crushed Donald Trump and the Republicans in fundraising from Wall Street executives. This is despite the Trump administration’s lowering corporate taxes and Biden’s stated intention to raise taxes on high earners and to increase corporate tax rates.

This isn’t a new phenomenon. Back in 2008, Barack Obama comprehensively outraised John McCain among the same demographic. Mitt Romney reversed this somewhat in 2012. But the money dramatically shifted back to the left in 2016 when Hillary Clinton easily won the bulk of donors from the financial sector.”

You’ve been wrong about everything for a decade.

It’s a real issue. 
I think Critical Race Theory needs to be taught. I’ve changed my mind on that; I’m for it. But it’s going to piss a lot of parents off and Republicans will be successful running against it. 

In 20 years from now this won’t be an issue. The major elements of CRT will be taught everywhere and conservatives won’t bother to fight it. But this sort of struggle occurs every time there is this sort of change and those opposed always win temporary victories. 
Actual CRT has no real business in our elementary/middle schools and an argument can be made for high schools.  Problem is, most of what we see today that is being "banned" isn't CRT.  I have yet to run across a state law that isn't purposefully vague and poorly worded.  There's a reason for that.  There's also a reason why we are seeing story after story pop up from kids around the country who don't understand what the "problem" is as what is being made illegal isn't being taught in the first place.  Of course several of us predicted exactly this when the GOP created the boogeyman many months ago and it's no real surprise.

It seems to me part of the reason folks like Tim have a different opinion of Taibbi is he confuses people by not fitting nicely into a box we can easily label. Bill Maher gets some of this when he criticizes wokeness. It becomes a thing of "How dare _______ be critical of ________? I thought he was one of us!"
This is an odd comment to me.  I don't think most liberals have ever thought of Maher as a liberal.  It's generally conservatives that think of him as a liberal.

This is an odd comment to me.  I don't think most liberals have ever thought of Maher as a liberal.  It's generally conservatives that think of him as a liberal.

Interesting. Because it seems odd to me it seems odd to you. ;)

Obviously, wikipedia is not the final say but this is how I would say most think of him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Maher

Views and beliefs

Maher often eschews political labels, referring to himself as "practical".[60] He identifies as liberal, but stands against political correctness. In his words, "The difference is that liberals protect people, and P.C. people protect feelings."[61]

In the past, he has also described himself as a libertarian, and has also referred to himself "as a progressive, as a sane person".[62][63]

Maher is definitely left of center, and he's definitely a liberal.  He just isn't into identity politics (which makes sense, given that identity politics clash with traditional liberalism) and he's not tribal.

Maher is definitely left of center, and he's definitely a liberal.  He just isn't into identity politics (which makes sense, given that identity politics clash with traditional liberalism) and he's not tribal.
I’m old enough to remember when Maher was viewed as a centrist to slightly right leaning libertarian.   Then the Republican Party went nuts and he became left leaning.

Users who are viewing this thread