What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Idiot drivers (1 Viewer)

I have not read all of this so I'm not sure it's been posted but:

To the ##### in front of me that thinks it's a good idea to enter the interstate at 45mph,

The on ramp is ####ing massive and you're going to cause an accident trying to merge 25MPH slower than everyone else already on the interstate. I can only hope that they day you cause an accident performing this action it is with another person who did the same thing the entrance before you. And that you both die an agonizingly painful death.

Love,

-Kanil

What's best practice for merging in construction zones?

Say you're in the left lane which is blocked off up ahead. You still have a decent stretch of road before you reach the point where you have to merge. The right lane is backed up. Your lane is moving considerably better than the right lane. Do you stay in your lane as long as possible? Or merge right as soon as possible?

It seems like it's in everyone's best interest to use both lanes as long as possible. But cutting your way to the front is a #### move.
As long as possible. People really seem to have a hard time merging; they have to do it like a mile ahead of time. Its such a simple concept.
Am I a #### for sitting in the middle of both lanes so no one can cut in front of me. I did it this morning, the guy was raging behind me who wanted to cut.
Yes. You are the worst kind of ****. I would pass you on the shoulder.
To bad it's on a bridge with no shoulder. Looks like you have to wait behind me.
Wait and use both lanes. It's called the zipper merge......http://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/

Say you're in the left lane which is blocked off up ahead. You still have a decent stretch of road before you reach the point where you have to merge. The right lane is backed up. Your lane is moving considerably better than the right lane. Do you stay in your lane as long as possible? Or merge right as soon as possible?

It seems like it's in everyone's best interest to use both lanes as long as possible. But cutting your way to the front is a #### move.
As long as possible. People really seem to have a hard time merging; they have to do it like a mile ahead of time. Its such a simple concept.
Am I a #### for sitting in the middle of both lanes so no one can cut in front of me. I did it this morning, the guy was raging behind me who wanted to cut.
To bad it's on a bridge with no shoulder. Looks like you have to wait behind me.
Wait and use both lanes. It's called the zipper merge......http://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/
:thumbup:

from that link:

Zipper merge vs. early mergeWhen most drivers see the first “lane closed ahead” sign in a work zone, they slow too quickly and move to the lane that will continue through the construction area. This driving behavior can lead to unexpected and dangerous lane switching, serious crashes and road rage.

Zipper merging, however, benefits individual drivers as well as the public at large. Research shows that these dangers decrease when motorists use both lanes until reaching the defined merge area and then alternate in “zipper” fashion into the open lane. Watch a brief video of how it works.

So I'm supposed to merge late?Yes! As you see the “lane closed ahead” sign and traffic backing up, stay in your current lane up to the point of merge. Then take turns with other drivers to safely and smoothly ease into the remaining lane. Don't worry about being "Minnesota nice." When traffic is heavy and slow, it is much safer for motorists to remain in their current lane until the point where traffic can orderly take turns merging.

When not to do the zipper mergeWhen traffic is moving at highway speeds and there are no backups, it makes sense to move sooner to the lane that will remain open through construction. The bottom line is to merge when it is safe to do so.

I can't even tell you how many people I've seen this summer who don't realize that a traffic light that's out because of a power failure is supposed to be treated as a four-way stop.

(I'm not sure if this is true in every state, but it is in NY.)

Merging onto a highway seems to be a problem for many. Particularly getting up to speed on the on-ramp. Merging into traffic that is traveling 70 MPH while you're doing 45 MPH rarely ends well.
People merge to early. Wait till you are up to speed. Wait until there is a dashed line. There is plenty of time to merge. Don't slam in while you are still trying to straighten out coming on or off the ramp.

jhib said:
I can't even tell you how many people I've seen this summer who don't realize that a traffic light that's out because of a power failure is supposed to be treated as a four-way stop.

Yup. People just fly through them. I was watching the news one morning before work and they had an intersection with the lights out. The reporter was standing out there saying "It's a four way stop" when a car blew through the intersection and hit another car.

I never understood how anyone can see a busy intersection and think, "Hmm... Traffic lights are out? Must be my lucky day! Don't have to stop."

What other states are doing the a zipper merge push like MN?

The zipper merge makes sense, but as MN seems to understand, it needs a campaign as people in so many areas have come to believe late mergers are #######s.

Maybe I just haven't noticed them, but I've never seen any "begin merge now" or "use both lanes" signs in NC or VA.

The zipper merge makes sense, but as MN seems to understand, it needs a campaign as people in so many areas have come to believe late mergers are #######s.

Maybe I just haven't noticed them, but I've never seen any "begin merge now" or "use both lanes" signs in NC or VA.
In Arkansas (and I believe Texas, but it has been a while since I drove down there) they have "merge now" and "no passing" signs about a 1/2 mile or so before the merge to one lane.

In Arkansas (and I believe Texas, but it has been a while since I drove down there) they have "merge now" and "no passing" signs about a 1/2 mile or so before the merge to one lane.
So, are they promoting the opposite of a zipper merge?

Last edited by a moderator:

button fly.

jhib said:

Yup. People just fly through them. I was watching the news one morning before work and they had an intersection with the lights out. The reporter was standing out there saying "It's a four way stop" when a car blew through the intersection and hit another car. I never understood how anyone can see a busy intersection and think, "Hmm... Traffic lights are out? Must be my lucky day! Don't have to stop."
The problem is that it's not always the case. Many lights in my area will go to blinking red lights for one road and flashing yellow for the other road when the power goes out.

If the power is totally out though, yeah, it becomes a 4 way stop.

jhib said:

Yup. People just fly through them. I was watching the news one morning before work and they had an intersection with the lights out. The reporter was standing out there saying "It's a four way stop" when a car blew through the intersection and hit another car. I never understood how anyone can see a busy intersection and think, "Hmm... Traffic lights are out? Must be my lucky day! Don't have to stop."
The problem is that it's not always the case. Many lights in my area will go to blinking red lights for one road and flashing yellow for the other road when the power goes out.

If the power is totally out though, yeah, it becomes a 4 way stop.
Right. I was talking about completely out. I assumed jhib was talking about the same. If it's yellow, you can proceed through it without stopping. But if the light is completely out, the intersection is supposed to become a 4 way stop.

May have been mentioned but at 4 lane lights where there is no dedicated left hand turning lane, guy sits at the red light with no turn signal on allowing cars to move in behind him thinking he's going straight. When the light changes, he rolls forward a few feet and then puts his turn signal on. He's now blocking the left lane till oncoming traffic clears and the people behind him are most likely stuck waiting till the light turns red.

pollardsvision said:
I need a ruling.

There's a 3-way intersection upon entering the local Sam's club from the main road. You go straight to continue to the Sam's parking lot, or take a right to go the Wal-Mart parking lot.

2 points of the intersection are only 2-lanes (one for each direction), and have a clear stop sign along with "Stop" written on the pavement.

It's the point of the intersection coming from the main road that leads to confusion. It breaks into 2-lanes for the entering direction. There is a stop sign. Right lane has a white line and "stop" written on the pavement. Obviously, they must stop before turning right (to Wal-Mart).

The left lane, however, has no white line and no "stop" written on the pavement.

To me, this means no stopping. Smartly, they seem to want the flow from the main road to continue without getting backed up.

Apparently, I'm in the vast minority on that though. 90% of the people I see stop there. I've even had a couple of people following me to the Sam's parking lot to flip me off/curse after seeing me pass through without stopping.

I don't stop, though, I do make sure to pay attention and stay ready to react as I know my not stopping might surprise many of the idiots at the intersection.

Am I wrong here?
Like others have said, an "Incoming Traffic Does Not Stop" sign would help a lot.

That said, it sounds like there is a stop sign at this intersection that many drivers are naturally going to interpret as governing entering vehicles. Not sure if that's the intent, but other drivers are going to see that and expect entering vehicles to stop. Blowing through that intersection is going to defy expectations and is likely to eventually cause an accident. I would therefore treat it as if I was required to stop. That may not be the legally correct ruling, but it's the ruling that it least likely to result in me getting t-boned.

Depends on how you look at it I guess, you could say they still want the zipper merge but just earlier. I know others here disagree, but the zipper merge is something that looks good on paper but doesn't really translate well in practice IMO...too many vaiables. IE: differing speeds, spacing of cars, etc.

dino259 said:

Problem with zippers is stupid people get their d#cks caught in them. Same for the merge; that is why they need to explain them!

pollardsvision said:
I need a ruling.

There's a 3-way intersection upon entering the local Sam's club from the main road. You go straight to continue to the Sam's parking lot, or take a right to go the Wal-Mart parking lot.

2 points of the intersection are only 2-lanes (one for each direction), and have a clear stop sign along with "Stop" written on the pavement.

It's the point of the intersection coming from the main road that leads to confusion. It breaks into 2-lanes for the entering direction. There is a stop sign. Right lane has a white line and "stop" written on the pavement. Obviously, they must stop before turning right (to Wal-Mart).

The left lane, however, has no white line and no "stop" written on the pavement.

To me, this means no stopping. Smartly, they seem to want the flow from the main road to continue without getting backed up.

Apparently, I'm in the vast minority on that though. 90% of the people I see stop there. I've even had a couple of people following me to the Sam's parking lot to flip me off/curse after seeing me pass through without stopping.

I don't stop, though, I do make sure to pay attention and stay ready to react as I know my not stopping might surprise many of the idiots at the intersection.

Am I wrong here?
Like others have said, an "Incoming Traffic Does Not Stop" sign would help a lot.

That said, it sounds like there is a stop sign at this intersection that many drivers are naturally going to interpret as governing entering vehicles. Not sure if that's the intent, but other drivers are going to see that and expect entering vehicles to stop. Blowing through that intersection is going to defy expectations and is likely to eventually cause an accident. I would therefore treat it as if I was required to stop. That may not be the legally correct ruling, but it's the ruling that it least likely to result in me getting t-boned.
Yeah, I always go through really slowly, and if it looks like the guy on the right is itching to go, I'll stop. I also generally stop if there's a 4-5 car deep line where everyone's been stopping.

I'm usually in the area during low traffic times, and in those times, I generally just pass through.

Coming from MN I thought people in Chicago were #######s for running down to the end to merge. I've come around to the zipper. But I have seen State Patrol officers in MN pull people over for flying down the reducing lane at unsafe speeds and trying to run up the shoulder to get in. Very satisfying.

Depends on how you look at it I guess, you could say they still want the zipper merge but just earlier. I know others here disagree, but the zipper merge is something that looks good on paper but doesn't really translate well in practice IMO...too many vaiables. IE: differing speeds, spacing of cars, etc.
Agreed. I think a campaign like MN should help, but without it, it's a lot to ask of people who've always done it one way. I feel like if I tried it, everyone on the left lane would think I'm an #######. The MN signage seems to be pretty good.

For the Arkansas example, it's that "no passing" sign I think would not help promote zipper merging. I think a lot would interpret that as "everybody go ahead and get in one lane" as that's the simplest way to ensure "no passing".

dino259 said:

Problem with zippers is stupid people get their d#cks caught in them. Same for the merge; that is why they need to explain them!
:goodposting:

button fly.
Not as convenient but sometimes less painful.

Agreed. I think a campaign like MN should help, but without it, it's a lot to ask of people who've always done it one way. I feel like if I tried it, everyone on the left lane would think I'm an #######. The MN signage seems to be pretty good.

For the Arkansas example, it's that "no passing" sign I think would not help promote zipper merging. I think a lot would interpret that as "everybody go ahead and get in one lane" as that's the simplest way to ensure "no passing".
That is exactly what it is, they are encouraging everyone to get into 1 lane earlier. There will be the typical "right lane closed 2 miles ahead" type signs, then the "merge now" signs followed closely by the "no passing" signs. They want the zipper merge, just earlier than where the lanes merge into 1.

This is pretty much only in construction areas, not where 2 lanes merging into 1 is the design. As I understand the theory it is for the constuction workers safety for the merge point to be further away from where the workers would actually be.

Probably cost more for extra barriers along with the time it would take to erect them. A lot of the construction, especially in more urban areas, is done during lighter traffic times so it would take extra time to set them up and take down for rush hours.

The zipper method is logical, most drivers are not so in practice I don't think it works all that well most of the time.

Again, I know others disagree and this conversation has been had many times so really sorry for the hijack.

I think you all can appreciate this... Was in a parking lot with directional aisles (all the spaces angled and the lane is one way) and it never fails how many people drive the wrong way down these 1 way aisles. I get in my car and this lady pulls in going the wrong way. So she backs into a space but doesnt park, she uses it to turn around and go the other direction. So I pull out of my space and she starts to back up coming at me the wrong way down the lane. So I stop in the middle of the lane and sit there starring at her. She moves over to let me go by, but I dont, I sit and hit my horn at her to tell her to move and force her to leave the lane, swing around and come down the lane the correct way. I could have been nice, as it may have been an honest mistake but with all the idiots going the wrong way and her inexplicable backing up and turning around... I couldnt let it go. Made my day.

I cant even read this thread because it will get my blood boiling. I drive around 5k miles a month for work, and even though its always various hours between the hours of 9pm and 6am, I see more than my share of idiots on the road. There's nothing you can do about it, they're not going away, you just gotta deal with it and avoid road rage the best you can.

I cant even read this thread because it will get my blood boiling. I drive around 5k miles a month for work, and even though its always various hours between the hours of 9pm and 6am, I see more than my share of idiots on the road. There's nothing you can do about it, they're not going away, you just gotta deal with it and avoid road rage the best you can.

I have a 3yo daughter. I use "Let it Go" as my :headnoxplode: mantra when trying to deal with the dopes.

I disgree with my NJ brethren. Maryland drivers are the worst. Apparently that state stupidly does not have "keep right" as the state law. These doofuses are always clogging the fast lane. Can't stand 'em.

-QG

Then why not have the actual merge and lane closure earlier?

The non-zipper logic makes zippo sense to me.
Agreed. But I think it's just a shortsighted means of assuming people are morons and need more time to merge than they are given.

NutterButter said:
fasteddie_21 said:
Merging is far too complex a concept for folks here in Denver. God forbid you attempt a zipper merge. ####ers will cut you off and cuss you out most every time. The lack of merging is the cause of the majority of the traffic here. Mind boggling.

Another favorite is turning right at red lights when folks have a dedicated lane to turn into...and still don't turn on red. Seriously, wtf are you waiting on?
I've had some close calls when merging properly. When its my turn, I typically just go. I don't care if you're trying to be a hard guy and not let me in. I beat the hell out of my car as it is between the kids, dogs and home improvement that if you want to rub quarter panels with me, I'm game.
Back during the tech boom I worked at a company that gave people Toyota Corollas as a benefit and they did not care if you damaged it. Those were fun times.

I have a 3yo daughter. I use "Let it Go" as my :headnoxplode: mantra when trying to deal with the dopes.
I commute 100 miles a day by freeway and every single day there is at least 1 guy weaving in and out of traffic 20mph faster than everyone else and not using a signal.

It used to bother me but it doesn't faze me at all now, almost to the point where I don't notice it. If it's the weekend my wife will be in the car, a guy cuts right in front of us at 95mph, my wife lets out a HOLY #### and I'm like "what?"

Last edited by a moderator:

I commute 100 miles a day by freeway and every single day there is at least 1 guy weaving in and out of traffic 20mph faster than everyone else and not using a signal.

It used to bother me but it doesn't faze me at all now, almost to the point where I don't notice it. If it's the weekend my wife will be in the car, a guy cuts right in front of us at 95mph, my wife lets out a HOLY #### and I'm like "what?"
Sorry was that you?

To be fair I do use my turn signals though when I weave in and out at 95mph.

The popular thing in SA right now seems to be riding the left lane, not passing anyone, until about 100 yards before the exit. Then putting on the blinker (maybe) and cutting across all five lanes to exit. I really, really don't understand this.

The guy who comes up to a stoplight using the right turn lane in two lane traffic. When the light turns green, he guns it to get in front of you, with no intention of ever turning right.
Is there a lane ahead of him that merges eventually or is it just one lane and a turning lane meaning he near misses the median to cut you off?
It is two lanes of traffic each way, and a third right turn lane. Usually cars parked on the street, with no merge lane. He either guns it to get ahead of everyone, or gets stuck trying to get back into the correct lane if they miss out.

Insein said:
17seconds said:
El Floppo said:
Wingnut said:

Sorry was that you?

To be fair I do use my turn signals though when I weave in and out at 95mph.
I've got no problem if you are using your signal

It's between you and the cops

Gustavo Fring said:
The guy who comes up to a stoplight using the right turn lane in two lane traffic. When the light turns green, he guns it to get in front of you, with no intention of ever turning right.
Is there a lane ahead of him that merges eventually or is it just one lane and a turning lane meaning he near misses the median to cut you off?
It is two lanes of traffic each way, and a third right turn lane. Usually cars parked on the street, with no merge lane. He either guns it to get ahead of everyone, or gets stuck trying to get back into the correct lane if they miss out.
So the lane he uses does not extend past the light. Yea that's dangerous.

I'm all for the zipper merge, but in practice here in Michigan 90% of drivers get over right away. Inevitably, that lane now moves at about 5 mph and the ending lane now moves as fast as you want it to since most of the cars just vacated the lane.

So do you continue to fly down the lane several times faster than the rest of the cars and then dart in as the lane ends, looking like a total ##### to everyone that just sat in the other lane for five minutes?

Or do you slow your speed way down to pace or nearly pace the now slower lane before merging late, mitigating the level of-aholeness you are perceived to display.

This nirvana of everyone maintaining their speed and zipper merging at the end is a pipe dream. So what's the call in the real world?

I'm all for the zipper merge, but in practice here in Michigan 90% of drivers get over right away. Inevitably, that lane now moves at about 5 mph and the ending lane now moves as fast as you want it to since most of the cars just vacated the lane.

So do you continue to fly down the lane several times faster than the rest of the cars and then dart in as the lane ends, looking like a total ##### to everyone that just sat in the other lane for five minutes?

Or do you slow your speed way down to pace or nearly pace the now slower lane before merging late, mitigating the level of-aholeness you are perceived to display.

This nirvana of everyone maintaining their speed and zipper merging at the end is a pipe dream. So what's the call in the real world?
:goodposting: So true. Very frustrating...

I think it has to be left up to the state transportation departments or highway patrol to make a push. With signage at least, and probably a marketing campaign too.

The signage in those MN videos seemed pretty effective.

90% of drivers are unfamiliar with the concept and the other 10% are left with the dilemma you describe, so it'll take some effort to get people on board.

The positive effects of zippering are way overrated. There is a limit to the speed cars can attain through the bottleneck regardless of how they arrive at the chokepoint.

The guy on the multi lane city road that will haul ### to get in front of you while you're in the far right lane even though it's open behind you, and the second they get in front of you, they turn right, causing you to have to slam on your brakes to avoid hitting their idiot ###.

Also agree with the non cruise control guy that will pass you and be passed over and over all the while you're doing the same speed the whole time.

18 wheelers riding back to back and you can see them up ahead forever. You're going much faster than them and right before you're going to pass them, the back one pulls into the left lane right in front of you going less than 1 mph more than the other one taking 10 f'n minutes to pass it...

I drive 98 miles each way to work so I see a lot of idiots.
I see this a lot and I totally agree with you. I don't get the reasoning.
To piss us off. Pretty much any trucker is on my list here.

The positive effects of zippering are way overrated. There is a limit to the speed cars can attain through the bottleneck regardless of how they arrive at the chokepoint.
It's not about the speed you go through the bottleneck. It's about the relationship between when you get to the backup and the time it takes to get through.

Without the zipper, the earlier you merge, the longer it takes. It doesn't depend as much about when you got there, but when you decide to merge and how many people getting there after you that decide to merge at some point in front of you.

The guy on the multi lane city road that will haul ### to get in front of you while you're in the far right lane even though it's open behind you, and the second they get in front of you, they turn right, causing you to have to slam on your brakes to avoid hitting their idiot ###.

Also agree with the non cruise control guy that will pass you and be passed over and over all the while you're doing the same speed the whole time.

18 wheelers riding back to back and you can see them up ahead forever. You're going much faster than them and right before you're going to pass them, the back one pulls into the left lane right in front of you going less than 1 mph more than the other one taking 10 f'n minutes to pass it...

Be careful with the truckers...you don't want to piss them off too much. ;)

Be careful with the truckers...you don't want to piss them off too much. ;)
"Candy Cane!!"

Trucks are usually governed wrt top speed. So they often can't pass any faster because they can't travel any faster.

Trucks are usually governed wrt top speed. So they often can't pass any faster because they can't travel any faster.
Then it's still fair to blame them both. One for not slowing down a bit to let the other pass and get back to the right and the other for not realizing that if they can't make the pass in 5 minutes then it probably isn't worth doing it.

Then it's still fair to blame them both. One for not slowing down a bit to let the other pass and get back to the right and the other for not realizing that if they can't make the pass in 5 minutes then it probably isn't worth doing it.
Exactly. It's not like they have restrictor plates and can't hit the brakes for fear of losing the pack.

I mainly appear in courts in two different cities separated by a 40 mile stretch of a major truck corridor. The move in bold above is probably the most infuriating aspect of my life, and truckers have become my official nemesis.

Users who are viewing this thread