What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (8 Viewers)

Putting aside MWP for the moment, what a comeback for the Lakers! Down 18 points, and with Jordan Hill and Ebanks on the floor. Whoda thunk it? Mamba was absolutely killer tonight too.However, the Clipps won and remain right on their heels. Lakers need to beat the Kings to clinch...
It was a nice win*

I say suspend him for the rest of the season. Given his track record, he gets no leeway, and if he was an accident as he tried to say it was, he would have immediately been apologetic on the court and not kept running down the court like he didn't have a care in the world. Throw that thug out for the season. If Stern has any balls left, he will do it.
I think Stern would be more than happy to do that. If he can kill the Chris Paul trade for no reason, he can easily ban Ron for a good reason.
:thumbup:

I am late to the party, but, based on his history, he needs at least 10 games for that.It wasn't like he just threw his hand out and hit a guy. He bumped the guy, still had body contact and then threw the elbow. If you are going to give guys a game for a bump, you get 10 for an elbow--especially based on his past.But it won't probably matter because if Denver gets them in the first round, the Lakers might as well start in the bonus every game because the refs will give Kobe every and any call out there.
:cry:
Am I saying something not true?? Denver has zero superstars. Superstars get the calls, from before Jordan to now. It is fact that is the way the NBA works. I am not crying so stop being an ### (which may be hard for you I understand). It is the way the NBA is and has been. Congrats to you for living in a town with a great NBA team. I don't have a problem with that. It just sucks living in a smaller markert team that you KNOW will be playing 8-5 in the playoffs against a Lakers team. I've lived in Colorado all my life and watch it every year.I don't blame the NBA--what drives ratings?Kobe, Bynum, Gasol vs Lebron, Wade, Bosh orMiller, Lawson..,,,er....aha.....and 10 other guys....There is no money in that. It just is the way it is......
Eh, give Lakers fans a break. It's gotta be tough rooting for and always having to stick up for a team with that many thugs.

I am late to the party, but, based on his history, he needs at least 10 games for that.

It wasn't like he just threw his hand out and hit a guy. He bumped the guy, still had body contact and then threw the elbow. If you are going to give guys a game for a bump, you get 10 for an elbow--especially based on his past.

But it won't probably matter because if Denver gets them in the first round, the Lakers might as well start in the bonus every game because the refs will give Kobe every and any call out there.
Am I saying something not true?? Denver has zero superstars. Superstars get the calls, from before Jordan to now. It is fact that is the way the NBA works. I am not crying so stop being an ### (which may be hard for you I understand). It is the way the NBA is and has been. Congrats to you for living in a town with a great NBA team. I don't have a problem with that. It just sucks living in a smaller markert team that you KNOW will be playing 8-5 in the playoffs against a Lakers team. I've lived in Colorado all my life and watch it every year.I don't blame the NBA--what drives ratings?

Kobe, Bynum, Gasol vs Lebron, Wade, Bosh or

Miller, Lawson..,,,er....aha.....and 10 other guys....

There is no money in that. It just is the way it is......
I can appreciate the frustration of a 2nd tier franchise - I'm a Padres fan. But in general, I wait until AFTER the egregious calls to start whining about the officiating. We're still a week before the series even starts and you're already complaining. C'mon, maaaaan.

For the record, I like the funny crazy version of Artest, but I would give him 25 games (enough so he can play again this year) and massively fine him and donate it to some sort of mental health program.

The track record is too long, and he hasn't really changed at all. Its kind of sad really. He seems like a nice guy 99.9% of the time, but he is unstable and probably shouldn't be allowed to play in the NBA.

We all know Stern will do something stupid though like 2 games and a few extra NBA cares commercials.

For the record, I like the funny crazy version of Artest, but I would give him 25 games (enough so he can play again this year) and massively fine him and donate it to some sort of mental health program. The track record is too long, and he hasn't really changed at all. Its kind of sad really. He seems like a nice guy 99.9% of the time, but he is unstable and probably shouldn't be allowed to play in the NBA. We all know Stern will do something stupid though like 2 games and a few extra NBA cares commercials.
Yep. Stern will give him 2-3 games when he should at least get 10-15. Isn't punishment supposed to deter the action? 2-3 games ain't ####. Lame

I am late to the party, but, based on his history, he needs at least 10 games for that.

It wasn't like he just threw his hand out and hit a guy. He bumped the guy, still had body contact and then threw the elbow. If you are going to give guys a game for a bump, you get 10 for an elbow--especially based on his past.

But it won't probably matter because if Denver gets them in the first round, the Lakers might as well start in the bonus every game because the refs will give Kobe every and any call out there.
Am I saying something not true?? Denver has zero superstars. Superstars get the calls, from before Jordan to now. It is fact that is the way the NBA works. I am not crying so stop being an ### (which may be hard for you I understand). It is the way the NBA is and has been. Congrats to you for living in a town with a great NBA team. I don't have a problem with that. It just sucks living in a smaller markert team that you KNOW will be playing 8-5 in the playoffs against a Lakers team. I've lived in Colorado all my life and watch it every year.I don't blame the NBA--what drives ratings?

I can appreciate the frustration of a 2nd tier franchise - I'm a Padres fan. But in general, I wait until AFTER the egregious calls to start whining about the officiating. We're still a week before the series even starts and you're already complaining. C'mon, maaaaan.
MLB is nothing like the NBA when it comes to calls leaning in favor of the stars. Don't even go there.

I say suspend him for the rest of the season. Given his track record, he gets no leeway, and if he was an accident as he tried to say it was, he would have immediately been apologetic on the court and not kept running down the court like he didn't have a care in the world. Throw that thug out for the season. If Stern has any balls left, he will do it.
I think Stern would be more than happy to do that. If he can kill the Chris Paul trade for no reason, he can easily ban Ron for a good reason.
Stern is a selfish pos that will get his, no matter what. Not a bigger pos in sports.

Putting aside MWP for the moment, what a comeback for the Lakers! Down 18 points, and with Jordan Hill and Ebanks on the floor. Whoda thunk it? Mamba was absolutely killer tonight too.However, the Clipps won and remain right on their heels. Lakers need to beat the Kings to clinch...
Meh....the Thunder had no reason to win this game and the loss pretty much secures a more favorable second round match up.

For the record, I like the funny crazy version of Artest, but I would give him 25 games (enough so he can play again this year) and massively fine him and donate it to some sort of mental health program.

The track record is too long, and he hasn't really changed at all. Its kind of sad really. He seems like a nice guy 99.9% of the time, but he is unstable and probably shouldn't be allowed to play in the NBA.

We all know Stern will do something stupid though like 2 games and a few extra NBA cares commercials.
The guy won the NBA's citizenship award last year.

Obviously a stupid move by Artest. But what was Harden doing just moving right into it? Pay attention and get out of way. It was like he wanted to check Artest. And maybe he'd have a little more cushion where he got hit if not for that ridiculous mohawk-type haircut.

I figured I can just get it out of the way now :P . But I shouldn't be so quick to think Denver is getting the Lakers--the Clips are lurking and could sneak up and get that 4th spot there or Denver could lose one and end up with OKC first round.

Obviously a stupid move by Artest. But what was Harden doing just moving right into it? Pay attention and get out of way. It was like he wanted to check Artest. And maybe he'd have a little more cushion where he got hit if not for that ridiculous mohawk-type haircut.
This is why I don't see the point in crucifying Artest. Not that it was Harden's fault, that sort of inadvertent contact happens, but he initiated the contact and, it appears, caught Artest by surprise. When you go running into people, catching them by surprise, a "get the hell off me" elbow would be expected.Obviously, he should get a suspension.I don't really care though. Artest is the 5th or 6th best player on a team that isn't winning anyway. Lawson and Co. are about to embarrass them with or without Artest.The real issue here is, how long Harden will be out? That royally sucks for the Thunder. They can't win a title without him, imo. I'll be pissed if we miss a Thunder-Heat NBA Finals because of this.Artest's suspension should be "However many games Harden misses plus 3".

Last edited by a moderator:

Below is the list of the top 30 players in free throw rate this season. Basically who gets the most free throws per shot attempt. This list is of course absolutely jam packed with superstars.
Code:
Reggie Evans	0.99Ryan Hollins	0.98Tyson Chandler	0.88Kwame Brown	0.85Dwight Howard	0.79Chris Andersen	0.76Courtney Fortson	0.75Ian Mahinmi	0.64Ronny Turiaf	0.64Tyler Hansbrough	0.63Omer Asik	0.62Jamaal Magloire	0.6James Harden	0.6W Russell	0.6Ben Wallace	0.57Kenneth Faried	0.57Corey Maggette	0.56Hakim Warrick	0.56Samardo Samuels	0.56Ramon Sessions	0.55Rodney Stuckey	0.55Semih Erden	0.55Robin Lopez	0.53Joel Anthony	0.52Shelden Williams	0.52Carl Landry	0.51Jared Jeffries	0.5Jeff Foster	0.5Jordan Williams	0.5Lance Thomas	0.49
And here are the top five teams in free throw rate this season. As you can tell the NBA is conspiring to keep the Nuggets down by making sure they are only the second most fouled team in the league. In fact the star filled Cavs, Pacers and Nuggs all appear to be getting more calls than those star-lacking Heat and Lakers. In straight up free throws per game, the Nuggets are actually first in the league.
Code:
 Oklahoma City Thunder	33.5 Denver Nuggets	32.7 Indiana Pacers	32.1 Cleveland Cavaliers	30.9 Miami Heat	30.9
Stop letting Scott Hastings tell you how the NBA works...

Below is the list of the top 30 players in free throw rate this season. Basically who gets the most free throws per shot attempt. This list is of course absolutely jam packed with superstars.
Reggie Evans 0.99Ryan Hollins 0.98Tyson Chandler 0.88Kwame Brown 0.85Dwight Howard 0.79Chris Andersen 0.76Courtney Fortson 0.75Ian Mahinmi 0.64Ronny Turiaf 0.64Tyler Hansbrough 0.63Omer Asik 0.62Jamaal Magloire 0.6James Harden 0.6W Russell 0.6Ben Wallace 0.57Kenneth Faried 0.57Corey Maggette 0.56Hakim Warrick 0.56Samardo Samuels 0.56Ramon Sessions 0.55Rodney Stuckey 0.55Semih Erden 0.55Robin Lopez 0.53Joel Anthony 0.52Shelden Williams 0.52Carl Landry 0.51Jared Jeffries 0.5Jeff Foster 0.5Jordan Williams 0.5Lance Thomas 0.49And here are the top five teams in free throw rate this season. As you can tell the NBA is conspiring to keep the Nuggets down by making sure they are only the second most fouled team in the league. In fact the star filled Cavs, Pacers and Nuggs all appear to be getting more calls than those star-lacking Heat and Lakers. In straight up free throws per game, the Nuggets are actually first in the league.
Code:
 Oklahoma City Thunder	33.5 Denver Nuggets	32.7 Indiana Pacers	32.1 Cleveland Cavaliers	30.9 Miami Heat	30.9
Stop letting Scott Hastings tell you how the NBA works...
Not saying CourtJester is right, but that list is almost exclusively big men with no offensive range. It has nothing to do with supporting or dispelling the idea of "superstar calls". Superstars generally take a lot of shots more than 5 feet from the basket, unlike almost everyone on that list.

What a season for the Nets....hours away from acquiring Howard who waffles and leaves the Nets at the alter....King rebounds by trading a likely #4-9 lotto pick for Gerald Wallace who can opt out at the end of the season...speaking of opting out DWill can as well and Im sure he has LOVED losing more games in his season and a half with the Nets than he did in his entire career - while Cuban awaits the home coming....Houston collapses and fades out of the playoffs so no mid 1st rder for the Nets...Lopez turns into a serious injury risk.

Unless Stern pulls another lotto fix Bets are seriously looking at a 2013 debut in Brooklyn with one of the worst teams in the league and ZERO picks to show for it. Great job Nets mgt...dont let the door hit you in the back as you leave NJ!

Not saying CourtJester is right, but that list is almost exclusively big men with no offensive range. It has nothing to do with supporting or dispelling the idea of "superstar calls". Superstars generally take a lot of shots more than 5 feet from the basket, unlike almost everyone on that list.
Fair enough...here's the guards only top 30. I also filtered out anyone playing less than 20 games this season or less than 10 min per/game. Didn't change my opinion much though...still not seeing a clear star pattern here. I do see a lot of guys that are aggressive to the basket or play outta the post more often than just spotting up.
Code:
James Harden	0.6Rodney Stuckey	0.55Jeremy Lin	0.48John Wall	0.46Ramon Sessions	0.42Tony Allen	0.42Ricky Rubio	0.4Devin Harris	0.39Gordon Hayward	0.39Kyle Lowry	0.39Alec Burks	0.38Cory Higgins	0.38DeMar DeRozan	0.38Lou Williams	0.37Will Bynum	0.37Arron Afflalo	0.36Dahntay Jones	0.36Sundiata Gaines	0.36Derrick Rose	0.35Dwyane Wade	0.35Von Wafer	0.35Kobe Bryant	0.34Manu Ginobili	0.34Xavier Henry	0.34Eric Bledsoe	0.33Kevin Martin	0.33Russell Westbrook	0.33Andre Miller	0.32Chris Paul	0.32Deron Williams	0.32

What a season for the Nets....hours away from acquiring Howard who waffles and leaves the Nets at the alter....King rebounds by trading a likely #4-9 lotto pick for Gerald Wallace who can opt out at the end of the season...speaking of opting out DWill can as well and Im sure he has LOVED losing more games in his season and a half with the Nets than he did in his entire career - while Cuban awaits the home coming....Houston collapses and fades out of the playoffs so no mid 1st rder for the Nets...Lopez turns into a serious injury risk. Unless Stern pulls another lotto fix Bets are seriously looking at a 2013 debut in Brooklyn with one of the worst teams in the league and ZERO picks to show for it. Great job Nets mgt...dont let the door hit you in the back as you leave NJ!
Oof. Yeah, pretty much worse case scenario from the Nets standpoint on all fronts. The Wallace trade was just icing on the cake. A horrible, HORRIBLE move.

What a season for the Nets....hours away from acquiring Howard who waffles and leaves the Nets at the alter....King rebounds by trading a likely #4-9 lotto pick for Gerald Wallace who can opt out at the end of the season...speaking of opting out DWill can as well and Im sure he has LOVED losing more games in his season and a half with the Nets than he did in his entire career - while Cuban awaits the home coming....Houston collapses and fades out of the playoffs so no mid 1st rder for the Nets...Lopez turns into a serious injury risk. Unless Stern pulls another lotto fix Bets are seriously looking at a 2013 debut in Brooklyn with one of the worst teams in the league and ZERO picks to show for it. Great job Nets mgt...dont let the door hit you in the back as you leave NJ!
Oof. Yeah, pretty much worse case scenario from the Nets standpoint on all fronts. The Wallace trade was just icing on the cake. A horrible, HORRIBLE move.
I just dont know what King was thinking....how do you trade a possible #4 overall pick for an older player who can opt out at the end of the year? That has DWill's fingerprints all over it...problem when you have the inmates run the asylum! Disaster

This is why I don't see the point in crucifying Artest. Not that it was Harden's fault, that sort of inadvertent contact happens, but he initiated the contact and, it appears, caught Artest by surprise. When you go running into people, catching them by surprise, a "get the hell off me" elbow would be expected.Obviously, he should get a suspension.I don't really care though. Artest is the 5th or 6th best player on a team that isn't winning anyway. Lawson and Co. are about to embarrass them with or without Artest.The real issue here is, how long Harden will be out? That royally sucks for the Thunder. They can't win a title without him, imo. I'll be pissed if we miss a Thunder-Heat NBA Finals because of this.Artest's suspension should be "However many games Harden misses plus 3".
I don't know what kind of pick up games you play in, but inadvertent contact has never warranted an elbow to the head in any game I've ever seen.

Big week. Essentially a play-in game versus Phoenix on Tuesday for the Jazz. But if Jazz make the playoffs their 1st-rounder goes to Minnesota. However, if Golden State finishes better than 7th-worst Jazz get their pick.

I think . . . :unsure:

Big week. Essentially a play-in game versus Phoenix on Tuesday for the Jazz. But if Jazz make the playoffs their 1st-rounder goes to Minnesota. However, if Golden State finishes better than 7th-worst Jazz get their pick.I think . . . :unsure:
Though the GS pick was protected #1-#7.....how is Favors looking? Great move by Utah not getting used by Dwill and sucked into all the drama....guy wasnt all in - quick trigger with no input from him....and got a great haul. Nets have no choice but to kiss DWill's behind and hope he stays.

Shrugs is right, this is about 90% Harden's faulthttp://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1076137/elbow.gif
More like 95%. How dare he bump into a player after the guy just dunked the ball
What a vicious shot Harden's head delivered to Artest's elbow. Harden should get at least 3 games, and a hefty fine.
Trying to figure out if anyone here is serious about putting anything on Harden.Pretty sad if so.

Shrugs is right, this is about 90% Harden's faulthttp://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1076137/elbow.gif
More like 95%. How dare he bump into a player after the guy just dunked the ball
What a vicious shot Harden's head delivered to Artest's elbow. Harden should get at least 3 games, and a hefty fine.
Trying to figure out if anyone here is serious about putting anything on Harden.Pretty sad if so.
I'm sure they aren't. At least that is how I'm taking it.

Big week. Essentially a play-in game versus Phoenix on Tuesday for the Jazz. But if Jazz make the playoffs their 1st-rounder goes to Minnesota. However, if Golden State finishes better than 7th-worst Jazz get their pick.I think . . . :unsure:
Though the GS pick was protected #1-#7.....how is Favors looking? Great move by Utah not getting used by Dwill and sucked into all the drama....guy wasnt all in - quick trigger with no input from him....and got a great haul. Nets have no choice but to kiss DWill's behind and hope he stays.
This is why 99% of the time I think it's better for the franchise to deal the FA-in-waiting before the season, and certainly prior to the trade deadline where teams are essentially held hostage and the locker room is torn apart.

This is why 99% of the time I think it's better for the franchise to deal the FA-in-waiting before the season, and certainly prior to the trade deadline where teams are essentially held hostage and the locker room is torn apart.
Exactly. GSW doesn't get props for this but this is what they avoided with Monta also since he was thinking about using his opt out clause after next season.

Yep - its the only way teams have leverage against these stars...I know you want to keep a star at all costs but if they dont give a comittment going into the contract yea ship them out....D Will didnt know what hit him and Utah had no distractions like in Orlando or NJ....2 top 10 picks...Harris and Favors...great move in hindsight. I'll take that vs where the Nets are at now...at DWill's mercy!

On the bright side, the Nets have tanked themselves toward a solid chance of winning one of the top 3 picks in the draft. The loser of Thursday's game in Toronto will have a 21.5% chance of jumping to the top-3, while the 'winner' will only have a 15% chance of jumping to the top-3.And if the Hornets, Kings and Cavaliers can all manage to finish 2-0 (stranger things have happened), then the Nets would end up with a 42% chance of leaping into the top-3.

On the bright side, the Nets have tanked themselves toward a solid chance of winning one of the top 3 picks in the draft. The loser of Thursday's game in Toronto will have a 21.5% chance of jumping to the top-3, while the 'winner' will only have a 15% chance of jumping to the top-3.And if the Hornets, Kings and Cavaliers can all manage to finish 2-0 (stranger things have happened), then the Nets would end up with a 42% chance of leaping into the top-3.
Thanks for the info so there is a 21.5-42% chance that Billy King doesnt completely destroy the future of the franchise...awesome!

Artest's suspension should be "However many games Harden misses plus 3".
I think 10 games or whenever Harden comes back - whichever comes last - sounds about right.
My guess would be 3-5 games, at most.
I don't think Stern wants MWP playing in the first round. I think the suspension will be 7 games in the playoffs PLUS 5 games in the regular season.

You guys' guesses are as good as mine, but there isn't much precedence for 10 game suspensions for in game elbows. It's not like it was pre-meditated; it was purely reactionary, in the moment, and if you watch the tape closely Artest never even looked at Harden.

I'm not suggesting Artest doesn't deserve a multi-game suspension, I just think people have forgotten how much of a positive change Artest has made in recent years, and Stern won't ignore that when dropping the hammer. :shrug:

You guys' guesses are as good as mine, but there isn't much precedence for 10 game suspensions for in game elbows. It's not like it was pre-meditated; it was purely reactionary, in the moment, and if you watch the tape closely Artest never even looked at Harden. I'm not suggesting Artest doesn't deserve a multi-game suspension, I just think people have forgotten how much of a positive change Artest has made in recent years, and Stern won't ignore that when dropping the hammer. :shrug:
You cant even guess what his mindset is. Furthermore, its irrelevant unless you want to make an excuse for his behavior. The guys synapse doesn't fire appropriately.

Artest's suspension should be "However many games Harden misses plus 3".
I think 10 games or whenever Harden comes back - whichever comes last - sounds about right.
My guess would be 3-5 games, at most.
I'm going with the entire playoffs...which is probably about 10 games for the Lakers. Plus they'll probably throw in some kind of anger management stipulation.
I'm not sure that he was angry. That's the scary thing. He's just not right in the head.

"He cooked us the last time he was here," Bryant said of defending Westbrook, whom he harassed into a 3-for-22 shooting night just three weeks after Westbrook torched the Lakers for 36 points. "So I figure, if he's going to cook us, I want him to cook me."
Leadership is one of the all time greatest defensive players stepping his game up to play out of position and shut down a superstar PG 10 years younger. :thumbup:

You guys' guesses are as good as mine, but there isn't much precedence for 10 game suspensions for in game elbows. It's not like it was pre-meditated; it was purely reactionary, in the moment, and if you watch the tape closely Artest never even looked at Harden. I'm not suggesting Artest doesn't deserve a multi-game suspension, I just think people have forgotten how much of a positive change Artest has made in recent years, and Stern won't ignore that when dropping the hammer. :shrug:
But Artest KNEW it was someone from OKC. If you watch the video again, even after he swings through with elbow, he doesn't even look back to see who it was. He just heeps pounding his chest. It was totally on purpose and I don't think I, or most fans, can see it any other way. But you are right, Stern will drop the hammer. I'm guessing 10 games total. I'll be shocked if its less than 7.

But Artest KNEW it was someone from OKC. If you watch the video again, even after he swings through with elbow, he doesn't even look back to see who it was. He just heeps pounding his chest. It was totally on purpose and I don't think I, or most fans, can see it any other way. But you are right, Stern will drop the hammer. I'm guessing 10 games total. I'll be shocked if its less than 7.
Agree that he should be suspended, and agree that even though he didn't intentional aim for anyone in particular, or their head, he should suffer the consequences. Harden flew home last night, wouldn't surprise me if he plays Tuesday or Wed.

Cleveland wins 1 more game at most (vs WAS). No way they win @MEM or @CHI.Sacto is @OKC, vs LALBest bet is NO - @GS, @HOU

And all that "positive change" was gone when he deliberately tried to injure another player. The league has no need for guys like him. I'd love to see him banned for life but of course that won't happen. 5-10 games. Just hope the next guy he takes a cheap-shot on doesn't get severely injured.

Users who are viewing this thread