What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (4 Viewers)

Have yet to read a single negative thing about the way Alec Ogletree plays. Peter King recently...

The underclass inside linebacker from Georgia would be a clear top-10 pick with a clean resume. But he was suspended the first four games of last season for failing an offseason drug test, and then came the news Saturday night, via ProFootballTalk.com, that Ogletree recently was pinched for driving while intoxicated.

Ogletree and agent Pat Dye were smart to come out and beat the police blotter to the punch. As for the damage done by the arrest, Ogletree, who is a speed demon for an inside player, the kind of player who, if right, would be a perfect fit as a rare three-down inside linebacker for any team, has to convince teams they shouldn't be worried about a player who has tested positive, been suspended, and gotten a DWI in the span of about nine months.
I could give two craps about the DUI and drug thing in college. Think the Browns have to consider him at #6.
His diagnosis of run plays is very inconsistent. He is a much better fit in a 4-3, in a 3-4 playing inside he is at too much risk of being continually swallowed up in plays. We already have too many ILB's that do that.

Kruger seems like a good fit. how does this contract compare to others at the position?
I expected $10+ mil, so, not unhappy about the signing. Just don't expect a difference maker. I am more optimistic about Bryant than Kruger, actually.

'MAC_32 said:
Kruger seems like a good fit. how does this contract compare to others at the position?
I expected $10+ mil, so, not unhappy about the signing. Just don't expect a difference maker. I am more optimistic about Bryant than Kruger, actually.
Also expected $10M+. Got him at a decent price. He better be a difference maker at OLB, though. Just heard that Bryant is super-smart, Ivy League grad. Love that!Ain't it funny? We're back to Mangini's systems.

The 49er's just signed Phil Dawson. Would definitely be great to see Dawson get a ring – I think a lot of Browns fans will be rooting for the Niners when the 2013 playoffs roll around.

might be a bit early for this, but i'm getting the sense the Browns are trying to put themselves in a position to trade down.

might be a bit early for this, but i'm getting the sense the Browns are trying to put themselves in a position to trade down.
I agree. They really want a round two pick. Move back to the 7-14 range at that price, do it. No one offers, take bpa.

I also think the team is looking to trade down, if they can get a 2nd round pick. I would be ok with it, just don't think it will happen.

The 49er's just signed Phil Dawson. Would definitely be great to see Dawson get a ring – I think a lot of Browns fans will be rooting for the Niners when the 2013 playoffs roll around.
Thank god......I want him get that ring, the man deserves it.

I agree. They really want a round two pick. Move back to the 7-14 range at that price, do it. No one offers, take bpa.
Same here. The more I look at it the more I really like Jarvis Jones if he is indeed fully medically cleared. It's funny though as I was watching some videos on NFL.com about the draft. They were discussing the needs of the Steelers and Baldy said if there was ever a player in the draft whose skill set was destined to be wearing black and gold that it was Jones. I do like the moves we've made for the defensive transition and would love to see Jones be a Brown come April. Let someone fall in love with Geno and let us move down a spots but only if we can get him. Another name I heard tossed around was Warmack. I know traditional wisdom says that you don't take a guard that high, but this guy said this is the one guy in the draft that seems to be a lock for the hall of fame. Obviously it's way too early to go there and I wish I could remember who said it. I would agree though that if we added Warmack it would arguably be one of the best O-lines in the game. Curious what you guys think. Bear with me if this is already discussed. Not local any more so WKNR is all I get for Browns news. :banned:

I still want Milliner to pair up with Haden, just like I have wanted the top CB for like the past 3-4 drafts...
I would not complain about Millner either if he was the pick. That's a nice thing about what we have done in FA so far. It leaves us plenty of options.

Heard any talk of a "competition" at Center? Of course not -- Mack is the man there and they're satisfied. Chudz reiterated the QB competition, though. Means they're not happy with the weed-man. They might just take Geno. Of course, if they do it's not just to create a competition. You can't spend that pick for shlts & giggles.

Still want Milliner, but it's not looking likely. They'd have to move up to be sure & I don't think they have the ammo. Trade down is very possible. Maybe Buffalo. Maybe twice. Warmack wold make me happy at #15 or so, but I don't get that vibe. Wonder if the Cowboys would care to trade for a DT...

Same here. The more I look at it the more I really like Jarvis Jones if he is indeed fully medically cleared. It's funny though as I was watching some videos on NFL.com about the draft. They were discussing the needs of the Steelers and Baldy said if there was ever a player in the draft whose skill set was destined to be wearing black and gold that it was Jones. I do like the moves we've made for the defensive transition and would love to see Jones be a Brown come April. Let someone fall in love with Geno and let us move down a spots but only if we can get him. Another name I heard tossed around was Warmack. I know traditional wisdom says that you don't take a guard that high, but this guy said this is the one guy in the draft that seems to be a lock for the hall of fame. Obviously it's way too early to go there and I wish I could remember who said it. I would agree though that if we added Warmack it would arguably be one of the best O-lines in the game. Curious what you guys think. Bear with me if this is already discussed. Not local any more so WKNR is all I get for Browns news. :banned:
Oh, I want Geno. I just don't think it's what we're going to do. If the pick isn't Geno I want Jordan, but I don't think he'll be there. So if Jordan isn't there and we don't want Geno then I am fine with the trade down if it nets us at least a good 2nd round pick. Very deep draft, going to be a 1st round caliber player available there I'm sure.

Heard any talk of a "competition" at Center? Of course not -- Mack is the man there and they're satisfied. Chudz reiterated the QB competition, though. Means they're not happy with the weed-man. They might just take Geno. Of course, if they do it's not just to create a competition. You can't spend that pick for shlts & giggles.
i think they're not happy with Weeden.but i also think they like him better than the other options out there, and they are trying to get teams interested into trading up to take Geno.

So far, Banner et al have filled in a couple holes that they themselves created. We've yet to see this team improve based on overall talent level. In addition to the newly created LB problems, they have lost Cribbs, Watson, and Dawson. It looks like they intend to recoup these through extensive mediocrity.

We entered the off-season needing QB, CB, S. At this point, we still need those, but have less sal-cap space. :thumbup:

So far, Banner et al have filled in a couple holes that they themselves created. We've yet to see this team improve based on overall talent level. In addition to the newly created LB problems, they have lost Cribbs, Watson, and Dawson. It looks like they intend to recoup these through extensive mediocrity. We entered the off-season needing QB, CB, S. At this point, we still need those, but have less sal-cap space. :thumbup:
Don't worry. I've heard that Mike Lombardi is working harder than he ever has!

No, we entered the offseason needing immense help at LB. Other than D'Quell, we did not have a playmaker in our defensive linebacking corp (maybe JMJ, but he is still raw). We got Kruger and Groves, who both have immense experience in the type of attacking 3-4/multi-front defense that Horton will be implementing.

Adding a solid D-lineman like the oakland guy we got is going to help as well.

So far, Banner et al have filled in a couple holes that they themselves created. We've yet to see this team improve based on overall talent level. In addition to the newly created LB problems, they have lost Cribbs, Watson, and Dawson. It looks like they intend to recoup these through extensive mediocrity. We entered the off-season needing QB, CB, S. At this point, we still need those, but have less sal-cap space. :thumbup:
What QB needy teams fixed their problem?I understand why they let Dawson walk, but I also think these guys are under scoring his value in this stadium/division. Losing Cribbs and Watson is a net zero move imho. One way to look at it, we shifted their money and combined with Dawson to get one of Kruger or Bryant. Reserving judgment about the secondary until post draft. Day 2 is deep and rich with talent, we may also have a play at Millner if we don't trade down. Initially, I am not happy about passing on CB in free agency (assuming we don't get Grimes) but if we address the position early in the draft that would be fine.

What QB needy teams fixed their problem?I understand why they let Dawson walk, but I also think these guys are under scoring his value in this stadium/division. Losing Cribbs and Watson is a net zero move imho. One way to look at it, we shifted their money and combined with Dawson to get one of Kruger or Bryant. Reserving judgment about the secondary until post draft. Day 2 is deep and rich with talent, we may also have a play at Millner if we don't trade down. Initially, I am not happy about passing on CB in free agency (assuming we don't get Grimes) but if we address the position early in the draft that would be fine.
So, you think they'll bring in somebody better than Cribbs, Dawson, and Watson? I'll watch for it! :popcorn:

So, you think they'll bring in somebody better than Cribbs, Dawson, and Watson? I'll watch for it! :popcorn:
Cribbs isn't the player he once was. and we all know the new kickoff rules have diminished the importance of te kick returner on general. Watson was pretty mediocre in my opinion, and has had a few concussions. hardly worth paying at his age to stick around. Dawson is obviously one of the best kickers in the league, it will be a challenge to replace him. but the position in general is regarded as one of the least valuable throughout the league.

Cribbs isn't the player he once was. and we all know the new kickoff rules have diminished the importance of te kick returner on general. Watson was pretty mediocre in my opinion, and has had a few concussions. hardly worth paying at his age to stick around. Dawson is obviously one of the best kickers in the league, it will be a challenge to replace him. but the position in general is regarded as one of the least valuable throughout the league.
The rules have hindered Cribbs value on KO returns, but he still plays on all special teams and was our Wildcat guy in addition to being a decent receiver & downfield blocker. All-in-all his value as a "utility player" is hard to match. He may not be superstar level, but he was very good at a lot of things which will take three players to fill.Watson, again, may not be cream of the crop, but that wasn't my point. I was saying that they signed two guys to take his place without upgrading.Finally, we know how good Dawson is. They will not find anyone of comparable quality. Good luck in SF, Phil!

I think Benjamin is better at returns than Cribbs, so we have an internal replacement. The gunner on special teams? We'll see. I don't think Cribbs had any relevant impact on offense though. I was pretty vocal about not liking how they were trying to utilize him. I think he could have been an effective offensive weapon but he needed to be used out of the backfield. A run/pass/catch short passes in space type. The coachign staff tried to use him as a WR and the sporadic wildcat snap in which he was no threat to throw. It was stupid. I don't think the new guys will have any problem upgrading Cribbs' role on offense.I don't think we will bring in a better kicker than Dawson. I think the idea is to bring in other players who will have a greater impact than Dawson would have. Better players at other positions + misc kicker > status quo + Dawson.Similar idea behind Watson. They are not trying to upgrade the TE position by letting him go rather they are trying to improve other areas of the team with the expectation that they have an internal replacement and role players to help fill the void. Better players elsewhere + Cameron/Barnridge/Davis > Status quo + Cameron/Watson/Alex Smith.

exactly. they are shifting money away from areas that they deem not as important towards areas they feel are more critical.

no idea if it's going to actually make them a better team, but it does seem like they are following a very specific plan.

Who will be the QB to complete with Weeden? When are they going to answer that question?
Uhh, by the end of April?
Even then is that really an answer? I like Weeden, just think this team needs to give at least one more year...
Lombardi tore the pick apart last year, I don't think it's any guarantee he's still on the team come the end of the draft. Probably, but wouldn't rule it out.

'rabiddawgs said:
'Bobcat10 said:
'Lrbutler said:
Who will be the QB to complete with Weeden? When are they going to answer that question?
lol...today.Jason Campbell, in what sounds like a 2 year deal.
Yep and here is the linkCampbell signed
Campbell, 31, is entering his ninth NFL season and is only two years older than Weeden. If Campbell beats out Weeden, he would become the 19th starting quarterback for the Browns since they returned to the NFL in 1999. :bag:

'rabiddawgs said:
'Bobcat10 said:
'Lrbutler said:
Campbell, 31, is entering his ninth NFL season and is only two years older than Weeden. If Campbell beats out Weeden, he would become the 19th starting quarterback for the Browns since they returned to the NFL in 1999. :bag:
My god, just trade for Mallett already.

'rabiddawgs said:
'Bobcat10 said:
'Lrbutler said:
Or Flynn....

'rabiddawgs said:
'Bobcat10 said:
'Lrbutler said:
Latest out of NE is that the Pats want a 1st for him. Might just be positioning for a 2nd, but either way – price is too steep. Avoid.

'rabiddawgs said:
'Bobcat10 said:
'Lrbutler said:
Latest out of NE is that the Pats want a 1st for him. Might just be positioning for a 2nd, but either way – price is too steep. Avoid.
I agree, I would be willing to trade a 4th or 5th for a untested backup but that is about it

'rabiddawgs said:
'Bobcat10 said:
'Lrbutler said:
Mallett is a former 1st round talent taken in the 3rd and then given two years to study behind one of the best QB's to ever play and he's not worth a 2nd when your QB is a 30 yo Weeden?

Do you suppose "QB Competition" is just a code for "Don't expect Peyton Manning, so we're giving ourselves a soft landing spot when it all goes to hell-in-a-handbasket"?

'rabiddawgs said:
'Bobcat10 said:
'Lrbutler said:
Mallett is a former 1st round talent taken in the 3rd and then given two years to study behind one of the best QB's to ever play and he's not worth a 2nd when your QB is a 30 yo Weeden?
Nope. :shrug: not the Browns high 2nd anyway, not to me.I'd actually like to see Mallett in the mix, and if they do decide to send off the 2nd for him - fine, I'd support the move and hope it pans out. But honestly, to me, I'd much rather they use that 2nd to address a different position and then upgrade the QB next offseason. We can get through the year with what we have.

'rabiddawgs said:
'Bobcat10 said:
'Lrbutler said:
Nope. :shrug: not the Browns high 2nd anyway, not to me.I'd actually like to see Mallett in the mix, and if they do decide to send off the 2nd for him - fine, I'd support the move and hope it pans out. But honestly, to me, I'd much rather they use that 2nd to address a different position and then upgrade the QB next offseason. We can get through the year with what we have.
Um, Josh Gordon is our high 2nd round pick in this draft. :mellow:

'rabiddawgs said:
'Bobcat10 said:
'Lrbutler said:
Um, Josh Gordon is our high 2nd round pick in this draft. :mellow:
:lmao: :bag: Ha, yeah. Slipped my mind.

'ExaltedOne said:
A 2014 2nd sounds like reasonable value for Mallett if they really like him.
I would agree on that being reasonable value to give up. Unfortunately, Pats could probably get a 2014 2nd for a 2013 3rd and reports are that they would not be willing to part with him for a 3rd at this point.There is also some adverse selection going on here. Given how old Brady is, if the Pats thought Mallett could be a solid starter they would hold on to him, no? And would probably only trade him if they didn't think he was the successor.

I would agree on that being reasonable value to give up. Unfortunately, Pats could probably get a 2014 2nd for a 2013 3rd and reports are that they would not be willing to part with him for a 3rd at this point.There is also some adverse selection going on here. Given how old Brady is, if the Pats thought Mallett could be a solid starter they would hold on to him, no? And would probably only trade him if they didn't think he was the successor.
I agree with this. Tom Brady will be 36 when the season starts. If the Patriots thought Mallett was the answer, they wouldn't be shopping him. Mallett will be 25 when the season starts and will make: 7/28/2011: Signed a four-year, $2,947,828 contract. The deal included a $646,876 signing bonus. 2013: $642,984, 2014: $776,976, 2015: Free Agent

He no longer has a shot at being Brady's successor - the Pats went all-in by guaranteeing Brady's contract. It makes sense for them to get a 2nd for Mallett and draft a QB in the late rounds to develop.

Users who are viewing this thread