What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (1 Viewer)

Why you cheating on ol' Tips?
I know you're busting balls here, but serious answer.....  Part of the great thing about living in New Orleans is experiencing all of the different restaurants...and I hadn't had the full experience at this one yet.  We're lucky enough where we can literally try a different quality restaurant for dinner every time we go out to eat.  Outside of the places that I can walk to at lunch for work, I can guarantee that Tipsy's is one of the places in the city that I visit the most (4-5x a year)....for a place that's a 20 minute drive from my house.  If I lived closer, it would be more.

Last edited by a moderator:
much appreciated praise.  being a "regular" anywhere in town is tough because of all the options.   I go through a list of 10 places alone when thinking about having just vietnamese.  

Ok...the freaking eggrolls i made today are just stupid good.   Pulled pork or chicken & dry slaw mix tossed with asian flavored bbq sauce (my nola east).   Made another one with brisket, bacon, blue cheese, and jambalaya....pretty good but the slaw ones were better and the blue was a bit overpowering.   Going to make a smoked veggie one too.

I'm finally making it out last weekend of August :pickle:  

I'll probably only be able to eat there once. Sofie's choice looks like a laugh compared to the decisions I'm going to have to make here. 

I almost went by last night honestly but still haven't.  Great guys as far as I can tell in my minimal interaction w them.   I really am happy for them getting their own spot.  That smoker is impressive...most commercial bbq folks use them.  I sometimes wish I had one of the old hickories or southern prides because of the overnight action, but they just don't produce the same level of flavor my kind of pit does...i think.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be in the tap room or gotten the press I have without doing it old school....is that because it is so superior or simply the romantic vision of an all night fire burning?   I really wish I could test a few days of going head to head with my pit vs one like theirs, but with me doing all the meat prep & supervision so I know its as fair a battle as possible.
I will come help.....will work for jambalaya and burnt ends! 

I'm finally making it out last weekend of August :pickle:  

I'll probably only be able to eat there once. Sofie's choice looks like a laugh compared to the decisions I'm going to have to make here. 

So there's going to be like 12 of us. I'm thinking an all meats all sides for 5, 3 of them brisket cheese sammiches, a bunch of meat pies, a few egg rolls? And I'mREALLY hoping the spicy beer boiled peanuts are back by then. Love boiled peanuts and haven't had them in 10 years. 

So there's going to be like 12 of us. I'm thinking an all meats all sides for 5, 3 of them brisket cheese sammiches, a bunch of meat pies, a few egg rolls? And I'mREALLY hoping the spicy beer boiled peanuts are back by then. Love boiled peanuts and haven't had them in 10 years. 
Hello, food coma.

Remind me as we get near the date y'all are coming.  

We got our butts handed to us yesterday.  Remind me to cook more food next fathers day...even though I started with what I thought would certainly be too much.  They ran out of most of it before 7 and went to the snack & burger menu after that.   Poor guys were down two cooks yesterday and I know I'm about to hear about it from the ones that did have to work.  Hopefully the two dozen donuts will ease their hatred. 

d'oh....sorry @cactus.   Needed my moms pool and such over here in pensacola.  longest amount of time off since last May when I went to Memphis in May (where i work harder than i do at work but with jello shots)

Going to be interviewed and photographed making bbq, discussing bourbon & nola cocktails infused in cooking, and food demo stuff for a Scottish magazine....  I'm thinking I need some menu ideas from y'all:  Here is what I have so far:

Brexit Wings

Northern Ireland Carbomb souffle

Falling Pound cake

maybe not :)

Going to be interviewed and photographed making bbq, discussing bourbon & nola cocktails infused in cooking, and food demo stuff for a Scottish magazine....  I'm thinking I need some menu ideas from y'all:  Here is what I have so far:

Brexit Wings

Falling Pound cake

Turnberry Cobbler

Brexit Wings

Falling Pound cake

make scotch eggs with smoked sausage

d'oh....sorry @cactus.   Needed my moms pool and such over here in pensacola.  longest amount of time off since last May when I went to Memphis in May (where i work harder than i do at work but with jello shots)

No problem Man - I'll be back!

LOVED the Brisket, loved the Pulled Pork - also had the beans - everything was great. I was surprised at how extensive your menu is!

Your guys did seem kind of stressed though...

k

Use left over Q for a breakfast/brunch on the weekends? Biscuits and Gravy, Sausage and Eggs. Brisket and Eggs...Stupid or $? People are suckers for breakfast.

No problem Man - I'll be back!

LOVED the Brisket, loved the Pulled Pork - also had the beans - everything was great. I was surprised at how extensive your menu is!

Your guys did seem kind of stressed though...

k
I have two guys that have been bringing others down and they are making it fairly miserable back there right now.   One of them nearly got fired this weekend...and he has worked for me since 2003 when he was a 16 year old.   I had two different discussions with him and he will not have any more while keeping his job.  Sucks...but people burn out.

Use left over Q for a breakfast/brunch on the weekends? Biscuits and Gravy, Sausage and Eggs. Brisket and Eggs...Stupid or $? People are suckers for breakfast.
I have an very good brunch menu we have run before at the other store.  Things are too cramped here for running both menus, and since i'm known for the bbq it has to be offered.   When they build my second kitchen iit will be in full effect.

Pulled Pork Eggs Benedict

Brisket Hash & Eggs

Ribs & Grits with bbq choron sauce (the best damn thing ever)

Smoked Chicken Florentine

Rib, Smoked Mush & Onion, with cheddar omelette ...holy crap good.

Monte Cristo with pulled pork

having run one of the best brunches in town at dantes...its like riding a bike.  main obstacle however is lack of bloody mary or mimosa...only so many will enjoy a beermosa but some were down.

my facebook page, twitter, and instagram all have a lot of those photos from the past...don't view while hungry.

Central City BBQ opens in the fall and everyone else will be on notice.  Chef Rob teaming up with Aaron Burgau is a great move for both.  I have no illusions of being the media darling anymore once they open.  Aaron has a great NOLA reputation as a chef & restauranteur with multiple things going already and Rob makes killer bbq...especially his brisket.  I think  my other meats beat his, but his brisket is hard to argue against.  I will say mine is on a whole new level the last few months since we went even lower & slower on the pits...and I'd be happy to go head to head with anybody on any given day.   Maybe not Franklin :)
I'll go H2H with you Tipsy.  I doubt I would win but I just want to eat some of your brisket , especially some of your burnt ends. 

oof...17 hours yesterday so I could set up offsite  & outside to vend at one of my favorite bars.  remind me not to do that in the summer again.

I feel your pain, a little. I was cooking until mid-afternoon yesterday here in SC sweating my ### off. I must have changed shirts 4 times. Found  out on the 6pm news that we set a record high of 104 and a record high for the low @ 79 degrees. You and pitmasters everywhere gained more of my respect yesterday.

Finally going to run a Jamaican Pop Up next week.  One of my guys makes the best Jerk I have ever had, including two trips to Jamaica.  Here is the menu:

Chef Andy & Pitmaster Neil are hosting a one night Jamaican feast at the NOLA Brewing Tap Room this coming Monday, July 11 starting @ 4pm. Here is the menu:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conch & Shrimp Fritters with Lime . Horseradish. Pickapeppa

Flash Fried Calamari w Pineapple. Curry. Lemon.

Smoked Jerk Chicken w Jerk Gravy. Pickled Pepper Jam

Curried Goat w Smoked Curry Gravy

Snapper Escovitch pan fried with carrots, Scotch Bonnets, allspice champagne vinegar

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jerk Spareribs pecan smoked with Appleton Rum Glaze

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dat Burger with 2 run farm beef, brisket burnt ends, candied peppers, smoked onions, pepperjack, and Jerk Gravy on Brioche

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sides:  Coconut Rice & Peas, Curried Cabbage, Coco Bread, and Spicy Beef Patty (like a meat pie)

It will be EPIC.

Finally going to run a Jamaican Pop Up next week.  One of my guys makes the best Jerk I have ever had, including two trips to Jamaica.  Here is the menu:

Chef Andy & Pitmaster Neil are hosting a one night Jamaican feast at the NOLA Brewing Tap Room this coming Monday, July 11 starting @ 4pm. Here is the menu:

Conch & Shrimp Fritters with Lime . Horseradish. Pickapeppa

Flash Fried Calamari w Pineapple. Curry. Lemon.

Smoked Jerk Chicken w Jerk Gravy. Pickled Pepper Jam

Curried Goat w Smoked Curry Gravy

Snapper Escovitch pan fried with carrots, Scotch Bonnets, allspice champagne vinegar

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jerk Spareribs pecan smoked with Appleton Rum Glaze

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dat Burger with 2 run farm beef, brisket burnt ends, candied peppers, smoked onions, pepperjack, and Jerk Gravy on Brioche

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sides:  Coconut Rice & Peas, Curried Cabbage, Coco Bread, and Spicy Beef Patty (like a meat pie)

It will be EPIC.
:goodposting:

oh...it was epic indeed.  90 people in a little over 2 hours.  We were out of food before the normal dinner hour even started.   Planning another one for August 15th if any of you Jerks want some Smoked Jerk Prime Rib.

I do want to clarify :  The food was all from my assistant pit master.  I helped cook it, but creatively I did nothing except bounce ideas with him.  

Just tried Urban Bar-B-Que here outside lovely Baltimore.  Got the brisket plate with 2 sides and a drink (also came with a piece of cornbread).  $14 before tax.  There were 4 decent sized strips of brisket, I'd say about 1/3 of a pound plus a piece of bread.  The brisket was super tender but lacked that smokey flavor.  The smoke ring was very small also.  I got the bar-b-que ranch beans and mac & cheese sides.  The beans were just ok and I'm saving the mac for my daughter.

Overall 5/10.  They had 6 sauces, which were pretty good but overall not a great value taste or quantity wise for the money.  Tips, get your ### up here and open up a place please.

I'll next be reviewing a local place that just popped up and has everyone in my community raving.  I had their pulled pork and it was good, but I need to get a proper plate to fully review.

oh...it was epic indeed.  90 people in a little over 2 hours.  We were out of food before the normal dinner hour even started.   Planning another one for August 15th if any of you Jerks want some Smoked Jerk Prime Rib.

I do want to clarify :  The food was all from my assistant pit master.  I helped cook it, but creatively I did nothing except bounce ideas with him.  
How solid is the date?  May schedule my August trip to Louisiana to coincide.  Also, how long will the meat pies be on the menu?

How solid is the date?  May schedule my August trip to Louisiana to coincide.  Also, how long will the meat pies be on the menu?
Solid.   Come on!

Meat pies specifically for Jamaican night are that night only...and quite frankly we can do better.  My normal meat pies come and go depending on my work load and mood.   Request a few days ahead and I may be able to produce some for ya!   They will be more full time once the second kitchen gets built.  Right now i'm really struggling with prep space.

Hey Tipsy or any other NO guys....who has the best Poboys and seafood gumbo in town? Gonna be there at the end of the month, and besides NOLA brewing for BBQ, I need some recommendations. TIA

Hey Tipsy or any other NO guys....who has the best Poboys and seafood gumbo in town? Gonna be there at the end of the month, and besides NOLA brewing for BBQ, I need some recommendations. TIA
where are you staying?  what kind of po boys?  Seafood, roast beef, etc?

Tiger Fan said:
where are you staying?  what kind of po boys?  Seafood, roast beef, etc?
Probably staying at the Catahoula on Union. Roast beef and shrimp poboys. And seafood gumbo. I'll drive anywhere in the city for the good stuff.

Probably staying at the Catahoula on Union. Roast beef and shrimp poboys. And seafood gumbo. I'll drive anywhere in the city for the good stuff.
My favorites places for what you're looking for:

Gumbo - http://www.gumbostop.com/ - this is in Metairie, about a 20 minute drive from where you're staying.  It's in a strip mall, but the gumbo is freaking amazing.  They do serve po boys there, but I've never had them.  I would assume they are good though.

Po boys - Johnny's po boys - in the french quarter, you can walk there.  Cash only.  They also serve gumbo here...never had it, but again, assume it's good

Users who are viewing this thread