What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (5 Viewers)

I have heard alot of chatter about New Orleans moving Okafor and possibly Collison for cap space. Does anyone see this happening? A team like the Knicks could really benefit from a trade like this if they offered Curry and Chandler.
collison isn't costing them anything really. it's okafor that is expensive! chandler is a nice player but it remains to be seen if he is a product of the d'antoni system. i'd rather hold onto collison.
Problem is that NOBODY will take on Okafor's terrible long contract without getting someone such as Collison thrown into the deal.

They'd be wise to get a sign & trade with Amare.
They could get Beasley of course. I don't know what else. I don't think there will be a lot of options.I also don't think there is a big market for Nash. Due to his age, he'd have to be traded to a contender and I can't think of a good fit that would have want the Suns would want in return.
I think the Knicks would be very interested in Nash.

While James is obviously the prize, if Chicago wound up with Rudy Gay and Carlos Boozer that would be a nice haul.

Does losing Ray Allen mean the window is closed? Ray Allen is among the biggest reason's the Celtics lost the Finals. He was 0-13 in Game 3 and was just plain TERRIBLE last night.
That might only be a symptom of other problems with the Celtics (i.e., Allen was forced into more difficult shots because the other guys couldn't get open). And he still shot a respectable 39% from 3-point range during the playoffs (better than Steve Nash or Kobe Bryant, by the way). He's far from done as a player.
Garnett, Pierce, Rondo, Davis......lets see who they can add to that core.
I think you could replace any one of the Former Big Three and then say "let's see who they can add to that core".
Ray Allen can still play, but I would think he'd have to sign a 2 or 3 year deal.

While James is obviously the prize, if Chicago wound up with Rudy Gay and Carlos Boozer that would be a nice haul.
:goodposting: The Bulls have enough talent already that they don't NEED LeBron to contend (like the Knicks/Nets, for example). If they were able to bring in those two guys, that would have to be considered a success and a big upgrade.

They would be a nice team on paper - Rose/Gay/Deng/Boozer/Noah with Hinrich/Gibson off the bench. That's probably a top 3 team in the East next season, maybe top 4, but I don't think it's a championship team. James is the guy they want, he's the reason they (and other teams) basically have been preparing for this off-season for 2 seasons now.

Prediction: Wade stays with the HeatBosh signs with the HeatLebron signs with the BullsAmare signs with the Knicks
My predictions:Wade stays with HeatBosh signs with Heat Lebron signs with KnicksAmare signs with KnicksOkafor and Collison traded to Knicks for Curry's expiring and Chandler and bought 1st rd pick and $2-3 millionKnicks - Heat rivalry revved up again.

Prediction: Wade stays with the HeatBosh signs with the HeatLebron signs with the BullsAmare signs with the Knicks
My predictions:Wade stays with HeatBosh signs with Heat Lebron signs with KnicksAmare signs with KnicksOkafor and Collison traded to Knicks for Curry's expiring and Chandler and bought 1st rd pick and $2-3 millionKnicks - Heat rivalry revved up again.
Why so confident in LeBron ending up in NY? I don't rule them out, but James knows he needs to win. That roster is awful. You have them doing a whole lot.

Why so confident in LeBron ending up in NY? I don't rule them out, but James knows he needs to win. That roster is awful. You have them doing a whole lot.
I never said I was confident that Lebron signs in NY. I believe it's 50-50 he stays with Cavs or signs with Knicks. Awful part of Knicks roster will not be back. 2 max slots along with the Rooster and Douglass and Curry's expiring which will be very valuable for teams with cheap owners looking to get under luxury tax. Owner who is not afraid to spend money. James with either Bosh/Amare on Knicks is better than Cavs current roster/cap situation.

I am still having a hard time imagining james staying put.especially after seeing how bug the press is when a big city team like the lakers play for and win a title.

I never said I was confident that Lebron signs in NY. I believe it's 50-50 he stays with Cavs or signs with Knicks. Awful part of Knicks roster will not be back. 2 max slots along with the Rooster and Douglass and Curry's expiring which will be very valuable for teams with cheap owners looking to get under luxury tax. Owner who is not afraid to spend money. James with either Bosh/Amare on Knicks is better than Cavs current roster/cap situation.
Fair enough - you obviously are confident to some extent, but I have to say, while I won't be shocked if he ends up in NY, I would be mildly surprised.

Prediction:

Wade stays with the Heat

Bosh signs with the Heat

Lebron signs with the Bulls

Amare signs with the Knicks
My predictions:Wade stays with Heat

Bosh signs with Heat

Lebron signs with Knicks

Amare signs with Knicks

Okafor and Collison traded to Knicks for Curry's expiring and Chandler and bought 1st rd pick and $2-3 million

Knicks - Heat rivalry revved up again.
Common misperception by fans not familiar with NY Knicks. Granted the Knicks have been irrelevant since the days of Houston, Starks and Ewing the roster they have assembled is filled with good young talent. Danillo Gallinari is on the verge of stardom, Wilson Chandler is an able defender and good scorer, Tony Douglas is an able passer and defender (would not look overmatched against premier PG like Mo Williams). Then you have guys like Bill Walker, and Barron who with some time could possibly develop. The lone fingerprint of Isaah Thomas is Curry whose expiring contract worth 11 million comes off the books this year. A valuable contract no doubt. This Knicks team dwarfs the Cavs in dynasty potential for Lebron. Supposedly the only thing holding back Lebron and Bosh is the fact that Bosh wants to play PF position and not center thus the Knicks would be well served to pick up a player like Okafor or Biedrins through a trade for Curry contract.

It doesn't matter what Toronto wants. Bosh holds all the cards. I'm sure Bosh would be up for a sign and trade because he will get a little more money, but Toronto has zero leverage. I doubt Donnie Walsh traded away Hill and future 1st rd pick just to resign Lee who they could've just resigned anyway.
You're underestimating the value of that More Money card. It's certainly not everything but it can sway the outcome. Bosh might be given the choice between signing with NY or agreeing to a sign-and-trade with, for example, Chicago for an extra year and millions of dollars more.

Common misperception by fans not familiar with NY Knicks. Granted the Knicks have been irrelevant since the days of Houston, Starks and Ewing the roster they have assembled is filled with good young talent. Danillo Gallinari is on the verge of stardom, Wilson Chandler is an able defender and good scorer, Tony Douglas is an able passer and defender (would not look overmatched against premier PG like Mo Williams). Then you have guys like Bill Walker, and Barron who with some time could possibly develop.
Keep drinking that Kool-Aid!

Common misperception by fans not familiar with NY Knicks. Granted the Knicks have been irrelevant since the days of Houston, Starks and Ewing the roster they have assembled is filled with good young talent. Danillo Gallinari is on the verge of stardom, Wilson Chandler is an able defender and good scorer, Tony Douglas is an able passer and defender (would not look overmatched against premier PG like Mo Williams). Then you have guys like Bill Walker, and Barron who with some time could possibly develop.
:rolleyes:

They would be a nice team on paper - Rose/Gay/Deng/Boozer/Noah with Hinrich/Gibson off the bench. That's probably a top 3 team in the East next season, maybe top 4, but I don't think it's a championship team. James is the guy they want, he's the reason they (and other teams) basically have been preparing for this off-season for 2 seasons now.
The Bulls can only get what they can get in the end. I won't be disappointed if they don't get LeBron as long as what they do compliments what they already have. It isn't a failure unless they overspend on okay players. In the end, all they gave up to get the space was Salmons who played horribly this year before the trade. It isn't like they gutted their team. So far, they have done what is best for this team and as long as that continues. I am good.

Please elaborate on which part is funny. I dont believe I said anything outlandish such as Gallinari is the next Dirk or Tony Douglas is the next Gary Payton.

:lmao:
Please elaborate on which part is funny. I dont believe I said anything outlandish such as Gallinari is the next Dirk or Tony Douglas is the next Gary Payton.
1. Gallinari is on the verge of stardom- he's 6-10 and he couldn't average 5 rebounds for one of the worst shooting teams in the league. The Knicks were desperate for scoring and he could barely manage 15 points on 42% shooting. That's not the sign of a future star.

2. Wilson Chandler is a good scorer

- 15 points on 45% over the last 2 years. That would be fine for a playoff team, but for a bottom feeder it's downright meaningless. There are 300 guys in the league who could score 15 points a game on a 25-win team.

3. Wilson Chandler is an able defender

- not according to 82games.com.

4. Tony Douglas is an able passer

- he averaged 3.7 assists per 36 minutes played. :rolleyes:

5. Tony Douglas is an able defender

- 1.4 steals per 36 minutes played. 82games.com is not impressed. :lol:

6. Tony Douglas would not look overmatched against Mo Williams

- Does this count as overmatched?

7. Bill Walker could possibly develop

- put him on a playoff team and he averages 3 points and 2 rebounds. But hey, he was awesome in the D-league.

8. Earl Barron could possibly develop

- he's been around for 5 years and his career averages are 6 points, 4 rebounds, and 39% shooting. No player in the history of the NBA has ever "developed" after being that terrible for 5 years.

:lol:

1. Gallinari is on the verge of stardom- he's 6-10 and he couldn't average 5 rebounds for one of the worst shooting teams in the league. The Knicks were desperate for scoring and he could barely manage 15 points on 42% shooting. That's not the sign of a future star.

- 15 points on 45% over the last 2 years. That would be fine for a playoff team, but for a bottom feeder it's downright meaningless. There are 300 guys in the league who could score 15 points a game on a 25-win team.

- he averaged 3.7 assists per 36 minutes played. :mellow:

- 1.4 steals per 36 minutes played. 82games.com is not impressed. :mellow:

- put him on a playoff team and he averages 3 points and 2 rebounds. But hey, he was awesome in the D-league.

- he's been around for 5 years and his career averages are 6 points, 4 rebounds, and 39% shooting. No player in the history of the NBA has ever "developed" after being that terrible for 5 years.
You have to take into context the teammates these guys had to play with. Harrington was/is a black hole where the ball is never seen again by a teammate and Lee who was all about putting up numbers to get his payday and Duhon who is just plain Doo-Doo and would only pass to Lee no matter how open Gallinari was. Those are just a few examples of the junk that the Knicks have trotted out there. Gallinari does have to hit the boards better, but he is one of the top 5 pure shooters in the league. Douglass showed a lot of potential last yr when finally given playing time. Walker had some very nice games for the Knicks as well as some not so nice. Chandler is a very underated player who sometimes forced shots due to never seeing the ball after it went to either Harrington, Lee, Duhon or Nate Robinson. Chandler is a very good defender who would thrive with a PG who push the ball.

It doesn't matter what Toronto wants. Bosh holds all the cards. I'm sure Bosh would be up for a sign and trade because he will get a little more money, but Toronto has zero leverage. I doubt Donnie Walsh traded away Hill and future 1st rd pick just to resign Lee who they could've just resigned anyway.
You're underestimating the value of that More Money card. It's certainly not everything but it can sway the outcome. Bosh might be given the choice between signing with NY or agreeing to a sign-and-trade with, for example, Chicago for an extra year and millions of dollars more.
It's more money because of the extra yr. A lot of these guys want shorter contracts or contracts with out clauses after 3 yrs anyways. He'll get more than enough money either way.

The Bulls can only get what they can get in the end. I won't be disappointed if they don't get LeBron as long as what they do compliments what they already have. It isn't a failure unless they overspend on okay players. In the end, all they gave up to get the space was Salmons who played horribly this year before the trade. It isn't like they gutted their team. So far, they have done what is best for this team and as long as that continues. I am good.
I feel the same way about the Knicks. All Walsh could do was put the team in position to sign two top max players, if they decide not to come then please do not overspend like a 10 yr old with $50 burning a hole in his pocket and spend it on junk.

I actually agree that if the Knicks play their cards right, it's a better destination for James from a talent standpoint. Long term, who do the Cavs really have?

I am not much of a Varejao fan, but he is their best piece other than LeBron. That says a lot.

Mo is a shooter only and overpaid. Not terrible, but not really anything to build around.

Jamison is ancient, and extremely overpaid. This was a desperate attempt to salvage a crummy roster, and it backfired IMO.

Other than that, there are nothing but medium/low level filler players.

Gotta chuckle at Earl Barron and Tony Douglas being thrown out there as valuable pieces to entice LeBron James though. The reason the Knicks are a good fit, is they have enough money to actually sign another good player. Gallinari is a very good shooter. Probably a good fit with LeBron James (who isn't I guess?), but it's not like he's adding much else.

I actually agree that if the Knicks play their cards right, it's a better destination for James from a talent standpoint. Long term, who do the Cavs really have? I am not much of a Varejao fan, but he is their best piece other than LeBron. That says a lot.Mo is a shooter only and overpaid. Not terrible, but not really anything to build around.Jamison is ancient, and extremely overpaid. This was a desperate attempt to salvage a crummy roster, and it backfired IMO.Other than that, there are nothing but medium/low level filler players.Gotta chuckle at Earl Barron and Tony Douglas being thrown out there as valuable pieces to entice LeBron James though. The reason the Knicks are a good fit, is they have enough money to actually sign another good player. Gallinari is a very good shooter. Probably a good fit with LeBron James (who isn't I guess?), but it's not like he's adding much else.
Gallinari is also a very good defender. He will flourish with real NBA players playing with him instead of the scrap heap he's previously played with. I don't view Douglass has a starting PG on a championship level team, but he's great on defense and is more of a combo guard who comes off the bench and energizes his team.

It's more money because of the extra yr. A lot of these guys want shorter contracts or contracts with out clauses after 3 yrs anyways. He'll get more than enough money either way.
Wrong. It's more money per year.And, NBA players can never get enough money.

Last edited by a moderator:
after thinking about this trade for a day i really do not think it was a smart move for the 76ers..namely becasue of the timeing of it.

I would have preferred if the 76ers had waited till after Free Agency smoke cleared and than either find someone desperate to over pay for Sammy D or someone who missed out or lost a FA and now wants to want to clear cap space for 2011.... or even hang onto him and trade him to a contender for more value at the trade deadline.

Getting Hawes (a prospect with a long way to go) and Nocioni ( another SF ??? ) really does not help the short term or long team prospects of the team.

Would rather have entered 2010/2011 with

PG - Holiday / Lou Williams

SG - Evan Turner / Willie Green

SF - Andre Iggy / Thad Young

PF - Elton Brand / Jason Smith

C - Sammy D / Maureece Speights

and the potential to dump Dalembert for trade and possiblby pakage him than

PG - Holiday / Lou Williams

SG - Iggy / Willie

SF - Thad / Nocioni

PF - Brand / Favors ??

C - Speights / Hawes

the long term , over priced contracts of Brand and Iggy kill the 76ers.
I don't think this move means they are going to definitely take Favors. Collins spoke today about how he didn't like how Brand and Dalembert played together. I found the timing interesting but this could have also been a warning shot that lazy, lockerroom cancers are not going to be tolerated. They have a mini-camp coming up shortly and Collins didn't even want to begin to deal with Sammy apparently.Collins had some quotes today from the Favors/Cousins workout around team rebounding and how their backcourt rebounds so well that they can hopefully make up for Sammy. He also said he would play Brand at the 5 but like Hawes out there with him so teams couldn't just collapse on Elton.

From a GM perspective, trading a 12 million dollar expiring contract for a longer Nocioni deal and Hawes (admittedly only 22) NOW is peculiar but like I said - Dalembert's attitude and laziness were so awful I don't blame them for a chemistry change so early.
Sammy has always been that way ,even before the big pay day, and to trade him just to pacify a new coach seems like a bad plan as a GM to miss out on capitalizing on an asset like his expiring contract.Speights and a few others should be shipped out ASAP if this is the train of thought.
Lou Williams is next - hopefully for a late first rounder.

Amare's contract will immediately become an albatross for whichever team is foolish enough to grossly overpay him.

What about someone like Joe Johnson on the Celtics (assuming Ray Allen leaves)? He doesn't seem like a true #1 guy to me, but in that lineup he would be awesome IMO.

Id like to see the Lakers try and get Greivis Vasquez from Maryland or Jordan Crawford from Xavier. Think either would fit in pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Britney Spears said:
TS Garp said:
Amare's contract will immediately become an albatross for whichever team is foolish enough to grossly overpay him.
He's not going to get a max contract, is he?unsure
Not from the Suns IMO.I think if either Boozer/Amare get max deals, those teams will regret it for a long time. Wouldn't be surprised if one of the teams with room really overpay for them.

Would Bosh be making ~2% less if he's signed and traded out of Toronto due to the exchange rate? or how does that work?

What about someone like Joe Johnson on the Celtics (assuming Ray Allen leaves)? He doesn't seem like a true #1 guy to me, but in that lineup he would be awesome IMO.
Unless the C's trade someone for him, I don't see how they could add him.
Sign & trade Ray Allen maybe?Celts are willing to spend into the luxury tax. They had the 2nd highest salary this year (only the Lakers spent more).If Pierce restructures his contract, I think they could do something. They have a ton of guys coming off the books.

Sign & trade Ray Allen maybe?Celts are willing to spend into the luxury tax. They had the 2nd highest salary this year (only the Lakers spent more).If Pierce restructures his contract, I think they could do something. They have a ton of guys coming off the books.
Is there such a thing as restructuring a contract in the nba? And I don't see a possibility of a sign and trade involving allen and jj, their 10-11 salaries are going to be too far apart.

Is there such a thing as restructuring a contract in the nba? And I don't see a possibility of a sign and trade involving allen and jj, their 10-11 salaries are going to be too far apart.
Pierce has a 1 year player option. He can opt out (like Dirk did) and sign a longer term contract with a lower cap number for next year.

After they miss out on Lebron (Clev), Amare (Miami), and Bosh (Chicago), I see NY overspending on someone like JJ, Gay or Boozer.

Pierce has a 1 year player option. He can opt out (like Dirk did) and sign a longer term contract with a lower cap number for next year.
Even if Pierce doesn't pick up his option, they'd only be $14m under the cap. I'm a little hazy on what the rules for re-signing players is, but I'm pretty sure they couldn't just use that $ to sign Johnson and still retain Pierce's Bird rights.

Even if Pierce doesn't pick up his option, they'd only be $14m under the cap. I'm a little hazy on what the rules for re-signing players is, but I'm pretty sure they couldn't just use that $ to sign Johnson and still retain Pierce's Bird rights.
You're right, to make a signing with that money (150% percent previous years salary up to max salary is what an above salary+ player's salary hold is) you must renounce their bird rights.

I am just making up ideas. I hope you realize that.

I am just making up ideas. I hope you realize that.
It made enough sense for me to look up the salary numbers. :thumbup: The situation merely highlights what a tough spot the Celtics are in going forward in terms of improving the roster.

Mr. Retukes said:
simmonjm said:
Mr. Retukes said:
simmonjm said:

- he averaged 3.7 assists per 36 minutes played. :(

- 1.4 steals per 36 minutes played. 82games.com is not impressed. :goodposting:

Serious question, do you watch any Knick games other than when they played the Lakers or Cavs on national tv? Stats are cool and all but they dont tell the whole story. Ive watched these players for a majority of the past couple of seasons and I realize the Knicks are everyones favorite whipping boy but they do actually have some talent. But go ahead and link to your stats and discount their roster. I would be willing to bet that your statistics didnt predict the success of Crawford, or Nate Robinson when they switched teams.

Britney Spears said:
TS Garp said:
There is zero doubt that he will indeed get a max contract.

Britney Spears said:
TS Garp said:
He averaged 23 pts and 9 boards a game. He's also proven in the playoffs. I think he will get a max deal from someone.

Users who are viewing this thread