What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's thread about nothing (3 Viewers)

Finally decided to click on GM's thread and YSR's panic attack post was the first thing I read. I hope it's ok if I chime in after not reading the first 1,210 pages.

YSR, I know what you've been going through. I am type A and also think I have all the answers. In Sept I had my first one. I believe triggered from a buildup of stress. I had always handled it great before but many events converged that day and it manifested itself physically. It was debilitating. Missed a few days work. Got a walkin appt with an MD and talked it out. I needed something to feel better and stop my mind from racing. Was put on Zoloft with a Xanax prescription if I needed it. I've never been on any prescriptions and want it to be short term. I've only taken the Xanax a few times.

I needed to figure this thing out so I reached out. Got a physical. Talked to friends and my wife. I immediately started reading "When Panic Attacks" by Burns. Bought his "Feeling Good Workbook" too and worked through it.. Lots of good stuff to learn and it's an ongoing process.

It's worst for me in the mornings when I wake up. Not everyday but sometimes. If I wake up with bad feelings at 4:00 in the morning I'll write. It helps.

I really took it as a wakeup call that I can't do everything and I need to let go of control and the need to be right all the time. I reevaluated my whole life to make a plan for the future. I'm exercising now (very important stress reliever; see "Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain" by Ratey). Recommended by other FBGs.

Another great book recommended by my Psychologist, who I've seen three times on the reccomendation of a friend, is "The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook, 6th Ed" by Davis, et al.

A whole new world is opening up to me by examining my life, my relationships, marriage, work, money, goals, death, attitude, reading, etc. It all seemed to be handled relatively easily before but I was coasting and it built up. Now I'm taking charge of it, learning a ton and engaging it head on.

My mom has a history of mental illness so I was worried that it was happening to me. I'm seeing that it's just life, but it needs to be balanced and new coping skills need to be learned.

In the midst of an anxiety attack it's hard to see the way out, but it's there. It's going to be ok. I've learned that the mind tricks the brain into believing you're in a "fight or flight" situation and reacts accordingly in a physiological way. I had never experienced anything like it before. But now through education I'm feeling better because I'm taking action from many different angles. PM me if you'd like. Hope this helps.

Finally decided to click on GM's thread and YSR's panic attack post was the first thing I read. I hope it's ok if I chime in after not reading the first 1,210 pages. YSR, I know what you've been going through. I am type A and also think I have all the answers. In Sept I had my first one. I believe triggered from a buildup of stress. I had always handled it great before but many events converged that day and it manifested itself physically. It was debilitating. Missed a few days work. Got a walkin appt with an MD and talked it out. I needed something to feel better and stop my mind from racing. Was put on Zoloft with a Xanax prescription if I needed it. I've never been on any prescriptions and want it to be short term. I've only taken the Xanax a few times. I needed to figure this thing out so I reached out. Got a physical. Talked to friends and my wife. I immediately started reading "When Panic Attacks" by Burns. Bought his "Feeling Good Workbook" too and worked through it.. Lots of good stuff to learn and it's an ongoing process. It's worst for me in the mornings when I wake up. Not everyday but sometimes. If I wake up with bad feelings at 4:00 in the morning I'll write. It helps. I really took it as a wakeup call that I can't do everything and I need to let go of control and the need to be right all the time. I reevaluated my whole life to make a plan for the future. I'm exercising now (very important stress reliever; see "Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain" by Ratey). Recommended by other FBGs. Another great book recommended by my Psychologist, who I've seen three times on the reccomendation of a friend, is "The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook, 6th Ed" by Davis, et al. A whole new world is opening up to me by examining my life, my relationships, marriage, work, money, goals, death, attitude, reading, etc. It all seemed to be handled relatively easily before but I was coasting and it built up. Now I'm taking charge of it, learning a ton and engaging it head on. My mom has a history of mental illness so I was worried that it was happening to me. I'm seeing that it's just life, but it needs to be balanced and new coping skills need to be learned. In the midst of an anxiety attack it's hard to see the way out, but it's there. It's going to be ok. I've learned that the mind tricks the brain into believing you're in a "fight or flight" situation and reacts accordingly in a physiological way. I had never experienced anything like it before. But now through education I'm feeling better because I'm taking action from many different angles. PM me if you'd like. Hope this helps.
Thank you. I am looking for things I can do, an appreciate your recommendations.BTW, this is a fun, fun thread and I actually feel bad for bringing the serious here> Stick around, things will be super fantastic, and now you've got it white-cornererd.

Coy shtick working overtime in here. What's the skinny?
I assume this is for me. I really need to talk to people.
Ok, what does that mean?
That I have reached out to people. Something has happened in my life that I want to talk about it. A good friend from GMTAN has called me and I love that person to death. I've also reached out, in my own way, to a GMTAN member via PM. I need to talk to people right now...sorry that bothers you.

Coy shtick working overtime in here. What's the skinny?
I assume this is for me. I really need to talk to people.
Ok, what does that mean?
That I have reached out to people. Something has happened in my life that I want to talk about it. A good friend from GMTAN has called me and I love that person to death. I've also reached out, in my own way, to a GMTAN member via PM. I need to talk to people right now...sorry that bothers you.
Doesn't bother me a lick, cochese. Have fun! Was just hoping you'd make sense to the layTRE.

I know there's a sucky commercial thread somewhere this might have appeared because it seems like old news, but I'm just sitting here alone with the lady friend out of town until tomorrow, banging on this keyboard, eating Gibble's and drinking vodka and sodas when this monstrosity of a commercial came on during an American Dad I was passively watching:

My droopy-eyed, drunken, lazy night has been filled with a little WTF-rage.

My wife hasn't put her Nook down in over 2 hours except to pick up a Wii remote and beat the rest of us in Wii Bowling. Thanks for drying up what was left of my sex life, Cos. :thumbup:

Broiled up a wild sockeye salmon tonight for xmas eve eve dinner, which is really our xmas eve with the boys. Lemon zest, brown sugar, kosher salt, black pepper and some Tony's. Threw that in the Ninja Master Prep for a minute, rubbed it on the fish, let it sit for 45 minutes at room temp, then broiled it for 7 minutes. Simply incredible. Gotta love a 9 year old and his 7 year old brother who will devour good fish. Plus, how lucky am I that my vegetarian wife loves a good piece of salmon.

Little baked rice, green beans, artichokes....great gift exchange too.

Happy Crimmus and all all!

Friends are picking me up to go to some crappy concert at a hipster bar that before tonight I had only heard good things about for their Sunday brunch.
Suck it up Ebeneezer!
Nursing a sweet hangover this morning, but it was a fun night. Turns out the band was in fact really crappy. The lead singer was one of the bar tenders at my favorite local pub and he looks a lot like Alex from A Clockwork Orange. He had on leather pants and a sweet custom made jacket with the band name in vinyl on the back of it. I tried to get a picture to share but it was too dark and I was too drunk to get a good focus. It was classy though, you'll just have to take my word for it.

I must say I LOVE my new Kindle Fire.

I am reading tons more. Its so easy to carry around, that whenever I would normally wait impatiently (waiting in line, waiting to pick someone up, waiting on food at restaurant, any waiting) I pop it open and continue reading one of the books I have open. Or play Angry Birds. Or check out GMTAN (if there is wireless around). But usually I just read. I even bring it to bed most nights and fall asleep reading.

Sorry to hear YSR, Imp. :(

I must say I LOVE my new Kindle Fire.

I am reading tons more. Its so easy to carry around, that whenever I would normally wait impatiently (waiting in line, waiting to pick someone up, waiting on food at restaurant, any waiting) I pop it open and continue reading one of the books I have open. Or play Angry Birds. Or check out GMTAN (if there is wireless around). But usually I just read. I even bring it to bed most nights and fall asleep reading.
I got Mrs. SLB one for Christmas. She bought the boys a Wii. I figure that should be more than enough distraction while I make a break for Mexico.Merry Christmas GB's. I hope your miracle happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all, haven't been able to keep up past few days. Merry Christmas/Happy Hannukah (vaccum/diahreah spelling disaster there).

Users who are viewing this thread