What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Great Works Draft (1 Viewer)

Team Norwood/Anborn selects...

30.05 - the Pont du Gard aquiduct - building/structure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pont_du_Gard

UNESCO World Heritage site

Built on three levels, the Pont is 49 m high, and the longest level is 275 m (300 yards) long.

* Lower level: 6 arches, 142 m long, 6 m thick, 22 m high

* Middle level: 11 arches, 242 m long, 4 m thick, 20 m high

* Upper level: 35 arches, 275 m long, 3 m thick, 7 m high

On its first level, it carries a road and at the top of the third level, a water conduit, which is 1.8 metres (6 ft) high and 1.2 meters (4 ft) wide and has a gradient of 0.4 percent.
It was constructed entirely without the use of mortar. The aqueduct's stones – some of which weigh up to 6 tons – were precisely cut to fit perfectly together eliminating the need for mortar. The masonry was lifted into place by block and tackle with a massive human-powered treadmill providing the power for the winch. A complex scaffold was erected to support the aqueduct as it was being built. The face of the aqueduct still bears the mark of its construction, in the form of protruding scaffolding supports and ridges on the piers which supported the semicircular wooden frames on which the arches were constructed. It is believed to have taken about three years to build, employing between 800 and 1,000 workers.

My pick for 29.20 - An American Invention

Technologies to prevent and reverse the horrible creep of heart disease have been a Holy Grail of medicine. From baboon hearts to pacemakers, Mankind has fixated on that old ticker pumping for one day more. The most astounding invention so far was developed by Dr. Robert Jarvik in 1982. With an ovoid shape and a blood-compatible polymer designed to ease transplants, his invention is still a marvel. That December, the first one heart was implanted into a retired dentist. He survived 112 days with that device, and over 90 more devices were installed in other patients. Although it's not a permanent solution, it is still in use as a "bridge" for patients who experience heart failure when a donor is not yet available.

I select, The Artifical Heart, by Dr. Robert Jarvik
I had this on my list, but after contemplating Jarvik doing those Lipitor commercials, dropped his money grabbing sell-out self from my Board.He is not a Cardiologist, or even a licensed Doctor. He did not invent the original artificial heart, but did make significant improvements to his colleagues design.

That being said, I believe a phony money grabber should fit right into a team compiled by a Yankees Fan, and by one who also drafted Yankee Stadium as a great building work

If you watch any amount of television, you've undoubtedly seen the onslaught of pharmaceutical ads that run during commercial breaks. One such ad for Lipitor, which has been run countless times over the past few years, is now under fire after a congressional committee questioned its authenticity.

The Lipitor ads feature Dr. Robert Jarvik, who according to the New York Times, is not a cardiologist or even a licensed doctor. And he's most certainly not a rower, as the ad depicts. But that's not the way the makers of the number one selling drug in the world portray him in the TV ads.

Some earlier versions of the TV ads also made the claim that Jarvik is the inventor of the artificial heart, which is misleading. The credit should actually go to Drs. Willem J. Kolff and Tetsuzo Akutsu, said former Jarvik colleagues. Jarvik is actually credited with making improvements on the artificial heart. These ads were later changed to say that he invited "the Jarvik artificial heart."

The House Energy & Commerce Committee is still proceeding with its investigation into Pfizer and their misleading Lipitor ads.

Representative Bart Stupak (D-MI), did however say that he was happy Pfizer has had enough sense to pull the ads, "I commend Pfizer. When consumers see and hear a doctor endorsing medication, they expect the doctor is a credible individual with requisite knowledge of the drug."
Nufced

Last edited by a moderator:
Pick 30.01 - round out my poetry category. krista, I demand you love this poem. For it is read in most 4th of July events that have a solemn portion.

I select, A Nation's Strength by Ralph Waldo Emerson

What makes a nation’s pillars high

And its foundations strong?

What makes it mighty to defy

The foes that round it throng?

It is not gold. Its kingdoms grand

Go down in battle shock;

Its shafts are laid on sinking sand,

Not on abiding rock.

Is it the sword? Ask the red dust

Of empires passed away;

The blood has turned their stones to rust,

Their glory to decay.

And is it pride? Ah, that bright crown

Has seemed to nations sweet;

But God has struck its luster down

In ashes at his feet.

Not gold but only men can make

A people great and strong;

Men who for truth and honor’s sake

Stand fast and suffer long.

Brave men who work while others sleep,

Who dare while others fly...

They build a nation’s pillars deep

And lift them to the sky.

My pick for 29.20 - An American Invention

Technologies to prevent and reverse the horrible creep of heart disease have been a Holy Grail of medicine. From baboon hearts to pacemakers, Mankind has fixated on that old ticker pumping for one day more. The most astounding invention so far was developed by Dr. Robert Jarvik in 1982. With an ovoid shape and a blood-compatible polymer designed to ease transplants, his invention is still a marvel. That December, the first one heart was implanted into a retired dentist. He survived 112 days with that device, and over 90 more devices were installed in other patients. Although it's not a permanent solution, it is still in use as a "bridge" for patients who experience heart failure when a donor is not yet available.

I select, The Artifical Heart, by Dr. Robert Jarvik
I had this on my list, but after contemplating Jarvik doing those Lipitor commercials, dropped his money grabbing sell-out self from my Board.He is not a Cardiologist, or even a licensed Doctor. He did not invent the original artificial heart, but did make significant improvements to his colleagues design.

That being said, I believe a phony money grabber should fit right into a team compiled by a Yankees Fan, and by one who also drafted Yankee Stadium as a great building work

Nufced
Ouch.And how dare you attack Yankee Stadium? That is not forgivable.

If Jarvik was just the guy that got the title from the entire team, that's fine. I just grabbed the first short internet snip I could find on the heart.

Pick 30.01 - round out my poetry category. krista, I demand you love this poem. For it is read in most 4th of July events that have a solemn portion.

I select, A Nation's Strength by Ralph Waldo Emerson

What makes a nation’s pillars high

And its foundations strong?

What makes it mighty to defy

The foes that round it throng?

It is not gold. Its kingdoms grand

Go down in battle shock;

Its shafts are laid on sinking sand,

Not on abiding rock.

Is it the sword? Ask the red dust

Of empires passed away;

The blood has turned their stones to rust,

Their glory to decay.

And is it pride? Ah, that bright crown

Has seemed to nations sweet;

But God has struck its luster down

In ashes at his feet.

Not gold but only men can make

A people great and strong;

Men who for truth and honor’s sake

Stand fast and suffer long.

Brave men who work while others sleep,

Who dare while others fly...

They build a nation’s pillars deep

And lift them to the sky.
I do love this poem.But I'm not the poems judge.

Speaking of judging, in thinking about it further last night, I'd prefer not to be the acting performances judge. Is there someone else who is willing to do it? I have the advantage that right now I have seen every film from which a performance has been chosen (I think), but I'm hoping someone else would be willing to watch the ones they haven't seen and give this a whirl.

mad sweeney, by dropping out, is able to extend his streak of never having watched Gone with the Wind. :goodposting:

SKIPPED

23.05 - Doug B (requested skip)

24.16 - Doug B (autoskip)

25.05 - Doug B (autoskip)

26.16 - Doug B (autoskip)

27.05 - Doug B - (autoskip)

28.11 - Thatguy (autoskip)

28.16 - Doug B (autoskip)

29.05 - Doug B (autoskip)

29.11 - El Floppo (autoskip if not here in first 15)

29.15 - Bob Lee Swagger (timed out)

29.19 - Tirnan (autoskip if not around)

30.02 - Tirnan (autoskip if not around)

30.06 - Bob Lee Swagger (autoskip due to prior timeout)

30.08. Uncle Humuna - OTC until :52

30.09. Mister CIA

30.10. El Floppo (autoskip if not here in first 15)

30.11. thatguy (autoskip until further notice)

30.12. Big Rocks

30.13. Tides of War

30.14. BobbyLayne

30.15. Abrantes

30.16. DougB (autoskip until further notice)

30.17. timschochet (autoskip for next pick if not around)

30.18. Postradamus

30.19. Rodg12

30.20. krista4

29.11 Acting Performance- Jack Nicholson as Robert Eroica Dupea in Five Easy Pieces

Had to get Jack. Between this and another, less "Jack" performance- but I think this is his best and one of the best performances I've ever seen. Combines all the crazed bravado of his better known roles with some amazing subtlety packed into this amazing film. Giving this one the edge to a couple of others I was thinking about due to what I think is the best character he's gotten to play.

Folks, I'll make up all my skipped picks in due time. The GF has been here so I haven't had much time to check in. But she leaves tomorrow afternoon, so I'll have caught up and made all of my skipped picks by tomorrow evening at the latest.

29.15 - Otis Blue - Album - Otis Redding

Side one

1. "Ole Man Trouble" (Redding) – 2:55

2. "Respect" (Redding) – 2:05

3. "A Change Is Gonna Come" (Sam Cooke) – 4:17

4. "Down in the Valley" (Bert Berns, Solomon Burke, Babe Chivian, Joe Martin) – 3:02

5. "I've Been Loving You Too Long" (Redding, Jerry Butler) – 3:10

Side two

1. "Shake" (Cooke) – 2:35

2. "My Girl" (Smokey Robinson, Ronald White) – 2:52

3. "Wonderful World" (Cooke, Lou Adler, Herb Alpert) – 3:00

4. "Rock Me Baby" (B. B. King) – 3:20

5. "Satisfaction" (Mick Jagger, Keith Richards) – 2:45

6. "You Don't Miss Your Water" (William Bell) – 2:53
30.06 - Gregorian Calendar - Invention
The Gregorian calendar is the internationally accepted civil calendar.[1][2][3] It was first proposed by the Calabrian doctor Aloysius Lilius, and decreed by Pope Gregory XIII, after whom it was named, on 24 February 1582 by the papal bull Inter gravissimas.

It is a reform of the Julian calendar. Gregory's bull does not order any particular year numbering system, but uses the Anno Domini system which counts years from the traditional Incarnation of Jesus, and which spread throughout Europe during the middle ages. That is the same year numbering system that is the de facto international standard today.[4]

The Gregorian calendar modifies the Julian calendar's regular four-year cycle of leap years as follows:

Every year that is exactly divisible by four is a leap year, except for years that are exactly divisible by 100; the centurial years that are exactly divisible by 400 are still leap years. For example, the year 1900 is not a leap year; the year 2000 is a leap year.[5]

SKIPPED

30.09. Mister CIA - OTC until :34

30.10. El Floppo (autoskip if not here in first 15)

30.12. Big Rocks

30.13. Tides of War

30.14. BobbyLayne

30.15. Abrantes

30.18. Postradamus

30.19. Rodg12

30.20. krista4

:whipes brow:

Boy, did I pick the wrong day to take a long lunch!! Picks have been fast and furious. Sites should be up-to-date now.

Thanks for keeping the order posts going krista! :goodposting: Slight update to krista's last post (since Mister CIA is on autoskip for the rest of the draft)......

SKIPPED

30.09. Mister CIA - (autoskip)

30.10. El Floppo (autoskip if not here in first 15) - OTC since I think you're around

30.12. Big Rocks - On Deck

30.13. Tides of War - In The Hole

30.14. BobbyLayne (autoskip if not around)

30.15. Abrantes

30.18. Postradamus

30.19. Rodg12

30.20. krista4

The Gregorian calendar is the internationally accepted civil calendar.[1][2][3] It was first proposed by the Calabrian doctor Aloysius Lilius, and decreed by Pope Gregory XIII, after whom it was named, on 24 February 1582 by the papal bull Inter gravissimas.

It is a reform of the Julian calendar. Gregory's bull does not order any particular year numbering system, but uses the Anno Domini system which counts years from the traditional Incarnation of Jesus, and which spread throughout Europe during the middle ages. That is the same year numbering system that is the de facto international standard today.[4]

The Gregorian calendar modifies the Julian calendar's regular four-year cycle of leap years as follows:

Every year that is exactly divisible by four is a leap year, except for years that are exactly divisible by 100; the centurial years that are exactly divisible by 400 are still leap years. For example, the year 1900 is not a leap year; the year 2000 is a leap year.[5]
Great pick :goodposting: ... except for that leap year nonsense.

Great pick :thumbup: ... except for that leap year nonsense.
Thanks, I had a hard time deciding when exactly this would be good value. Now, I guess. And yeah, leap years are teh suck.

:whipes brow:Boy, did I pick the wrong day to take a long lunch!! Picks have been fast and furious. Sites should be up-to-date now.Thanks for keeping the order posts going krista! :tinfoilhat: Slight update to krista's last post (since Mister CIA is on autoskip for the rest of the draft)......SKIPPED23.05 - Doug B (requested skip)24.16 - Doug B (autoskip)25.05 - Doug B (autoskip)26.16 - Doug B (autoskip)27.05 - Doug B - (autoskip)28.11 - Thatguy (autoskip)28.16 - Doug B (autoskip)29.05 - Doug B (autoskip)29.19 - Tirnan (autoskip if not around)30.02 - Tirnan (autoskip if not around)30.09. Mister CIA - (autoskip)30.10. El Floppo (autoskip if not here in first 15) - OTC since I think you're around30.11. thatguy (autoskip until further notice)30.12. Big Rocks - On Deck30.13. Tides of War - In The Hole30.14. BobbyLayne (autoskip if not around)30.15. Abrantes30.16. DougB (autoskip until further notice)30.17. timschochet (autoskip for next pick if not around)30.18. Postradamus30.19. Rodg1230.20. krista4
Thanks for the correction. Looks like Big Rocks is up.

:whipes brow:Boy, did I pick the wrong day to take a long lunch!! Picks have been fast and furious. Sites should be up-to-date now.Thanks for keeping the order posts going krista! :tinfoilhat: Slight update to krista's last post (since Mister CIA is on autoskip for the rest of the draft)......SKIPPED23.05 - Doug B (requested skip)24.16 - Doug B (autoskip)25.05 - Doug B (autoskip)26.16 - Doug B (autoskip)27.05 - Doug B - (autoskip)28.11 - Thatguy (autoskip)28.16 - Doug B (autoskip)29.05 - Doug B (autoskip)29.19 - Tirnan (autoskip if not around)30.02 - Tirnan (autoskip if not around)30.09. Mister CIA - (autoskip)30.10. El Floppo (autoskip if not here in first 15) - OTC since I think you're around30.11. thatguy (autoskip until further notice)30.12. Big Rocks - On Deck30.13. Tides of War - In The Hole30.14. BobbyLayne (autoskip if not around)30.15. Abrantes30.16. DougB (autoskip until further notice)30.17. timschochet (autoskip for next pick if not around)30.18. Postradamus30.19. Rodg1230.20. krista4
Thanks for the correction. Looks like Big Rocks is up.
:(Just sent him a PM.

Now that I've taken over wikkid's team, I have to give it my own feel to it. So I'm going to start by taking a personal favorite of mine.

30.12 Pulp Fiction, movie

A few scenes from the movie, courtesy of youtube:

Breakfast scene

Marvin shot

Butch and Marsellus held captive

Even though it's an extremely popular movie, there's a portion of people that don't like it. So even if krista doesn't like it (I'm sure she does :( ), I'm happy to get it in the 30th round.

If this one has been taken or is out of context or whatever, let me know and I'll fight it for at least 6 pages before quitting and finally caving in.

30.10 Invention, Steel

Steel is an alloy consisting mostly of iron, with a carbon content between 0.2% and 2.14% by weight (C:110–10Fe), depending on grade. Carbon is the most cost-effective alloying material for iron, but various other alloying elements are used such as manganese, chromium, vanadium, and tungsten.[1] Carbon and other elements act as a hardening agent, preventing dislocations in the iron atom crystal lattice from sliding past one another. Varying the amount of alloying elements and form of their presence in the steel (solute elements, precipitated phase) controls qualities such as the hardness, ductility, and tensile strength of the resulting steel. Steel with increased carbon content can be made harder and stronger than iron, but is also more brittle. The maximum solubility of carbon in iron (as austenite) is 2.14% by weight, occurring at 1149 °C; higher concentrations of carbon or lower temperatures will produce cementite. Alloys with higher carbon content than this are known as cast iron because of their lower melting point and castability.[1] Steel is also to be distinguished from wrought iron containing only a very small amount of other elements, but containing 1–3% by weight of slag in the form of particles elongated in one direction, giving the iron a characteristic grain. It is more rust-resistant than steel and welds more easily. It is common today to talk about 'the iron and steel industry' as if it were a single entity, but historically they were separate products.

Though steel had been produced by various inefficient methods long before the Renaissance, its use became more common after more efficient production methods were devised in the 17th century. With the invention of the Bessemer process in the mid-19th century, steel became a relatively inexpensive mass-produced material. Further refinements in the process, such as basic oxygen steelmaking, further lowered the cost of production while increasing the quality of the metal. Today, steel is one of the most common materials in the world and is a major component in buildings, infrastructure, tools, ships, automobiles, machines, and appliances. Modern steel is generally identified by various grades of steel defined by various standards organizations.

Now that I've taken over wikkid's team, I have to give it my own feel to it. So I'm going to start by taking a personal favorite of mine.

Breakfast scene

Marvin shot

Even though it's an extremely popular movie, there's a portion of people that don't like it. So even if krista doesn't like it (I'm sure she does :) ), I'm happy to get it in the 30th round.
:mellow: :goodposting:

Breakfast scene

Marvin shot

Even though it's an extremely popular movie, there's a portion of people that don't like it. So even if krista doesn't like it (I'm sure she does :) ), I'm happy to get it in the 30th round.
I absolutely love the movie. Don't know where it will shake out with so many great movies being selected, but if it's lower than you'd like it's not because of my personal preference. The first time I saw it was in Paris--it was unreasonably hot one day so I ducked into a movie theatre to cool off. It was hilarious to see how some of the dialogue was translated into the French subtitles.For a few years, my mom lived in a backwards little town about an hour outside of Louisville. She and my stepfather went to see Pulp Fiction there, and after the movie was over she heard someone complaining that they wanted their money back because the reels were shown out of order. The movie theater manager told the complainers: "We thought so, too, so we went down to Louisville to watch it but it was in the same order. :mellow: " :goodposting:

If this one has been taken or is out of context or whatever, let me know and I'll fight it for at least 6 pages before quitting and finally caving in.

30.10 Invention, Steel

Steel is an alloy consisting mostly of iron, with a carbon content between 0.2% and 2.14% by weight (C:110–10Fe), depending on grade. Carbon is the most cost-effective alloying material for iron, but various other alloying elements are used such as manganese, chromium, vanadium, and tungsten.[1] Carbon and other elements act as a hardening agent, preventing dislocations in the iron atom crystal lattice from sliding past one another. Varying the amount of alloying elements and form of their presence in the steel (solute elements, precipitated phase) controls qualities such as the hardness, ductility, and tensile strength of the resulting steel. Steel with increased carbon content can be made harder and stronger than iron, but is also more brittle. The maximum solubility of carbon in iron (as austenite) is 2.14% by weight, occurring at 1149 °C; higher concentrations of carbon or lower temperatures will produce cementite. Alloys with higher carbon content than this are known as cast iron because of their lower melting point and castability.[1] Steel is also to be distinguished from wrought iron containing only a very small amount of other elements, but containing 1–3% by weight of slag in the form of particles elongated in one direction, giving the iron a characteristic grain. It is more rust-resistant than steel and welds more easily. It is common today to talk about 'the iron and steel industry' as if it were a single entity, but historically they were separate products.

Though steel had been produced by various inefficient methods long before the Renaissance, its use became more common after more efficient production methods were devised in the 17th century. With the invention of the Bessemer process in the mid-19th century, steel became a relatively inexpensive mass-produced material. Further refinements in the process, such as basic oxygen steelmaking, further lowered the cost of production while increasing the quality of the metal. Today, steel is one of the most common materials in the world and is a major component in buildings, infrastructure, tools, ships, automobiles, machines, and appliances. Modern steel is generally identified by various grades of steel defined by various standards organizations.
Hoped this had slipped people's minds and I could pick it up later. :mellow:

Breakfast scene

Marvin shot

Even though it's an extremely popular movie, there's a portion of people that don't like it. So even if krista doesn't like it (I'm sure she does ;) ), I'm happy to get it in the 30th round.
I absolutely love the movie. Don't know where it will shake out with so many great movies being selected, but if it's lower than you'd like it's not because of my personal preference. The first time I saw it was in Paris--it was unreasonably hot one day so I ducked into a movie theatre to cool off. It was hilarious to see how some of the dialogue was translated into the French subtitles.For a few years, my mom lived in a backwards little town about an hour outside of Louisville. She and my stepfather went to see Pulp Fiction there, and after the movie was over she heard someone complaining that they wanted their money back because the reels were shown out of order. The movie theater manager told the complainers: "We thought so, too, so we went down to Louisville to watch it but it was in the same order. :goodposting: " :goodposting:
:sadbanana: Country folk are so funny cuz they're so danged stoopid!

Last time I saw Dr Strangelove in a theater was in Paris... took me about 2/3 of the movie to realize I was the only person laughing. I started to read (as best I could) the French subtitles and realized that the translation was sucking the comedy out of it... or maybe just having to read the lines and not hear them spoken. Dunno. The only time anybody else laughed was when the Russian ambassador said something along the lines of "it must be true... I read it in the NY Times". Pretty much the only time I didn't laugh.

30.10 Invention, Steel

Hoped this had slipped people's minds and I could pick it up later. :thumbup:
The good news is, these are still available:TV Show

Novel

This does not really fit my thematic attempt, but like The Great Sphinx and Venus de Milo, I cannot continue to pass on the opportunity to get one of the seven ancient wonders.

30.13 - Pharos, The Lighthouse of Alexandra, Egypt - Building / Structure

Artists sketch

The Lighthouse of Alexandra, Egypt

The lighthouse was the only ancient wonder that had a practical use, serving as a beacon for ships in the dangerous waters off the Egyptian port city of Alexandria, now called El Iskandarîya.

Constructed on the small island of Pharos between 285 and 247 B.C., the building was the world's tallest for many centuries. Its estimated height was 384 feet (117 meters)—equivalent to a modern 40-story building—though some people believe it was significantly taller.

The lighthouse was operated using fire at night and polished bronze mirrors that reflected the sun during the day. It's said the light could be seen for more than 35 miles (50 kilometers) out to sea.

The huge structure towered over the Mediterranean coast for more than 1,500 years before being seriously damaged by earthquakes in A.D. 1303 and 1323.

This does not really fit my thematic attempt, but like The Great Sphinx and Venus de Milo, I cannot continue to pass on the opportunity to get one of the seven ancient wonders.

30.13 - Pharos, The Lighthouse of Alexandra, Egypt - Building / Structure

Artists sketch

The Lighthouse of Alexandra, Egypt

The lighthouse was the only ancient wonder that had a practical use, serving as a beacon for ships in the dangerous waters off the Egyptian port city of Alexandria, now called El Iskandarîya.

Constructed on the small island of Pharos between 285 and 247 B.C., the building was the world's tallest for many centuries. Its estimated height was 384 feet (117 meters)—equivalent to a modern 40-story building—though some people believe it was significantly taller.

The lighthouse was operated using fire at night and polished bronze mirrors that reflected the sun during the day. It's said the light could be seen for more than 35 miles (50 kilometers) out to sea.

The huge structure towered over the Mediterranean coast for more than 1,500 years before being seriously damaged by earthquakes in A.D. 1303 and 1323.
:shrug: I knew I should've taken this or Petra. Damn you!

El Floppo said:

30.10 Invention, Steel
steel of the draft. nice picl

Leaving in about 10 minutes. Experimenting with a new way to commute that I hope will be less painful, so I don't know how long I'll be. If I come up and don't appear within 10 minutes, please skip me.

SKIPPED

30.09. Mister CIA - (autoskip)

30.14. BobbyLayne (autoskip if not around) - Around and OTC until :53

30.15. Abrantes - On Deck

30.18. Postradamus

30.19. Rodg12

30.20. krista4

Users who are viewing this thread