What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

C. Portis knee problems (1 Viewer)

Good news and bad news:

Clinton Portis completed a "regular practice" on Monday and is believed to be close to fully recovered from his lingering bout with knee tendinitis.Coach Joe Gibbs says Portis will "start off and he and Ladell (Betts) will take the load." Indications are that an early-season carry split is likely between Betts and Portis. That makes Portis a risky RB2 play vs. Miami in Week 1.Source: redskins.com

Here's the full article:

Running back Clinton Portis took "regular practice" work on Monday, according to head coach Joe Gibbs. It's a sign that Portis is close to fully recovered from his lingering bout with knee tendonitis.Asked what the plan is for Portis in terms of Sunday's season opener against Miami, Gibbs replied: "He'll start off and he and Ladell [betts] will take the load."Gibbs reiterated that he had hoped to get Portis some carries during preseason."It was a situation we had to work with and I think we did the right thing," Gibbs said. "I think the medical team wanted to get it calmed down, and preseason was the time to do it. I didn't particularly like that we had to do that, but it's what we had to do."Without Portis and with Betts getting limited carries, the Redskins struggled to run the ball in preseason, averaging just 3.2 yards per carry."We were certainly hoping to rush the ball better in preseason," Gibbs said. "We have to do a better job of that. It'll be a tough week to get that done, because Miami is very tough and very physical against the run."

Redskins | Portis expects to play in Week 1Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:13:29 -0700Ryan O'Halloran, of the Washington Times, reports Washington Redskins RB Clinton Portis (knee) expects to play during Week 1 after supposedly going through all of the work during practice Monday, Sept. 3.
Nice find. More of this.
Maybe one of you Portis owners should take a crowbar to one of Betts knees.
Less of this.
:goodposting:

Here's the full article:

Running back Clinton Portis took "regular practice" work on Monday, according to head coach Joe Gibbs. It's a sign that Portis is close to fully recovered from his lingering bout with knee tendonitis.Asked what the plan is for Portis in terms of Sunday's season opener against Miami, Gibbs replied: "He'll start off and he and Ladell [betts] will take the load."Gibbs reiterated that he had hoped to get Portis some carries during preseason."It was a situation we had to work with and I think we did the right thing," Gibbs said. "I think the medical team wanted to get it calmed down, and preseason was the time to do it. I didn't particularly like that we had to do that, but it's what we had to do."Without Portis and with Betts getting limited carries, the Redskins struggled to run the ball in preseason, averaging just 3.2 yards per carry."We were certainly hoping to rush the ball better in preseason," Gibbs said. "We have to do a better job of that. It'll be a tough week to get that done, because Miami is very tough and very physical against the run."
Week one prediction: Portis 90 rush, 15 rec 1td Betts 45 rush 20 rec 0td

I took CP at 3.02 in a 12 teamer. We start 2 rbs and a flex. I also have sjax, peterson and julius jones. I am a little concerned about portis, but think he will pan out and end up being a solid #2 rb. I like peterson alot too, so I do have options just in case. JJ will be the main guy in dallas imo too.

CP will go down as one of the biggest fantasy SOD's.1,800 total/18 TD's, and that's being cautious.
Why, the running game really started clicking mid-late last year once they became comfortable with the new offense.This offenses running game is going to be eerily similar to the KC offense of a couple years ago.Portis is a lot more talented then Holmes was and will be putting up similar rushing numbers. He won't have the receiving numbers Holmes did, but even without those 1,800/18 doesn't seem very unrealistic.

CP will go down as one of the biggest fantasy SOD's.1,800 total/18 TD's, and that's being cautious.
Why, the running game really started clicking mid-late last year once they became comfortable with the new offense.
You could be right but some feel the running game began clicking last year once they threw the uncomfortable new offense out the window and got back to Joe Gibbs football - a power running game. The schedule also eased up a bit late in the year.Not to take anything away from Betts but it will be interesting to watch this year.

I dont understand. People have been speculating all preseason about Portis' health and Betts' role and we get our first definitive news for 14 pages and nobody seems to care...

Portis, who missed all four exhibition games with knee tendinitis, practiced yesterday for the second time in more than a month, but remains Sunday's starter, Gibbs said. Samuels will also start and starting left guard Pete Kendall, acquired from the New York Jets late in camp, practiced with Samuels yesterday for the first time. He and Samuels must bond quickly to protect quarterback Jason Campbell's blind side against Miami's quick and physical defense, which ranked fourth overall last year.The scenario is not ideal, but Gibbs is heartened by the fact that none of the injuries suffered by the offense ruled a key player out for a stretch of the regular season. To expect them to play at peak form Sunday may be unfair, however, given their extended absences. Portis in particular could have his workload closely monitored with backup Ladell Betts coming off a big season, and teams generally struggle to run the ball against Miami."I think we did the right thing," Gibbs said of Portis's layoff. "The medical team felt like if we were going to get that thing calmed down, now was the time to do it. Is that what you like? No. I didn't particularly like the fact that that's what we had to do, but we felt like that was the best thing to do to try to get him healthy."We'll just have to work our way through this. It's not ideal, it's certainly not what you wanted, but it's what we're faced with and we thought that was the best way for us to go."As for how Sunday's rotation will work between the tailbacks, the tenor of the game, Portis's comfort, stamina and effectiveness will all be factors. Portis will "start off, and he and Ladell will take the load," Gibbs said."We'll just see how it goes." Some around the league believe Portis will need several weeks to get into form, so Betts, coming off a 1,000-yard season, seems likely to be used frequently."I'm ready to go," Betts said. "I'm in shape. I've been through the whole training camp and preseason, so I'm ready to go."

Thanks, Righetti.

This is why I think Portis is so underrated this year. He's already starting Week 1, he's a top 10, if not top 5 RB when healthy, and he's still very, very young.

When I look through threads like this, I make judgments based on which side is throwing out facts, and which side is throwing out conjecture. It really seems like the Betts owners are grasping at straws here.

Of course, I'm obviously inviting someone to prove me wrong, and I hope they do.

Thanks, Righetti.This is why I think Portis is so underrated this year. He's already starting Week 1, he's a top 10, if not top 5 RB when healthy, and he's still very, very young.When I look through threads like this, I make judgments based on which side is throwing out facts, and which side is throwing out conjecture. It really seems like the Betts owners are grasping at straws here.Of course, I'm obviously inviting someone to prove me wrong, and I hope they do.
You dont think the RBBC (if only for the first few weeks) is a bit worrisome?

As for how Sunday's rotation will work between the tailbacks, the tenor of the game, Portis's comfort, stamina and effectiveness will all be factors. Portis will "start off, and he and Ladell will take the load," Gibbs said."We'll just see how it goes." Some around the league believe Portis will need several weeks to get into form, so Betts, coming off a 1,000-yard season, seems likely to be used frequently."I'm ready to go," Betts said. "I'm in shape. I've been through the whole training camp and preseason, so I'm ready to go."
Sounds to me like we might see a 50/50 ish split for Week 1 gradually easing into more carries for Portis if he's proven healthy.... perhaps a 70/30 split would be my guess. If that is the case it might be a good chance to try to deal for Portis around week 3 if the split is still fairly even.

Thanks, Righetti.This is why I think Portis is so underrated this year. He's already starting Week 1, he's a top 10, if not top 5 RB when healthy, and he's still very, very young.When I look through threads like this, I make judgments based on which side is throwing out facts, and which side is throwing out conjecture. It really seems like the Betts owners are grasping at straws here.Of course, I'm obviously inviting someone to prove me wrong, and I hope they do.
You dont think the RBBC (if only for the first few weeks) is a bit worrisome?
Not while drafting him at RB19-25. Personally, I don't feel it's going to be a "few" weeks. I think it'll be two at most while Clinton gets back on his feet. Washington just doesn't have a history of using RBBC, and when healthy, Portis is just plain and simple the better running back.I think "RBBC" will be used as a motto for Washington throughout the year, but I think it's going to be the same 70/30 split every other team uses (including SD, StL, etc...).So, in my opinion anyway, you're asking me if it's worrisome that he'll be 60/40 or 50/50 for two weeks. If I can't survive RB 15-20 production out of a player I drafted...well, at RB20, then I shouldn't be playing this game.

As for how Sunday's rotation will work between the tailbacks, the tenor of the game, Portis's comfort, stamina and effectiveness will all be factors. Portis will "start off, and he and Ladell will take the load," Gibbs said."We'll just see how it goes." Some around the league believe Portis will need several weeks to get into form, so Betts, coming off a 1,000-yard season, seems likely to be used frequently."I'm ready to go," Betts said. "I'm in shape. I've been through the whole training camp and preseason, so I'm ready to go."
Sounds to me like we might see a 50/50 ish split for Week 1 gradually easing into more carries for Portis if he's proven healthy.... perhaps a 70/30 split would be my guess. If that is the case it might be a good chance to try to deal for Portis around week 3 if the split is still fairly even.
Here's the full write-up of Gibbs' Monday presser from Extremeskins.com re Portis and Betts:
On Clinton Portis' (RB, #26) practice:"He had a regular practice day."On his sense of the running game:"I think it doesn't matter. We were certainly hoping to rush the ball better than we did in preseason. We have to do a better job of that. It's going to be a tough week to get it done because Miami is fourth against the rush I think and very physical. Obviously we were disappointed and we don't like what happened in preseason and we want to run the football."On why he is comfortable with Clinton Portis (RB, #26) playing full speed on Sunday:"I didn't say I was comfortable. What I am is that was the situation we had to work with and I think we did the right thing. I think the medical team felt like if we were going to get that thing to calm down that now was the time to do it. Is that what you like? No. I didn't particularly like the fact that that's what we had to do, but we felt like that was the best thing to do to try to get him healthy. We'll just have to work our way through this. It's not ideal; certainly not what you wanted, but it's what we were faced with. We felt like that was the best way for us to go."On the game plan for Clinton Portis (RB, #26):"He'll start off. Him and Ladell (Betts, RB, #46) will take the load. We'll just see how it goes."

I picked up Portis in the fourth round and couldn't be happier (had 2 1st rounders from a trade and have SJAX and Alexander also). Two weeks ago Coach Gibbs was on Redskins radio talking about last season. He was asked about the running game and said that the team switched running philosophies the last part of the season... the same time Betts started running well. It wasn't that Betts runs better behind the Redskins blocking scheme, it's that they fixed their blocking schemes at the end of last season. Expect that to transfer over to this season and for Portis to have a big year. I am a Redskins fan and I can tell you now that if Portis would have been healthy last year and the same scheme would have been in place... HUGE HUGE numbers. Betts had a few 15 to 20 yard runs that would have been 40 to 50+ yard runs for Portis. Betts just doesn't have the wheels Portis does.... it's a fact. If you have the chance, get Portis now before the season starts...

FWIW.. I'm at work listening to Casey Rabach, O-Lineman of the Redskins, on Sirius.

When Pat Kirwin & Tim Ryan asked who will carry the load this week..

...Rabach says Betts will this week. he also says that Portis will get some carries and see where he is in his progress. Says that if his knee holds up and he gets into football shape, then CP will see more reps and his load will increase.

EDIT:

also...Pat and Tim asked if Portis was practicing ...Rabach said "not really."

when asked who would be getting the lionshare of the carries ...Rabach says he suspects it will be Betts.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW.. I'm at work listening to Casey Rabach, O-Lineman of the Redskins, on Sirius.

...Rabach says Betts will this week. he also says that Portis will get some carries and see where he is in his progress. Says that if his knee holds up and he gets into football shape, then CP will see more reps and his load will increase.
are we to infer that "this week" means practicing this week, or this week's game?

are we to infer that "this week" means practicing this week, or this week's game?
I would doubt that. OTOH, a lineman isn't bound to truthfully indicate a player's injury status, and I could see Rabach throwing out a smoke screen on this one to try to create doubt in the Dolphins as to which RB they'll be facing. :towelwave:

And hence the decisions begin :towelwave:

He was talking about this weeks game. also.. Pat and Tim asked if Portis was practicing ...Rabach said "not really."

when asked who would be getting the lionshare of the carries, Rabach says he suspects it will be Betts.

put however much stock you want into it. :towelwave:

He was talking about this weeks game. also.. Pat and Tim asked if Portis was practicing ...Rabach said "not really."

when asked who would be getting the lionshare of the carries, Rabach says he suspects it will be Betts.

put however much stock you want into it. :towelwave:
Good info. I'll be interested to see what happens during practice this week.

This was the one reason why I was nervous about drafting Portis. If he was hurt and out then I can start Betts with confidence. But with this news who the hell knows what is going to happen. So I cant start Betts or Portis and Id have to start my RB3 who happens to be Peterson.

This was the one reason why I was nervous about drafting Portis. If he was hurt and out then I can start Betts with confidence. But with this news who the hell knows what is going to happen. So I cant start Betts or Portis and Id have to start my RB3 who happens to be Peterson.
I don't expect it to be this way every week.

What do all of your Redskins homers think of the Portis stuff...how will this play out as the season progresses? I just want your opinions, and don't need proof of anything.

Thanks in advance.

put however much stock you want into it. :shock:
The "not really" part doesn't bother me, since nobody has really practiced much this week. Monday is a light day and Tuesday is a day off. Thursday and Friday are the big days, IIRC.

I agree, a 70/30 split would be just fine with me for most of the season, especially if you want a more likely scenario of Portis being healthy by season's end. Assuming the Skins rush the ball an average of 30 times a game and 17 of those go to Portis, he'll certainly be worth more than what his current ADP is going at.

Seems to be alot of wishful thinking from Portis owners in this thread. The news is anything but spectacular of his situation, sharing carries is :lmao:

But starting is good..

Ill be cautiously optimistic as I start him as a RB2 in a 16 team league. :lmao:

I agree, a 70/30 split would be just fine with me for most of the season, especially if you want a more likely scenario of Portis being healthy by season's end. Assuming the Skins rush the ball an average of 30 times a game and 17 of those go to Portis, he'll certainly be worth more than what his current ADP is going at.
70% of 30 carries is 21, not 17.

Thanks for the update One. I have Portis, Green, and Maroney - I think I'll take the wait and see approach with Portis this week and see if Rabach was right. If he wasn't and I miss out on a big week, so be it.

What did we expect for week 1??? I think it would be far fetched for them to just turn 180 and say IT'S A MIRACLE! HE'S NOW 100% HEALTHY AND WILL TAKE HIS FULL LOAD RIGHT OF THE BAT, YAY!!! Of course they're going to ease him in a bit, probably week 1 and 2.....after that, assuming the tendinitis responds well to a few cc's of cortisone, which it always does, he'll be the man.

Count me not worried.

What did we expect for week 1??? I think it would be far fetched for them to just turn 180 and say IT'S A MIRACLE! HE'S NOW 100% HEALTHY AND WILL TAKE HIS FULL LOAD RIGHT OF THE BAT, YAY!!! Of course they're going to ease him in a bit, probably week 1 and 2.....after that, assuming the tendinitis responds well to a few cc's of cortisone, which it always does, he'll be the man.Count me not worried.
According to alot of people in this thread, many expected him to play and get most of the carries in week 1 because he was just taking off the preseason because he didnt want to play then.

70% of 30 carries is 21, not 17.
Just estimating, like the 30, it was just an estimate. Thanks anyway, though.

What did we expect for week 1??? I think it would be far fetched for them to just turn 180 and say IT'S A MIRACLE! HE'S NOW 100% HEALTHY AND WILL TAKE HIS FULL LOAD RIGHT OF THE BAT, YAY!!! Of course they're going to ease him in a bit, probably week 1 and 2.....after that, assuming the tendinitis responds well to a few cc's of cortisone, which it always does, he'll be the man.Count me not worried.
According to alot of people in this thread, many expected him to play and get most of the carries in week 1 because he was just taking off the preseason because he didnt want to play then.
Sure, and I am one of those that think that was at least PART of the deal for sure......however, the drawback of avoiding preseason and camp is that you're not going to just jump right in week 1 like you've been going full from day 1. So this is a natural outcome at this stage in my mind.

I agree that we Portis owners and supporters can't expect a big week 1 from him... its going to take about a month for him to be at full-speed and in game form. After the bye week (Week 4); we should have a True Portis back in action. Man, it was scary watching Portis in that Saunder Offense last yr, and thats when he was hurt; soon we'll have a totally rested Beast. Trust me, when both are 100% healthy... its Portis' ball until he says overwise.

L Betts big a nice job last yr w/ a 4.7 YPC... but he fumbled 6 times and 3 were lost;

In fact hes fumbled 9 times in the past 2 yrs with only 334 carries... thats awful.

And Betts has not been lightin it up this pre-season either (2.4 YPC on 10 carries)

EDIT:

also...Pat and Tim asked if Portis was practicing ...Rabach said "not really."

when asked who would be getting the lionshare of the carries ...Rabach says he suspects it will be Betts.
This could easily be a smokescreen. I'm sure the Dolphins want to know who is starting, also. Just sayin'

What do all of your Redskins homers think of the Portis stuff...how will this play out as the season progresses? I just want your opinions, and don't need proof of anything.
Portis will get all the carries he can handle, because the coaching staff knows he's a better RB than Betts, including being a better blocker. If there were no injuries all season Portis would probably get 2 plays for every 1 Betts gets. Betts will get every 3rd or 4th drive, and some (but not all) 3rd down work. That's without injuries.Neither one is exactly immune to injury, so who gets hurt, when, and how badly is anyone's guess. There's no insight into that.

We are in EXACTLY the same situation: Portis/Betts at RB2, and Peterson as RB3.I'm definitely leaning Portis right now, but practice info could change that...

Portis will get all the carries he can handle, because the coaching staff knows he's a better RB than Betts, including being a better blocker. If there were no injuries all season Portis would probably get 2 plays for every 1 Betts gets. Betts will get every 3rd or 4th drive, and some (but not all) 3rd down work. That's without injuries.Neither one is exactly immune to injury, so who gets hurt, when, and how badly is anyone's guess. There's no insight into that.
Thanks for your insight...which I pretty much agree with.

yeah, i expected him to get about 15-18 touches in week 1. sounds like he might get fewer, depending on his conditioning. we'll see what happens, but i see this as no reason to panic. he just needs to get in game shape. the beauty with portis is that he could easily bust off a 50-yd TD on the first drive.....everybody knew he was going to split carries with betts - the real questions have always been: 1) what will the split be early in the season? 2) how long before portis is fully up to speed? 3) what will the split be once portis is back to 100% physical condition. we don't really know much about any of these questions yet. but i'd be that: 1) portis and betts have a 50-50 split this week, 2) portis is 100% ready in 2-3 weeks, 3) the split is at least 70-30 once portis is healthy.

The fact that Portis is the unquestionable numbero uno for week one speaks volumes about the coaching staff's opinion of both players. Not a 1a and 1b type of thing here. Portis isn't even fully healthy and there is no consideration of making Betts the week 1 starter. I think the coach see quite a difference in their talent levels.

The fact that Portis is the unquestionable numbero uno for week one speaks volumes about the coaching staff's opinion of both players. Not a 1a and 1b type of thing here. Portis isn't even fully healthy and there is no consideration of making Betts the week 1 starter. I think the coach see quite a difference in their talent levels.
I think this is the feeling of many people. And if Portis is feeling good, he will play and get the majority of the touches (including week 1) seeing as how he is the Redskins most dangerous weapon and gives them the best chance to win.Portis is one of the rare rb's in the league who is an every down back with true home run ability every time he touches the ball. If he is not winded druing the game, he will easily see 15-20 touches in week 1 and week 2 at the latest.

What a lot of people forget is until last year Betts has a much worse injury history than Portis

Betts-2002-2005

Missed 16 games (I believe these are from injury rather than just being benched)

Portis- 2002-2005

Missed 4 games

Also it is only pre season, but Betts has not looked good at all.

yeah, i expected him to get about 15-18 touches in week 1. sounds like he might get fewer, depending on his conditioning.
Portis had 12 touches in last year's opener after almost no preseason, less practice than this year, an injury that would have kept him out of games had they mattered, not starting week one, and sitting out week 2 for some more rest. This year, he's played about 5 less preseason downs, practice a little more, has an injury that the coaching staff said he'd play had they been regular season games, and has been named the starter.Is he going to get 30 touches? No. But, I see no problem with predicting 15-18, maybe even a little more.

given betts' fumble history, portis should be good for AT LEAST the goalline opportunties.

Users who are viewing this thread