What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official 2014 In Season Dynasty Trade Thread** (2 Viewers)

Moving along, the following was just accepted:

QRRWWWTF - 12Tm - 1PPR

Gave: M. Wheaton, 1st (1.11 last year--likely to be close to that this year, imo), 30 BB (100/yr)

Got: K. Benjamin, 2nd (2.03 last year--likely to be close to that this year, imo)
Benjamin by a lot.

The "only thing" besides being a 2nd round pick by the best organization in the NFL, lighting up training camp, and looking like a beast at almost every opportunity so far. The signs are there if you can read them. People obsessing over the Turbin thing will feel silly when they're sheepishly moving Michael up in their top 10 dynasty RBs in about 12-15 months.
If you were valuing Michael as a typical late 2nd round RB in a good situation with poor opportunity we wouldn't be disagreeing at all. You're not.

And it's not entirely (or even mostly) about Turbin. It's about reasonable expected value of an unknown player with Michael's overall profile, which ain't even remotely close to top-10 FF RB value.

And come on with the "lighting up training camp" and "looking like a beast" in preseason stuff. You've been around long enough to know better about that.
The young starting RB for the Seahawks is a top FF RB. Michael has the physical attributes to earn that job so really it's a matter of risk tolerance.

If Lynch is cut and Michael is named the starter next year then he'll be considering a top 10 FF RB by almost everybody. Some people are will to assume those two things happen now so they don't have to overpay later.

12 team Q RRR WWWW T Flex DT DE DE LB LB LB DT/LB CB CB S S K

Team A: Manziel

for

Team B: 2015 1st + 2015 4th

Team A has Cutler and Luck and can only start one QB. The picks could be 'earlyish' and B only had Brees and Vick.

QRRWWWTF - 12Tm - 1PPR

Gave: M. Wheaton, 1st (1.11 last year--likely to be close to that this year, imo), 30 BB (100/yr)

Got: K. Benjamin, 2nd (2.03 last year--likely to be close to that this year, imo)
Unless it is a top 5 1st I would take Benjamin. If the 1st and 2nd are that close again then it is a slam dunk

for

Team A has Cutler and Luck and can only start one QB. The picks could be 'earlyish' and B only had Brees and Vick.
Crazy deal in a normal league. Even crazier given 12*9 skill players start each week.

QRRWWWTF - 12Tm - 1PPR

Unless it is a top 5 1st I would take Benjamin. If the 1st and 2nd are that close again then it is a slam dunk
My thinking as well. I've had teams I expected to be top 3 finish bottom 3, so nothing is a given. But I like my side of the gamble as well.

QRRWWWTF - 12Tm - 1PPR

My thinking as well. I've had teams I expected to be top 3 finish bottom 3, so nothing is a given. But I like my side of the gamble as well.
Benjamin is alot better than a marginal pick upgrade and Wheaton. Nicely done

for

1st

Not involved

Team A gave

Fitz

2 2015 5ths

Team B gave

Hurns

2015 3rd
Team A will be kicking themselves soon.
...or sooner if they read this.

14 team qrrwwtff

Gave: Deangelo Williams, Bryce Brown, 2015 2 (mid-late)

Got: Joique Bell
I might take Brown/2nd and give up Joique's production this year

Last edited by a moderator:
12 team best ball dynasty. QRRWWWTF; 0.5 ppr; 5/pTD; .05/pyd

Gave: Dobson + McKinnon

Got: Alex Smith + McCluster

I'm a title contender, but my QB2 was Shaun Hill. With best ball, Smith adds ~70 points to my year-end total. Dobson maybe 20.
This makes sense to me in best ball format. In traditional leagues, I'd have held onto McKinnon/Dobson.

for

Crazy deal in a normal league. Even crazier given 12*9 skill players start each week.
And the scoring is very fair towards the IDPs. The likes of Watt score like a very good QB/RB/WR. Even with the picks being 1.12 and 4.12 I'd take that side.

2nd Trich trade ive made in the last few days, other one I got Wheaton and McFadden for Trich

Gave

Trich

Got

Shorts

14 team qrrwwtff

Gave: Deangelo Williams, Bryce Brown, 2015 2 (mid-late)

Got: Joique Bell
Not a big fan of Bell but liked this deal for you given it upgraded your lineup.
Yeah, could go either way on overall value but for a contending team and considering how deep the league is/hard it is to find RBs on the wire and fill out a full lineup I felt like it made a ton of sense. Brown definitely could turn into a player though (though I've never been super-encouraged by his inability to figure out how to hold the football or run through the designed hole).

2nd Trich trade ive made in the last few days, other one I got Wheaton and McFadden for Trich

Gave

Trich

Got

Shorts
I go T-Rich here as well. I've been buying in a couple leagues when I can get him for dirt cheap. He will never be ADP at this point but looking at Ingram's semi-resurgence I'm starting to think some of these backs from the Alabamas, Wisconsins and other dominant Line schools of the world might have a similar learning curve to a small school prospect as they get used to having to actually read the play and look for holes sooner than being 5 yards downfield.

10 team QQRRWWWW

RG3

for

Hoyer, Manziel, 2015 3rd (Cousins owner FWIW)
RG3 (I'm not really a Manziel guy though)

I agree with humpback that all of the Christine Michael stuff has been covered many times over in his thread. Whatever you believe about him right now isn't likely to change for a while. That being said, I'll just address this quickly:

I'm with you--let's reevaluate if and when we get some actual results. In the meantime, I think the market is far too convinced of his future success.
His showing at the combine (both + and -) is already baked in to his draft position. And since he's been drafted, we have basically nothing (no, coachspeak and preseason stats don't count as meaningful new data), so anchoring his value to the one hard data point we have, his draft position, would appear to be a reasonable thing to do. Yet somehow that's considered "hate."
I think the main area where I disagree with you guys is the idea that he hasn't done anything in the NFL. "Generic 2nd round RB with scary measurables" is about how I viewed Michael from April-July of last season. However, I was following Hawks camp reports closely last year and watching all of their preseason games. He consistently drew rave reviews from practice observers, racked up silly stats in the preseason, and looked like a monster doing it. If that counts as "nothing" to you guys then that's your MO, but for me it was enough to push him up in my estimation considerably. That's why my tone on him changed from cautious optimism around draft season to bullish optimism ever since last fall. I think we all try to incorporate significant new information into our thinking, but we often disagree on what constitutes significant new information.

Think about a guy like Marques Colston. At what point did you decide that he was a legit high level NFL starter? Did you decide that in his rookie preseason when the Saints shipped Stallworth out to clear a spot for him in the starting lineup? Did you decide after one good game? After one good month? After one good season? After two good seasons? Different FF owners react at different rates to different players. From my perspective, you guys are just missing the road signs with Michael, but obviously from your perspective there either are no signs or the signs are discouraging (i.e. him being "behind" Turbin). We're doing the same thing, but we're putting different values on different data points and thus reaching different conclusions. Not much more to it than that.

All that said, Michael is not a guy that I would expect the "look backward to look forward" crowd to appreciate. People wired to think like that aren't going to "get" him until he's succeeded beyond a reasonable doubt. As I've often said, that approach is great for avoiding big mistakes and embarrassing calls, but it's also great for ensuring that you miss out on a huge percentage of breakout players (because there will always be someone willing to outbid you for a Patterson, Michael, Cooks, Hunter, Hyde while you play the "prove it" game). Different strokes for different folks, but I like the "look forward to look backward" mindset myself and that's why most of my analysis is based on what's going to happen and not what already did.

All that said, Michael is not a guy that I would expect the "look backward to look forward" crowd to appreciate. People wired to think like that aren't going to "get" him until he's succeeded beyond a reasonable doubt. As I've often said, that approach is great for avoiding big mistakes and embarrassing calls, but it's also great for ensuring that you miss out on a huge percentage of breakout players (because there will always be someone willing to outbid you for a Patterson, Michael, Cooks, Hunter, Hyde while you play the "prove it" game). Different strokes for different folks, but I like the "look forward to look backward" mindset myself and that's why most of my analysis is based on what's going to happen and not what already did.
I think you're trying to pigeonhole the people who disagree with you. I wish you wouldn't. I have no problem ranking players high before they prove it. Watkins is my #18 overall player- I've got him higher than any staffer except for Parsons (and I don't think even you would try to out-youth Parsons). I've got Tavon Austin 13 spots higher than the staff consensus (and 6 spots higher than any other individual staffer) despite not having "seen it" yet with him. Jordan Reed was my #15 dynasty TE last offseason as a 3rd round pick with zero career snaps. I was the highest staffer on Julius Thomas last offseason, dating all the way back to May when Bloom and I were the only ones who even had him ranked. Who has two thumbs and is one of the two highest staffers on Manziel, Bortles, and Bridgewater? This guy! Who is the guy who has been saying for years that nobody in the NFL- not no one- is worth four rookie first round picks? That'd be me, picking the side of the yet-to-prove-it over the side of the succeeded-beyond-a-reasonable-doubt. Do you not remember the epic debates I used to have to get in to try to justify my high Devin Hester ranking when he first switched to WR? What had he proven at that point that was causing me to rank him that high?

Maybe it's easier for you to think that I am lower on Christine Michael than you are because I routinely need to "see it" before I'm going to place fair value on anyone, and that's some sort of flaw in my operating system that savvy owners like you are able to exploit. The truth is that I'm lower on Christine Michael than you are because I just don't think Christine Michael is that good of a prospect. I think the Michael backers are not adequately accounting for the full range of possible outcomes and pricing Michael fairly based on the resulting risk and reward. I think when you say you're pricing him on "what's going to happen", what you really mean is that you're pricing him based on your expectations, and I think you should be pricing him on EV instead. And I resent the implication that most of my analysis is based on what already happened rather than an attempt to predict what is going to happen. Honestly, that's a ludicrous straw man, and I'd be glad to dress it up in armor, stick it on a horse, and take a few more turns in the lists with it.

We're both trying to predict what will happen, here. You have your methods. I have mine. Sometimes we disagree. When we do, it's not because you're enlightened and have discovered the secret of what we're really trying to measure while I'm fumbling around in the dark with a 3-year-old copy of the NFL Record and Fact book and a 300-level stats textbook from the '70s. It's because sometimes smart, educated, earnest, well-intentioned people disagree. Be thankful they do, because otherwise fantasy football would be an awfully boring hobby.

I'm not going to pollute this thread further by responding to that here, but I'll post a reply in the Dynasty Rankings thread if anyone wants to continue the Christine Michael discussion.

I think you're trying to pigeonhole the people who disagree with you. I wish you wouldn't. I have no problem ranking players high before they prove it. Watkins is my #18 overall player- I've got him higher than any staffer except for Parsons (and I don't think even you would try to out-youth Parsons). I've got Tavon Austin 13 spots higher than the staff consensus (and 6 spots higher than any other individual staffer) despite not having "seen it" yet with him. Jordan Reed was my #15 dynasty TE last offseason as a 3rd round pick with zero career snaps. I was the highest staffer on Julius Thomas last offseason, dating all the way back to May when Bloom and I were the only ones who even had him ranked. Who has two thumbs and is one of the two highest staffers on Manziel, Bortles, and Bridgewater? This guy! Who is the guy who has been saying for years that nobody in the NFL- not no one- is worth four rookie first round picks? That'd be me, picking the side of the yet-to-prove-it over the side of the succeeded-beyond-a-reasonable-doubt. Do you not remember the epic debates I used to have to get in to try to justify my high Devin Hester ranking when he first switched to WR? What had he proven at that point that was causing me to rank him that high?

Maybe it's easier for you to think that I am lower on Christine Michael than you are because I routinely need to "see it" before I'm going to place fair value on anyone, and that's some sort of flaw in my operating system that savvy owners like you are able to exploit. The truth is that I'm lower on Christine Michael than you are because I just don't think Christine Michael is that good of a prospect. I think the Michael backers are not adequately accounting for the full range of possible outcomes and pricing Michael fairly based on the resulting risk and reward. I think when you say you're pricing him on "what's going to happen", what you really mean is that you're pricing him based on your expectations, and I think you should be pricing him on EV instead. And I resent the implication that most of my analysis is based on what already happened rather than an attempt to predict what is going to happen. Honestly, that's a ludicrous straw man, and I'd be glad to dress it up in armor, stick it on a horse, and take a few more turns in the lists with it.

We're both trying to predict what will happen, here. You have your methods. I have mine. Sometimes we disagree. When we do, it's not because you're enlightened and have discovered the secret of what we're really trying to measure while I'm fumbling around in the dark with a 3-year-old copy of the NFL Record and Fact book and a 300-level stats textbook from the '70s. It's because sometimes smart, educated, earnest, well-intentioned people disagree. Be thankful they do, because otherwise fantasy football would be an awfully boring hobby.
Good post - well written.

I do think you are missing the mark on Michael though. The guy is ultra talented and explosive. I cannot think of a reason that I would not want to have him on my dynasty team - other than "he is not doing it right now".

10 team start 2QB, 2RB, 4WR. PPR

Team A got: Lacy, Starks, Hurns, Moncrief

Team B got: KAllen, Vereen, Roddy

Two trades, not involved.

10 team 1ppr, start 1qb,2rb,3wr,1te,1superflex + idp

Team A gave:

Toby Gerhart

2015 1st from Team A (likely a mid pick but who knows)

Team B gave

Andre Ellington

Same league

Team A gave:

Mike Evans

Team B gave:

LeVeon Bell

Team A gave:

Toby Gerhart

Team B gave

Andre Ellington

Same league

Team A gave:

Mike Evans

Team B gave:

LeVeon Bell
Bolded, please, sir.

Team A gave:

Toby Gerhart

Team B gave

Andre Ellington

Same league

Team A gave:

Mike Evans

Team B gave:

LeVeon Bell
Ellington and Bell. Probably would have went Evans preseason but Bell looks really good

10 team start 2QB, 2RB, 4WR. PPR

Team A got: Lacy, Starks, Hurns, Moncrief

Team B got: KAllen, Vereen, Roddy
Hmm, tough call. In 2RB, I might go Lacy side. Especially if Hurns has another good week.

Team A gave:

Toby Gerhart

Team B gave

Andre Ellington

Same league

Team A gave:

Mike Evans

Team B gave:

LeVeon Bell
Ellington & Bell in 2RB leagues.

Team A gave:

Toby Gerhart

Team B gave

Andre Ellington

Same league

Team A gave:

Mike Evans

Team B gave:

LeVeon Bell
Ellington and Bell pretty easy in a 10 team

12 team PPR - 1Q, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 3F

Gave: Bowe

Got: Ingram

--------