What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

3rd Official Free For All Chess Tournament- Round 6 Posted (2 Viewers)

Just coming across this thread. I'll play if you still need people. If Abraham wanted to try to run through a quick game for Round 1 I'd be up for that, otherwise can join in for Round 2. My Chess Time username is also andyjayhawker.
Terrific! Abraham, you're welcome to play andyjayhawker right now. Otherwise, you both get one point going into round 2. Up to you, let me know.

ETA- If you guys do play, andyjayhawker is white.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know how to clear the recent games lost? Slows my phone down and crashes sometimes
We do not have a way to clear everything out of your account. If you would like to start over and use the same email / username you would need to do the following:

Go into the account detail screen and change your current username to something random. Then change the email to something random.

Logout

Create a new account with the user name and email you had originally.

shuke said:
Sand said:
Centre Game opening, castled on opposite sides.
joffer said:
That backwards pawn on an open file was going to fall eventually.
Are you guys speaking English?
I love shuke's "I have no idea what you're talking about" shtick.
I only started playing recently. Don't know anything about any type of strategy. I just move the pieces around and see what happens.

I thought I had a good attack laid out against Kutta and then just stupidly gave him my queen.

shuke said:
Sand said:
joffer said:
I only started playing recently. Don't know anything about any type of strategy. I just move the pieces around and see what happens.

I thought I had a good attack laid out against Kutta and then just stupidly gave him my queen.
You did have a good thing going. Was a really interesting game until the queen incident. Even after dropping the knight early you came back strong.

shuke said:
Sand said:
joffer said:

Was this another toilet move?

joffer said:
Joffer v AAA (1-0)

We had a decent match going and I made a colossal blunder that killed my chances and ruined the game.
gg. That backwards pawn on an open file was going to fall eventually.
Open file I get and I know which pawn you are talking about but what does "backwards" mean? And why was it inevitable (ignoring my huge blunder)?

Just trying to learn. Obviously there's no learning for what I did - just stupid.

joffer said:
Joffer v AAA (1-0)

We had a decent match going and I made a colossal blunder that killed my chances and ruined the game.
Open file I get and I know which pawn you are talking about but what does "backwards" mean? And why was it inevitable (ignoring my huge blunder)?

Just trying to learn. Obviously there's no learning for what I did - just stupid.
Backward pawn

HTH

shuke said:
Sand said:
joffer said:

This was your first problem.

joffer said:
Joffer v AAA (1-0)

Backward pawnHTH
Thanks. Makes sense - in this game we both had 5 pawns left - Joffer had two isolated pawns and I had the two together but one was backwards. I realize it's tough to say without knowing more about board position but which is preferable? And if I'm in this situation again should I just try to force a trade of pawns (if possible)?

joffer said:
Joffer v AAA (1-0)

Backward pawnHTH
Thanks. Makes sense - in this game we both had 5 pawns left - Joffer had two isolated pawns and I had the two together but one was backwards. I realize it's tough to say without knowing more about board position but which is preferable? And if I'm in this situation again should I just try to force a trade of pawns (if possible)?
Connected pawns are usually better than isolated, unless the isolated pawn is passed. In this game, I had an overall positional advantage because your king had a hard time finding a safe home. It hurt your development.

joffer said:
Joffer v AAA (1-0)

Backward pawnHTH
Connected pawns are usually better than isolated, unless the isolated pawn is passed. In this game, I had an overall positional advantage because your king had a hard time finding a safe home. It hurt your development.
Position of my king was why I knew I'd lose but let me ask this. In that situation is it best to just start trading pieces so you can eventually use your king in attack or is it better to find a safe place for him? The latter was my thinking and why I made that move to kind of protect him but left the pawn unprotected.

Sorry for what I assume are stupid questions.

joffer said:
Joffer v AAA (1-0)

Open file I get and I know which pawn you are talking about but what does "backwards" mean? And why was it inevitable (ignoring my huge blunder)?Just trying to learn. Obviously there's no learning for what I did - just stupid.
Backward pawnHTH
Position of my king was why I knew I'd lose but let me ask this. In that situation is it best to just start trading pieces so you can eventually use your king in attack or is it better to find a safe place for him? The latter was my thinking and why I made that move to kind of protect him but left the pawn unprotected.Sorry for what I assume are stupid questions.
I didn't see the game, but if your king isn't protected very well it is usually a good idea to try to trade pieces and reach an endgame where it doesn't matter as much. Once there are just a few pieces left on the board, the king becomes a weapon and you actually want him out there in the fight.

Post the game PGN IMO.

If we have another tournament this fall, I might give it another go. Gonna sit this one out though, I'm out of town a lot in the coming weeks/months with a lot of work in-between.

It's kinda nice just observing.

Agree with kutta. General rule to me is if the queens are still on the board, an exposed king is bad. Once the queens come off, every trade makes the king more powerful.

Here it is. I was black - obviously move 20 was just a total brain fart.

1. e4 e5

2. f4 exf4

3. Nf3 d6

4. Bc4 Be6

5. Bxe6 fxe6

6. d4 g5

7. h4 Be7

8. Nxg5 Bxg5

9. Qh5+ Kd7

10. hxg5 e5

11. Qg4+ Kc6

12. d5+ Kb6

13. Nc3 Nd7

14. Qe2 a6

15. Qf2+ c5

16. dxc6+ Kxc6

17. g3 fxg3

18. Qxg3 Ne7

19. Be3 b6

20. O-O-O Kb7

21. Rxd6 Qc7

22. Rh1d1 Ra8d8

23. Qg4 Nf6

24. Rxf6 Rxd1+

25. Qxd1 Nc6

26. Nd5 Qg7

27. Nxb6 h5

28. Qd5 Qc7

29. Rf7 1-0

charvik vs. VA703 (1-0)

kutta vs. shuke in progress

Psychopav vs. ragincajun (1-0)

Joe T vs. timschochet (0-1)

joffer vs, AAABatteries (1-0)

Unialias vs. EddieSpaghetti (1-0)

nysfl2 vs. Wyld Stallions (1-0)

Sand vs. Bogart (1-0)

Abraham- 1 point bye

andyjayhawker- 1 point bye

Since Abraham and andyjayhawker are both late arrivals, and since their game never got started and all other games this round are completed, I'm going to give them byes and move to round 2. Any objections?

joffer said:
Agree with kutta. General rule to me is if the queens are still on the board, an exposed king is bad. Once the queens come off, every trade makes the king more powerful.
I think GM Andy Soltis is the one who came up with the rule about bringing your king out once the opponent has 13 pawns or less of piece value on the board. IOW Q+R = 14 pawns, don't bring him out. Rook + 2 minor pieces = 11 pawns, bring him out.

GM Kaufman says that kings have the equivalent fighting value of 4 pawns, which makes them more valuable than the minor pieces in the endgame.

AAABatteries said:
Not to pile on, but I'd say move 11 was the beginning of the end there.

AAABatteries said:
Not to pile on, but I'd say move 11 was the beginning of the end there.
Probably - in my mind I felt like my line of pawns blocked off his Q and R - I felt he had me pinned down on that side and eventually would promote the pawn. But I suck so :shrug:

Here is round 2:

Round 2 (1st team is white)

andyjayhawker (1) vs. Psychopav (1)

joffer (1) vs. Sand (1)

Abraham (1) vs. Charvik (1)

Unialias (1) vs. Nysfl2 (1)

kutta (1) vs. timschochet (1)

Wyld Stallyns (0) vs. rajincajun (0)

VA703 (0) vs. Eddie Spaghetti (0)

Joe T (0) vs. Bogart (0)

Shuke (0) vs. AAA Batteries (0)

joffer said:
But doesn't it just make both kings more powerful? Where does the advantage come from?

Here is round 2:

joffer (1) vs. Sand (1)

Joe T (0) vs. Bogart (0)

Why are you giving Kutta a point already?

joffer said:
I think GM Andy Soltis is the one who came up with the rule about bringing your king out once the opponent has 13 pawns or less of piece value on the board. IOW Q+R = 14 pawns, don't bring him out. Rook + 2 minor pieces = 11 pawns, bring him out.

GM Kaufman says that kings have the equivalent fighting value of 4 pawns, which makes them more valuable than the minor pieces in the endgame.
My favorite chess axiom ever...."the king is a fighting piece" - Steinitz. Of course, bringing the king out to fight a little early can lead to disaster :bag:

joffer said:
But doesn't it just make both kings more powerful? Where does the advantage come from?
if your king is better placed than your opponent (in a better square, more centered usually) that's where your advantage lies.

joffer said:

My favorite chess axiom ever...."the king is a fighting piece" - Steinitz. Of course, bringing the king out to fight a little early can lead to disaster :bag:
One of my personal favorite games....Short-Timman 1991. :wub: the wandering king

Here is round 2:

joffer (1) vs. Sand (1)

Joe T (0) vs. Bogart (0)

im sorry- based on your comment I thought this game was over. Am I wrong? If so I apologize. Round 2 won't start until your game is finished.

Here is round 2:

joffer (1) vs. Sand (1)

Joe T (0) vs. Bogart (0)

im sorry- based on your comment I thought this game was over. Am I wrong? If so I apologize. Round 2 won't start until your game is finished.
Still fighting, but it shouldn't be long.

OK, so the update is that Round 2 will not begin until the game that Kutta and Shuke are playing has been completed. If Kutta wins, then we will go immediately to Round 2, and use the pairings which I have already posted (and which are also available in the OP.) If Shuke wins or if there is a draw, then I will redo the pairings. Sorry about the confusion.

Too late to get it?

Somehow missed this so far, but would love to participate.

p.s. I can usually get these games banged out pretty quick.

dancingbones on chesstime, TIA

Users who are viewing this thread