What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's thread about nothing (5 Viewers)

St. Louis Bob said:
SofaKings said:
Any SLB sightings? I worry about that big guy.
You mean Samuel the initial stealer? I was wondering about him too. Maybe he went "all in" on a solo trip to Mexico.
:lmao: You'll always be the original SLB GB. Kinda like "Star Trek: The Next Generation". In many ways it's superior but will never be as recognized as the original.My participation has waned recently because my coworker has been out with 2 broken feet and a broken arm. I'm essentially doing 2 jobs and we can't add any more head count. 10-12 hour days for the past few weeks with the end of the quarter have killed my FFA time, and there's no end in sight. :unsure:
Note to self: dredge up the Drunk Thread every once in a while in honor of Lt. Barclay up there. :bag:

General Malaise said:
Okay, I'm leaving for New Orleans next week. I haven't been since 2002 and my wife has never been. I want to show her a good time. And also some of the sites, sounds and tastes of New Orleans.

Fly in Wednesday night at 11pm. Taxi cab to Marriott New Orleans on Canal Street and check in. I've found one idea for a late night dinner. Angeli on Decatur. If anybody has a better idea for a late night restaurant near our hotel, please let me know.

Thursday:

Breakfast - Completely open. I've been to Cafe Du Monde and I've been to Brennan's. I'm not married to either, so if you've got a recommendation, lay it on me.

Lunch - Mother's. I haven't had their turtle soup in nearly 10 years. We will for sure be going there for lunch.

4:00PM - Cocktail Tour :excited:

Dinner - Wide open, though I'd really like to try Tipsy's restaurant. The only downside is we'll need to catch a cab, but that's not a deal breaker. I've had some other recommendations for dinner, but all them require a jacket, and that's just not what we're after here.

After Dinner - I'm looking for a jazz club or a blues club. Somewhere in the French Quarter or close to our hotel. Somewhere we can lounge, drink, listen to good music. I'd love to avoid the beer spilling, bead throwing, frat chanting bars that checkered my past. I'm hoping for nice place where we can melt into our seats and relax. Ideas appreciated.

I depart for Baton Rouge in the late morning. If there are multiple breakfast ideas, we'll hit one of them on our way out of town.

Cannot wait! :lmao:
Here's my official recommendations:Wed. Evening

http://www.clovergrill.com/ - 24 dining, great little dive diner (breakfast or dinner foods) on bourbon street. Since it's a Wed night, your wife can get a good feel for Bourbon without the hassles of a big crowd.

Thursday

breakfast - Brennan's is pretty solid, but if you're looking for something new, try Coffee Pot (right next to Pat O'Briens)

Lunch - looks like you're sold on Mothers, but the best po-boys are at Johnny's IMO

Dinner - definitely hit up Tipsey's place (Dante's Kitchen). FYI, I've never heard of Louisiana Bistro (not saying it's bad...but I can bet it's no Dante's Kitchen). Trolly will take forever to get to Tipseys, but it's actually a pretty cool ride down St. Charles Ave.

After Dinner - second K4's recommendation to go to Frenchman St. It's on the other side of the quarter, but is a very cool/funky street...there will be lots of live music options and cool bars

Friday

Since you're pressed for time, I would do Cafe Du Monde for breakfast...it's quick, and I don't think your wife should leave without trying Beignets. (DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE GO TO CAFE BEIGNET)

P.S. Depending on what time your Cocktail Tour ends and what I've got going on at work that day, I might be able to give you a ride to Dante's....let me know

Also, here's a link to the New Orelans thread with a bunch of info in the first post http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=371326

Last edited by a moderator:
"I'd like to, but I have to babysit that night."

I've heard this three times in the past week.

From three different girls.

:bag:

And no, I haven't been hanging about the local junior high. :ninja:

:kristadonthateme:

General Malaise said:
Okay, I'm leaving for New Orleans next week. I haven't been since 2002 and my wife has never been. I want to show her a good time. And also some of the sites, sounds and tastes of New Orleans.

Fly in Wednesday night at 11pm. Taxi cab to Marriott New Orleans on Canal Street and check in. I've found one idea for a late night dinner. Angeli on Decatur. If anybody has a better idea for a late night restaurant near our hotel, please let me know.

Thursday:

Breakfast - Completely open. I've been to Cafe Du Monde and I've been to Brennan's. I'm not married to either, so if you've got a recommendation, lay it on me.

Lunch - Mother's. I haven't had their turtle soup in nearly 10 years. We will for sure be going there for lunch.

4:00PM - Cocktail Tour :ninja:

Dinner - Wide open, though I'd really like to try Tipsy's restaurant. The only downside is we'll need to catch a cab, but that's not a deal breaker. I've had some other recommendations for dinner, but all them require a jacket, and that's just not what we're after here.

After Dinner - I'm looking for a jazz club or a blues club. Somewhere in the French Quarter or close to our hotel. Somewhere we can lounge, drink, listen to good music. I'd love to avoid the beer spilling, bead throwing, frat chanting bars that checkered my past. I'm hoping for nice place where we can melt into our seats and relax. Ideas appreciated.

I depart for Baton Rouge in the late morning. If there are multiple breakfast ideas, we'll hit one of them on our way out of town.

Cannot wait! :bag:

http://www.clovergrill.com/ - 24 dining, great little dive diner (breakfast or dinner foods) on bourbon street. Since it's a Wed night, your wife can get a good feel for Bourbon without the hassles of a big crowd.

Thursday

breakfast - Brennan's is pretty solid, but if you're looking for something new, try Coffee Pot (right next to Pat O'Briens)

Lunch - looks like you're sold on Mothers, but the best po-boys are at Johnny's IMO

Dinner - definitely hit up Tipsey's place (Dante's Kitchen). FYI, I've never heard of Louisiana Bistro (not saying it's bad...but I can bet it's no Dante's Kitchen). Trolly will take forever to get to Tipseys, but it's actually a pretty cool ride down St. Charles Ave.

After Dinner - second K4's recommendation to go to Frenchman St. It's on the other side of the quarter, but is a very cool/funky street...there will be lots of live music options and cool bars

Friday

Since you're pressed for time, I would do Cafe Du Monde for breakfast...it's quick, and I don't think your wife should leave without trying Beignets. (DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE GO TO CAFE BEIGNET)

P.S. Depending on what time your Cocktail Tour ends and what I've got going on at work that day, I might be able to give you a ride to Dante's....let me know

Also, here's a link to the New Orelans thread with a bunch of info in the first post http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=371326
Clover Grill! Yes, that is what I was trying to think of. Great place; fun people-watching.As for Louisiana Bistro, at the time I went it was the #1 rated restaurant on tripadvisor.com, which is a bit of a bible for me when I travel. I just looked and it is now around 20th, and Tipsy's place has moved way up (yay, Tipsy!). I still think Tipsy's is a better idea, but this is a good backup if that doesn't work for whatever reason.

The only less than stellar meal I remember ever having in New Orleans was at Jacque Imo's. Could anyone explain to me why that place is so beloved?

IIRC, the cocktail tour took us about three hours.

General Malaise said:

Thursday:

4:00PM - Cocktail Tour :lmao:

Cannot wait! :bye:

Thursday

Friday

Clover Grill! Yes, that is what I was trying to think of. Great place; fun people-watching.As for Louisiana Bistro, at the time I went it was the #1 rated restaurant on tripadvisor.com, which is a bit of a bible for me when I travel. I just looked and it is now around 20th, and Tipsy's place has moved way up (yay, Tipsy!). I still think Tipsy's is a better idea, but this is a good backup if that doesn't work for whatever reason.

The only less than stellar meal I remember ever having in New Orleans was at Jacque Imo's. Could anyone explain to me why that place is so beloved?

I love Jacque Imo's...think it's a great atmosphere and every time I've been the food has been solid. Probably a better place for groups then couples...but I like it. :shrug: FWIW, my top 5 NOLA restaurants (in order as of right this moment):

1. Dante's Kitchen

2. Brightsen's (right across from Dante's)

3. Jacque Imo's

4. Luke

5. Commander's Palace

ETA: Just looked at the Louisiana Bistro menu...gonna have to check it out sometime

Have any of you fatties ever had deep fried cake? Not just twinkies, but like a fried slice of chocolate cake at the fair or something?

General Malaise said:

Thursday:

4:00PM - Cocktail Tour ;)

Cannot wait! :lol:

Thursday

Friday

I love Jacque Imo's...think it's a great atmosphere and every time I've been the food has been solid. Probably a better place for groups then couples...but I like it. :shrug: FWIW, my top 5 NOLA restaurants (in order as of right this moment):

1. Dante's Kitchen

2. Brightsen's (right across from Dante's)

3. Jacque Imo's

4. Luke

5. Commander's Palace

ETA: Just looked at the Louisiana Bistro menu...gonna have to check it out sometime
I liked the atmosphere a lot. And the food was not bad, just not nearly as good as everyplace else I've been there. We must have caught them on an off night.I love Brigsten's and Commander's Palace, too.

Have any of you fatties ever had deep fried cake? Not just twinkies, but like a fried slice of chocolate cake at the fair or something?
:thumbup: That cant be very good for you....
Saw deep fried red velvet cake on the menu at one of my favorite restaurants in Baton Rouge last week....but didin't think that's the way I wanted to start off tailgating.
I had a feeling good ole LA would have it. :thumbup: It won't be good for me but I want to try it just in case the world ends tomarrow.

General Malaise said:

Thursday:

4:00PM - Cocktail Tour :thumbup:

Cannot wait! :thumbup:

Thursday

Friday

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Texas State Fair in Dallas has deep-fried beer, deep-fried margaritas, and deep-fried Frito pie...among others. GM, you gotta get there.

Texas State Fair in Dallas has deep-fried beer, deep-fried margaritas, and deep-fried Frito pie...among others. GM, you gotta get there.
Word on the street is that deep-fried beer is pretty gross. Warm beer inside a ravioli type thing, deep fried. :unsure: Deep-fried S'mores, "Texas Fried Frito Pie", and deep-fried butter are supposed to be good.

Where does this exist?
Fairs and carnivals mostly.I was watching Man Vs. Food :hot: and it got me thinking about what delicious food items I haven't had deep fried and stuffed in my face yet. And first thing I thought of was cake.

shuke looks a little like Adam Richman, no? Especially around the jowl region. :lmao:

How many times a week it is reasonable to eat pizza? (Regular, non-deep-fried pizza.)

How many times a week it is reasonable to eat pizza? (Regular, non-deep-fried pizza.)
7?
Way too low. I'm at 23 unless she's talking Chicago-style.
The thin kind. I think there are a couple of places serving Chicago-style here, but I haven't tried them. I barely liked Chicago-style when I lived in Chicago and have to imagine it's truly awful here.When I was a kid I once had pizza 14 days in a row. The good ol' days.ETA: So I'm gathering that if I had it Sunday and Monday it is perfectly fine to have it again today?

Word on the street is that deep-fried beer is pretty gross. Warm beer inside a ravioli type thing, deep fried. :rolleyes: Deep-fried S'mores, "Texas Fried Frito Pie", and deep-fried butter are supposed to be good.
Let's talk a little more about this. tia.

Users who are viewing this thread