What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Friend...The Alcoholic 11/23/16 (2 Viewers)

Arizona Ron

Footballguy
I was notified several weeks ago that I need to move in a few months; the condo owner thinks found a buyer for the place.  The current owner and I are friends, I’ve been living there with no lease just paying month-to-month.  No sweat, it was the hand shake deal going in anyway.

One of my colleagues has a wife who does real estate in DC and has been trying to get me connect with her to buy in the city.  I’ve been avoiding buying since my wife and I split – I think some of it is because I believe I’ll actually live in my own house again on the VA side of the river.  The other apprehension is I just don’t like the thought of living in DC but most of the business is there, I hang out there and my circle of friends is there.  Ice (female friend of mine) stayed at my place last night and didn’t want to go home so I took her with me to go Condo shopping with me.

My colleagues’ wife set up a few private owner willing to rent for a year with the option to buy; I was even willing to pay 6-months up front, if needed, but would also consider an out-right buy if the price was right.  I prefer a get-away option if I really don’t like living in DC though.  Living in Arlington was hard enough when it comes to being close to my daughter, DC just adds another 30+ minutes on to it.  Not from a mileage perspective but from a shear daily traffic unknowns that go on with DC every day.

Today is no different; while I’m driving to meet Ice and the real estate agent in Mt. Vernon to check out condos, New York Ave is blocked with ‘Black Lives Matters’ protesters.  Ice is yelling out of her car and giving the protesters the finger:

Me:  Ice, chill don’t make this worst FFS

Ice: #### them, traffic in this city already sucks without this BS. 

Me: (The real estate agent calls during and apologized saying she’s 45+ minutes away) let’s grab a drink and sit this out.  There’s a hipster bar near here, “poets and something” or other.  I U-turn and negotiate my way to the parking garage nearby.

While we’re walking out of the parking garage to the bar, Ice asks me:

Ice:  “So who’s this chick?  I saw her online profile - She’s cute”

Me:  “Who, the real estate agent?”

Ice:  “Yeah, what’s her deal?  You sullied this one yet or no?”

Me:  “No, she’s married to a dude I do business with   :shrug:

Ice:  “So if I bull her while you’re getting cucked in the corner, I guess you know it’s home sweet home right?  Sign the paperwork right there?”

Me:  “For one, that’s not going to happen and, two, a chick can’t be a bull.  Only a dude can do that.”

We get to the bar:

Host: “table for two?”

Ice:  “no, we’ll just go to the bar”

We sit at the bar.  The bartender comes over, introduces herself and stretches her hand out to shake.  Ice shakes her hand smiling at her, I wave hi and act like I don’t see her hand while turning to Ice.

Me:  “So thoughts on living in DC?”

Ice:  (Ice completely ignores my attempt at changing the conversation and says this in front of the bartender while she’s trying to get us drinks) “So by your logic, what if two guys, a couple, invite third guy in.  One of the couple sits and observes his significant getting plowed by a third party?  The third party is the bull, the dude watching is the cuck, right?

Me: (the bartender is looking at me oddly) “Arnold Palmer, thanks” (I turn to Ice – lowing my voice in an attempt to make her do the same) in that example yes…I guess so, but that wouldn’t be the case with three chicks”.

Ice: “Why?” (turns to the bartender) “double vodka, soda and a splash of cran”.

Me:  “No, wait you’re changing up the whole premise.  You said if you bull the real estate agent then I’ll be the cuck and I’ll feel at home.  Right?   The real estate agent and I aren’t a thing so if you hook up with her, it means nothing to me.  I’m just a dude watching two chicks make out.  Also, who says I’d stay there to watch?”

Ice:  “You’re getting cucked, dude - by this bull ##### right here

Me:  “Doubt it, she seems somewhat of a prude from her profile info”

Ice:  (downs the first drink, orders another) “that’s the best kind, watch – literally”.

I get a call from the real estate agent, she says she’s looking for parking and will meet us at the building shortly; I ask the bartender for the check but Ice quickly orders another drink on the tab.

Me: “We need to go”

Ice: “That ##### can wait, she’s already late and we’re buying – she’s selling”

Umm, technically I’m buying but whatever - I pay the check.  We start walking out of the bar to the condo building

Ice:  “What’s your deal with not shaking hands anyway?”

Me: “Hands are gross”

Ice: “You’ll bang a chick with no condom but get weirded out by shaking hands.  Hell, just few nights ago you were biting that trashy chicks #### in the club”

Me: “I could argue the average nipple is cleaner than the average hand”

Ice: “Nipples sweat too”

Me: “Yeah but no one wipes their ### with a nipple; I guess the only chance would be if someone takes a dump on a chicks nipples – which reminds me, I have a dentist appointment I need to reschedule next week”.

Ice: “You have some real deep seeded issues Ronnie boy”

Me: “Says the dike who wants to cuck her friend while banging some NOVA-mom real estate agent”

It’s not real hot today but hot enough.  I’m in grey pants and white shirt by Club Monaco and black Bally loafers.  Ice is in a pleated skirt, rose printed silk shirt and heals – I really can’t tell if Ice is wearing Burberry or something she bought from boutique store that sells cheap clothes and costume jewelry at times; this is one of those times.

We meet the real estate agent in the condo lobby; we quickly realized her online profile picture is a little ‘dated’.  She looked like Britt McHenry in her profile picture and business card but looks more like Dana Bash in person.   I glare at Ice to see this look of disappointment   :lol:

We exchanged pleasantries and proceeded to do a walk through.  While she’s showing us around the condo; I couldn’t help but do things like “So Ice, what if I put a sitting chair in this corner – what do you think?” Ice is making chocking gestures behind the real estate agent’s back.

It was a long day, we looked at a few buildings around K St. in the Mt. Vernon area but I couldn’t find one that made sense.  None were close enough to reasonably walk to work and I like having my car with me anyway.  Ice disappears for a bit while I’m working out verbal ‘what-if’s’ to rent, rent-to-own or purchase with the agent.  I’d still have to pay for monthly parking near my office – I figure if I’m going to drive anyway, I might as well be on the VA side.  The entire idea just didn’t make sense.

I told the real estate agent I needed time to think things over but was very honest that I didn’t see a scenario at the time that made real sense.   She offered to show me other places for sale but I said we’ll do that another day – it’s late in the afternoon.  I call Ice to figure out her whereabouts; she’s back at the bar.  I walk back to the bar to catch up with her and she’s surrounded by a few young guys that look fresh out of the office.   Ice is in drunk-loud-mid-story mode while the bartender is looking at me with the ‘get your friend out of here’ eyes.

Me: “Ice, let’s go”

One of guys stepped between me and Ice:  “She’s fine bro” (tough guy look).

I tilt my head looking at this dude, with a “really?” face 

I’ve never claimed to be Van Damme but this guy might be 5’ 4” 140lbs (it’s always the smallest dude starting ####…always…).  As much of an ### Ice can be, she’s still someone I really care about – I’m not leaving her day-drunk in a bar full of strangers.  Ice can handle herself (well usually) but it’s principal.

Bartender speaks up and defused the situation:  “She’s with him (referring to me), she has to go”

Tough Guy, trying to save face, reaches to Ice to get her attention while saying, “are you going to be (interrupted)”

Ice: “GET YOUR ####ING HANDS OFF ME” – Tough Guy apologizes and steps back.

That gets the attention of the entire place; the Bartender tells me to take her with me – we leave.

I drive the both of us back to my place – I take my laptop onto the deck to smoke and attend to a few emails while Ice is in my kitchen powering through vodka.

I’m not sure what’s up with Ice lately; she’s been a partier as longs as I’ve known her but it she seems to drink with determination now.  I walk to the kitchen to get a drink, Ice is on her phone in just panties and a t-shirt; she’s white-girl wasted at this point talking in cursive then hands me the phone with a, “please deal with this person” attitude towards the person on the phone – It’s Amber (my ex wife’s ex who hooks up with Ice off and on).  Amber says she’s close by and needs to stop over to speak to Ice.

Amber shows up about an hour or so later.  I’m in sweatshorts and tee watching TV while Ice is passed out on the adjacent couch.  Amber walks in, doesn’t look happy.

Me:  Hey Amber, it’s been a while...

(Amber walks by me without speaking, looks around a bit then sees Ice passed out on the couch.)

Amber: (Looking at me now, pissed) WTF is wrong with you?

Me:  Excuse me?

Amber:  Why do you keep doing this to her?

Me: Time out – doing what?

Amber:  Why do you let her get like this? (visibly shaken)

Me:  Amber, please sit down.

(Amber starts preening herself to hold back tears, then finally sits down.  I also sit but restrain myself from immediately demanding an explanation – I wait avoiding eye contact with her until she’s at ease.)

Amber:  Ron, she’s not well.

Me:  Well we know that, haha (my stupid grin is wiped away by Amber’s serious demeanor).

Amber:  Did she tell you she was in the hospital last week?  Again?

Me:  What?  No, and again?  Again, for what!?!?

Amber:  It was for alcohol Ron.  She drinks all day, eats like crap and still runs outside for hours; the first time it happened was a few weeks ago.  She was over my place and woke up with her heart racing – I thought she was overdosing or something so I took her to the ER.  She wouldn’t tell me what happened but I found her discharge papers in her car.  They treated her for dehydration and detoxing from alcohol.   Then last week she said she wanted to stop drinking so I stayed with her but then it happened again.  Now you have her over here with alcohol all over your place.  Ice gave me her house keys to check on her; I kept finding bottles around her house and generally trying to help her quit drinking. 

(I honestly haven’t noticed Ice’s problem; I don’t hang around her for long periods of time unless we’re partying then of course she’s drunk but I didn’t know this was an everyday thing.) 

Me: I’d like to help and I apologize for not realizing what’s going on.

Amber:  Well help me get her back home and stop letting her come here to drink.

Me:  Amber, I think she needs to be in a medical facility.  She’s not just going to ‘shake this off’ in a few days – she might but she might also have a seizure or something.  If we see her drink a lot, the chances are she’s drinking even more.

Amber:  She talked about going to a treatment place down in Florida for months but says she can’t leave work that long.

Me:  I don’t know if she needs that, she can figure that out later.  What I have done in the past for employees with the same problem is to get them to a local detox facility we use then figure out their options after they’ve had a few days to clear their heads.  Some people are fine after a week of detoxing, others need more help.  We’re not doctors and everyone is different.

Amber:  So we just dump her off at some place?

Me:  No, pack a suitcase for her – sweats and stuff and I’ll have my Admin set it up.  We’ll take her tomorrow.

Amber:  What about her job?

Me:  She works for a multi-billion dollar company; they aren’t going out of business because she’s out sick for a few days.

(Amber leaves to head to Ice’s house to pack clothes for her.  I make another drink to relax in the silence…then dump it out. )

(The next morning I wake up on my couch hearing Ice fumbling around in my kitchen.  I walk into the kitchen to make coffee.  She has a coffee cup in hand and mumbles something about my ####ty choice of coffee – the Keurig is off and obviously hasn’t been used all morning…)

Ice:  Ron, I’m going to hang around here today if that’s cool.  I can’t go home, having work done at the house.

Me: No you’re not

Ice: Yes I am, (she launches into some BS about getting her water heater fixed today).

Me:  (I interrupt her overly detailed story about the water heater)  Amber was here last night (she clearly doesn’t remember talking to Amber last night.  Ice looks up at me like a kid who heard mommy was coming to school that day because you were bad).

Ice: For what?

Me:  For what’s in that cup, that’s what.

(Ice pounds her drink then pours another with an “I dare you to stop me” look on her face…but I don’t stop her.)

Me:  We’re going to take you to a detox facility today.  They’ll get you through not drinking a few days then you can decide how you want to proceed from there.  I love you Ice (I hold her).

(I thought Ice would fight me, scream, yell, etc…she didn’t.  She just stood there, shrinking…then teared up into my arms.)

Amber showed up a bit later with a suitcase packed for Ice; my Admin called and connected us with a facility in FairFax that had availability.  Ice was fine now (because she was drinking); Ice took the phone and went through a short call with the facility - Amber and I in ear-shot.  They checked her insurance then in so many words told her to keep drinking until she showed up as long as she had a ride.

I drove while Ice and Amber sat in the backseat going through a range of emotions. 

I pulled up, Ice and Amber got out.  I waited in the car over an hour for Amber to return.  Amber came back and got in my car.

Amber:  What now?

Part 2

Part 3

Last edited by a moderator:
e: “Yeah but no one wipes their ### with a nipple; I guess the only chance would be if someone takes a dump on a chicks nipples – which reminds me, I have a dentist appointment I need to reschedule next week”.

:lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new to this forum. Does he keep adding on? He didn't put a TBC at the end. I can't get enough. I want to believe it but don't know if I should. 

I'm new to this forum. Does he keep adding on? He didn't put a TBC at the end. I can't get enough. I want to believe it but don't know if I should. 
:fishing: Look at his other thread, great stories but the consensus is all :fishing: based on his last post.

I was just thinking about this the other day - Ron, have (Angie?  Is she back?  She has to be back, right?) print out every post in the first thread and start sending it to literary agents before someone else does.

Somehow, i do not feel qualified to comment on an entry with someone named Ice in it, and no amount of cucking will change that...

Me: “Yeah but no one wipes their ### with a nipple; I guess the only chance would be if someone takes a dump on a chicks nipples – which reminds me, I have a dentist appointment I need to reschedule next week”.
:lmao: :lmao:

Welcome back AZ!

Do you suspect a sex addiction as well? Not trying to presume, but based on the last thread and the conversation in this one. Hoping for the best for her.

Arizona Ron said:
:lmao:

The original really came out of nowhere to clean up the awards.  Very good mix of drama and sex with some highly interesting characters.  Of course, the original setup of the whole thing in loaning an unknown chick money was the stuff of Hollywood, but it was clearly just the script writers need to get the main character into position for the entire tale.  And of course, the ending using retrospective and traveling off into the distance by a main character was a solid way to end the first part of the trilogy.

The sequel looks promising as well.  Doesn't appear to have all the same original characters, but enough of them will likely make an appearance.  Starting with the dark under belly of addiction will clearly mirror the main character's life story in allegory fashion.  Truly facing the demons of the original in this one is a god way to go.  Should be good. 

I work a salaried job where if I'm 10 minutes late, I just stay 10 minutes later.  As long as I'm there eight hours and get my work done, everything is okay.

However, I have a pretty important meeting at 8 AM sharp tomorrow.  I'm already stressing about getting the kids to kindergarten/babysitter on time to get to work.

I guess what I'm saying is...#### you, Ron.

The original really came out of nowhere to clean up the awards.  Very good mix of drama and sex with some highly interesting characters.  Of course, the original setup of the whole thing in loaning an unknown chick money was the stuff of Hollywood, but it was clearly just the script writers need to get the main character into position for the entire tale.  And of course, the ending using retrospective and traveling off into the distance by a main character was a solid way to end the first part of the trilogy.

The sequel looks promising as well.  Doesn't appear to have all the same original characters, but enough of them will likely make an appearance.  Starting with the dark under belly of addiction will clearly mirror the main character's life story in allegory fashion.  Truly facing the demons of the original in this one is a god way to go.  Should be good. 
We'll said, Ebert. 

A few days later, I decided to see my psych to talk through this situation.  We had somewhat of a falling out last time we talked.  He doesn’t approve of, what he calls, seeking ‘opinions’ from multiple people; with a good reason I suppose.  His point is to have multiple people “pop-in” on a situation I’m working through over a long period of years isn’t fair to me or the other people.  He loosely describes a management pitfall we refer to when teaching new managers; the theory is simple, in example, walking by an employee’s desk, seeing scores to a game on the work computer and assuming they’re doing that all day.  It’s simply developing a holistic opinion based on very little data.  I get it.  I like different opinions though – not because I don’t trust the doc, it’s just that talking things over with more than one person gives me a broader perspective.  I can often lose sight of how another person interprets the intention of my actions when I’m only thinking about, well, my actions.

Doc: Ron?

Me: Yeah doc?

Doc: Well? What now?

Me: I’m not sure what you mean.

Doc: (he thumbs through is notebook) Your friend, Ice - no parents in this area, is that still correct?

Me: Yes, they’re still in Florida to my knowledge, why?

Doc: When did Amber come back and are they seeing each other?

Me: I’m not really sure.  Ice has a lot of “friends” (I actually did air-quotes); she’s somewhat of a chameleon, actually.  She’s hardcore dike around some girls, complete girly-girl around others then can completely make a guy’s knees buckle.  I’ve seen her do everything from ‘hold court’ with executives at dinner functions to pissing in some chick’s mouth while rolling.

Doc: She pissed on you too if I recall correctly, yes?

Me: That’s beside the point, you asked about Amber and why she’s back around.  I honestly don’t know and I’m really not where they’re at in their friendship.  I think that’s what you’re asking.

Doc: Why do you think you’re allowed to see all these different faces of hers?

Me: Don’t know…comfort I guess – I haven’t really given it much thought actually.  The fact that she has a very serious drinking problem and has been hospitalized twice without my knowledge speaks to how much I really don’t know about her. Or don’t pay attention to her.  I went to see her earlier today with Amber; we dropped off some other clothes she really wanted and just to show our support. 

Ice looked like #### when I went to visit her.  She was pale and wearing a short set Amber packed along with a hospital sheet wrapped around her with ugly socks the facility must have provided; we didn’t think to pack a bunch of hoodies and heavy sweats in the middle of summer.  I didn’t think it was that cold in there when I visited but she said was freezing.

They’ve been trying to get her into a long-term 30 day program but she really just wants to leave.  They said if she left before doctor sign off in 5-7 days, they would consider her leave “O.R.” and her insurance wouldn’t cover the stay.

Doc: Does Amber or Ice know you come see me? 

Me: I’ve mentioned I see a shrink before but no specifics.

Doc: Why don’t we do a group session when Ice finishes detox.  If possible, schedule it for the day she leaves detox; by no means let it be more than a day after detox under any circumstances – I’ll make a house call if needed.

Me: I’m pretty sure they have counselors there.

Doc: This is not only about her Ron, it’s about what you’re going to do in the dynamic you’ve created.  I don’t know if you’re helping or enabling – with her and you.

Me: I’ll have to think about that; we’re at an hour anyway.  Until next time Doc.

As I drove away from the meeting with Doc, thoughts were racing – part of those were what to do, others were why do I even care?  Is Ice a friend of mine or just some chick that hangs around? Do I even know the difference?

Ice, whether friend or foe, is part of my life; I do care about her or I wouldn’t bother putting up with her.  Hell, who am I kidding, I love that girl.  While I’m driving, I decided to call one of the guys I’ve worked with for years – “W”.  I remember when he was bad; he didn’t report directly to me but his boss wanted to fire him at the time – I talked him out of it and instead let’s help him through rehab as his last ditch effort to save his career.  

W is a guy I’ve always liked; an ex-military southern guy, I’m guessing in his late 50s now that calls everyone Sir.  On paper, he’s a sales guy that reports to the VP of sales that reports to the COO that reports to me – but he’s way more.  He provided the structure needed to that line of business that didn’t previously exist.  W is a ‘chain of command’ guy and has more than once reminded me that the chain of command goes both ways.  I’ve been guilty of by-passing his bosses when I want an answer quickly. The problem arises when I provide guidance directly to W that’s inconsistent with his boss’s wishes.  Anyway.

Prior to W joining the team, the HR software guys were just that – software guys.  W was the first gray-beard on the software side of the business that knew senior govies by their first name and could quickly asses what’s wrong without needling through a bunch of data.  To date, in our “pipeline reviews”, he always does his presentation without reams of powerpoint slides and data points but uses specific customer needs and macro-level suggestions.  His boss, the VP of Software Sales, is a babyface tech guy mid-40s who’s smart as hell but could dry up every ###### in a strip club the second he starts talking.  The VP wants W to be more in tune with how the software ‘works’ and not just what it does.  The VP complained to me about it more than once and I reminded him if we wanted a software guy, we would have hired one.  W went through issues years ago with his wife leaving due to his drinking; the VP wanted to get rid of him but I insisted we work through it.

W is sober now and I thought I’d get some insight from him.  I call W:

Me:  W, it’s Ron, you got a minute?

W:  Yes Sir, how can I help?

Me: Sorry to bug you for a personal issue but I have a friend who’s in detox now, same place you went to years ago.   She’s an alcoholic - just trying to figure out the next move to help her out.  Is this a bad time?

W: How do you know she’s an alcoholic Sir?

Me: Well, she’s in detox for alcohol.

W: And?

Me:  Uh…and she might do some other recreational drugs.  Not sure.

W: I’m sorry Sir but I’ll ask again; how do you know she’s an alcoholic?

Me:  Well…I guess I don’t know.  How would I know?

W: Well Sir, she’ll have to tell you that.

Me: How will she know if she is?

W: She’ll have to learn that.

(At this point, I feel like I’m trying to get a straight answer from Yoda)

Me:  What do you suggest I do?

W: Get her around people that know they’re alcoholics.  She’ll either realize she is, realize she isn’t or decide she needs more time to figure it out.

Me: (I pause a bit to think about what else to ask him, I don’t know what to ask so I end the call).  Thanks W, I really appreciate the insight.

W:  Anytime Sir.  Also, in the meantime, tell her not to drink.

Me: Roger that.

The next few days flew by for me; I didn’t give Ice much thought as I was pretty tied up with work and stuff with my daughter.  Amber called late one afternoon to tell me Ice was getting out tomorrow.  I told her about my conversation with Doc and his offer to do a group meeting.  Amber, also at a loss for what to do, agreed to join.  I called Doc, he agreed to meet at my place after his last appointment around 7pm tomorrow to facilitate a group discussion.

That day, Amber picked Ice up and brought her to my place.  I was there, with Doc.  Ice walked in, the color was back in her face.  I introduced her to Doc as we sat in my living room.  Ice was somewhat taken aback remarking, “we’re a little late for an intervention, don’t you think?”

Doc:  Well, let’s get started

Sad that we have to wonder if stories are for real or not here. If this is for real, I wish her the best. If not, great story telling and you should be a writer irl.

Sad that we have to wonder if stories are for real or not here. If this is for real, I wish her the best. If not, great story telling and you should be a writer irl.
No way they're real, I used to believe but the way the last story ended no f'ing way. :fishing:

wikkidpissah said:
Somehow, i do not feel qualified to comment on an entry with someone named Ice in it, and no amount of cucking will change that...
It's her nickname.  Short for Ice Princess, I can't remember how that came about but it's been her for years now. 

So, I use to write about #### that was going on as it was going on but that got overwhelming.  I just write to reflect when I have time to know.

Grace Under Pressure said:
Do you suspect a sex addiction as well? Not trying to presume, but based on the last thread and the conversation in this one. Hoping for the best for her.
That might just be a symptom. 

Based on how much time you've spent with her it's surprising you didn't notice her drinking problem.
Like I said, I see her drink when we party/hang out but we're all drinking.  She works a 9-5 just like I do; I have no idea what she does during the day.  I go weeks without seeing her also.

I just call it how I live it homie.

I don't know much about addiction but is it not reasonable to think that Ice is admitting to having a problem by going to detox?  Otherwise, why go?

Users who are viewing this thread