What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official NY METS 2014 Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Lost in how good Cespedes has been (and he's been awesome) has been the fact that Conforto has been absolutely fantastic. It's a small sample size, but a 271/366/500 triple-slash is fantastic, and his plate discipline is as good as advertised. Not to mention that he's significantly better than Cuddyer defensively.

Lost in how good Cespedes has been (and he's been awesome) has been the fact that Conforto has been absolutely fantastic. It's a small sample size, but a 271/366/500 triple-slash is fantastic, and his plate discipline is as good as advertised. Not to mention that he's significantly better than Cuddyer defensively.
Yea, very pleased with Conforto and now that people are actually hitting there is very little pressure for on him.

Remember when he was brought up and was going to hopefully be a jolt to the offense??

Speaking of Cespedes

What kind of contract do you all think he gets on the open market?

Do you think the Wilpon's have any REAL intention on signing him or will it be Jose Reyes v2.0

Speaking of Cespedes

Do you think the Wilpon's have any REAL intention on signing him or will it be Jose Reyes v2.0
while I doubt we resign him, if we can get to october and make some noise, they may see an immediate return on the investment as you can bet ratings and revenues have gone up and should continue into next year.

our only hope

Speaking of Cespedes

Speaking of Cespedes

I say 6/130. And there's almost no way he's a Met next year. Unless he resigns with the Mets before he talks to any other team, then the Mets can't negotiate with him, due to a weird clause in his contract. That means his agent would have to decide it would be a good idea not to hear what any of the other 29 teams have to say, and I can't see that happening.

A 5-0 deficit? No problem! Magic Number is down to 30, and they get to play the Phillies Six. More. Times! This is so fun.

Gee seems like an enormous #####. All else equal, I'd rather keep him out of the clubhouse.
Yeah, and there's no need for him. As we've already seen, Verrett can do a more than adequate job of starting if the need arises, and Matz will be back next week.
Really like him. If he can work as the 7th inning guy, that would be enormous.

Speaking of Cespedes

Speaking of Cespedes

I say 6/130. And there's almost no way he's a Met next year. Unless he resigns with the Mets before he talks to any other team, then the Mets can't negotiate with him, due to a weird clause in his contract. That means his agent would have to decide it would be a good idea not to hear what any of the other 29 teams have to say, and I can't see that happening.
And for that reason, I think the Mets would need to offer him something more like 6/150. Agree that it is unlikely to happen.

WELCOME BACK 5
Do you think we can get an updated title?

We deserve it!
No way do you change anything now!

Killing me to not go to some of these games! Not as much as divirticulitis would have been killing me, and is, figuratively doing so anyway.

This weekend just looks to be beautiful out - and I can get to about my front stoop and that's it. <_<

That said, I'll take watching this run on TV anytime. LGM!!!

Killing me to not go to some of these games! Not as much as divirticulitis would have been killing me, and is, figuratively doing so anyway.

This weekend just looks to be beautiful out - and I can get to about my front stoop and that's it. <_<

When will you be at 100%?

Able to work?

Able to work?
Not quite sure. Doc apt on Monday to hopefully get this tube removed from my gut and maybe work Tues or Wed? Limited schedule.

Next few weeks I need to generally take it a little easy (not exactly my thing) and a couple months from now when this episode settles, in for colon surgery, assuming / hoping there is not another flareup that would require immediate emergency and more invasive surgery (that I narrowly avoided Thursday night)

Honest, I'd give part of my colon for a Mets World Championship. I'm willing to uphold my end of the bargain....

Able to work?
Not quite sure. Doc apt on Monday to hopefully get this tube removed from my gut and maybe work Tues or Wed? Limited schedule.

Next few weeks I need to generally take it a little easy (not exactly my thing) and a couple months from now when this episode settles, in for colon surgery, assuming / hoping there is not another flareup that would require immediate emergency and more invasive surgery (that I narrowly avoided Thursday night)

Honest, I'd give part of my colon for a Mets World Championship. I'm willing to uphold my end of the bargain....
hang in there

Just make sure you schedule the surgery around the Mets world series parade in Nov :excited:

Span out for the season.

Another blow for the Nats.
When Gary announced that last night, and then went on to describe two other guys who were knocked out of their game, it gave me flashbacks to our guys earlier in the season.
Not that it matters much with 6.5 games separating the teams and the Mets playing this well, but the real impact will be known in an hour or two when we find out of Taylor (one of the other two injured guys last night) will be back today or some time soon. If both he and Span are out the Nats lose their two best defensive OFs and would be so thin that your old friend Matt denDekker would probably get regular time for the rest of the season. They'll take a loss on offense too, so a downgrade on both sides. Basically they'll be dead in the water. If Taylor is OK they can bear the loss- although again I don't know how much it will matter to you all beyond your relative stress levels over the next month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Span out for the season.

When Gary announced that last night, and then went on to describe two other guys who were knocked out of their game, it gave me flashbacks to our guys earlier in the season.
Not that it matters much with 6.5 games separating the teams and the Mets playing this well, but the real impact will be known in an hour or two when we find out of Taylor (one of the other two injured guys last night) will be back today or some time soon. If both he and Span are out the Nats lose their two best defensive OFs and would be so thin that your old friend Matt denDekker would probably get regular time for the rest of the season. They'll take a loss on offense too, so a downgrade on both sides. Basically they'll be dead in the water. If Taylor is OK they can bear the loss- although again I don't know how much it will matter to you all beyond your relative stress levels over the next month.
Apparently it's only a few games out for Taylor, and MDD will be up briefly.

Span out for the season.

Might be enough to put it out of reach for good. The Nats do have their big three going this weekend at home against the Marlins, but then we go to St Louis next week. That one could get ugly if we still don't have Taylor.

Anyway, hope you all enjoy the ride. Feels a lot like our 2012, with you all as the upstart surprise with young pitching, and us in the Braves role just hoping the upstart comes back to earth somehow. I suspect September will play out similarly- maybe a mild scare or two for you all but nothing too serious. Hopefully that doesn't mean we're looking at a complete rebuild and move to the suburbs down the line.

F' the Nats. We WIN this on our own.

Just keep doing what we're doing and it will continue to take care of itself.

Span out for the season.

Might be enough to put it out of reach for good. The Nats do have their big three going this weekend at home against the Marlins, but then we go to St Louis next week. That one could get ugly if we still don't have Taylor.

Anyway, hope you all enjoy the ride. Feels a lot like our 2012, with you all as the upstart surprise with young pitching, and us in the Braves role just hoping the upstart comes back to earth somehow. I suspect September will play out similarly- maybe a mild scare or two for you all but nothing too serious. Hopefully that doesn't mean we're looking at a complete rebuild and move to the suburbs down the line.
I think for the most part (and especially the fans in this thread) everyone is very appreciative of this team because we've all been through the horrific past few years. As for the Nats, I don't expect them to go away in the future. Replacing Desmond with Turner might be an upgrade, Ross should be able to fill a rotation spot, and I'm not sure if Giolito will be ready next year, but if he's not, Roark can certainly start and not embarrass himself. I think the biggest key for the Nats will be replacing Williams with a sentient being. I live in DC so I'd say I've seen about half of the Nats games, and MW just makes a steady stream of low-level, dumb decisions. Not to mention he seems to like to antagonize Harper.

Was thinking of going to the game tonight and taking my ten year old son. Cheapest seats were $50 upper deck corner OF. Forget it. I'll go to the next home stand. The two for one McDonald's code doesn't work for his weekend.

NYCelt said:
Was thinking of going to the game tonight and taking my ten year old son. Cheapest seats were $50 upper deck corner OF. Forget it. I'll go to the next home stand. The two for one McDonald's code doesn't work for his weekend.
Where did you check for tix?

Here's my only problem with last night's game. You take Harvey out after 6 innings, which I'm totally fine with, because you want to conserve innings. You have Clippard and Familia for the 8th and 9th, which means you only really need to worry about one inning. TC didn't want to use Robles or Gilmartin, which means Verrett and O'Flaherty are left; that's two pitchers to get three outs. The leadoff hitter was David Ortiz. If you don't trust O'Flaherty to get that one guy out, and I don't blame TC for not trusting him, then there is NO reason to have him on the roster. He's dead weight as the rest of the bullpen gets overworked and he contributes nothing.

Here's my only problem with last night's game. You take Harvey out after 6 innings, which I'm totally fine with, because you want to conserve innings. You have Clippard and Familia for the 8th and 9th, which means you only really need to worry about one inning. TC didn't want to use Robles or Gilmartin, which means Verrett and O'Flaherty are left; that's two pitchers to get three outs. The leadoff hitter was David Ortiz. If you don't trust O'Flaherty to get that one guy out, and I don't blame TC for not trusting him, then there is NO reason to have him on the roster. He's dead weight as the rest of the bullpen gets overworked and he contributes nothing.
Terry is taking to long view, which is appropriate imo (albeit scary considering, well, Mets). My guess is he wants to try and get the guy confidence so he can play that essential role. Put him in a couple times when it's not score sensitive.

At least that's my guess. And I can understand it, but damn, we still need to get every win we can.

Thank god the game is at 4 today, sorta perfect timing for me STILL stuck at home.

Goin' on 10 days of either the Hosp. or Home (I've made it to my front stoop a few times just to remember outside exists) and its getting really stir crazy.

No wonder people get hooked on painkillers - not because the painkillers are so good, but the reason you need them means you can't do ####, and it's SO BORING.

So, Met's better win this one today. I was all good and cheery until that stupid inside the park (that would have been an outside the park, anyway)

I know everyone loves him, and it's tough for Murph to jump around all these positions, but it's getting me irritated to see his many mental flubs on basic IF principles, not just 1B or 2B (too slow and lackadaisical, not freakin going home, there?). These are tough mental errors to deal with.

I know everyone loves him, and it's tough for Murph to jump around all these positions, but it's getting me irritated to see his many mental flubs on basic IF principles, not just 1B or 2B (too slow and lackadaisical, not freakin going home, there?). These are tough mental errors to deal with.
Yea.

This just screams of a potentially huge blunder in the playoffs that will be hard to forget

@Ken_Rosenthal: Confirming: Addison Reed from #DBacks to #Mets, pending review of medicals. First reported: @AdamRubinESPN

@Ken_Rosenthal: Addison Reed since All-Star break: 1.65 ERA, .627 opponents OPS in 16 1/3 innings.

Annoying loss today, but it can largely be chalked up to not hitting with runners in scoring position. That will fix itself. The Reed trade seems fine; low risk, and maybe he can get some guys out.

RUSF18 said:
@Ken_Rosenthal: Confirming: Addison Reed from #DBacks to #Mets, pending review of medicals. First reported: @AdamRubinESPN

@Ken_Rosenthal: Addison Reed since All-Star break: 1.65 ERA, .627 opponents OPS in 16 1/3 innings.
Thats the type of move I was talking about a little ways back, assuming an overpriced star didnt slip waivers

Solid win. Just wouldn't fold and we needed to get some positive momentum going with the Nats reviving a pulse.

Users who are viewing this thread