What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just got back from the ER for wife and dog...both were attacked by pit (1 Viewer)

You seem defensive about being told that you seem defensive. ;) I'm kidding of course, but no one was pissed or expressing any outrage about your decision to buy your dog from a breeder. But it does seem that most of your posts are about how everyone else is doing it wrong, and that everything you've done with respect to owning a breed that can kill is right.

That said, I'll admit that everything you've done would appear to drasticallly reduce the chance that your dog will kill someone:

1) Purchase from a reputable breeder (that breeds for temperament).

2) Properly train the dog.

3) Make sure the dog is socialized.

4) Don't mistreat the dog.

5) Make sure the dog is properly supervised and secured.

But what I don't get is why anyone would want to own a breed where such measures need to be taken to avoid catastrophe.

As for your concerns regarding disreputable breeders, what is your proposed solution? Do you recommend outlawing "backyard breeders" and sales of pets at pet stores? Should we shut down shelter adoptions as they may introduce questionable dogs into the public?
some people prefer large dogs over the ankle-biting, non-stop barking of a smaller dog. I'm one of them.

any large dog can kill. don't kid yourself into thinking an 80 lb lab is any safer than an 80 lb Doberman. I'd put the chances of a well trained, well socialized large breed dog killing somebody at about .00000001%. why take that chance? why own a dog at all? why do people do anything that has a minimal chance of killing them? why have a gun in your house? why put in a swimming pool where you have to take measures to ensure people don't get killed? why drive out for dinner and possibly get killed in a car accident when you can eat at home?

as far as me, I researched probably 50 breeds of dog before settling on a Rottweiler. I'd had one before along with shepherds and Dobermans and loved the laid back temperament. He doesn't shed as much as a shepherd/st bernard, not as skittish as a Doberman, doesn't bark much at all. a mastiff was too big. my second choice was a Swiss Mountain Dog but they can have issues with potty training. Rotties are incredibly smart dogs and easy to train.

and get this, Rottweilers are really good with kids, which was very important with 3 small boys and a neighborhood full of kids. I have kids over swimming on a weekly basis and they come in and out through my gate with my dog standing on the other side. he loves to hang out and be around people. he has never had a problem with another dog. he's almost the perfect dog if he wouldn't step on people's feet once in a while when trying to give them some lovin'. and the best part is that strangers aren't going to come near my house with him standing there. he has this look and that's all he needs.

That said, I'll admit that everything you've done would appear to drasticallly reduce the chance that your dog will kill someone:

But what I don't get is why anyone would want to own a breed where such measures need to be taken to avoid catastrophe.
That's just good responsible dog ownership regardless of breed.

Sure. But some breeds require these measures to reduce the likelihood that they kill someone. Others do not.

As for your concerns regarding disreputable breeders, what is your proposed solution? Do you recommend outlawing "backyard breeders" and sales of pets at pet stores? Should we shut down shelter adoptions as they may introduce questionable dogs into the public?
yes, outlaw backyard breeders. keep an eye on the classifieds for people selling dogs illegally.

to own a dog requires a dog license. to get a dog license, your dog must be spayed/neutered unless you are a registered breeder. you must provide the seller a copy of the license within X months of purchasing a dog as a check that people actually get the license.

yes, outlaw backyard breeders. keep an eye on the classifieds for people selling dogs illegally.

to own a dog requires a dog license. to get a dog license, your dog must be spayed/neutered unless you are a registered breeder. you must provide the seller a copy of the license within X months of purchasing a dog as a check that people actually get the license.
This seems like a sensible approach to getting things a bit more under control. In the city where I live, the situation is ridiculous. I don't know how many dogs are put down annually, but I think it may be in the hundreds of thousands.

You seem defensive about being told that you seem defensive. ;) I'm kidding of course, but no one was pissed or expressing any outrage about your decision to buy your dog from a breeder. But it does seem that most of your posts are about how everyone else is doing it wrong, and that everything you've done with respect to owning a breed that can kill is right.

some people prefer large dogs over the ankle-biting, non-stop barking of a smaller dog. I'm one of them.

any large dog can kill. don't kid yourself into thinking an 80 lb lab is any safer than an 80 lb Doberman. I'd put the chances of a well trained, well socialized large breed dog killing somebody at about .00000001%. why take that chance? why own a dog at all? why do people do anything that has a minimal chance of killing them? why have a gun in your house? why put in a swimming pool where you have to take measures to ensure people don't get killed? why drive out for dinner and possibly get killed in a car accident when you can eat at home?

as far as me, I researched probably 50 breeds of dog before settling on a Rottweiler. I'd had one before along with shepherds and Dobermans and loved the laid back temperament. He doesn't shed as much as a shepherd/st bernard, not as skittish as a Doberman, doesn't bark much at all. a mastiff was too big. my second choice was a Swiss Mountain Dog but they can have issues with potty training. Rotties are incredibly smart dogs and easy to train.

and get this, Rottweilers are really good with kids, which was very important with 3 small boys and a neighborhood full of kids. I have kids over swimming on a weekly basis and they come in and out through my gate with my dog standing on the other side. he loves to hang out and be around people. he has never had a problem with another dog. he's almost the perfect dog if he wouldn't step on people's feet once in a while when trying to give them some lovin'. and the best part is that strangers aren't going to come near my house with him standing there. he has this look and that's all he needs.
I don't know a lot about Dobermans but I do know labs. You would have to beat a lab daily and give it acid before a lab would remotely have the chance to kill somebody.

Labs are pretty much the most awesome creatures on earth.

I don't know a lot about Dobermans but I do know labs. You would have to beat a lab daily and give it acid before a lab would remotely have the chance to kill somebody.
then you might want to do some googling

This seems like a sensible approach to getting things a bit more under control. In the city where I live, the situation is ridiculous. I don't know how many dogs are put down annually, but I think it may be in the hundreds of thousands.
Just looked it up - 85,000 dogs and cats euthanized annually.

I have a half yellow lab/golden. She is 13 years old. Never has barked at a neighbor or another dog when they walk by. She is either just chilling laying down and watches them walk by or she is in the middle of her bathroom routine and ignores them. She stays in the yard in it is not fenced in. She goes out most the time unsupervised and never had an issue. But I knew this was what kind of dog she could be when I got her so this is why I got her. I could never do same with a dog that was of a breed that is not as obedient. On 3 different occasions (she hits the screen door with her paw when she is ready to come in) when she knocked to come back in she showed up with another dog at our front door. She pays them no mind and just wants to get back in.

Edit to add:

My next door neighbor(he is retired around 70) has a 10 pound white fluffy thing. He walks her every morning and if my dog is in the yard he comes over and let his dog play with mine. Mine is old and just sits there and lets the little one sniff and what not. He his dog was attacked by some mensa in by neighborhood's with Pit bulls. Tore it up pretty good.

Well mensa decided that living in a subdivision where kids and people walk around a lot was a good place to take on rehabbing pit bulls. Then, he did not have the dog on a leash while outside and it attacked. Needless to say that pit bull was put down but how much common sense do you have to lack to do what this owner did. It is right out negligent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eddie, glad to hear Amanda okay. She is way to small to handle a pit bull attack. Hopefully all turns out okay but I would seek everything I can against the owner. They need to learn somehow.

Without reading through 3 pages of breed debate, sorry if already mentioned:

The guy was cited. Find out who the prosecuting agency is, which I'm assuming is your City Attorney's office as this is more likely a municipal vs. a state charge. If it is a state charge, you would contact the DA's office that prosecutes for your county. The police department that issued the citation should be able to give you this info.

Then make sure you stay in touch with the prosecutor or victim advocate to keep updated on the case, make your desires for the outcome of the case to be considered, and (most important) submit them all medical and vet bills so they can be ordered as restitution as part of any sentence.

You won't get civil damages (pain and suffering, etc.) via this route, but you'll at least get compensated for the money you've spent.

Hope the wife and dog are okay.

Bottom line is that if you own an animal that has both aggressive tendencies (in the breed or from conditioning) and the physical ability kill or seriously maim...you're stupid.

Without reading through 3 pages of breed debate, sorry if already mentioned:

The guy was cited. Find out who the prosecuting agency is, which I'm assuming is your City Attorney's office as this is more likely a municipal vs. a state charge. If it is a state charge, you would contact the DA's office that prosecutes for your county. The police department that issued the citation should be able to give you this info.

Then make sure you stay in touch with the prosecutor or victim advocate to keep updated on the case, make your desires for the outcome of the case to be considered, and (most important) submit them all medical and vet bills so they can be ordered as restitution as part of any sentence.

You won't get civil damages (pain and suffering, etc.) via this route, but you'll at least get compensated for the money you've spent.

Hope the wife and dog are okay.
Also not interested in reading 3+ pages of crap I already know about...

My black lab was attacked by TWO pits that dug under the fence when we lived in Austin. I heard her yelping, ran outside and slid to the ground and pried one of the pit's jaws from her neck while the other one had her near the chest. Neighbor hopped the fence, tossed pit #1 over and got #2 off. Thank God I worked from home as opposed to my wife.... dog would have been dead.

Polly was lucky, just a couple of very deep tears of the skin. She was stitched up and has been fine since.

Those pits were lucky I didn't grab a knife or some other kind of weapon on my way out. My first reaction was to just save my baby girl. :(

In before the #### storm
Why would there be a #### storm? Couldn't be more easy peasy lemon squeezy:

Put the dog down. The owner pays all costs and probably still gets sued.
Now do you see what I mean?

FTR, I have no clue what the best answer is. I own two yappy runt dogs that couldn't kill you if you let them bite you on the jugular for 10 minutes straight. All I know is I don't want my kids around most of those breeds on that list from page 2. I'd rather not have to worry about whether the owner is a good owner or not.

A lab put me in the hospital when I was a child because I was biking on a sidewalk. Had previously bitten another child as well.

Bottom line is that if you own an animal that has both aggressive tendencies (in the breed or from conditioning) and the physical ability kill or seriously maim...you're stupid.
Pretty much like owning a gun that you carry around at all times that has a loose trigger.

"Yes I realize there are nearly 500 breeds of dog in the world, but I needed to own THIS breed because it's the coolest and makes my friends and strangers think I'm tough."

Darwin really should just reach down and wipe like half of us from the planet, let's be honest.
But Our Gang's adorable Petey was a Pit Bull.....

Officer Pete Malloy said:
Thank you.

Any breed of dog can bite. It may just be a reaction to a kid pulling on its ears.

Unfortunately, Pitbulls and some other breeds do catastrophic damage when they do bite. Their bite is strong and they don't let go.

Our firm has handled hundreds of dog bite cases. At LEAST 70% are pitbull attacks. At LEAST 70% of those dog's owners say the dog never showed any aggressive behavior. Wouldn't hurt a fly. Sweet with children......but it happened and now someone's child is disfigured for LIFE.

One case really sticks in my mind. A two year old boy - cute as can be - had the left side of his face hanging off his skull because of a pitbull. He was playing in his own yard with his mother right there watching.

I'd say about half of homeowners now have animal exclusions, meaning they don't pay for injuries resulting from dog bites of any breed. The victim is on their own.

I think they are beautiful dogs, but Pitbulls and probably some other breeds should be outlawed for the same reason it's not legal to own a hyena. They just cause too much damage.

I just got somee pepper spray I plan to take with me or my wife when we go for walks with the kids. Way to many dogs off leash you never know.

Might pickup a tazer.

bigbottom said:
Ned said:
bigbottom said:

Sure. But some breeds require these measures to reduce the likelihood that they kill someone. Others do not.
:goodposting:

Our firm has handled hundreds of dog bite cases. At LEAST 70% are pitbull attacks. At LEAST 70% of those dog's owners say the dog never showed any aggressive behavior. Wouldn't hurt a fly. Sweet with children......but it happened and now someone's child is disfigured for LIFE.

One case really sticks in my mind. A two year old boy - cute as can be - had the left side of his face hanging off his skull because of a pitbull. He was playing in his own yard with his mother right there watching.
After reading this, I couldn't fathom owning a pit bull and risking causing this to someone's child. People are so dumb.

Not often I type this, but I'm with Otis on this one. I don't understand why someone would want to have a pit bull when there are perfectly good less-risky alternatives. Pitbulls are all perfectly docile, friendly, and loving until they're not. And when you find out for the first time that they have a wire loose, chances are some kid or other animal has paid the price. It's not like people don't know that this "breed" (used loosely to describe the group of dogs) has risky tendencies, yet people still insist on getting them.

My idea is not to ban the breed. Just make the owners responsible for whatever violent action the dog commits. Feel free to get a pit bull, but if you do and it attacks some kid, you're going to jail for assault. Perhaps manslaughter if the kid dies. Then we see how many people choose to get pit bulls.

Then again, it probably won't fix anything. People still keep guns in their home despite the statistical likelihood that said gun will hurt someone they wished it hadn't.

And all these people have the same power in a democracy as me. Sigh.

The owner should be shot before the dog.

And a speedy recovery for both, wife deserves something nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
fasteddie_21 said:
Thanks everyone. Got a call from the vet a little while ago. Asher is out of surgery and, simply by pure luck, didn't have any broken bones, his arteries, trachea and all important parts were missed. Just fairly serious muscle damage. He's should make a close to 100% recovery. The missus is really sore, stitches etc. but will recover.

Steelerfever, how does one go about finding out if/who his insurance is with? Or do I contact our home insurance? And thru work, we have a legal advice thing we can call, so that is the next step. We have to fill our police forms and the animal control guy stopped by saying that he wasn't going to quarantine the dog. I calmly told him that yes, yes he is. He got the point and will be quarantining the dog this afternoon, I guess.

Documenting everything and have a ton of witnesses, so we have that going for us. I very much am NOT the litigious sort, however....
Gianni's latest post is in line with my wife's observation about dog bite claims and a vast majority being pit bulls. Hopefully the police report will have the home insurance policy number on it. If not, ask the neighbor for his policy number. Your angle there is, "Hey buddy, I really don't want to have to sue you in civil court for damages where you'll have to pay out of pocket, mind getting me your insurance policy so I can file a simple claim?" Filing a claim against someone is not the same as suing someone, although some people take it that way. If my best friend's kid was over and my dog bit him, I'd be handing over my policy in a second. If those avenues fail, call your home insurance carrier and ask them how to get it done. Personally, I wouldn't be contacting any attorney's quite yet. Doesn't sound like this will be a huge claim so it's something you may be able to settle on your own without giving up 30-40% in fees. Honestly, this is pretty straightforward. Once you file the claim, they'll talk to your wife and witnesses. That insurance company will accept liability and when treatment is over, they'll offer you a settlement based on the medical records, lost wages if there were some, vet bill, etc..

Hope that helps.

Any breed of dog can bite. It may just be a reaction to a kid pulling on its ears.

Unfortunately, Pitbulls and some other breeds do catastrophic damage when they do bite. Their bite is strong and they don't let go.

I'd say about half of homeowners now have animal exclusions, meaning they don't pay for injuries resulting from dog bites of any breed. The victim is on their own.

I think they are beautiful dogs, but Pitbulls and probably some other breeds should be outlawed for the same reason it's not legal to own a hyena. They just cause too much damage.
And yet dudes like fantasycurse let their 1 1/2 year old ride them like a horse, feed them string cheese, and watch them lick his face when they're done. SMH.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
jomar said:
bigbottom said:

THISLabs are incredibly happy and passive dogs. I've owned labs for 18 years and I have not even seen one that displayed any aggression, even if provoked. They typically don't even fight back. I'm talking pure labs - not the pit mixed ones that are in many shelters.

I just got somee pepper spray I plan to take with me or my wife when we go for walks with the kids. Way to many dogs off leash you never know.

Might pickup a tazer.
A taser might not be such a good way to get a dog off someone they attacked. You may not get thanked later...

Might pickup a tazer.
A taser might not be such a good way to get a dog off someone they attacked. You may not get thanked later...
It might get the attacking dog to let go but good chance it will turn it's aggression on the person with the tazer. Kind of like swatting at an angry bee.

Might pickup a tazer.
It might get the attacking dog to let go but good chance it will turn it's aggression on the person with the tazer. Kind of like swatting at an angry bee.
I was more thinking that the current might travel from the dog to the person being bitten....

I'll answer the question, "Why own a Pitt bull (or similar breed)?". The simple answer is because somebody needs to! :shrug:

I've owned a lab/pit mix (Raja) and currently own a Presa Canario (Stella). I've had and currently have a lab, too.

I didn't choose to get these type of dogs. Raja was given to us by close friends who already had too many dogs. Raja was taken from an abusive home. She was kept in a box under a deck and weighed only 35 lbs when she was rescued. Her natural weight was 85-90lbs. Raja was probably the best dog I've ever had.

Stella- my next door neighbor passed a few years ago and 6 months later, his squatting ### nephew moves into his house. A few more months go by and I find out he has bred his female Presa. Another two months go by and he gives us Stella. I was dead set against it. My wife however, doesn't ever listen to me and took the dog. Now even though I don't want the dog (for reasons I'll go into later), after spending the next month caring for her, feeding, shots, daily baths from coming home to a poo covered dog, the accidents inside and Stella sleeping on my chest every single night, my wife was ready to listen to me. However I was attached to the dog now.

So why? Well, because they're alive. Somebody has to care for these dogs. If not me, then who? It's not as important as say adopting a child, but I don't have the resources to do that. I can however trade the companionship of these dogs for the care I can provide.

Stella is a pure bred Presa Canario. I would only recommend this dog to a strong man , who knows dogs and won't be intimidated by a strong willed, STRONG dog. She is great with kids but not so great with other dogs. Stella just wants to play, but the moment the other dog decides they don't feel like playing and get aggressive, it's go time. My dog never initiates things but boy does she know how to finish things.

Even though she has never once been aggressive to my kids, Sella is never with my kids by herself, for even a moment. She will never be outside a confined area w/o her leash. When it comes down to it, I am the only one who can control her.

Now who else is going to be responsible enough to make sure she is properly cared for and trained? I cant just drop her off at the pound. I can't give her up to just anybody who thinks it'll be "cool" to have a dog like this.

So my answer on "why " is only because of circumstance and experience. I have the will and experience to properly care for a enormous breed like my Presa. I didn't get her or Raja cause I thought it would be cool or needed a working dog.

These dogs are out there and it's better for the dogs and the general public that I have her.

- -I apologize for grammatical errors and poor formatting, I've been writing this response over the past two hours , between appointments and all on my tiny iPhone.

Got Asher home and we had to take his bandage off this morning. My heart broke seeing how bad the damage looked. He has lines of staples in 3 different place and a tube drain coming out of the bottom line of staples. We have to give him 5 different medications and use a sleeve of one of my t-shirts around his neck to catch the fluid that drains from the tube. He's resting, but definitely in a lot of pain.

I took him for a very short walk before we removed his bandages this morning, and he froze when I turned left from our house, as the attach happened at the corner of our house/street. So there is obvious mental & emotional stress that we will have to work on as well.

So sad and so pissed off. I'm just grateful we still have our boy. :tears:

Got Asher home and we had to take his bandage off this morning. My heart broke seeing how bad the damage looked. He has lines of staples in 3 different place and a tube drain coming out of the bottom line of staples. We have to give him 5 different medications and use a sleeve of one of my t-shirts around his neck to catch the fluid that drains from the tube. He's resting, but definitely in a lot of pain.

I took him for a very short walk before we removed his bandages this morning, and he froze when I turned left from our house, as the attach happened at the corner of our house/street. So there is obvious mental & emotional stress that we will have to work on as well.

Very sad post to read. I hope he recovers soon.

Just glad this is the dog instead of the wife (though it sucks to have happened at all). She's very lucky to get away with as little injury as she did.

msommer said:
3C said:
msommer said:

Might pickup a tazer.
I was more thinking that the current might travel from the dog to the person being bitten....
I figured that. Electricity is traveling between the two prongs. It will take the path of least resistance. It won't travel throughout the entire body of the dog and then to the person. Only way the person should get zapped is if he's in between the two prongs.

Sucks.

Just so you know your rights, the dog is considered property and you are entitled to a property damage claim for his medical bills, any loss of your time for his care - like transport to the vet. Pet medical supplies, etc.

Your wife is entitled to her medical bills and pain and suffering from her injuries. It didn't sound like she would have a lingering injury, but she may have a permanent injury in the form of a scar from the bite. Might even need scar revision surgery.

I would approach the dog owner and request his homeowners insurance name and policy number. If he cooperates, call the ins co and file a claim. If he doesn't, call a lawyer. They usually work on a contingency so you won't have to pay any lawyer fees out of pocket.

Hope your dog and wife heal soon.

Sucks.

Just so you know your rights, the dog is considered property and you are entitled to a property damage claim for his medical bills, any loss of your time for his care - like transport to the vet. Pet medical supplies, etc.

Your wife is entitled to her medical bills and pain and suffering from her injuries. It didn't sound like she would have a lingering injury, but she may have a permanent injury in the form of a scar from the bite. Might even need scar revision surgery.

I would approach the dog owner and request his homeowners insurance name and policy number. If he cooperates, call the ins co and file a claim. If he doesn't, call a lawyer. They usually work on a contingency so you won't have to pay any lawyer fees out of pocket.

This..

Sucks.

If his dog was not added to his homeowners will they tell him to pound sand?

Sucks.

Yes. Unfortunately.

Sucks.

Yes. Unfortunately.
Ugh, I assume this happens often?

People with pits or other dogs on the "list" probably do not get the dog added as the homeowner doesn't want to have his insurance increase?

Users who are viewing this thread