What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICAL MINNESOTA TWINS 2010 THREAD*** (1 Viewer)

Gopher State said:
Wooderson said:
Francisco Liriano, seven shut out innings today against Bean Town, if Liriano is back this is large for the Twins.Twins take 2 out 3 from Boston in first series ever at Target Field, now in 1 place central, it doesn't get any better then this :homer:
This could be the start of something huge. HUGE I tell ya.
HUGETwins on ESPN tonight. :unsure: Always nice when I get a chance to watch them.
ESPN vs MN NORTH with goofy Bert B, hmmm think I flip between the twoGO TWINS
I miss MN North love goofy BB.score update Twins 4 Tigers 1 top of 4Go Twins
Update :pickle: not good

It was cool watching Hughes, 26, who hails from Perth, Australia, became the fifth Twin to homer in his first major league at-bat, and the first since Andre David on June 29, 1984, at Detroit. Other Twins who homered in their first at-bat are Rick Renick (1968), Dave McKay (1975) and Gary Gaetti (1981).

Baker was bad last night as was the rest of the Twins bullpen, but give the Tigers credit their a very good team, and the Tigers are the team to beat in the central imo.

Twins on ESPN tonight. :lmao: Always nice when I get a chance to watch them.
MLBtv is pretty sweet for $120 total. I upgraded my Interwebs and get the Twins in HD. I'm dropping an extra ~$400 over the course of the season to see the Twins. Totally worth it.
I've thought about trying MLBtv I might at the very least get the MLB android app that will allow me to listen to games.
The droid app is very cool as well. Sometimes the live audio cuts out on me a little and I don't know if its my phone or service or software. But it doesn't interfere with the game that much.

It was cool watching Hughes, 26, who hails from Perth, Australia, became the fifth Twin to homer in his first major league at-bat, and the first since Andre David on June 29, 1984, at Detroit. Other Twins who homered in their first at-bat are Rick Renick (1968), Dave McKay (1975) and Gary Gaetti (1981).Baker was bad last night as was the rest of the Twins bullpen, but give the Tigers credit their a very good team, and the Tigers are the team to beat in the central imo.
Well Willis got his second win as a Tiger EVER today. He is not a very good pitcher at all and he owned the Twins today.Crain sucks but Gardy likes him because he throws harder then any other pitcher in the pen. Awesome if you like seeing a 95mph fastball go 105mph off the bat. This guy is just not good.Mijares is just a fat tub of goo so him being hurt is a good thingThe Twins should have been 2-1 in this series. You do not blow a 6-1 lead.Lets see if this team rolls over when they have to go out east and play Bos (who isn't very good) and NY just like a typical Gardenhire team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lineup

Minnesota Twins

Lineup AVG AB HITS HR RBI

Denard Span CF .221 86 19 0 8

Orlando Hudson 2B .281 89 25 1 6

Joe Mauer C .342 79 27 1 12

Justin Morneau 1B .352 71 25 4 15

Michael Cuddyer RF .303 89 27 3 17

Jason Kubel DH .206 68 14 2 9

Delmon Young LF .233 60 14 2 9

J.J. Hardy SS .218 78 17 3 9

Brendan Harris 3B .195 41 8 1 4

Kevin Slowey P .000 0 0 0 0

Starting pitcher Wins Losses Winning % Innings pitched ERA

Kevin Slowey P 2 2 .500 23.2 3.42

Starting line up for tonights game against the Indians. Good to see the M & M Boys back in the line up

I love that **** Bremer's All Time Home Run List contains no one that did steroids. Speaking of Thome, he says "Next on my list is Killebrew and not Palmeiro."

Twins' Manship to start for Blackburn on Saturday

Tony Dejak, Associated Press - Ap

CLEVELAND - The Twins placed Nick Blackburn on the Family Medical Emergency List on Friday and promoted righthander Jeff Manship from Class AAA Rochester to pitch in Blackburn's place Saturday night against Cleveland.

Blackburn returned home to Oklahoma for a personal family matter. He will remain on the FME list for three to seven days.

Manager Ron Gardenhire said the team had considered lefthander Brian Duensing for this start, but because he has been in a short-relief role, he might last only three innings.

Manship was 2-0 with a 2.25 ERA in his past two starts for Rochester, going six innings in each. He made five starts and six relief appearances for the Twins last year, going 1-1 with a 5.68 ERA and posted a 14.29 ERA in three spring training appearances.

"He had a couple outings early where he didn't get the ball where he wanted to, didn't have much control of his breaking stuff," Gardenhire said. "But as he got going, you could see that he was starting to get a better feel for it."

While Manship has made recent strides, lefthander Glen Perkins is 0-3 with a 9.00 ERA in four starts for Rochester.

"He can pitch better than that," Gardenhire said. "Just give him time, let him do it. The thing is he's healthy and throwing the ball. We all know can pitch and get people out up here; he's just gotta get it done down there. When you need a pitcher, he's gotta be the guy they say is ready to do it, and it's not happening right now."

Punto update

After Friday's victory, the Twins sent Luke Hughes to Class AAA Rochester, clearing roster space for Nick Punto, who will come off the disabled list Saturday.

Great game by the M & M Boys Friday

Now lets see what Manship has ;)

Doctor Detroit said:
Nice digs. :suds:
It's pretty fantastic. I've been to two games there so far, and it's so nice. I'm not actually sure it's necessarily better than other stadiums (I went to Comerica last year and I'd say they're pretty similar) but after years of the Metrodome it seriously feels like heaven.

Doctor Detroit said:
Nice digs. :confused:
It's pretty fantastic. I've been to two games there so far, and it's so nice. I'm not actually sure it's necessarily better than other stadiums (I went to Comerica last year and I'd say they're pretty similar) but after years of the Metrodome it seriously feels like heaven.
I've been to the Ballpark at Arlington, Camden and the new Nats park and I think Comerica is better becasue of the LF statues and the area in RCF. If this new stadium is as good as Comerica, you have a nice place to watch a game.

Twins' Francisco Liriano named April's pitcher of the month

May 4, 2010 - 6:06 AM

Duane Burleson, Associated Press file

Twins lefthander Francisco Liriano, who went 4-0 with a 1.50 ERA, was named American League pitcher of the month for April.

He's the first Twins pitcher to win the award since Johan Santana in September 2006.

Everyone is wondering if Liriano is back to being the pitcher he was in 2006, when he went 12-3 with a 2.16 ERA. Awards-wise, he is. The last time he won a monthly award was 2006, when he was named AL rookie of the month in June and July that summer.

Liriano walked 13 but struck out 36 in 36 innings last month. He held opponents to a .206 batting average. He entered Monday tied with Tampa Bay righthander and ex-Twins teammate Matt Garza for the most victories in the league and was third in ERA.

He's scheduled to face the Orioles on Friday.

Good to see Liriano coming back :thumbup:

Doctor Detroit said:
Nice digs. :goodposting:
This is my take as well. Target Field may not be the best new stadium, but the jump from the Metrodome to Target Field is as big an improvement as there has been from 1 year to the next. As a baseball fan in MN it is great to have this stadium.

Great 4-3 win last night by the Twins. It was both the first walk-off win and complete game in Target Field history. It also helped the Twins win eight of the nine series they have played this season.

Maybe the first sweep ever at Target field today :)

Great game today, and to sweep a team as good as the Tigers makes the first sweep ever at Target Field a special one

Also, the Twins became the first major league team to score at least two runs in the first inning of six straight games since the 1971 New York Yankees did so seven consecutive times. The Twins have outscored their opponents 28-13 in the first inning this year. It really helps to get that early run support.

GO TWINS

At 19-9, the Twins are off to their best 28-game start since they were 20-8 in 2001. They are 9-3 at Target field.

Lots of ball to be played, but great start by the Twins :goodposting:

MEDICAL WATCH:

USA TODAY

—SS J.J. Hardy (jammed left wrist) was held out May 5 after injuring his wrist May 4 sliding into third on a triple. He is expected to be out at least a game or two, but Hardy held out hope that he can play May 6 against Baltimore.

—C Joe Mauer (bone bruise on left heel) did not play May 1-5. Mauer is not expected to play for a handful of games but is not expected to be placed on the disabled list. He dressed and practiced a little May 5.

—RHP Pat Neshek (inflamed right middle finger) went on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to April 29. The Twins had planned to demote him to the minors, but Neshek said his finger was acting up again and asked to go on the DL.

—LHP Jose Mijares (strained left elbow) went on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to April 16. He threw a bullpen session May 5, and he's scheduled to pitch twice with the Twins' Class AAA club, probably May 7 and 9. He might rejoin the Twins May 10.

—RHP Clay Condrey (right elbow flexor strain) went on the 15-day disabled list April 3. He had an MRI on his right elbow April 5 that showed no structural damage, the Twins reported. He had a setback April 21 when he played catch and still felt something in his arm, manager Ron Gardenhire said.

—C Jose Morales (right wrist surgery in January 2010, right shoulder tightness) went on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 26. Morales never really got going in spring. When he finally got his cast removed and was able to begin swinging, his shoulder tightened up and he had to be pushed back. He had another injury setback at Class AAA Rochester, a sore hip reported May 5. The team didn't have a timetable for his return.

—RHP Joe Nathan (Tommy John surgery in March 2010) went on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 26, and he was transferred to the 60-day DL on April 14. Nathan is out for the season, but the team expects him to be ready to return by Opening Day 2011.

Update on the injured Twins

Going to the Sox / Twins game a week from tonight. :rolleyes:
I'd be interested in your thoughts on the new ballpark.I'll apologize in advance for your loss. ;)
section 116 , row 20 yes...i'm not expecting a W from the Sox, so I'm there to inspect the new park and get drunk.
If you go up to the 2nd level, behind home plate, there is a series of 4 or 5 bars that overlook the field. At first glance, they may look crowded, but there are 4 or 5 bartenders at each one, and you can grab a beer/wine/mixed drink real quick. The windows overlooking the field will be 2 deep, but people seem to stay for a drink or two, then leave. Settle down with a whiskey coke and you can probably slide in and watch an inning from the bar.Are you taking the light rail into the stadium? Or are you staying downtown? Exiting the field on the side opposite the light rail (I guess it would be the west side on 7th St is less crowded and easier to maneuver.If you want to save money, in order to spend that money on copious amounts of beer, I recommend bringing your own food in. You can grab some pizza around the corner, or a burrito, or a sub, or whatever and pay half of what it would cost inside. And it will taste better too.

Going to the Sox / Twins game a week from tonight. :)
I'd be interested in your thoughts on the new ballpark.I'll apologize in advance for your loss. ;)
section 116 , row 20 yes...i'm not expecting a W from the Sox, so I'm there to inspect the new park and get drunk.
If you go up to the 2nd level, behind home plate, there is a series of 4 or 5 bars that overlook the field. At first glance, they may look crowded, but there are 4 or 5 bartenders at each one, and you can grab a beer/wine/mixed drink real quick. The windows overlooking the field will be 2 deep, but people seem to stay for a drink or two, then leave. Settle down with a whiskey coke and you can probably slide in and watch an inning from the bar.Are you taking the light rail into the stadium? Or are you staying downtown? Exiting the field on the side opposite the light rail (I guess it would be the west side on 7th St is less crowded and easier to maneuver.If you want to save money, in order to spend that money on copious amounts of beer, I recommend bringing your own food in. You can grab some pizza around the corner, or a burrito, or a sub, or whatever and pay half of what it would cost inside. And it will taste better too.
Can you buy Surly or other craft brews at the park? :)

Going to the Sox / Twins game a week from tonight. :lmao:
I do the food thing only I go to Cub Foods and buy a couple pounds of peanuts or pistachios. Heck of a lot cheaper then shelling (get it!) out 4 or 5 bucks for a bag in the stadium.

Joe Mauer takes step in right direction

Jeff Wheeler, Star Tribune

With customized orthotics in his left shoe, catcher Joe Mauer tested his bruised heel with a round of batting practice Thursday, knocking several balls beyond Target Field's right field wall.

Mauer, who has missed the Twins' past six games, also played long toss in the outfield, but he did not get into the catching position and he did not run, suggesting he could be multiple days from returning.

"I want to play, but I've got to be smart about it, too," Mauer said. "It's a step in the right direction."

Though Mauer's swing looked good, manager Ron Gardenhire said he wasn't ready to pinch hit. "If he hits the ball, he's got to run somewhere, and we're not ready for that yet," Gardenhire said.

Hardy update

Shortstop J.J. Hardy said his strained left wrist felt much improved Thursday, but he missed his second game in a row.

"Now that I know it's just a bone bruise, I can push myself more through the pain," Hardy said.

Good news on both Joe and J J

Can you buy Surly or other craft brews at the park? :thumbup:
No Surly, unfortunately. There are a few Minnesota Beer stands. But they are bottled beer (12 oz) that is poured into a cup for 7 dollars. You can get a pint of Summit in the bars that I spoke of for the same price.

the moops said:
urbanhack said:
Can you buy Surly or other craft brews at the park? ;)
No Surly, unfortunately. There are a few Minnesota Beer stands. But they are bottled beer (12 oz) that is poured into a cup for 7 dollars. You can get a pint of Summit in the bars that I spoke of for the same price.
agreed, go to the bars before the game and have a few, you save some$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Another Target Field first -- Twins-Orioles rained out

By PAUL WALSH, Star Tribune

Another first for roofless Target Field.

Minnesota Twins's home game tonight in its new ballpark against the Baltimore Orioles has been postponed because of rain.

The game will be made up as part of a day-night doubleheader Saturday. The games will be at 12:10 p.m. and 7:10 p.m.

Officially, Friday's game is the later Saturday matchup. That means, according to the team, that Friday night's tickets are valid only for Saturday night's game. There are no refunds or exchanges.

Further rainout information for fans is available at www.twinsbaseball.com, or by calling 612-33-TWINS or 800-33-TWINS, or visiting the Target Field box office during normal business hours.

The last time a Twins home game was rained out was on Sept. 20, 1980, at Met Stadium.

Nice to see the Twins get a split against the O's today

Really good to see Joe M pitch hit :rolleyes:

Baker pitched 8 great innings also

Gardenhire said the plan is to have Mauer start at DH for Sunday's series finale. He did some catching drills in the batting cage between Saturday's games, working on popping up to field a bunt.

Need Mauer's bat back in the line up :thumbup:

Very good pitching peformance today by Blackburn who gave up just four hits -- all singles -- and walked two to pick up his second straight win. Split with the O's at home not good, but could of been worst. But with injuries to O-Dog, JJ, and half of the M & M boys it was an ok weekend.

Next up Chicago

Twins' J.J. Hardy could go on DL, or not

By LA VELLE E. NEAL III, Star Tribune

Twins shortstop J.J. Hardy is facing a trip to the disabled list as early as Tuesday if his bruised left hand doesn't improve.

Hardy injured the hand while sliding into third base with a triple last Tuesday against Detroit, and the recovery has taken longer than expected. An MRI revealed nothing more than a bruise. Hardy is doing all he can to keep his hand loose.

Hardy is aware he could land on the disabled list but hopes to make a lot of progress by Tuesday afternoon.

"Tuesday is kind of the day I was looking to get back," said Hardy, who is batting .250 with three homers and 11 RBI. "I'm hoping for Tuesday."

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said he definitely will call up an infielder if Hardy must go on the disabled list. Matt Tolbert (.231 average at Class AAA Rochester) and Trevor Plouffe (.288) have played shortstop for the Red Wings. But with Nick Punto, Brendan Harris and Alexi Casilla able to play multiple infield positions, third baseman Luke Hughes (.246) could be called up again.

"We're just kind of on hold,'' Gardenhire said. "We want to see how Hardy is over the next couple of days. If he's not getting any better, we might be looking to do something there, too. If it's going to be another four, five days then I'm going to probably end up making a roster move there."

Twins need JJ back soon

The Twins are 11-5 at Target Field and tied with San Diego for the fourth-best home winning percentage in baseball.

Bring on the White Sox :shrug:

The Twins have a new star outfielder - Kirby the Kestrel

USA TODAY

The Minnesota Twins have a fourth outfielder - Kirby the Kestrel.

Kirby, a small falcon seen perched atop the right field foul pole at Target Field during home games, is becoming a fan favorite.

Nicknamed by fans after Twins great outfielder Kirby Puckett, the falcon entertains fans as he swoops in the air snaring moths lured by the stadium lights.

Footage of his acrobatic flights are shown on the video scoreboard during games and on cable network Foxs Sports North with broadcasters **** Bremer and Bert Blyleven analyzing the action.

Julia Ponder, the executive director of The Raptor Center at the University of Minnesota, said the bird is a male American Kestrel. The kestrel is indeed the smallest falcon species in North America, and similar in size to a robin. It preys on insects, small rodents and small birds.

Kirby has become so popular that he's attracted the online birdwatching community at AskTheBirds.org.

J.J. Hardy on DL, but sees quick return

By JOE CHRISTENSEN, Star Tribune

The Twins placed shortstop J.J. Hardy on the 15-day disabled list because of a bruised left wrist Tuesday and recalled infielder Matt Tolbert from Class AAA Rochester.

Hardy hasn't played since he jammed his wrist sliding into third base May 4, so he'll be eligible to return May 20, when the Twins are in Boston.

Hardy had a CT scan on Monday and was examined by orthopedist Dr. Thomas Varecka on Tuesday.

"The hand specialist said it would surprise him if I'm not ready in eight days, so that's kind of comforting," said Hardy, who is batting .250 with three home runs and 11 RBI.

Plouffe was considered

Tolbert was batting .232 for Rochester. When he was pulled from Monday's game, he thought he was about to get scolded for not running hard. Instead he was promoted.

Tolbert batted .333 after getting called back to the big leagues last September and started the final 20 games at third base, as the Twins went 16-4.

"He can play up here and he's fine," manager Ron Gardenhire said. "Plays wherever you want to put him, busts his tail and does everything."

Gardenhire said Rochester shortstop Trevor Plouffe and second baseman Luke Hughes were both considered for this promotion. The Twins believe Plouffe needs to play every day, and considered Tolbert the better choice than Hughes because he plays more defensive positions.

Gardenhire said he knew he'd be giving most of the starts at shortstop to Brendan Harris and Alexi Casilla, and he really likes Nick Punto's defense at third base.

"Plouffey was looked at," Gardenhire said. "If we wanted an everyday guy and we knew it was going to be a really, really long period, then you might start thinking about it."

Mijares move pending

Jose Mijares returned from Rochester, and the Twins hope to activate the reliever from the DL before Wednesday's game. They are waiting to see how Joe Mauer's bruised left heel responds from Tuesday's catching assignment -- his first since April 30.

Mijares, who has been out because of a strained left elbow, allowed three runs for Rochester on Friday and two on Sunday. He gave up six hits combined in those two innings, with one walk and two strikeouts.

"He said he was throwing the ball down the middle," Gardenhire said. "His location wasn't great, but he just wanted to throw strikes and make sure his arm was fine."

Gardenhire did say Mijares appears in better shape.

"He's worked his tail off," Gardenhire said. "We don't get into pounds and stuff like that. He looks great, and he's worked very, very hard."

Gibson heads to Class AA

The Twins promoted 2009 first-round draft pick Kyle Gibson to Class AA New Britain after he went 4-1 with a 1.87 ERA in seven starts for Class A Fort Myers.

"Obviously, his numbers kind of speak for themselves," Twins minor league director Jim Rantz said of Gibson, who went 4-0 with a 1.36 ERA in his last six starts, with 33 strikeouts and 10 walks in 39 2/3 innings.

New Britain was 6-24 entering Tuesday, largely because its hitters and relievers were struggling, but Rantz said he's not concerned about Gibson going there and getting demoralized.

"He's a competitor, and success is contagious," Rantz said. "If he keeps it going, it could help those other guys."

The Twins are 11-5 at Target Field and tied with San Diego for the fourth-best home winning percentage in baseball.Bring on the White Sox :unsure:
:unsure:glad i was there for the Sox to christen the park in the right fashion. :kicksrock:bye bye twinkie dome.p.s. it was ####### cold last night!!!!

Great, but cold game today 3-2 over the White Sox, with some very good pitching by both teams, but,Pavano (4-3) put up his fourth straight start allowing two earned runs or less, and he's totaled 30 innings during that span.

Here's to Pavano keeping it up :thumbdown:

Ramos, one of the top catching prospects in baseball, began his major league career 7-for-9 but was in a 1-for-18 skid when he got the news.

By LA VELLE E. NEAL III, Star Tribune

The Twins optioned catcher Wilson Ramos to Class AAA Rochester after Wednesday's game and will reinstate lefthander Jose Mijares from the 15-day disabled list before Friday's game against the Yankees.

Ramos, one of the top catching prospects in baseball, began his major league career 7-for-9 but was in a 1-for-18 skid when he got the news.

"He's a big-league baseball player with a chance to be one for a long time," Gardenhire said. "He needs to play, not watch Joe Mauer play."

Mauer is now healthy after missing eight starts with a bruised left heel. It allows the Twins to go back to 12 pitchers in time for their key East Coast road trip.

Mijares was on the disabled list with a left elbow strain, but the team also wanted him to work on his conditioning.

Surprise bunt

Even with Jason Kubel on the bench and J.J. Hardy on the disabled list, the Twins still had a potent lineup on the field Wednesday.

So it was surprising to see Orlando Hudson square for a sacrifice bunt with runners on first and second in the third inning. Justin Morneau sounded a little surprised.

"It was an interesting situation," Morneau said. "He threw six balls in a row, and it was a 2-0 count, but it worked out. It worked out great."

Actually, White Sox lefthander John Danks threw six of six pitches for balls. But we get the point. Hudson still bunted instead of trying to coax a walk from Danks.

"We asked him about it," Morneau said, "and he said, 'It's my job to move those guys along and your job to drive them in.'"

With Joe Mauer on deck and Morneau in the hole -- and it being so early in the game -- it just seemed like giving up an out in that situation wasn't the right choice. But a run scored on a Mauer groundout and Morneau tied the score with an RBI single.

For the record, manager Ron Gardenhire said he didn't have the bunt on, but Hudson has the option to bunt if he feels that's the best way to get the runners over.

"My temptation is that I like big innings," Gardenhire said, "but I've never been too shy to drop a bunt and get them over so those guys can get them in, too."

The Twins entered Wednesday tied for fifth in the AL in homers and sixth in doubles -- and fifth in runs scored -- but ...

"We still manufacture runs," said outfielder Michael Cuddyer. "I don't think that was a bad play at all.''

Pavano wins

After a couple of tough-luck losses, Twins righthander Carl Pavano held the White Sox to two runs over seven innings to improve to 4-3. Chicago scored two runs off him in the first, but Pavano got on a roll late, retiring 13 of the last 14 batters he faced.

"I picked up my slider later in the game," he said. "The depth of my changeup came later in the game. As a result, it allowed me to go deeper into the game."

Etc.

• The pitching matchups for the first two days of the Twins-Yankees series have been set, with Scott Baker facing A.J. Burnett on Friday and Francisco Liriano facing Andy Pettitte on Saturday. Nick Blackburn is scheduled to start on Sunday, but New York has not named a starter for that game yet.

• Delmon Young has hit two doubles in a game three times this season.

• Denard Span is batting .413 this month.

Twins vs Yanks

LETS GO TWINS

:lmao: This is great news.

Twins become players in international scouting

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI, AP Baseball Writer 3 hours, 2 minutes ago

Printable View

Return to Original

Buzz up! 0

Print

MINNEAPOLIS (AP)—When it came to international scouting, the Minnesota Twins used to be a laughingstock.

“I think for a while we were a last resort,” Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony said. “If guys didn’t get signed by the other teams, they’d come see us.”

That was until last September, when the Twins surprised the baseball world by luring 16-year-old Dominican Republic shortstop Miguel Angel Sano for a whopping $3.15 million signing bonus, beating heavy hitters on the international market like the New York Yankees and Seattle Mariners.

It was the culmination of a 15-year struggle to gain credibility beyond U.S. shores. The Twins have poured money and resources into their scouting department to have success both in Latin America and as trailblazers in Europe and Australia.

“Five years ago we would not have been able to sign Sano,” said Mike Radcliff, who oversees the Twins international scouting as vice president of player personnel.

“That was a major investment there, but it’s already had many side benefits as well. It increased our presence greatly and put us on the map for a lot of players and (representatives) that didn’t give us the time of day before that.”

Now the Minnesota farm system is a hot dish of players from all over the globe—Germany, Australia, Netherlands, Brazil and even the Czech Republic—as the Twins search far and wide for talent.

When Terry Ryan took over as general manager in 1995, he made bolstering Minnesota’s international operations a top priority. Teams like the Los Angeles Dodgers, Atlanta Braves, Yankees and Mariners were cleaning up while the Twins languished with substandard resources.

The Twins have been lauded for years for their scouting and development, but the vast majority of those players grew up in North America and were obtained through the draft.

“The Dominican was where we weren’t being productive and we were spinning our wheels,” Radcliff said.

The Twins started by targeting two baseball-crazy nations, setting up an academy in Venezuela and steadily establishing a facility in the talent-rich Dominican Republic.

“In 15 years, we’ve gone from no facilities to poor facilities and now to facilities in both countries that we’re very proud of,” current GM Bill Smith said.

They hired Fred Guerrero in the Dominican and Jose Marzan to oversee all of Latin America, and made Jose Leon the coordinator of scouting for Venezuela, where their academy has a staff of 14 and a clubhouse that opened in 2000.

In 2004, the Twins relocated to Boca Chica in the Dominican Republic, joining a complex with the Cincinnati Reds, Chicago Cubs and Arizona Diamondbacks in a much-needed upgrade.

“We went from bad to worse to bad again,” Radcliff said. “And now we’ve got as good a facilities as anybody else down there.”

They didn’t stop there. Many teams have supplemented the talent they land in Latin America by going to the Pacific Rim, where baseball is extremely popular. The Dodgers landed Hideo Nomo(notes), the Yankees got Hideki Matsui(notes) and the Mariners brought Ichiro Suzuki(notes) to the United States.

The Twins, meanwhile, have extended their scouting reach to new frontiers— Europe and Australia. Trusted scout Howie Norsetter, based in Australia, has the team ahead of the curve in areas where baseball is low on the sports hierarchy.

They went to the homeland of Bert Blyleven, the former Twins star whose big curveball helped the team win its first World Series in 1987, to sign Dutch pitchers Alexander Smit, who now is in Cincinnati’s system, and Loek Van Mil, at 2.16 meters (7-foot-1) the tallest pitcher in baseball.

They also plucked infielder Luke Hughes(notes) from Australia, outfielder Matej Hejma from the Czech Republic and signed Max Kepler, a 16-year-old German outfielder who was perhaps the most coveted prospect in Europe last year.

“In Latin America, everybody’s down there,” Radcliff said. “In Europe, only a select few teams are involved.”

For now.

With owner Jim Pohlad’s blessing, they spent $775,000 on Kepler and another $750,000 on Dominican shortstop Jorge Polanco. That’s big money for any team, let alone an organization that had a reputation as one of the most frugal in Major League Baseball.

“We moved cautiously into this,” Smith said. “We didn’t just jump in and start throwing money around. We built the foundation first. We got facilities and we got staff.”

The investment, hard work and rebuilding is starting to pay off for the Twins, who led their division going into the weekend.

Before getting injured, Venezuelan pitcher Jose Mijares(notes) was a valued member of the bullpen. Catcher Wilson Ramos(notes), another Venezuelan, was called up as a fill-in and went 7 for 9 in his first two games. Hughes homered in his first big-league at-bat in April.

To hear the Twins tell it, this is only the beginning. Their days of penny-pinching and missing out on upper-echelon prospects because of a lack of resources are over.

“We want to be a threat to get some of the best players in the world every year,” Smith said. “We’re not going to get all the best ones every year, but we want to be a threat to get those players.”

:banned: This is great news.

Twins become players in international scouting

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI, AP Baseball Writer 3 hours, 2 minutes ago

Printable View

Return to Original

Buzz up! 0

Print

MINNEAPOLIS (AP)—When it came to international scouting, the Minnesota Twins used to be a laughingstock.

“I think for a while we were a last resort,” Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony said. “If guys didn’t get signed by the other teams, they’d come see us.”

That was until last September, when the Twins surprised the baseball world by luring 16-year-old Dominican Republic shortstop Miguel Angel Sano for a whopping $3.15 million signing bonus, beating heavy hitters on the international market like the New York Yankees and Seattle Mariners.

It was the culmination of a 15-year struggle to gain credibility beyond U.S. shores. The Twins have poured money and resources into their scouting department to have success both in Latin America and as trailblazers in Europe and Australia.

“Five years ago we would not have been able to sign Sano,” said Mike Radcliff, who oversees the Twins international scouting as vice president of player personnel.

“That was a major investment there, but it’s already had many side benefits as well. It increased our presence greatly and put us on the map for a lot of players and (representatives) that didn’t give us the time of day before that.”

Now the Minnesota farm system is a hot dish of players from all over the globe—Germany, Australia, Netherlands, Brazil and even the Czech Republic—as the Twins search far and wide for talent.

When Terry Ryan took over as general manager in 1995, he made bolstering Minnesota’s international operations a top priority. Teams like the Los Angeles Dodgers, Atlanta Braves, Yankees and Mariners were cleaning up while the Twins languished with substandard resources.

The Twins have been lauded for years for their scouting and development, but the vast majority of those players grew up in North America and were obtained through the draft.

“The Dominican was where we weren’t being productive and we were spinning our wheels,” Radcliff said.

The Twins started by targeting two baseball-crazy nations, setting up an academy in Venezuela and steadily establishing a facility in the talent-rich Dominican Republic.

“In 15 years, we’ve gone from no facilities to poor facilities and now to facilities in both countries that we’re very proud of,” current GM Bill Smith said.

They hired Fred Guerrero in the Dominican and Jose Marzan to oversee all of Latin America, and made Jose Leon the coordinator of scouting for Venezuela, where their academy has a staff of 14 and a clubhouse that opened in 2000.

In 2004, the Twins relocated to Boca Chica in the Dominican Republic, joining a complex with the Cincinnati Reds, Chicago Cubs and Arizona Diamondbacks in a much-needed upgrade.

“We went from bad to worse to bad again,” Radcliff said. “And now we’ve got as good a facilities as anybody else down there.”

They didn’t stop there. Many teams have supplemented the talent they land in Latin America by going to the Pacific Rim, where baseball is extremely popular. The Dodgers landed Hideo Nomo(notes), the Yankees got Hideki Matsui(notes) and the Mariners brought Ichiro Suzuki(notes) to the United States.

The Twins, meanwhile, have extended their scouting reach to new frontiers— Europe and Australia. Trusted scout Howie Norsetter, based in Australia, has the team ahead of the curve in areas where baseball is low on the sports hierarchy.

They went to the homeland of Bert Blyleven, the former Twins star whose big curveball helped the team win its first World Series in 1987, to sign Dutch pitchers Alexander Smit, who now is in Cincinnati’s system, and Loek Van Mil, at 2.16 meters (7-foot-1) the tallest pitcher in baseball.

They also plucked infielder Luke Hughes(notes) from Australia, outfielder Matej Hejma from the Czech Republic and signed Max Kepler, a 16-year-old German outfielder who was perhaps the most coveted prospect in Europe last year.

“In Latin America, everybody’s down there,” Radcliff said. “In Europe, only a select few teams are involved.”

For now.

With owner Jim Pohlad’s blessing, they spent $775,000 on Kepler and another $750,000 on Dominican shortstop Jorge Polanco. That’s big money for any team, let alone an organization that had a reputation as one of the most frugal in Major League Baseball.

“We moved cautiously into this,” Smith said. “We didn’t just jump in and start throwing money around. We built the foundation first. We got facilities and we got staff.”

The investment, hard work and rebuilding is starting to pay off for the Twins, who led their division going into the weekend.

Before getting injured, Venezuelan pitcher Jose Mijares(notes) was a valued member of the bullpen. Catcher Wilson Ramos(notes), another Venezuelan, was called up as a fill-in and went 7 for 9 in his first two games. Hughes homered in his first big-league at-bat in April.

To hear the Twins tell it, this is only the beginning. Their days of penny-pinching and missing out on upper-echelon prospects because of a lack of resources are over.

“We want to be a threat to get some of the best players in the world every year,” Smith said. “We’re not going to get all the best ones every year, but we want to be a threat to get those players.”
:)

Justin Morneau had a field day the last time the Twins played at Yankee Stadium, batting .568 with three homers and four RBI. Here's to the M & M boys having a great time in N.Y.

:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread