What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official WIS XIV Format Discussion & Signup Thread (1 Viewer)

I'd be more game for short era than Rookie. Not sure which era though. Modern would be more my bag, but I could get on board with an older era as well.

RnR said:
something in the 50's?
One of the issues with the 50s is avoiding the huge Mantle and Williams seasons so the early drafters don't have a huge advantage. This might be better with a 12 or 16 team WIS league since this era was pre-expansion. We could also just blacklist the outliers although we haven't done this in the past.64-67 is another possibility. Lots of pitching to go around so runs would be scarce. But I vaguely remember doing a league like this in the past.

RnR said:
something in the 50's?
One of the issues with the 50s is avoiding the huge Mantle and Williams seasons so the early drafters don't have a huge advantage. This might be better with a 12 or 16 team WIS league since this era was pre-expansion. We could also just blacklist the outliers although we haven't done this in the past.64-67 is another possibility. Lots of pitching to go around so runs would be scarce. But I vaguely remember doing a league like this in the past.
Pretty sure we did a 62-67 league with the idea of missing the '61 and '68 seasons.That's my main problem with a short-era league, we've covered most of the eras. The All-Rookie league is an "all-time" theme that would bring almost exclusively seasons that we have yet to use. Unfortunately, it seems I'm the only one that feels that way.ETA: The other thing I like about the rookie league is that not a single one of us has done a lick of research on that type of league. Should be a fun exercise, and probably one that levels the playing field for the newbies a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brady Marino said:
Eephus said:
Brady Marino said:
What about a modern era league or a strictly deadball league?
42-45 isn't modern enough? :tfp:A short-era deadball league might be fun
Have we done a Pre-Ruth era league? I'm talking about post 1900-1919ish.
Sim VII was an 1893-1919 league. There were many singles and many errors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brady Marino said:
Eephus said:
Brady Marino said:
42-45 isn't modern enough? :goodposting:A short-era deadball league might be fun
Ok, pass.Have we done 1920's before? 1930's?

Brady Marino said:
Eephus said:
Brady Marino said:
42-45 isn't modern enough? :thumbup:A short-era deadball league might be fun
Ok, pass.Have we done 1920's before? 1930's?
I'm not saying the deadball era sim was bad. I learned a lot about obscure old ballplayers and a better understanding of what the game was like back then. A lot of people hear "deadball" and think there would be a lot of 2-0 games but that's far from the truth. The real ace pitchers were very tough.

Tell me more about the WWII era. I'm interested.
Axis vs. AlliesThe Browns won the pennant.There's one obvious outlier season on offense (not naming names but he has a frozen head). We could either blacklist him or just give whoever gets 1.01 a big advantage.There are only 64 team seasons to draft from. This isn't enough for a 24 team league but definitely enough for 12. My guess is there was quite a bit of turnover from year to year as players went off to war but I haven't researched this. The yearly leader boards on B-R have some second tier WIS cookies but are mostly unfamiliar names.

Tell me more about the WWII era. I'm interested.
Axis vs. AlliesThe Browns won the pennant.

There's one obvious outlier season on offense (not naming names but he has a frozen head). We could either blacklist him or just give whoever gets 1.01 a big advantage.

There are only 64 team seasons to draft from. This isn't enough for a 24 team league but definitely enough for 12. My guess is there was quite a bit of turnover from year to year as players went off to war but I haven't researched this. The yearly leader boards on B-R have some second tier WIS cookies but are mostly unfamiliar names.
I like it. Let's black list him and get started on logistics. We'll be posting WWII propaganda like THIS in no time!

Think we can squeeze 16 teams out of that era? I think we have more than 12 peeps that are interested.

Didn't we do a WWII era already? I know we did one that included that era maybe a 1939-1960 one or something? Pretty ####ty time in baseball history but I'm in for it.

Doctor Detroit said:
Didn't we do a WWII era already? I know we did one that included that era maybe a 1939-1960 one or something? Pretty ####ty time in baseball history but I'm in for it.
We did a long era draft (1920-45?) that included these years but since it was a pretty ####ty time in baseball history, not a lot of WWII era players played major roles.

Does the WWII era start when Canada joined the war, or 2 years later when the Americans did :goodposting:
Serious question because Americans don't study Canadian history, was there any national debate about entering the war or did they automatically get sucked in because they were a member of the Commonwealth?

Does the WWII era start when Canada joined the war, or 2 years later when the Americans did :thumbup:
Serious question because Americans don't study Canadian history, was there any national debate about entering the war or did they automatically get sucked in because they were a member of the Commonwealth?
Britain declared war and "appealed" to Canada, and the other commonwealth countries to join them. At the time, it would have bad diplomatically not to join with the Brits. A week after Britain declared war, it came out that there were Canadians on one of the oceanliners that was torpedoed by German U-boats. Canada declared war against Germany independently from Britain the next day (one week after Britain had declared war). I'm surprised Germany didn't just surrender then, the Canadian army is lengendary for its ferocity :popcorn:

Does the WWII era start when Canada joined the war, or 2 years later when the Americans did :boxing:
Britain declared war and "appealed" to Canada, and the other commonwealth countries to join them. At the time, it would have bad diplomatically not to join with the Brits. A week after Britain declared war, it came out that there were Canadians on one of the oceanliners that was torpedoed by German U-boats. Canada declared war against Germany independently from Britain the next day (one week after Britain had declared war). I'm surprised Germany didn't just surrender then, the Canadian army is lengendary for its ferocity :unsure:
Juno Beach :)

That's my main problem with a short-era league, we've covered most of the eras. The All-Rookie league is an "all-time" theme that would bring almost exclusively seasons that we have yet to use. Unfortunately, it seems I'm the only one that feels that way.ETA: The other thing I like about the rookie league is that not a single one of us has done a lick of research on that type of league. Should be a fun exercise, and probably one that levels the playing field for the newbies a bit.
:shrug: These are good arguments, and I now back you up on this idea.

That's my main problem with a short-era league, we've covered most of the eras. The All-Rookie league is an "all-time" theme that would bring almost exclusively seasons that we have yet to use. Unfortunately, it seems I'm the only one that feels that way.ETA: The other thing I like about the rookie league is that not a single one of us has done a lick of research on that type of league. Should be a fun exercise, and probably one that levels the playing field for the newbies a bit.
:ptts: These are good arguments, and I now back you up on this idea.
How does the WIS draft center define rookie?

Eephus said:
:goodposting:A couple of thoughts.a) in Excel, if I have the raw data set from WIS, I can easily generate a list of every player's earliest season available in the Draft Center.b) However, we may want to impose our own rookie minimums to change what counts as the first season (WIS already has its own minimums). For instance, we could come up with our own arbitrary floor for PA and IP. That list would still be no problem to generate a list in Excel, because I could first just throw out all non-qualifying seasons and then apply the earliest-season scheme.

Eephus said:
:goodposting:A couple of thoughts.a) in Excel, if I have the raw data set from WIS, I can easily generate a list of every player's earliest season available in the Draft Center.b) However, we may want to impose our own rookie minimums to change what counts as the first season (WIS already has its own minimums). For instance, we could come up with our own arbitrary floor for PA and IP. That list would still be no problem to generate a list in Excel, because I could first just throw out all non-qualifying seasons and then apply the earliest-season scheme.
I'd rather stick with the Draft Center

I can not believe how this has blown up.

Ahh, the good ole days of SIM I when Willie Mays in the first round was a good choice. You guys really need to go to work for What If Sports or at least make them read all of these threads.

... if we are restricted to the Draft Center, then the all-rookie draft is a non-starter. Unless there is a way to sort by first year or something.
Yes, you can sort by "first", "last", or "first/last" seasons in the draft center.
At first glance, there aren't many offensive outliers and surprisingly good SP depth. I could support this, if for no other reason that we'd use Babe Ruth as a pitcher for the first time in FBG/BBT WIS history.

... if we are restricted to the Draft Center, then the all-rookie draft is a non-starter. Unless there is a way to sort by first year or something.
Yes, you can sort by "first", "last", or "first/last" seasons in the draft center.
At first glance, there aren't many offensive outliers and surprisingly good SP depth. I could support this, if for no other reason that we'd use Babe Ruth as a pitcher for the first time in FBG/BBT WIS history.
I can get behind this, actually.

Anyone have a huge problem with a 16-team "First year" league? We can get started soon now that the season is over. Drafting through the post-season would be nice. Aim for the league to fire up right after the World Series.

Is anyone actually committed to heading up this version?

Ok I'll play.

You guys took long enough getting started that I've figured out when/how to slack off enough at work to draft, which was my initial concern because I was at a brand new job when this thread was started.

Users who are viewing this thread