What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (2 Viewers)

Kinda weird that we're not talking Pacers in this thread, no?

I watched a good bit of Grizz-Pacers last night. Jeebus. Gun to my head I think I'd take the Pacers over the Heat in a seven game series right now.
Well, the problem is they aren't playing right now. The Pacers look more complete than last year and certainly should be deeper, but injuries and fatigue haven't even started to leave their mark on this season.
Of course. And the Heat are doing their usual November/December slow play, which is the right move for them. I'm just saying that this team looks like something special to my eye. I always hesitate jump to conclusions based on smaller sample sizes, but I'm wowed every time I turn them on. Plus I think we have to add another superstar to the short list of marquee NBA names, which is always a good thing for the league.
The Pacers are for real. George and Hibbert are both improved and guve them two beasts onthe defensive end. As for injuries, I'd take my chances on the Pacers staying healthier than the Heat.
The key is the health of Hibbert. If the Pacers make it through relatively healthy, look out! Pacers homer here, but Stevenson has really matured on the court. Granger coming off the bench makes the bench deadly. Watson, Granger, Scola is a lot to defend for most 2nd stringers.The Pacers are on a mission and Hibbert has said he wants to win the defensive MVP, so they have that to play for besides the championship.
They need to be on a mission. Lance Stephenson has matured and blossomed just in time to become an unrestricted free-agent.

Pacers might only be about $6 mill. under the luxury tax (assuming George makes All-NBA and takes his full $3 mill. bonus).

Lowe's piece on the situation:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/82471/the-growing-legend-of-lance-stephenson

In the comments, every Pacer fan is fully convinced that Stephenson will take below market value to stay, that George will forgo his bonus, and that IND will gladly pay some luxury tax if need be. So, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda weird that we're not talking Pacers in this thread, no?

I watched a good bit of Grizz-Pacers last night. Jeebus. Gun to my head I think I'd take the Pacers over the Heat in a seven game series right now.
Well, the problem is they aren't playing right now. The Pacers look more complete than last year and certainly should be deeper, but injuries and fatigue haven't even started to leave their mark on this season.
Of course. And the Heat are doing their usual November/December slow play, which is the right move for them. I'm just saying that this team looks like something special to my eye. I always hesitate jump to conclusions based on smaller sample sizes, but I'm wowed every time I turn them on. Plus I think we have to add another superstar to the short list of marquee NBA names, which is always a good thing for the league.
The Pacers are for real. George and Hibbert are both improved and guve them two beasts onthe defensive end. As for injuries, I'd take my chances on the Pacers staying healthier than the Heat.
The key is the health of Hibbert. If the Pacers make it through relatively healthy, look out! Pacers homer here, but Stevenson has really matured on the court. Granger coming off the bench makes the bench deadly. Watson, Granger, Scola is a lot to defend for most 2nd stringers.The Pacers are on a mission and Hibbert has said he wants to win the defensive MVP, so they have that to play for besides the championship.
They need to be on a mission. Lance Stephenson has matured and blossomed just in time to become an unrestricted free-agent.

Pacers might only be about $6 mill. under the luxury tax (assuming George makes All-NBA and takes his full $3 mill. bonus).

Lowe's piece on the situation:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/82471/the-growing-legend-of-lance-stephenson

In the comments, every Pacer fan is fully convinced that Stephenson will take below market value to stay, that George will forgo his bonus, and that IND will gladly pay some luxury tax if need be. So, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.
Not so much because of the team and the momentum of success, but because who, when he's really made it, DOESN'T want to be in Indianapolis.

The pacers were the best place for Lance Stephenson to develop I think if he went to NY the media coverage would have been too much and if he went to a place like Toronto or Sacremento he would have tried to do much too soon and flamed out.

Irving looks great tonight for a cavs team that is terrible. Has a number 1 overall pick ever been buried on the bench like Bennett has?

On a personal note, I've spent 101 minutes watching the kings, pistons, cavs, and wizards in the last 24 hours. I probably need a new hobby.

Even Kwame Brown got 30+ minutes 6 times as a rookie, including his 2nd and 3rd games (after apparently being hurt for a week or so). Wizards quickly learned that wasn't a great idea.

He ended up with 22 games under 10 min, 19 games b/w 11 and 20 minutes, and only 16 games over 20 minutes.

I suspect Bennett will end up with something similar (provided he doesn't spend a few months in the D-League).

5 games in 7 days followed by two days off then playing Chicago on the back end of a back-to-back caught up to Indiana. Brutal early season schedule and the last undefeated team finally falls.

Irving looks great tonight for a cavs team that is terrible. Has a number 1 overall pick ever been buried on the bench like Bennett has?

On a personal note, I've spent 101 minutes watching the kings, pistons, cavs, and wizards in the last 24 hours. I probably need a new hobby.
Kyrie due to go on a tear, especially after that team meeting I think he's coming with a "#### you" attitude. Next couple weeks could be some big lines from him.

5 games in 7 days followed by two days off then playing Chicago on the back end of a back-to-back caught up to Indiana. Brutal early season schedule and the last undefeated team finally falls.
Pacers need not apologize, great points GD, they have already showed they came ready to go all the way this year. Heat are in real trouble. These two teams are gonna play twice in about 3 weeks from now.

pollardsvision said:
ATL is a very solid team, but you can't get curbstomped like that at home by a team finishing up a back-to-back
As one of the few (only?) Hawks fan on here I'm excited to play a season without Josh Smith. My hatred for him knew no bounds. Decent start to the season for ATL although I'm not sure if it would be better if they sucked with such a strong draft coming up.

pollardsvision said:
ATL is a very solid team, but you can't get curbstomped like that at home by a team finishing up a back-to-back
As one of the few (only?) Hawks fan on here I'm excited to play a season without Josh Smith. My hatred for him knew no bounds. Decent start to the season for ATL although I'm not sure if it would be better if they sucked with such a strong draft coming up.
Ferry is doing such a fantastic job with that team. Millsap for the money they gave him vs. Smith for the money he got is such a no-brainer.

They might be better off stinking, but it's a tough spot for them. With Horford and Teague in the East, there's only so bad you can really be. When you have a guy like Horford, it's almost slimy to not try to win some games. The only other option is to trade him, but no Horford trade partner is giving up a likely 2014 lottery pick to get him.

Trying to field a solid team without giving up stupid contracts seems to be the best option for them.

For all the talk about bottoming out being a good idea (and I agree with it in many cases), it's still pretty rare that it actually works.

"Working" will most often mean you get 7 years out of the star while you desperately sign bad contracts to compete now, only to see them leave at some point.

Outside of SA, SEA/OKC is the best case. (but they had to knock 3 high lotto picks out of the park and a late first-rounder, plus got very lucky they had #2 instead of #1. a series of events any other team will surely not repeat). Then there's the issue that they haven't won a title, and it's still very iffy that they ever will before Durant's in WAS and Westbrook's in LA.

Yeah, I don't want them to tank just that in the grand scheme of things it would be best. They are an entertaining team to watch and not having the black holes that are Josh Smith and Joe Johnson makes it a better product to watch.

Brandon Jennings just dropped the dime of the year off the glass on the break to Drummond for a dunk. Just a sick, sick pass in real time.

CHA easily could have a roster of:

PG: Lawson

SG:Klay Thompson

SF: Rudy Gay

PF: Millsap (if they'd kept their '06 2nd rounder)

C: Noah

BN: Batum

BN: McLemore or MCW, whichever ends up being better

BN: Drummond

BN: Danny Green

BN: Dragic

Doing that stupid exercise, it occurs to me that CHA drafting, while obviously not great, isn't as bad as I thought it was. That team's obviously a lot better than the current roster, but not by as much as I would've thought and you have to go pretty far back to even fill out a full roster.

They really haven't been in position to take a franchise changer very often.

Doing that stupid exercise, it occurs to me that CHA drafting, while obviously not great, isn't as bad as I thought it was. That team's obviously a lot better than the current roster, but not by as much as I would've thought and you have to go pretty far back to even fill out a full roster.

Seem to draft a lot of good, but not great players.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/9993989/new-york-knicks-continue-discuss-trade-packages-involving-iman-shumpert

Knicks still trying to shop Shumpert.

Shockingly, the Nuggets didn't want to give up a dirt-cheap young rebounding machine for him.

Now they are trying to get the Celtics to move Rondo in a deal for Shumpert. To sweeten the pot, they are trying to throw in Amare Stoudamire's contract.

Are we sure the Knicks haven't hired Abe as a consultant?
The ridiculous part is they thought they had a deal with the Nuggets until the Nuggets asked for a 1st round pick.

True, but since the great debacle of '08, there haven't been that many great players they've passed up.

Heck, even with the horrible Morrison pick, they didn't really pass up a franchise changer. They couldn't get Aldridge. If not Morrison, that pick would've likely been Roy or Foye.

Every UNC fan in the world was screaming for Lawson in '09, but a lot of teams passed on him. There's a huge list of great players that year that they just didn't have access to (Harden, Griffin, Curry, Rubio, Jennings). Sadly, after what had happened the previous 3 drafts, Hendo represented the best Bobcats pick in a long time.

As putrid as trading away the 2010 pick was (for Ajinca in '08 to take ahead of Ibaka and Batum), the real player they ended up missing on was Eric Bledsoe with that #16 pick.

The Bismack pick obviously wasn't great, but the real story of that draft was that we didn't walk away with Jimmer, even though Jordan had 2 shots at him. No small victory really.

The only thing that matters from '12 was that we didn't get the #1. At least 27 other teams would've made the same pick, and I think it's still up in the air who the 2nd best player from that draft is. Looks like Drummond, Barnes, or Beal at the moment, but I think it's still up in the air long-term. I don't think the difference will ultimately be that significant.

Before the thought of a Lawson/Klay backcourt drives me insane, I'm going to go dig through Wizards draft history to help me feel better.

True, but since the great debacle of '08, there haven't been that many great players they've passed up.

Heck, even with the horrible Morrison pick, they didn't really pass up a franchise changer. They couldn't get Aldridge. If not Morrison, that pick would've likely been Roy or Foye.

Every UNC fan in the world was screaming for Lawson in '09, but a lot of teams passed on him. There's a huge list of great players that year that they just didn't have access to (Harden, Griffin, Curry, Rubio, Jennings). Sadly, after what had happened the previous 3 drafts, Hendo represented the best Bobcats pick in a long time.

As putrid as trading away the 2010 pick was (for Ajinca in '08 to take ahead of Ibaka and Batum), the real player they ended up missing on was Eric Bledsoe with that #16 pick.

The Bismack pick obviously wasn't great, but the real story of that draft was that we didn't walk away with Jimmer, even though Jordan had 2 shots at him. No small victory really.

The only thing that matters from '12 was that we didn't get the #1. At least 27 other teams would've made the same pick, and I think it's still up in the air who the 2nd best player from that draft is. Looks like Drummond, Barnes, or Beal at the moment, but I think it's still up in the air long-term. I don't think the difference will ultimately be that significant.

Before the thought of a Lawson/Klay backcourt drives me insane, I'm going to go dig through Wizards draft history to help me feel better.
I was super down on Klay after last season, but so far this year he has won me over. He's been playing very good D on the opposing team's best guard (PG/SG vs. Iggy who gets the best between the SG/SF) and still bringing it on offense. Sure his shooting is bound to cool off, but what drove me insane last year was the Mikael Pietrus type TOs and his crappy finishing at the rim (Klay-ups). It's still early in the season, but it looks like he's improved those two issues.

pollardsvision said:
They couldn't get Aldridge.
I'm not sure that's true. Bulls (picking #2) wanted Tyrus Thomas and Portland (picking #4) wanted Aldridge. My understanding is both teams knew the Bobcats wanted Morrison. If the Bobcats wanted Aldridge or Thomas, the Chicago-Portland trade would have fallen apart. If that would have happened, the Bulls likely would have picked Thomas at #2.

pollardsvision said:
I'm not sure that's true. Bulls (picking #2) wanted Tyrus Thomas and Portland (picking #4) wanted Aldridge. My understanding is both teams knew the Bobcats wanted Morrison. If the Bobcats wanted Aldridge or Thomas, the Chicago-Portland trade would have fallen apart. If that would have happened, the Bulls likely would have picked Thomas at #2.
Not that it matters much, but if the Blazers thought the Bobcats might take Aldridge, wouldn't they have been even more motivated to get in the top 3 to get him?

pollardsvision said:
Not that it matters much, but if the Blazers thought the Bobcats might take Aldridge, wouldn't they have been even more motivated to get in the top 3 to get him?
Which other pick in the top 3? Raptors seemed intent on picking Bargnani and I don't think they would would have dealt #1 unless it was a great package for them. So, other than the Bobcats, that meant Portland would have to go through the Bulls or hope that he'd drop to #4.

pollardsvision said:
Which other pick in the top 3? Raptors seemed intent on picking Bargnani and I don't think they would would have dealt #1 unless it was a great package for them. So, other than the Bobcats, that meant Portland would have to go through the Bulls or hope that he'd drop to #4.
I have no idea if the Bobcats had made their intentions known or not, but if they really were advertising their intentions to the league, then advertising that they were going to take Aldridge might've produced the same result (Aldridge going #2).

Given scenario you present, then there really wasn't much reason for the Bulls-Blazers trade to happen. Bulls take Thomas, Cats take the white fella, Blazers get their guy. Done and done. The very fact that the draft day trade happened suggests the Blazers feared the Bobcats might take Aldridge.

Apparently, nobody was worried about the Bobcats taking TT. They wouldn't decide they desperately had to have him until a couple years later. I have to stop talking about this. I'm getting upset.

Here's a couple idiots penning some nice "diss raps" for tonight's game. Be sure to vote for the one you like best.

http://www.rufusonfire.com/2013/11/18/5117732/charlotte-bobcats-at-chicago-bulls-diss-rap

DacGonna address this first because I gotta hate

Derrick Rose waited 18 months to shoot .348

Can't shoot the three or change pace, just gets erased

The most paint he sees is on Carlos Boozer's head and face

Joakim Noah is a nightmare, terrifyingly bad dreams

It seems that he got all of his father's bad genes

A bunch of losers on the bench, squad looking quite frail

But the Bobcats roster is longer than Kirk Hinrich's nails

You beat the Pacers, yeah that's quite magnificent

Thibs is giving 50 minutes to players without ligaments

MKG on Deng, you know he'll keep a tight lock

But Reinsdorf doesn't care, you'll never be the White Sox

BenYour title hopes are nothing but extreme pipe dreams

Booz screams every play like he's being fitted for tight jeans

D Rose is back but his offense has y'all in a panic attack

Catchin' mad flack for lookin' wack now where's his brother at

Can Tony Snell what Bismack is cookin'

Blocks to serve 13 that'll keep everyone's confidence shooken

Luol Deng's legs must be dust, every three looks like butts

A blind squirrel even gets lucky once, but Lu ain't findin any nuts

Just trust, the Cats are coming to fry y'all up like cold cuts

You think you're the #### but you're gonna get flushed

No low flow, full blow, let's forego the intro

and get right to it: your ### is grass, in goes the gas and we're ready to mow

pollardsvision said:
I have no idea if the Bobcats had made their intentions known or not, but if they really were advertising their intentions to the league, then advertising that they were going to take Aldridge might've produced the same result (Aldridge going #2).

Given scenario you present, then there really wasn't much reason for the Bulls-Blazers trade to happen. Bulls take Thomas, Cats take the white fella, Blazers get their guy. Done and done. The very fact that the draft day trade happened suggests the Blazers feared the Bobcats might take Aldridge.

Apparently, nobody was worried about the Bobcats taking TT. They wouldn't decide they desperately had to have him until a couple years later. I have to stop talking about this. I'm getting upset.
As an aside, what was interesting about that Bulls - Blazers was that it wasn't really about Thomas and Aldridge. It was more about money and Viktor Khyrapa:

Portland Trail Blazers trade Viktor Khyrapa and Tyrus Thomas (the 4th pick selected) to Chicago for LaMarcus Aldridge and a conditional second round pick in the 2007 NBA Draft.

Why the Bulls did it: They get the player they want (Thomas) and they save a little money since they pay him at the #4 salary slot instead of #2. They also get another player they value (Khyrapa) and are only giving up a 2nd round pick for this!

Why the Blazers did it: They get the player they want (Aldridge) and insure that the Bulls don't make a different trade, they dump a player that didn't fit in their plans (Khyrapa) and they get a 2nd round pick.

None of this works if the Bobcats aren't so high on Morrison.

Users who are viewing this thread