What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pearl Jam Thread*** (2 Viewers)

less than 24 hrs :thumbdown:
GREAT F'ING POSTI cannot wait until tomorrow.
:hifve:I'll be in line around noon or so
:eek:Seriously? So they are handing out wristbands at 4, right?
Not sure...but I've had front row dead center in an arena show before. Only one way to trump that.
Gotcha, so you are just going to get in line and stay. Not sure what time I'm going to get there yet. You are going to bake tomorrow though, mid nineties around noon I'm sure. Good luck TF. :hifive:

less than 24 hrs :thumbup:
Not sure...but I've had front row dead center in an arena show before. Only one way to trump that.
Gotcha, so you are just going to get in line and stay. Not sure what time I'm going to get there yet. You are going to bake tomorrow though, mid nineties around noon I'm sure. Good luck TF. :)
Meh, I'l be fine

less than 24 hrs :thumbup:
Gotcha, so you are just going to get in line and stay. Not sure what time I'm going to get there yet. You are going to bake tomorrow though, mid nineties around noon I'm sure. Good luck TF. :)
Meh, I'l be fine
:D

I'll just walk up and down the line yelling out "TU" and "TF" :thumbup:
:popcorn:
Seriously though, any of you guys meeting up before/after the show?
Afterwards, no particular plans...
If you guys are interested, there's a little neighborhood corner bar, one of my favorites in the city when I lived there, about a mile's cab ride away. 724 W Wrightwood - the Burwood Tap. A good place to throw back a few Guinness and shoot the ####. And if it gets boring, you can walk around the corner to the blues club, Kingston Mines. If you want great drunk food at 2am, get a super steak burrito from LaBamba across the street.Take it or leave it. Hope a good time is had by all.

FYI, Vic Theatre is about a 5 min walk from the Belmont Stop (subway)

http://gochicago.about.com/gi/dynamic/offs...s.html%23outlet
actually, it's like a 30 second walk. the Vic is right at the corner of Belmont and Sheffield, which is where the train stop is as well.have fun. Vic will be a great place to see the show.

some good bars right around there too:

a very short walk south on Sheffield will take you to:

Matilda's (has pool tables)

Vaughn's (pub)

Kirkwood (good bar food, nice sports bar type place)

a short walk north will take you to:

Sheffields (has an outdoor beer garden)

Trader Todds (this place is owned by the guy who played Ogre in Revenge of the Nerds)

a little bit further and you're in wrigleyville with about 20 different bars to choose from

can get a pretty good slice of pizza at Pompeii, which is a block south or so. can get diner type food late night at Clarke's on Belmont right near the train stop (they sell booze too).

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, Vic Theatre is about a 5 min walk from the Belmont Stop (subway)

http://gochicago.about.com/gi/dynamic/offs...s.html%23outlet
actually, it's like a 30 second walk. the Vic is right at the corner of Belmont and Sheffield, which is where the train stop is as well.have fun. Vic will be a great place to see the show.

some good bars right around there too:

a very short walk south on Sheffield will take you to:

Matilda's (has pool tables)

Vaughn's (pub)

Kirkwood (good bar food, nice sports bar type place)

a short walk north will take you to:

Sheffields

Trader Todds (this place is owned by the guy who played Ogre in Revenge of the Nerds)

a little bit further and you're in wrigleyville with about 20 different bars to choose from

can get a pretty good slice of pizza at Pompeii, which is a block south or so.
I forgot all about Sheffields. I liked that place. Many a good time had there.

I don't think I can come back in here until next week. This is uber depressing.

You guys better rock the house! :pickle:

currently sitting in line. I'd say I'm about 100th or so in line, but a lot of these people don't have tix but have a lot of signs begging for tix

Per the PJ Message Pit:

Pre Set List:Trouble, Improv (It's Some Chicago Stuff), Dead Man, Picture in a FrameSet List:All or None, Education, Sad, In Hiding, Parachutes, I'm Open, Wishlist, Down, Undone, Off He Goes, Hard To Imagine, God's Dice, World Wide Suicide, Rats, Gone, Why Go, Ed Solo set (not sure which song...will get this confirmed)Encore:Inside Job, Lowlight, Reign O'er Me, Black Diamond (Kiss song (sung by Matt)), Comatose, Sonic Reducer, Indifference with Ben Harper
:eek:Interesting set to say the least. There is already a clip up on youtube--must've been an awesome show. I'm sure the FBGs in attendance ( :ptts: ) will give us a detailed recap.

We'll have the full set list tomorrow, I'm sure, but:

Opened with All or None, then Education

Also (in no particular order):

Hard to Imagine

Down

Sad

God's Dice

RATS!

Love Reign O'er Me (I cannot descirbe this, it literally gave me goosebumps, I told TF that I think it was the single greatest live song I have ever seen performed by anyone)

Sonic Reducer!

They covered Kiss' Black Diamond!

Ben Harper on Indifference

An amazing Why Go

Low Light

Other stuff i cannot remember

One of the top 5 experiences of my entrire life

Plus, TF is good people!

:cry:

Have a wake up call in 3.5 hours, but wow, that was f'n increadible. It's like they sat down and said, lets just pull a bunch of random #### out of their asses. Love Reign Oer Me was the highlight IMO.

Also note In Hiding was left off the post above. I'm sure some others too....but I need to get some sleep.

so those 3.5 hours of sleep did nothing for me at all. right now I'm the 2nd person on the 'a' line for my swa flight back home thru houston. I better get a pillow/blanket.

here's the full setlist. ill post a full review later. big ups to TU for coming thru w the tix! solid guy as well.

Pre Set List: Trouble, Chicago Cubs song, Dead Man, Picture in a Frame

Set List: All or None, Education, Sad, In Hiding, Parachutes, I'm Open, Wishlist, Down, Undone, Off He Goes, Hard To Imagine, God's Dice, World Wide Suicide, Rats, Gone, Why Go

Encore 1: No More, Inside Job, Lowlight, Love Reign O'er Me

Encore 2: Black Diamond (a Kiss song sung by Matt and was dedicated to "Keith" a roadie for Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Neil Young and Ben Harper), Comatose, Sonic Reducer

Encore 3: Indifference with Ben Harper

Very interesting and unique I'd say. Sounds perfect for the atmosphere. Can't wait to talk to my buddy that was there, I think he tried calling me last night during the gig. Safe to say it just wouldn't have been the same if it were a normal show at the United Center or Q or MSG, right?

so i met stone's mom, dad and pimply teen-aged daughter before the show. i met another member of the band's wife and daughter. several other folks connected with the band. everyone was very nice and cool.

i thought it was a great show. i didn't know a single song but felt they brought "it" to every single single. moreover, when they decided to tear it up on some songs - like "world wide suicide" - they really tore it up. the whole vibe -the band, the audience and the venue - was absolutely amazing. big thumb's up.

currently sitting in line. I'd say I'm about 100th or so in line, but a lot of these people don't have tix but have a lot of signs begging for tix
Just realized yesterday that they were planning a few blocks from my house. Probably a good idea that I didn't try to scalp/beg.

so i met stone's mom, dad and pimply teen-aged daughter before the show. i met another member of the band's wife and daughter. several other folks connected with the band. everyone was very nice and cool.

i thought it was a great show. i didn't know a single song but felt they brought "it" to every single single. moreover, when they decided to tear it up on some songs - like "world wide suicide" - they really tore it up. the whole vibe -the band, the audience and the venue - was absolutely amazing. big thumb's up.
Really?

Really?
i stopped paying attention to PJ around 1991. i had other things on my mind...

Really?
:eek: I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. What some of us would have given......

Really?
:goodposting: I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. What some of us would have given......
i get that. i actually saw a sign that read "i will give my soul & money for 1 tix"...

Really?
Yet you were at this show?I don't care what urbanhack says, I'm pretty sure I hate you.

So here’s a shot at a full fledged review. I’m on a shotty airport connection right now, so I’m typing into word and posting as I go.

I fly into Midway with a backpack and a bag chair on my arm. I decided to use my Hilton points and get a room by the airport so I could get some good sleep before my 6:30 flight the next day as apposed to sleeping in the airport (my original plan). So anyway, I drop my bag off and hop on the train to go down to the show.

I arrive at the venue around 12:00 and I took my seat about the 100th place in line. I saw tons of people with signs ranging from “Fan Club member needs ticket” to “will ______ for ticket.” The guy next to me was a lawyer from Chicago, and he gives me the lowdown on the venue and where he plans on trying to stand (which came in handy later).

So at this point, as I’ve built some trust with this guy I ask him if he’ll watch my spot while I go grab a sammich, and he obliged. Get back in line and just start chatting with some others around me and the rumors start to fly about who will open (Ben Harper, Mike Watt, etc.)

The lawyer gets a call on his phone and said he has confirmation that Eddie will in fact open and that the venue secured a 1:00 am curfew :football: At this point I started to get pumped. TU touched down around 2:00 and told me he was heading to the hotel and then would meet me at the venue. At this point things were getting sketchy in line b/c the venue and the fan club were walking around telling people all sorts of stuff about how they were going to disburse the wristbands, and that it might happen before 4:00, etc. So I called TU to let him know that he might want to stop here bfore the hotel just so we’ll get the wristbands…and I’ll hold our place in line so he can drop his stuff off. He obliges and arrives around 3:00……we end up getting our wristbands around 4:30 and then he takes off for the hotel and I continue to chill in line with the rest of the fans.

For anyone who is familiar with PJ shows, you know that the posters are a hot commodity. So b/w the 4 of us (me, TU, lawyer guy, and his friend) we develop a strategy that we’ll head straight for the front row of the 2nd level and then go 2x2 to get the posters. Doors open around 7:15 and we do just that. To set the scene, the Vic is a very small theatre…the type of place you would see a play. Directly in front of the stage is a lowered pit that goes about 10 rows deep. Following that is a slightly raise level of about 10 rows deep and then another one. We ended up on the front row of that 2nd level against the railing. Ended up being a prime spot b/c the place was so packed. If you weren’t in one of the front rows of any of the levels, you were going to sweat your nuts off the entire night. So TU and lawyer went to get the poster and people started to file in behind us, getting pissed when we said we were saving the sots. Needless to say we didn’t leave to get our posters at that time.

During this time we get the drunkest, most annoying douchebags that you could ever imagine being behind you at a concert. Just typical, “I’m drunk and need to let everyone around us know it.” Some of these guys were Chicago guys and some were NYC so there was lots of J.E.T.S chants and cubs chants.

So Ed comes out around 8:15 or so and plays Trouble (Cat Stevens cover). He stops after the first verse b/c everyone was taking pictures, so he kindly asks us to stop. Ends fun finishing the song strongly. He then starts talking about the cubs and this solicits some boos and cheers. Of course the loudest came from the DBs behind us. Ed states that he wrote “ A song about the cubs that you can sing while drinking beer……(cheers & boos)….so even if you don’t like the cubs, I think everyone here enjoys beer.”

Guy behind us yells “I’m drinking beer right now!” which was pretty funny in that “I can’t believe he would actually say that” sort of thing.

Ed closes his set with Dead Man and Pictures in a Frame. Solid stuff.

More to come later

So PJ comes n around 9 or so and kicks it off with All or None, which was a really solid opener – lots of crowd singalong setting the stage for a good night. After the song TU tells me “I’ve got a feeling we’re going to see a lot of weird stuff “ or sometng to that effet.

Yet you were at this show?I don't care what urbanhack says, I'm pretty sure I hate you.
yeah, i can see that. but take a look at any music thread/draft where i have posted. you'll see where my tastes run. that doesn't mean i don't go to those kind of shows exclusively. if i didn't think this show would have been kick ### then i wouldn't have bothered. it lived up to the billing too. i have the good fortune to have connections to the band which got me VIP access.by the way, there was a lot of talent on display at the show and i don't mean the just the band...

On cue, they bust into Education, which they rarely play live. Sad (from Lost Dogs) is next which was really kick ###. Mike is just tearing it up on the first 3 songs btw, just looks like a kid in a candy store, jumping around going crazy on the solos.

They play the first notes to “In Hiding” and everyone goes nuts. This is a great song to singalong to, and the crowd is really pumped up now. They play solidly through Parachutes, I'm Open and Wishlist before playing B-sides Down & Undone, which really got the crowd going, followed by Off He Goes which was a nice tempo change.

Then came the opening notes to “Hard to Imagine” :goodposting: One of the rarest songs PJ has, only played live less than 5x IIRC. Exchanged the ‘Things were different then, always different then….’ Line with the crowd which was absolutely increadible.

God’s Dice and a kick ### Worldwide Suicide followed……then the opening notes to “Rats” and the place when nuts (another rarity live). Gone is excellent live (first time I’ve heard this) and after that, Eddie audibiles by running to each band member and mouthing the words “Why Go”. Which closed that first set.

At this point, everyone kinda looks around in awe of that se and wondering what they will come up with next. Ed comes out to play “No More” the war song that he’s been playing lately. Then came Inside Job, which is my fav song off of Avocado, so I was pumped. Lowlight was great as well…….but then came the highlight of the show.

Boom started playing a few notes and TU looks at me and goes “Reign Oer Me” :football: Well Boom just nails the opening piano intro which literally gave me goosebumps. PJs cover of that song might be the single best cover I have ever heard; which says a lot b/c PJ covers a lot of songs very well. The way Ed hits that screech is just sick.

yeah, i can see that. but take a look at any music thread/draft where i have posted. you'll see where my tastes run. that doesn't mean i don't go to those kind of shows exclusively. if i didn't think this show would have been kick ### then i wouldn't have bothered. it lived up to the billing too. i have the good fortune to have connections to the band which got me VIP access.by the way, there was a lot of talent on display at the show and i don't mean the just the band...
I was j/k.I know how those kinds of things go at the smaller venues. I mentioned earlier that I saw STP at The Riv several years ago and a buddy and I caught Velvet Revolver at a place here in Phoenix that holds something along the lines of 1200 people. At both shows I'm pretty sure the women were actually the opening act. Definitely good times.

After a few minute break, they come out again and Ed starts telling a story about a friend of theirs who did some work with Soundgarden, “Uncle Neil” and now Ben Harper. They end up dedicated the song to them. Mike and Stone start to jam a little and nobody really knows what they’re playing. It’s clear that Matt is trying to sing something, but they can’t get the timing right. They end up stopping and Mike gets up and says something like “We’re trying to play a KISS song, give us a minute.” They end up getting it right and TU explains to me that Paul Staley (KISS Drummer) originally sang Black Diamond, that’s why Matt was singing.

A kick ### Comatose and Sonic Reducer follow.

After another break, Ed comes out and says they ran into a friend back stage….and proceds to introduce Ben Harper to play the best Indifference that I’ve ever heard.

All in all, an extremely solid show……which was truly built for the fans. I honestly expected them to play longer, but I wasn’t disappointed by any means.

After the show I ended up getting my poster, so I was happy. TU and I went to a bar around the corner and drank some $1 Bud Lights for about an hour or so before going home.

Also, I forgot to mention that Chuck Cecil stopped by while we were waiting in line before the show.

Great night :headbang:

Boom started playing a few notes and TU looks at me and goes “Reign Oer Me” :headbang: Well Boom just nails the opening piano intro which literally gave me goosebumps. PJs cover of that song might be the single best cover I have ever heard; which says a lot b/c PJ covers a lot of songs very well. The way Ed hits that screech is just sick.
scuttlebutt among the vip section was that boom was having a hard time with the song before this show. they were touring in europe and he was mucking it up a bit apparently.eta: great write up. nicely framed description of the show...

Users who are viewing this thread