What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (3 Viewers)

what trade happened yesterday?
Dalembert to the Kings for Nocioni and Hawes.
What was the point in that?
Both teams are likely positioning themselves for the draft.From Chad Ford:
The real ramifications of Samuel Dalembert's trade from the Philadelphia 76ers to the Sacramento Kings may come during the NBA draft.The Sixers have been deciding whether to select Evan Turner or Derrick Favors with the No. 2 pick. Although Sixers general manager Ed Stefanski is a Turner fan, new coach Doug Collins is high on Favors. With Dalembert gone and Nocioni in, it could push them in the direction of Favors.For the Kings, this also could change their draft equation.The team has been looking at drafting DeMarcus Cousins and Greg Monroe, both centers. With this deal, it could allow the Kings to address another need at the 3. Sacramento has been high on both Al-Farouq Aminu and Gordon Hayward.
after thinking about this trade for a day i really do not think it was a smart move for the 76ers..namely becasue of the timeing of it.I would have preferred if the 76ers had waited till after Free Agency smoke cleared and than either find someone desperate to over pay for Sammy D or someone who missed out or lost a FA and now wants to want to clear cap space for 2011.... or even hang onto him and trade him to a contender for more value at the trade deadline.Getting Hawes (a prospect with a long way to go) and Nocioni ( another SF ??? ) really does not help the short term or long team prospects of the team.Would rather have entered 2010/2011 with PG - Holiday / Lou WilliamsSG - Evan Turner / Willie GreenSF - Andre Iggy / Thad YoungPF - Elton Brand / Jason SmithC - Sammy D / Maureece Speights and the potential to dump Dalembert for trade and possiblby pakage him thanPG - Holiday / Lou WilliamsSG - Iggy / WillieSF - Thad / NocioniPF - Brand / Favors ??C - Speights / Hawesthe long term , over priced contracts of Brand and Iggy kill the 76ers.

As a Kings fan, I liked the move for Dalembert as I feel it addresses two huge needs in Sac... defensive rebounding and interior defense/shot blcoking. Further, it creates more cap space after the coming season. -That said, I still think it was a bit early to throw in the towel on Hawes.

As for the #5 pick, I think they only consider trading back if Cousins isn't there. Otherwise, I think Sacramento will take Cousins and let him learn the NBA game for a year before asking big things of him (unless he proves ready to make an impact right away). -If Cousins is gone at #5 and Sacramento doesn’t find a deal they like to move back a few spots, I think Monroe will likely be the pick.

And I'm actually ok with the trio of Evans, Udrih and Garcia at the 1 and 2. At the 3, Casspi and Greene splitting time could work. As mentioned by a previous poster, Greene is soft at times, but I think he showed flashes last season and needs consistent minutes to make a bigger impact. Overall, I like his skill set a lot at SF (not so much when they had him playing SG and PF though). Greene showed definite improvement on the defensive end and in his shot selection. I think he is coming along nicely as an NBA player.

Much as i admire how Ray Allen developed the defensive toughness he did during his tenure as a Celtic, if they re-sign this chokin pig i'm gonna puke. Any Celt fans out there know the teams offseason options? Is their cap situation such that it allows them to resign The Stringpuller but the Garnett/Pierce contracts give them too little cap room to pursue a decent FA? Need to go to Price Club for a mega-case of Pepto to prepare for next season if that's the case.

The number 2 free agent this summer is Phil Jackson. I'm surprised more teams didn't wait before hiring new coaches although I guess he wouldn't consider going back to Chicago anyway.
Cleveland is still open. There was that rumor about Jackson going there.
No way he goes to Cleveland. Or anywhere else for that matter. Why upset his lifestyle like that? He returns to the Lakers or retires. Book it.
I tend to agree with you, but he could get the opportunity to coach LeBron James. That would be the reason to go there, but it's probably tough to leave the Lakers.
There's a better chance of Lebron playing for the lakers than Jackson coaching the Cavs.

Love all the Kings talk.

Heard today that the web guy for the sixers forgot to hide a page he made that had said they drafted Turner.

At this point, the Bulls could have an offseason that puts them in the favorite position in the East, an offseason that places them among the contenders in the East, or a uneventful summer that leaves them in the East playoff fodder. And none of those scenarios would surprise me. At least it should be over soon enough.

Much as i admire how Ray Allen developed the defensive toughness he did during his tenure as a Celtic, if they re-sign this chokin pig i'm gonna puke. Any Celt fans out there know the teams offseason options? Is their cap situation such that it allows them to resign The Stringpuller but the Garnett/Pierce contracts give them too little cap room to pursue a decent FA? Need to go to Price Club for a mega-case of Pepto to prepare for next season if that's the case.
There's no scenario where they would have any cap room, unless Pierce opts out of a deal that will pay him $21m next year. They should have the midlevel exception to spend if they want to get a 2nd tier free agent. I suppose there is a chance that they could sign and trade Ray Allen, but I'm doubtful anybody wants to pay Allen big bucks unless they are unloading even worse contracts back on the Celtics. Probably safe to say the window has closed.

Love all the Kings talk. Heard today that the web guy for the sixers forgot to hide a page he made that had said they drafted Turner.
what? so he was essentially confirming their turner selection?
Right. It was a page he was getting ready for Turners selection. I heard it on my local sports radio.
Perhaps they prepare several of these for various top draft picks.
According to the link above. Not so.

There's no scenario where they would have any cap room, unless Pierce opts out of a deal that will pay him $21m next year. They should have the midlevel exception to spend if they want to get a 2nd tier free agent. I suppose there is a chance that they could sign and trade Ray Allen, but I'm doubtful anybody wants to pay Allen big bucks unless they are unloading even worse contracts back on the Celtics. Probably safe to say the window has closed.
Does losing Ray Allen mean the window is closed? Ray Allen is among the biggest reason's the Celtics lost the Finals. He was 0-13 in Game 3 and was just plain TERRIBLE last night.Garnett, Pierce, Rondo, Davis......lets see who they can add to that core.

Love all the Kings talk. Heard today that the web guy for the sixers forgot to hide a page he made that had said they drafted Turner.
what? so he was essentially confirming their turner selection?
Right. It was a page he was getting ready for Turners selection. I heard it on my local sports radio.
Perhaps they prepare several of these for various top draft picks.
According to the link above. Not so.
Maybe they were working on the Turner one first. (Probably not but we don't know.)

Does losing Ray Allen mean the window is closed? Ray Allen is among the biggest reason's the Celtics lost the Finals. He was 0-13 in Game 3 and was just plain TERRIBLE last night.Garnett, Pierce, Rondo, Davis......lets see who they can add to that core.
perkins is probably the biggest reason they lost. 23 offensive rebounds by the lakers.

I don't see how this getting out hurts the sixers in any way. Its not like anyone is going to jump into the 1st pick just to snipe Turner from them. My first thought was this was intentional to make the #2 spot more valuable. Anyone that really wants Turner (hello Minny) will have to deal with the sixers to get him.

I'd join Wade in Miami if I were Lebron.
Lebron wants to win championships but is also very much concerned about his individual legacy. He wants to be the man and the face of the franchise forever (a reason why he might not go to Chicago). Maybe I'm overrating DWade but I think he's right up there with Lebron in terms of talent. Both are top 3 players in the league IMO.

Whether he makes shots or not, the threat of Ray Allen is a big loss for the C's. You think the Lakers defense was saggy the last 4-5 games? Wait until you see teams defend the Celtics w/o one of the greatest 3 pt shooters of all time.

Lebron wants to win championships but is also very much concerned about his individual legacy. He wants to be the man and the face of the franchise forever (a reason why he might not go to Chicago). Maybe I'm overrating DWade but I think he's right up there with Lebron in terms of talent. Both are top 3 players in the league IMO.
You are not overrating Wade. The key to Wade is his health. How long can he last with his style and how many seasons can he be strong throughout?

You are not overrating Wade. The key to Wade is his health. How long can he last with his style and how many seasons can he be strong throughout?
Obviously he's going to have to change his game as he gets older. Has he improved his jump shot?

garnett is just about done as an elite player and pierce is also on the downward slope. The only way they can upgrade is through a midlevel FA (and celtics fans saw how well those deals often shake out with rasheed) or through a late round pick. If they let pierce walk after next year, they may be able to bring in a FA to team with Rondo, but that sounds an awful lot like a rebuilding project to me.

garnett is just about done as an elite player and pierce is also on the downward slope. The only way they can upgrade is through a midlevel FA (and celtics fans saw how well those deals often shake out with rasheed) or through a late round pick. If they let pierce walk after next year, they may be able to bring in a FA to team with Rondo, but that sounds an awful lot like a rebuilding project to me.
Agreed at this point assuming Ray Allen is gone they are left with their starting 5 asRondoTony AllenPierceKGPerkinsThe Celtics would be hard pressed to find a consistent offensive rhythm with that line up although thier defense would be alright. Good enough for a 4 seed and a second round playoff exit IMO.

$40M to KG the next two years is bad news for Boston.

What are the chances of Pierce opting out? Slim? $21M is a whole lot of money next year.

I think Boston needs to start jettisoning their older guys and build around Rondo. Unless they can attract an elite guard to replace Allen.

after thinking about this trade for a day i really do not think it was a smart move for the 76ers..namely becasue of the timeing of it.I would have preferred if the 76ers had waited till after Free Agency smoke cleared and than either find someone desperate to over pay for Sammy D or someone who missed out or lost a FA and now wants to want to clear cap space for 2011.... or even hang onto him and trade him to a contender for more value at the trade deadline.Getting Hawes (a prospect with a long way to go) and Nocioni ( another SF ??? ) really does not help the short term or long team prospects of the team.Would rather have entered 2010/2011 with PG - Holiday / Lou WilliamsSG - Evan Turner / Willie GreenSF - Andre Iggy / Thad YoungPF - Elton Brand / Jason SmithC - Sammy D / Maureece Speights and the potential to dump Dalembert for trade and possiblby pakage him thanPG - Holiday / Lou WilliamsSG - Iggy / WillieSF - Thad / NocioniPF - Brand / Favors ??C - Speights / Hawesthe long term , over priced contracts of Brand and Iggy kill the 76ers.
I don't think this move means they are going to definitely take Favors. Collins spoke today about how he didn't like how Brand and Dalembert played together. I found the timing interesting but this could have also been a warning shot that lazy, lockerroom cancers are not going to be tolerated. They have a mini-camp coming up shortly and Collins didn't even want to begin to deal with Sammy apparently.Collins had some quotes today from the Favors/Cousins workout around team rebounding and how their backcourt rebounds so well that they can hopefully make up for Sammy. He also said he would play Brand at the 5 but like Hawes out there with him so teams couldn't just collapse on Elton.From a GM perspective, trading a 12 million dollar expiring contract for a longer Nocioni deal and Hawes (admittedly only 22) NOW is peculiar but like I said - Dalembert's attitude and laziness were so awful I don't blame them for a chemistry change so early.

Jazz are in salary cap hell. 6-7 players locked in already at $55 million if I remember right. Also set to draft another lurpy white POS.

The Sixers have been deciding whether to select Evan Turner or Derrick Favors with the No. 2 pick. Although Sixers general manager Ed Stefanski is a Turner fan, new coach Doug Collins is high on Favors. With Dalembert gone and Nocioni in, it could push them in the direction of Favors.
In other words, Doug COllins is doing everything he can to get himself fired before he really gets started.
Chad Ford is an idiot and doesn't have a clue when it comes to the Sixers. Turner is still their guy. Ford's been saying the same shtick for weeks now.

I have heard alot of chatter about New Orleans moving Okafor and possibly Collison for cap space. Does anyone see this happening? A team like the Knicks could really benefit from a trade like this if they offered Curry and Chandler.
All kinds of rumors surrounding the Hornets, and you have to wonder what kind of financial hit they will take from further disaster in the Gulf Region. David West has been mentioned in trade talks as well, and every now and then you hear a rumor about Chris Paul whom many think will be very unhappy with a team that is good for 40 wins a season.
i'd love to see the spurs somehow grab david west. i think he and duncan would be great together. timmy could slide over to the 5 and the two of them would be nasty.
By slide over do you mean continue to play the position hes played almost exclusively for 5 or 6 years?They would be pretty sick together though.

Juxtatarot said:
Here are my FA predictions (as boring as they are):LeBron: Cleveland (in the end the hometown pressure will be too much to leave)Wade: MiamiAmare: MiamiBosh: Chicago (He'll flirt with NY but Toronto wants a sign-and-trade and NY has nothing to offer)Dirk: DallasBoozer: New JerseyJoe Johnson: AtlantaLee: New York
I like these for the most part. Maybe atl gives Joe Johnson the most money. I really question whether he wants back. I think Ray Allen could end up being a bargain piece for a contender. You may see Phoenix go full rebuild mode - dealing Nash. I don't see Amare back here. They'd be wise to get a sign & trade with Amare.

They'd be wise to get a sign & trade with Amare.
They could get Beasley of course. I don't know what else. I don't think there will be a lot of options.I also don't think there is a big market for Nash. Due to his age, he'd have to be traded to a contender and I can't think of a good fit that would have want the Suns would want in return.

If the Wolves stay at 1.04, they will take Wes Johnson. MIN didn't work out Cousins. Some rumblings about a MIN/GSW trade with GSW moving up to 1.04 and MIN getting Anthony Randolph, but there must be more pieces involved if that is going to happen.
Don't think it's going to happen. Nellie's not involved with working out players, leading some to believe that he's gone, or will be gone when the team sells.I've heard that Randolph is basically waiting out the Cohan/Reilly/Nellie era, knowing a better day is right around the corner.A better day, Ferris, for all of us.

They'd be wise to get a sign & trade with Amare.
They could get Beasley of course. I don't know what else. I don't think there will be a lot of options.I also don't think there is a big market for Nash. Due to his age, he'd have to be traded to a contender and I can't think of a good fit that would have want the Suns would want in return.
was going to mention beasley - I do know we weren't interested in him during previous trade discussions. I don't think anyone wants Nash dealt - I think he may request when amare bolts and they don't get a suitable replacement in a sign and trade. Most obvious trade partner for nash would be ny. I think it all hinges on what happens with Amare

after thinking about this trade for a day i really do not think it was a smart move for the 76ers..namely becasue of the timeing of it.

I would have preferred if the 76ers had waited till after Free Agency smoke cleared and than either find someone desperate to over pay for Sammy D or someone who missed out or lost a FA and now wants to want to clear cap space for 2011.... or even hang onto him and trade him to a contender for more value at the trade deadline.

Getting Hawes (a prospect with a long way to go) and Nocioni ( another SF ??? ) really does not help the short term or long team prospects of the team.

Would rather have entered 2010/2011 with

PG - Holiday / Lou Williams

SG - Evan Turner / Willie Green

SF - Andre Iggy / Thad Young

PF - Elton Brand / Jason Smith

C - Sammy D / Maureece Speights

and the potential to dump Dalembert for trade and possiblby pakage him than

SG - Iggy / Willie

SF - Thad / Nocioni

PF - Brand / Favors ??

C - Speights / Hawes

the long term , over priced contracts of Brand and Iggy kill the 76ers.
I don't think this move means they are going to definitely take Favors. Collins spoke today about how he didn't like how Brand and Dalembert played together. I found the timing interesting but this could have also been a warning shot that lazy, lockerroom cancers are not going to be tolerated. They have a mini-camp coming up shortly and Collins didn't even want to begin to deal with Sammy apparently.Collins had some quotes today from the Favors/Cousins workout around team rebounding and how their backcourt rebounds so well that they can hopefully make up for Sammy. He also said he would play Brand at the 5 but like Hawes out there with him so teams couldn't just collapse on Elton.

From a GM perspective, trading a 12 million dollar expiring contract for a longer Nocioni deal and Hawes (admittedly only 22) NOW is peculiar but like I said - Dalembert's attitude and laziness were so awful I don't blame them for a chemistry change so early.
Sammy has always been that way ,even before the big pay day, and to trade him just to pacify a new coach seems like a bad plan as a GM to miss out on capitalizing on an asset like his expiring contract.Speights and a few others should be shipped out ASAP if this is the train of thought.

Most obvious trade partner for nash would be ny.
Right, but I don't think NY would be willing to give up cap space for him. They'd give up Eddy Curry's contract but they have nothing else to throw in. They can't even trade draft picks due to the McGrady-Jefferies trade.

after thinking about this trade for a day i really do not think it was a smart move for the 76ers..namely becasue of the timeing of it.

I would have preferred if the 76ers had waited till after Free Agency smoke cleared and than either find someone desperate to over pay for Sammy D or someone who missed out or lost a FA and now wants to want to clear cap space for 2011.... or even hang onto him and trade him to a contender for more value at the trade deadline.

Getting Hawes (a prospect with a long way to go) and Nocioni ( another SF ??? ) really does not help the short term or long team prospects of the team.

Would rather have entered 2010/2011 with

SG - Evan Turner / Willie Green

SF - Andre Iggy / Thad Young

PF - Elton Brand / Jason Smith

C - Sammy D / Maureece Speights

and the potential to dump Dalembert for trade and possiblby pakage him than

SG - Iggy / Willie

SF - Thad / Nocioni

PF - Brand / Favors ??

C - Speights / Hawes

the long term , over priced contracts of Brand and Iggy kill the 76ers.
I don't think this move means they are going to definitely take Favors. Collins spoke today about how he didn't like how Brand and Dalembert played together. I found the timing interesting but this could have also been a warning shot that lazy, lockerroom cancers are not going to be tolerated. They have a mini-camp coming up shortly and Collins didn't even want to begin to deal with Sammy apparently.Collins had some quotes today from the Favors/Cousins workout around team rebounding and how their backcourt rebounds so well that they can hopefully make up for Sammy. He also said he would play Brand at the 5 but like Hawes out there with him so teams couldn't just collapse on Elton.

From a GM perspective, trading a 12 million dollar expiring contract for a longer Nocioni deal and Hawes (admittedly only 22) NOW is peculiar but like I said - Dalembert's attitude and laziness were so awful I don't blame them for a chemistry change so early.
Sammy has always been that way ,even before the big pay day, and to trade him just to pacify a new coach seems like a bad plan as a GM to miss out on capitalizing on an asset like his expiring contract.Speights and a few others should be shipped out ASAP if this is the train of thought.
Stefanski has wanted to trade Dalembert for practically his whole tenure, but he had a 15% trade kicker and it was nearly impossible to get anything done. , He is actually not that great of an overall defender, didn't want to work on his game, and then #####ed about not being a focal point of the offense.

Does losing Ray Allen mean the window is closed? Ray Allen is among the biggest reason's the Celtics lost the Finals. He was 0-13 in Game 3 and was just plain TERRIBLE last night.
That might only be a symptom of other problems with the Celtics (i.e., Allen was forced into more difficult shots because the other guys couldn't get open). And he still shot a respectable 39% from 3-point range during the playoffs (better than Steve Nash or Kobe Bryant, by the way). He's far from done as a player.
Garnett, Pierce, Rondo, Davis......lets see who they can add to that core.
I think you could replace any one of the Former Big Three and then say "let's see who they can add to that core".

Probably safe to say the window has closed.
I think it is safe to say that any team, that was a couple of missed shots from winning the NBA finals, and is likely to return nearly the same team next year, has in no way had their window closed.

As a Kings fan, I liked the move for Dalembert as I feel it addresses two huge needs in Sac... defensive rebounding and interior defense/shot blcoking. Further, it creates more cap space after the coming season. -That said, I still think it was a bit early to throw in the towel on Hawes. As for the #5 pick, I think they only consider trading back if Cousins isn't there. Otherwise, I think Sacramento will take Cousins and let him learn the NBA game for a year before asking big things of him (unless he proves ready to make an impact right away). -If Cousins is gone at #5 and Sacramento doesn’t find a deal they like to move back a few spots, I think Monroe will likely be the pick.And I'm actually ok with the trio of Evans, Udrih and Garcia at the 1 and 2. At the 3, Casspi and Greene splitting time could work. As mentioned by a previous poster, Greene is soft at times, but I think he showed flashes last season and needs consistent minutes to make a bigger impact. Overall, I like his skill set a lot at SF (not so much when they had him playing SG and PF though). Greene showed definite improvement on the defensive end and in his shot selection. I think he is coming along nicely as an NBA player.
I do think the Kings are moving in the right direction. Having Evans alone puts them on that path, and, as you said, if Dalembert is motivated, he could be a guy who averages close to 10 rebounds a game with some shot blocking. That's a huge need. Now, the question I have is depending on guys like Garcia, Udrih, Casspi and Greene. I don't think Garcia or Udrih are bad players, but they are still too important to the Kings.

Juxtatarot said:
Here are my FA predictions (as boring as they are):

LeBron: Cleveland (in the end the hometown pressure will be too much to leave)

Wade: Miami

Amare: Miami

Bosh: Chicago (He'll flirt with NY but Toronto wants a sign-and-trade and NY has nothing to offer)

Dirk: Dallas

Boozer: New Jersey

Joe Johnson: Atlanta

Lee: New York
It doesn't matter what Toronto wants. Bosh holds all the cards. I'm sure Bosh would be up for a sign and trade because he will get a little more money, but Toronto has zero leverage. I doubt Donnie Walsh traded away Hill and future 1st rd pick just to resign Lee who they could've just resigned anyway.

At this point, the Bulls could have an offseason that puts them in the favorite position in the East, an offseason that places them among the contenders in the East, or a uneventful summer that leaves them in the East playoff fodder. And none of those scenarios would surprise me. At least it should be over soon enough.
Agreed - this could be a great, historic off-season for Chicago or just a complete disaster. What worries me for Chicago, is that this comes down to getting LeBron James. They aren't getting Wade, it seems to be a realistic possibility that Bosh is going to end up in Miami. They can't come away with this signing Rudy Gay and Carlos Boozer, and then telling everyone they accomplished their goals. Sure, the team would be very competitive in the East, but the goal is LeBron James for the Bulls.

Users who are viewing this thread