What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help me pick a good bourbon (1 Viewer)

I love Weller 12, but part of that love is that it is a $26 bottle and great value.  I would go up to $50 or so for it but after that there are many other options that are available at that price that are better than Weller 12.  EH Taylor Small Batch, Eagle Rare, Blanton's, are a few options.  And I know those aren't always available but they are available from time to time.  I've bought them all at MSRP in the last 12 months.
Where's the best sort of place to get liquor in Florida?  I normally just grab it at the grocery store, but not all of them have a good selection.  I always find myself looking for the best of a few options.

The Commish said:
Where's the best sort of place to get liquor in Florida?  I normally just grab it at the grocery store, but not all of them have a good selection.  I always find myself looking for the best of a few options.
Everything but Weller can be found at the small independent stores. Some will try and gouge on the real exclusive stuff like BTAC and Pappy but stuff like EH Taylor, McKenna, etc. can be found pretty regularly. Never had any luck at the grocery chains. Oct. - About now is prime season for bourbon.  I bought the last EH Taylor Small batch from my reasonably priced local guy last Saturday ($49). Another local guy has a shelf full for $65. He also has George T. Stagg for $499. That's gouging, but not super ridiculous.

ABC has now put anything remotely decent bourbon wise in their "Vault" where you have to be part of their highest rewards tier to get access to it. This includes all Weller products, even 107 and 12 which is ridiculous. See my experience in the Bourbon thread for more info on this.

So unless you buy a lot of alcohol each year, I'd avoid ABC. But if you buy a lot it is a good option. I buy a decent amount but I'm able to maximize my points since a lot of what I would buy anyway is part of their "sourced and certified" program which doubles points I think.

Everything but Weller can be found at the small independent stores. Some will try and gouge on the real exclusive stuff like BTAC and Pappy but stuff like EH Taylor, McKenna, etc. can be found pretty regularly. Never had any luck at the grocery chains. Oct. - About now is prime season for bourbon.  I bought the last EH Taylor Small batch from my reasonably priced local guy last Saturday ($49). Another local guy has a shelf full for $65. He also has George T. Stagg for $499. That's gouging, but not super ridiculous.

ABC has now put anything remotely decent bourbon wise in their "Vault" where you have to be part of their highest rewards tier to get access to it. This includes all Weller products, even 107 and 12 which is ridiculous. See my experience in the Bourbon thread for more info on this.

So unless you buy a lot of alcohol each year, I'd avoid ABC. But if you buy a lot it is a good option. I buy a decent amount but I'm able to maximize my points since a lot of what I would buy anyway is part of their "sourced and certified" program which doubles points I think.
Publix is pricey as far as retail is concerned but they do carry BT products outside of Weller to include ER 10 and Blantans.

Unfortunately this is turning out not to be true

"where you have to be part of their highest rewards tier to get access to it."

I've been a Gold Key member since Aug and have not received a single email from ABC rewards.  I have had several conversations with my local store manager and she has contacted them personally on my behalf and still nothing.  I told her, since she has been very customer friendly, that I would continue to use the store up to Thanksgiving and if at that time I had not been contacted I would never step foot inside an ABC again.

I have a store in Mid GA that I know has a good supply of BT products and its on the way to my fathers, a trip I make several times a year and its only a 4 hour round trip from my house so that is what I will use moving forward.  Must say, I am really disappointed in ABC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn you!!!  Been watching their youtubes all freakin morning  :censored:

Can someone describe the Blantons to me?  Always something I've wanted to know more about, but never knew where to start.  This seems like it can get to be a ridiculous hobby.
Blantons FF to about the 2 minute mark  

One weekend my wife and daughters were out of town and I started drinking some bourbon on a Saturday night around 10pm while watching these guys.  Next thing I knew 3 hours had gone by and I was pretty loaded.  I was sampling the bourbons I had in my home while watching their reviews of them.  My buddies all drink bourbon and when we go to each others homes we always bring a bottle of something different.  So I have at least 8 different brands at home at all times.

What's the best way to make an Old Fashioned?
Take a sugar cube (or just a teaspoon of sugar if you don't have cubes) and add 2 or 3 splashes of Angostura bitters so the sugar is soaked in bitters.  Muddle the sugar and bitters and then add two shots of Rye*.  Stir mixture together (the sugar doesn't really fully dissolve but will do so overtime as ice melts).  Add ice (I prefer one big ice cube if you have them but otherwise a few cubes) and then stir again. 

Optional to add some orange peal at the end but if you do first twist it over the drink to release the oils into drink.  It is a nice addition and worth it.

Also, optional to add a splash of soda water after Rye to have sugar fully dissolve but don't think you need to or should.  If you order it out a lot of times it has this addition so many people expect it.       

*I think Rye makes a much better cocktail then bourbon as bourbon is just to sweet and the Rye spice improves the drink overall.  This is also true for Manhattans.  My go to Rye for cocktails is Bulleit since it is a very high rye mash bill (95% rye), reasonably priced and widely available.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Blantons FF to about the 2 minute mark  

One weekend my wife and daughters were out of town and I started drinking some bourbon on a Saturday night around 10pm while watching these guys.  Next thing I knew 3 hours had gone by and I was pretty loaded.  I was sampling the bourbons I had in my home while watching their reviews of them.  My buddies all drink bourbon and when we go to each others homes we always bring a bottle of something different.  So I have at least 8 different brands at home at all times.
I think this Christmas, the hobby begins....my wife claims to be a Bourbon Girl and I can't drink wine....soooooooo....I'm gonna test this bourbon girl shtick of hers and get her a few different bottles.

Publix is pricey as far as retail is concerned but they do carry BT products outside of Weller to include ER 10 and Blantans.

Unfortunately this is turning out not to be true

"where you have to be part of their highest rewards tier to get access to it."

I've been a Gold Key member since Aug and have not received a single email from ABC rewards.  I have had several conversations with my local store manager and she has contacted them personally on my behalf and still nothing.  I told her, since she has been very customer friendly, that I would continue to use the store up to Thanksgiving and if at that time I had not been contacted I would never step foot inside an ABC again.

I have a store in Mid GA that I know has a good supply of BT products and its on the way to my fathers, a trip I make several times a year and its only a 4 hour round trip from my house so that is what I will use moving forward.  Must say, I am really disappointed in ABC.
I feel your ABC pain.  But not playing their game means no shot at Weller for those of us who don't drive through neighboring States with frequency.

Not at all, it's just not in the same vain as many mentioned in this thread.  I actually always have a 1.75 on hand for folks who want drink with a splash of coke.
Im similar with Buffalo Trace.  Makes a good Old Fashioned as well and its good straight up.  Hard to beat for the price

Didn't make it down this weekend.  Wife got a cold and was stuck in bed all weekend.  So we'll try to go down this weekend.  Have another week to think about it.  
I haven’t read the whole thread, actually haven’t read much of it... but I’d be happy to send you some bottles of picks my bourbon club has done. We typically pick 6+ barrels/year and have some folks in the group with great palates 

Users who are viewing this thread