What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2011 FBG Post Season Contest (1 Viewer)

#100301Ben Roethlisberger $28 0.00 Rashard Mendenhall $18 0.00 Mike Wallace $22 0.00 Heath Miller $11 0.00 Joseph Addai $16 6.00 Blair White $9 11.40 Joe Flacco $23 27.85 Baltimore Ravens $8 13.00 Matt Ryan $25 0.00 Michael Turner $18 0.00 Michael Jenkins $9 0.00 Tony Gonzalez $15 0.00 Matt Hasselbeck $8 36.50 Aaron Rodgers $29 27.40 John Kuhn $6 4.90 Andrew Quarless $5 5.70 -----------------------------------------TOTAL 127.85 CUTOFF 92.75
Ugh you've got me dominated on PIT/ATL for sure as I went Brees whereas you took more ATl/PIT guys and took less expensive week 1 options although I did go Roddy White. If those end up the Superbowl teams I see almost no way you get eliminated and don't place.
If the Packers lose to the Bears I could be hurting to advance the next week. Even so, if Roddy gets 9/110/2 someone with less SB players than me + Roddy could easily crush. Not very many guys have posted in this thread so surely there's someone that has me dominated with Roddy/Hines Ward as well. We'll see. We all know Mewelde Moore/Spaeth/Randle El or Hugh Douglas could be the Superbowl hero with 2-3 TD's.

$66 NE: Brady, Law Firm, Branch

$62 Chicago: Cutler, Forte, Knox, Olsen, Aromashodu

$41 GB: Rodgers, Starks, Quarles, Lee,

$20 Seattle: Hass, BMW, Carlson

$20 Baltimore: Rice

$10 NYJets: Keller

$31 Gone: Blair White, Tony Moeaki, Reggie Bush, Jerome Harrison

Banking on NE/Chicago or NE/GB to have any chance at winning, but spread the wealth around enough to ensure I would have a good chance to make it to the Conference Championships. Guaranteed 10 players will count for me this weekend. I'm curious how many other NE/Chicago entries there are floating around, and hoping a querier becomes available.

Not surprised to see several with the same Patriots as I've got; guess my best bet now would be a NE/Atl Super Bowl.

Tom Brady

BenJarvus Green-Ellis

Deion Branch

Rashard Mendenhall

Pierre Garcon

Derrick Mason

Michael Turner

Roddy White

Drew Brees

Garrett Hartley

New Orleans Saints

Aaron Rodgers

John Kuhn

If the Packers lose to the Bears I could be hurting to advance the next week. Even so, if Roddy gets 9/110/2 someone with less SB players than me + Roddy could easily crush. Not very many guys have posted in this thread so surely there's someone that has me dominated with Roddy/Hines Ward as well. We'll see. We all know Mewelde Moore/Spaeth/Randle El or Hugh Douglas could be the Superbowl hero with 2-3 TD's.
Packers play the Falcons and Bears the Seahawks. I need to root for Seattle so I get Hass longer. I've got Rodgers/Jennings vs 3 Falcons (Turner, White, Ryan) so I'd prefer ATL advance. Like I said, I really messed up in one of two areas ... went Bowe and should have taken more Superbowl picks ... and/or should have taken fliers over Brees although his production saved me in week 1.

I did some quick math based on the owned % and the prices. The average team lost $91.40 worth of players last week. Obviously that percentage won't be the same for the top 4K but it's amazing to see that over 36% of player values are already out. If NO had beat SEA, that would have added about $40 to the average team value.

I spent literally 44 seconds filling this thing out. Didn't even look at what would need to happen to have a chance, but it looks like I will need the Ravens/Pats and GB/SEA to be playing in the AFC/NFC Championship game for me to have a shot. I figured on a GB/NE superbowl, but figured if it was GB/BAL I might have a shot. I doubt I make it to the SB round though.

Tom Brady $34 0.00

Danny Woodhead $14 0.00

Deion Branch $15 0.00

Ray Rice $20 18.40

Anquan Boldin $16 17.40

Derrick Mason $15 2.10

Mike Williams $8 17.80

Olindo Mare $6 12.00

Reggie Bush $11 7.40

Aaron Rodgers $29 27.40

Brandon Jackson $11 10.70

John Kuhn $6 4.90

James Starks $4 14.20

James Jones $11 7.90

Donald Driver $10 10.60

Jordy Nelson $8 0.00

Andrew Quarless $5 5.70

Donald Lee $3 0.00

Mason Crosby $12 3.00

Green Bay Packers $9 5.00

Loved this contest and I loved the roster flexibility.

Seeing all the teams heavy with Patriots, I am definitely rooting against New England in this contest.

Would love to see the breakdown by roster size :unsure: Wonder if there was a 12-kicker guy :lmao: Or a 60-player guy! :confused:Also would be curious of the count of, say, teams with 4+ players from 2 teams (e.g. the Super Bowl breakdown) and what the most frequent combo is.-QG
I'm 8 QB guy.Tom Brady $34 0.00 Ben Roethlisberger $28 0.00 Joe Flacco $23 27.85 Ray Rice $20 18.40 Brad Smith $3 1.10 Matt Ryan $25 0.00 Jay Cutler $20 0.00 Michael Vick $34 28.90 Drew Brees $34 32.80 Aaron Rodgers $29 27.40

I think this format stinks.

I'm sure that I am not the only person who got knocked out first rd b/c they did not understand that you had to score a certain amount first week or be eliminated. My team was eliminated b/c I picked too many players from teams on bye weeks. Afer re-reading the rules I found the mention of this. "Contest will be Survivor style. By survivor style, we mean that only the high scores for JUST THAT WEEK advance to the next round. Scores reset each week." and here that was in the middle of the rules section.

This reminds me of a fantasy league I was in that constantly changed the rules and had weird and complicated scoring so the veteran league members always had an avantage over the new guys.

Weak.

I think this format stinks.I'm sure that I am not the only person who got knocked out first rd b/c they did not understand that you had to score a certain amount first week or be eliminated. My team was eliminated b/c I picked too many players from teams on bye weeks. Afer re-reading the rules I found the mention of this. "Contest will be Survivor style. By survivor style, we mean that only the high scores for JUST THAT WEEK advance to the next round. Scores reset each week." and here that was in the middle of the rules section.This reminds me of a fantasy league I was in that constantly changed the rules and had weird and complicated scoring so the veteran league members always had an avantage over the new guys.Weak.
:ptts:

I think this format stinks.I'm sure that I am not the only person who got knocked out first rd b/c they did not understand that you had to score a certain amount first week or be eliminated. My team was eliminated b/c I picked too many players from teams on bye weeks. Afer re-reading the rules I found the mention of this. "Contest will be Survivor style. By survivor style, we mean that only the high scores for JUST THAT WEEK advance to the next round. Scores reset each week." and here that was in the middle of the rules section.This reminds me of a fantasy league I was in that constantly changed the rules and had weird and complicated scoring so the veteran league members always had an avantage over the new guys.Weak.
:ptts:

Reading Is FundamentalWhere were you for the regular season Subscriber Contest that had teh same Survivor-style aspect?

So don't enter next year :shrug:I think it's the greatest thing in the history of awesome.

I'm sure that I am not the only person who got knocked out first rd b/c they did not understand that you had to score a certain amount first week or be eliminated. My team was eliminated b/c I picked too many players from teams on bye weeks. Afer re-reading the rules I found the mention of this. "Contest will be Survivor style. By survivor style, we mean that only the high scores for JUST THAT WEEK advance to the next round. Scores reset each week." and here that was in the middle of the rules section.

This reminds me of a fantasy league I was in that constantly changed the rules and had weird and complicated scoring so the veteran league members always had an avantage over the new guys.

Weak.
We do our best to make things as clear as possible, but we know we need to continue working and we appreciate the feedback.Just one thing though. While the quote you cite was in the middle of the rules, it was also the first thing listed in the "brief rule summary" on the entry form:

Entry form

As I say, we'll keep working to make things as clear as possible. Thanks again for the feedback.

Weak.
Just be honest and say you didn't read the rules. The part you mentioned also went on to say:

Contest will be Survivor style. By survivor style, we mean that only the high scores for JUST THAT WEEK advance to the next round. Scores reset each week.

The weekly cutoffs are as follows:

Wildcard week: trim to 4,000 teams (all advance if we have less entries)

Divisional week: trim to 2,000 teams

Championship week: trim to 1,000 teams

The contest winner will be the team, of those still alive after Championship Week, which scores the most total points in the Super Bowl.

In the first three rounds, ONLY YOUR TWO HIGHEST-SCORING PLAYERS FROM EACH NFL TEAM WILL COUNT TOWARD YOUR SCORE. In the Super Bowl, ALL your players count toward your score.

EXAMPLE. suppose you have three Colts on your team: Manning, Addai, and Wayne. In the first round of the playoffs, Manning scores 18, Addai 12, and Wayne 14. For this round, only Manning and Wayne would count toward your team's score. Addai's points are wasted. Suppose that the next week, in the divisional playoff, Manning scores 22, Addai 14, and Wayne 7. Then only Manning and Addai (not Wayne) would count toward your score for that week. Finally, if the Colts make the Super Bowl and your team is still alive, then Manning's, Addai's, and Wayne's scores will ALL count toward your score in the Super Bowl.

Also note that, except as noted in the scoring system below (TEs, WRs, and RBs get different numbers of points per reception), positions are irrelevant in all rounds. Positions play no role in determining which players' scores count.
How much more explanation did you need to understand the rules?

I think it's a very interesting and strategic format.Everyone had to read and understand the same rules. The salient points were in all caps and sometimes even bolded and in larger fonts. Not sure I'd want to make a post about the format being the problem if I clearly had not taken the time to even try to understand the ground rules of the contest I was entering, even if it is a freebie.It's no doubt a tough contest to advance in while maintaining a modicum of a chance to place high enough to win any kind of a prize, but it's eminently fair to all.That said, if you had ANY players going in week one, you're better than 28 teams that had zero. Live and learn, I guess....

Last edited by a moderator:
Survived week one, and if somehow it ends up Bears vs. Ravens, I have a shot. Haven't seen many load up on those two teams so you know who I'm pulling for.

Wes Welker $23 0.00

Jamaal Charles $16 16.20

Joe Flacco $23 27.85

Ray Rice $20 18.40

Derrick Mason $15 2.10

Billy Cundiff $11 12.00

Baltimore Ravens $8 13.00

Nick Folk $9 6.00

Jay Cutler $20 0.00

Matt Forte $16 0.00

Greg Olsen $9 0.00

Robbie Gould $11 0.00

Chicago Bears $10 0.00

Aaron Rodgers $29 27.40

Greg Jennings $19 1.80

James Jones $11 7.90

:lmao: You should have re-read before the contest

Weak.
:lmao: This is at least year 3 of the same rules.

where do I go to make my changes for round 2?

where do I go to make my changes for round 2?
:golfclap:

Wait...now the players from Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and New England all of a sudden count :boxing:

This rapidly changing assortment of teams is totally messing with my strategy :lmao:

:thumbup:

-QG

Wait...now the players from Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and New England all of a sudden count :blackdot: This rapidly changing assortment of teams is totally messing with my strategy :lmao: :suds: -QG
Doesn't matter to my team--most of them won't beat the points I'm carrying over from what Brees scored last week.

Randomly clicking through teams that missed the cut was saddening. I overestimated too many of these people as competent.

On one hand, I wished I had loaded up with more players from the teams that will likely be in the Super Bowl. On the other hand, the iterations where I did that early on didn't include guys like Hasslebeck and Lynch.

On one hand, I wished I had loaded up with more players from the teams that will likely be in the Super Bowl. On the other hand, the iterations where I did that early on didn't include guys like Hasslebeck and Lynch.
If there's a 7-Seahawk guy out there he's looking :goodposting: right now.-QG

If there's a 7-Seahawk guy out there he's looking :excited: right now.-QG
I agree...unless the Hawks get crushed this weekend. Which is why I was apprehensive to load up on a particular team.

38% with 6 players going (brutalized by NO/Indy losses). Looks like the cut line is predicted in the vicinity of 110. As I've got 13 players combined from NE-GB, pretty happy to be in striking distance in this round.

Entry 100488 This entry is still alive. 18 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Tom Brady $34 0.00 BenJarvus Green-Ellis $17 0.00 Rashard Mendenhall $18 0.00 Heath Miller $11 0.00 Jamaal Charles $16 16.20 Leonard Pope $2 0.00 Baltimore Ravens $8 13.00 Mark Sanchez $16 9.05 Santonio Holmes $13 8.60 Roddy White $23 0.00 Jay Cutler $20 0.00 Earl Bennett $9 0.00 Chicago Bears $10 0.00 Mike Williams $8 17.80 Olindo Mare $6 12.00 Reggie Bush $11 7.40 Robert Meachem $18 5.90 Donald Driver $10 10.60
Here's your top dog for this week. No chance of winning any money.

What's the easiest way to find our team? I don't have it linked and I don't see it anywhere on the main page or contest page.

What's the easiest way to find our team? I don't have it linked and I don't see it anywhere on the main page or contest page.
go to week P@ information and scroll down to find contest, I believe on Tuesday. Then use team number to check scoring.

With the way the WC Round fell, if I make it through this week, next week I'll only count 4 scores out of 8 players (unless Hass makes it through). Not excited about having to avg about 20 ppp to get to 80 to have a chance to advance to the Super Bowl.

Doug, any chance you can still find some time to throw us a querier? TIA

go to week P@ information and scroll down to find contest, I believe on Tuesday. Then use team number to check scoring.
If you don't know your team #, there is a link on the weekly results page that will take you to it.
1185. Team 106218 | 82.3 | 122 | 240 141 125 114 101 67 Betting heavily on either the Steelers or Pats to make it, but only team I have left in the NFC is the Seahawks with 2 players. Honestly, the best outcome for me right now would be a NEP vs SEA superbowl, as I would have 5 players going from that.

Doug,

Very curious about the sim. Can you share the standard deviation info (quote from the sim):

"The standard deviation of each player's distribution was computed from historical averages for players at that position with similar projections. For example, if a running back is projected with 14 points, then his standard deviation will be 8 points, because historically RBs who were projected at 14 points have, as a group, had a standard deviation of about 8 points."

Thanks!

Have a Packers / Steelers SB entry with a slim chance of getting there. Without any Patriots rostered, will need a big J E T S, jets jets jets win tomorrow.

Haven't seen anyone else post GB & PIT as their $ shot. Must not be very popular. :towelwave:

Users who are viewing this thread