What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Montee Ball (2 Viewers)

We can wonder all day, but it is what it is. That TD Hillman broke off the other day (the 37-yarder or whatever) is a play Ball probably would have gotten 8-10 yards cause of how big the hole was, and then because of his lack of burst and wiggle, would have gotten tackled by someone. I was never a big Hillman fan, but he is showing a burst that the running game needs. It sure beats Ball plodding ahead for 3 yards every time.
Not to downplay Hillman, but it is ironic that Hillman's biggest run was where he actually misread his blocks on a play that was designed to go right. So really, if Hillman had ran correctly, he too may have only gotten 8-10 yds. I'm not trying to defend Ball's inefficiency, but it is a little funny that Hillman got rewarded by running the wrong direction.
Huh? I would tend to look at that as a player seeing a bigger hole was open somewhere else and made a big play out of it; not every play is gonna go exactly by design. Perhaps Hillman just had an instinct that resulted in a big play. It's been known to happen.
Go back and watch it. Even the announcers called him out. This was not a "good vision" type of play, but rather a "got lucky" run.

Again, not downplaying Hillman's overall talent to make big plays, just ironic that on this instance, it was a result of him starting out running the wrong direction.

This reminded me of the plays where the coach is on the sideline yelling, "NO, NO, NO", and then after the play turns out positive, going "good job"

As a Ball owner, the only reason I'm holding onto him is because we have a IR spot. Hillman looks great, I'm just hoping Ball comes back to a short yardage and goalline role at this point.

This is just silly. You guys holding on to Ball better start writing/signing petitions or praying for Hillman fumbles... and with respect to the latter, I believe he buys a bit more rope with every passing game.

Look, things change very fast... call it stock-up/stock-down, whatever... two weeks ago it was CJ Anderson that was "clearly so much" better than Hillman, and now he's healthy and no where on the radar. Ball looked bad, got hurt... why on earth would he come back and bump Hillman out?

In a redraft league you would be crazy to hang on to him.
I think Ball resumes the starting RB role for more than what happens on the field. Many coaches still subscribe to the notion that you don't lose your job due to injury and I am guessing they worry about potential negative consequences in the locker room (although not playing the guy who is performing better carries its own consequences). It's a very fine line.

I think this could play out something like we see happening in Indy where Bradshaw is getting 41% of the RB touches and Richardson is getting 53%. That would be a big change for Ball from the 70% or so he was getting early in the season.

I've finally given up any hope for Ball. Hillman is fast and looks good out there. Ball with his ripped grion is not coming back and taking over this season. It's over.

Anyone who believes Ball still has a starting job when he gets back either owns him or hasn't been paying attention the past few weeks. This offense runs much better with Hillman toting the rock. It is painfully clear how unproductive Ball was before his injury.

People should take some solace in Juwan Thompson's 2 TDs tonight. When he comes back Ball will probably be the guy to get those options.

I cut him at waiver time.

1) Ripped his muscle OFF the bone.

2) Hillman is producing.

3) RIPPED HIS MUSCLE OFF THE BONE!!!

There's no way he comeback to full strength this season. Players lose effectiveness with strains and pulls...I don't care what time table they set, but no way he's at full strength when his groin muscle is ripped off the bone.

Tonight Elway said they hope to have Ball back in 2-3 weeks, which would be week 10 or 11. That would mean a recovery timetable of 5-6 weeks.

I'm no doctor, but according to this website a torn groin recovery can take anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks. From the sounds of it, Montee's tear is on the more severe side of things. With that and the physicality required of the RB position in mind it seems like a week 10 or 11 return is incredibly optimistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
its really amazing that the coaching staff was so sold on this guy over hillman. hillman is just so obv a ton better.

I cut him at waiver time.

1) Ripped his muscle OFF the bone.

2) Hillman is producing.

3) RIPPED HIS MUSCLE OFF THE BONE!!!

There's no way he comeback to full strength this season. Players lose effectiveness with strains and pulls...I don't care what time table they set, but no way he's at full strength when his groin muscle is ripped off the bone.
Reminiscent of Fred Taylor's "groin separation"... hard to envision Ball getting his health back to 100% and his confidence in that injury in time to have any relevance this fantasy season.

We can wonder all day, but it is what it is. That TD Hillman broke off the other day (the 37-yarder or whatever) is a play Ball probably would have gotten 8-10 yards cause of how big the hole was, and then because of his lack of burst and wiggle, would have gotten tackled by someone. I was never a big Hillman fan, but he is showing a burst that the running game needs. It sure beats Ball plodding ahead for 3 yards every time.
Not to downplay Hillman, but it is ironic that Hillman's biggest run was where he actually misread his blocks on a play that was designed to go right. So really, if Hillman had ran correctly, he too may have only gotten 8-10 yds. I'm not trying to defend Ball's inefficiency, but it is a little funny that Hillman got rewarded by running the wrong direction.
Huh? I would tend to look at that as a player seeing a bigger hole was open somewhere else and made a big play out of it; not every play is gonna go exactly by design. Perhaps Hillman just had an instinct that resulted in a big play. It's been known to happen.
Go back and watch it. Even the announcers called him out. This was not a "good vision" type of play, but rather a "got lucky" run.

Again, not downplaying Hillman's overall talent to make big plays, just ironic that on this instance, it was a result of him starting out running the wrong direction.

This reminded me of the plays where the coach is on the sideline yelling, "NO, NO, NO", and then after the play turns out positive, going "good job"
He had another big run last night. Another thing besides hitting the hole better/faster, Hillman can turn the corner better than Ball.

Maybe Ball has gotten a bad rep this year and maybe he comes back next year but Hillman has shown what this team needs in the run game.

Hillman is just a better fit for the DEN offense. Faster, better hands, and even when Hillman was getting hit in the backfield, he was still able to spin his way to 1-2 yd gains.

Ball will take the Thompson role.....if he can even return this year 100%....I don't think Ball will be 100% at any time this year.

Why did Ball get the job in the first place? I mean, he just seemed to ascend the position by virtue of his draft status. The problem of course being the Hillman is A) Younger and B) of similar draft position. It's like it was some kind of manifest destiny that he got the job.

Manning and Fox must have seen something in Ball. Sure wasn't rushing skill. Ball's best game came on opening weekend vs the Colts. A meager 16 fantasy points. Hillman has bested that total twice. Now obviously the real NFL guys don't care about fantasy points but just in terms of production, Hillman's floor has been Ball's ceiling.

Why did Ball get the job in the first place? I mean, he just seemed to ascend the position by virtue of his draft status. The problem of course being the Hillman is A) Younger and B) of similar draft position. It's like it was some kind of manifest destiny that he got the job.

Manning and Fox must have seen something in Ball. Sure wasn't rushing skill. Ball's best game came on opening weekend vs the Colts. A meager 16 fantasy points. Hillman has bested that total twice. Now obviously the real NFL guys don't care about fantasy points but just in terms of production, Hillman's floor has been Ball's ceiling.
Draft position. He is more dynamic than Anderson. Hillman is a FA so I think they were just hoping Ball would work out. No reason not to think that, he was pretty so,I'd in the later part of last season.

Ball comes back to the goal line, change of pace role. Maybe if he performs he gets his job back fully, but I don't know how the denver coaches can bench Hillman outright, he's been awesome.

The good news for Ball owners is that Ball was startable in the later part of the year as the goal line back...

Tonight Elway said they hope to have Ball back in 2-3 weeks, which would be week 10 or 11. That would mean a recovery timetable of 5-6 weeks.

I'm no doctor, but according to this website a torn groin recovery can take anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks. From the sounds of it, Montee's tear is on the more severe side of things. With that and the physicality required of the RB position in mind it seems like a week 10 or 11 return is incredibly optimistic.
No injury is the same as another.

Balls time table of a 5-6 week return to sport is quite reasonable

No injury is the same as another.

Balls time table of a 5-6 week return to sport is quite reasonable
So we are still 2 weeks away from seeing what happens with ball?

Boy, I sure do love it when this thread pops up. This one placed the foundation of my dynasty team in very good shape.

Montee Ball..... :lmao:

Draft position. He is more dynamic than Anderson. Hillman is a FA so I think they were just hoping Ball would work out. No reason not to think that, he was pretty so,I'd in the later part of last season.

Ball comes back to the goal line, change of pace role. Maybe if he performs he gets his job back fully, but I don't know how the denver coaches can bench Hillman outright, he's been awesome.

The good news for Ball owners is that Ball was startable in the later part of the year as the goal line back...
Hillman is signed through 2015.

No injury is the same as another.Balls time table of a 5-6 week return to sport is quite reasonable
I don't know Balls specific injury but I don't think its ridiculous to suggest he could start practicing next week, with a time table of 2-3 weeks returning to games. He's not crippled. He can do a lot of other strengthening, even light running without putting strain on his injury. It's not like he's sitting on his couch eating Cheetos, 5-6 weeks after his injury he's gonna put pads on and expect to play. I think it would surprise people how much he actually is in "game shape" still, to some degree. Cutting is going to be the problem, but it looked like that was a problem even before the injury for Ball.

Hillman is signed through 2015.
Interesting, I read somewhere that he was a FA. I think it was a FBG email :)

No injury is the same as another.Balls time table of a 5-6 week return to sport is quite reasonable
I don't know Balls specific injury but I don't think its ridiculous to suggest he could start practicing next week, with a time table of 2-3 weeks returning to games.He's not crippled. He can do a lot of other strengthening, even light running without putting strain on his injury. It's not like he's sitting on his couch eating Cheetos, 5-6 weeks after his injury he's gonna put pads on and expect to play. I think it would surprise people how much he actually is in "game shape" still, to some degree. Cutting is going to be the problem, but it looked like that was a problem even before the injury for Ball.
If it's the same game shape that he was to start the season then I doubt anyone will be surprised.

I don't know Balls specific injury but I don't think its ridiculous to suggest he could start practicing next week, with a time table of 2-3 weeks returning to games.He's not crippled. He can do a lot of other strengthening, even light running without putting strain on his injury. It's not like he's sitting on his couch eating Cheetos, 5-6 weeks after his injury he's gonna put pads on and expect to play. I think it would surprise people how much he actually is in "game shape" still, to some degree. Cutting is going to be the problem, but it looked like that was a problem even before the injury for Ball.
If it's the same game shape that he was to start the season then I doubt anyone will be surprised.
I agree that he started the season slow and I expect him to return slow, but a lot of people seem to think when a player gets hurt they just sit. That's all i was trying to point out. I'm not suggesting he's going to come back and look sharp, I think it's clear that ship has sailed for 2014

Rotoworld:

Montee Ball (groin) remains sidelined at Broncos practice.

Ball's original 2-3 week timetable has already passed, so now we're just in waiting mode. After a DNP to kick off the week, we're not expecting to see Ball against the Patriots in Week 9. It'll likely be Ronnie Hillman and Juwan Thompson again, while Ball isn't a must-hold anymore. Hillman is simply a better fit in this offense as the better athlete. Ball will be a mere change of pace.

Source: Ben Volin on Twitter
Oct 29 - 3:34 PM

Ball has to be getting closer to 100% by now, right? I know that Hillman has produced and has earned his spot in the offense...but I am thinking that Ball might be in line for some carries - maybe 7-10 - when he is healthy.

Isotopes said:
Ball has to be getting closer to 100% by now, right? I know that Hillman has produced and has earned his spot in the offense...but I am thinking that Ball might be in line for some carries - maybe 7-10 - when he is healthy.
i'd guess a near even timeshare at best for ball... he hasn't even gotten a limited session in yet, so he's at least 2 weeks away

Isotopes said:
i'd guess a near even timeshare at best for ball... he hasn't even gotten a limited session in yet, so he's at least 2 weeks away
A near even timeshare? what the....Ball wasn't even 1/2 as productive as Hillman has been. He's a clear backup to Hillman when/if he returns.

Don't think its even debatable at this point

Isotopes said:
A near even timeshare? what the....Ball wasn't even 1/2 as productive as Hillman has been. He's a clear backup to Hillman when/if he returns.

I am not disagreeing with that statement. I do think he will get some snaps when he returns - probably more than Juwan Thompson has been getting....and could possibly become a goal line vulture.

I was more curious about his recovery timeline.

Isotopes said:

note the at best part, my point being he isnt getting the 70%+ carries he was getting before the injury

I am not disagreeing with that statement. I do think he will get some snaps when he returns - probably more than Juwan Thompson has been getting....and could possibly become a goal line vulture.

My guess, which I imagine is as good (or bad) as anyone's at this point, is that Ball will essentially inheret the role Thompson is occupying now. I don't think Thompson has done anything incredible in Ball's absence and the two have similar skill sets IMO. So, if I had to bet I'd say 6-8 carries and goal line work for Ball when he returns.

My guess, which I imagine is as good (or bad) as anyone's at this point, is that Ball will essentially inheret the role Thompson is occupying now. I don't think Thompson has done anything incredible in Ball's absence and the two have similar skill sets IMO. So, if I had to bet I'd say 6-8 carries and goal line work for Ball when he returns.
I would agree with this. Not only that, they can use Ball as a decoy in GL situations, we all know Peyton prefers to throw it down there anyways...

Did I miss something? Didn't Hillman have a couple of problems in pass pro against the Pats a couple days ago?

Hillman is definitely the more dynamic back but I don't think Ball will be totally dismissed (when healthy) either. My guess is it's more 60-40 Hillman.

Did I miss something? Didn't Hillman have a couple of problems in pass pro against the Pats a couple days ago?

Hillman is definitely the more dynamic back but I don't think Ball will be totally dismissed (when healthy) either. My guess is it's more 60-40 Hillman.
yes Hillman whiffed a couple times, once badly.

Is Montee Ball a plus blocker? I really dont know

Yes, he had a couple. Pass pro problems happen to every back from time to time and I don't remember it being a problem with Hillman in any of the previous games he started. I doubt it will have a substantial effect, by itself, on his playing time going forward.

I don't think Ball will be totally dismissed, and my prediction is he takes the Thompson role. Assuming 16-18 carries for Hillman and 6-8 for Ball that roughly a 70-30 split, but it's obviously very reasonable to predict it would be closer to 60-40.

yes Hillman whiffed a couple times, once badly.

Is Montee Ball a plus blocker? I really dont know
Pass pro was something he struggled with at the beginning of his rookie year, but he improved substantially as the season went on. It's no longer area of concern for him, but I have yet to see anyone claim that it's something he excels at or is superior, on average, to Hillman on.

I am paper thin at rb and took a flyer on Ball - he was dropped two weeks ago and has been lingering on the waiver wire. I am hoping he can contribute in some way down the stretch.

Ball was just dropped in my league. Worth it to take a flyer on him over Sims or Oliver (both currently on bench)? Most likely gonna ride my bench ROS but considering grabbing anyway. 10 team non PPR redraft

Been holding him all year. Hope it wasn't in vain. Not sure what to expect, but hoping he gets some kind of consistent role back. Not very optimistic though TBH.

Ball was just dropped in my league. Worth it to take a flyer on him over Sims or Oliver (both currently on bench)? Most likely gonna ride my bench ROS but considering grabbing anyway. 10 team non PPR redraft
Yes, over either IMO.
I disagree, depending on rosters, bench length etc. in a small league you don't need guys in split situations. If you want to make waves you need to find that found stud who can take you to the championship.

Oliver is now second fiddle but startable in a pinch as a flex. Ball, who knows. Even if 100% (not likely returning from a significant groin injury) Hillman holds the job there.

Sims? He could explode or fizzle... But he likely has more upside than the others outside of say hillman getting injured.

I disagree, depending on rosters, bench length etc. in a small league you don't need guys in split situations. If you want to make waves you need to find that found stud who can take you to the championship.

Oliver is now second fiddle but startable in a pinch as a flex. Ball, who knows. Even if 100% (not likely returning from a significant groin injury) Hillman holds the job there.

Sims? He could explode or fizzle... But he likely has more upside than the others outside of say hillman getting injured.
Sims is an unknown so there is certainly room to be optimistic. I personally own Sims and not Ball. That being said, Sims is operating in an inept offensive and behind a subpar offensive line. There is nothing to indicate he will take the lions share of carries away from Rainey, and it's very likely he could end up in a RBBC, i.e., exactly what could happen with Ball.

Further, half of the production of the Denver offense is better than the full production from Tampa's. Denver will be ahead more and be able to establish and maintain a consistent running game in most instances, and the backs are generally involved in the passing game. Denver will have more red-zone and TD opportunities for its backs.

IMO Sims is too much of an unknown and is potentially coming into a 3rd down role or RBBC situation on a poor offense. Is there potential he could take over the backfield and produce? Sure. However, I think Ball has an outside shot of doing the same thing (Hillman owner here) and will be coming into a better offensive situation if they both land in committees. Ball > Sims > Oliver.

I wouldn't count Ball out by a long shot. Fox said, " He has worked hard. Lost weight. He looks good." ...That's without a full week of practice under his belt. Hillman's 10 carries for 16 yards last week doesn't exactly open the door for Ball, but it doesn't close it either. ...Just a handful of weeks ago it was Ball who was considered to be the Broncos best back.

Ball may end up being a bigger bust than AP.
I think Ball, for his ADP, can already be safely labeled as a bust even before seeing how this plays out. It's just a matter of what value he retains for those that get him for the cheap or what he can salvage for those owners that have desperately hung on to this point.

I wouldn't count Ball out by a long shot. Fox said, " He has worked hard. Lost weight. He looks good." ...That's without a full week of practice under his belt. Hillman's 10 carries for 16 yards last week doesn't exactly open the door for Ball, but it doesn't close it either. ...Just a handful of weeks ago it was Ball who was considered to be the Broncos best back.
Ball gas been dropped this week in 2 of 3 leagues I am in. Unfortunately, both are really short benches and I'm decent at RB. That said, I agree with you. Ball was brutal, but his early schedule was brutal. Think Lacy. Holman hasn't been favored over him when healthy so it's not out of the question for him to be the lead back when healthy. I've got to look and see if I have room for him. Worth taking a risk on a 1st round FF pick.

Took a flier on him in a short bench league and I like what I'm reading in this article, particularly:

Ball said he’s now at 212 pounds and plans to stay there in the foreseeable future. As a point of reference, Ball weighed 214 pounds at the scouting combine before the 2013 draft and weighed in at 214 again at his pro day at the University of Wisconsin a week later.

“I can move better, hit the holes faster … I feel a lot more comfortable at this weight," Ball said. “I didn’t like it [at 224 pounds] … I’m going to stick right here, stick where I’m at now and will most definitely show the difference."

I'm going to hold and hope that he gets a 50/50 split by the time the fantasy playoffs roll around.

Took a flier on him in a short bench league and I like what I'm reading in this article, particularly:

Ball said he’s now at 212 pounds and plans to stay there in the foreseeable future. As a point of reference, Ball weighed 214 pounds at the scouting combine before the 2013 draft and weighed in at 214 again at his pro day at the University of Wisconsin a week later.

“I can move better, hit the holes faster … I feel a lot more comfortable at this weight," Ball said. “I didn’t like it [at 224 pounds] … I’m going to stick right here, stick where I’m at now and will most definitely show the difference."

I'm going to hold and hope that he gets a 50/50 split by the time the fantasy playoffs roll around.
ugh, I hope not as a Ball/Hillman owner. I'm going to send him Krispy Kreme gift cards.

Users who are viewing this thread