What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (1 Viewer)

it's not everytime but when the younguns say "you're fine" after you drop and "excuse me" or "sorry".... accidentally bumped into a girl reaching for a napkin at starbucks, "oh, so sorry about that" ... "you're fine". Sometimes it doesn't bother me and other times it feels snarky :lol:
My daughter does this one. Her and family live several hours away. Son-in-law is a military officer and even when he's in town he's gone a lot (12 hours a day) for work so I don't want to take away from their together time.

Me: hey, thinking about coming to visit but I don't want to take away from your guy's together time.
Her: you're fine.
:cautious:

it's not everytime but when the younguns say "you're fine" after you drop and "excuse me" or "sorry".... accidentally bumped into a girl reaching for a napkin at starbucks, "oh, so sorry about that" ... "you're fine". Sometimes it doesn't bother me and other times it feels snarky :lol:
My daughter does this one. Her and family live several hours away. Son-in-law is a military officer and even when he's in town he's gone a lot (12 hours a day) for work so I don't want to take away from their together time.

Me: hey, thinking about coming to visit but I don't want to take away from your guy's together time.
That's just confusing.

That's just confusing.
For sure. Usually followed something like this:

Me: :confused:
Her: you know my door is always open

She likes when I visit though because she usually has a list of projects for me. :D

"Right?" is the new "like". It's phrased as a question, but the speaker never waits for a response, so why say it at the end of every sentence?
I am often in the next room when my wife is working from home, and I overhear some small pieces of meetings. There's one coworker I can always pick out because all I hear is, "Right? Blah blah blah, right? Blah blah blah blah, right? Blah blah right blah blah right?"

Then the other day I think she broke. Not gonna lie :wink: , this was word for word something she said: "Like, I just think, right? that's the way it should, like, happen right? like right? like..." Someone else finally jumped in at that point.

The thing is, I mentioned it to my wife later and she said she hadn't really noticed. I guess I chalk that up to her thinking about the ideas that were being shared in the meeting while I just heard the words being used at the time.

"Right?" is the new "like". It's phrased as a question, but the speaker never waits for a response, so why say it at the end of every sentence?
I am often in the next room when my wife is working from home, and I overhear some small pieces of meetings. There's one coworker I can always pick out because all I hear is, "Right? Blah blah blah, right? Blah blah blah blah, right? Blah blah right blah blah right?"

Then the other day I think she broke. Not gonna lie :wink: , this was word for word something she said: "Like, I just think, right? that's the way it should, like, happen right? like right? like..." Someone else finally jumped in at that point.

The thing is, I mentioned it to my wife later and she said she hadn't really noticed. I guess I chalk that up to her thinking about the ideas that were being shared in the meeting while I just heard the words being used at the time.
We lost the war on "like" long ago. We will lose the war on "right". Neither of these hills is worth marital discord.

I'm growing tired of hearing people say "not gonna lie" as filler in sentences. I never noticed it much in years past but seems to be a trend. If you're speaking, I'm going to assume you're telling the truth :shrug:
Also “to tell you the truth” and “I’ll be honest with you” when I hear those phrases I immediately think what was everything you said before this?

We lost the war on "like" long ago. We will lose the war on "right". Neither of these hills is worth marital discord.
Oh, no marital discord on this one. Complaining together about other people is basically one of our couples activities.

Oh, no marital discord on this one. Complaining together about other people is basically one of our couples activities.
💯

"Wake me up when......."
"Get back to me when........"

That's an interesting one. As I usually see the "get back to me when..." in the context of "I know you think the thing that just happened is significant and an indication of the way the overall thing will go but I don't. I think that thing is just an outlier and I know how the thing will go and different from that one thing you're thinking".

In that case, it says a lot in a few words and I'm usually a fan of that.

"Wake me up when......."

That's an interesting one. As I usually see the "get back to me when..." in the context of "I know you think the thing that just happened is significant and an indication of the way the overall thing will go but I don't. I think that thing is just an outlier and I know how the thing will go and different from that one thing you're thinking".

We may be reading in different places.
I usually see it as hostile dismissal coupled with no substantial reply.
I'll make up an example:

Poster:
"Looks like the Israel-Iran slapfight-that-might-turn-into-a-war is staying at the slapfight level now.
[links to news story]
[Describes what happened and why it was perceived as being restrained]."

Reply:
"Get back to me when Israel ends the genocide."

"Wake me up when......."

We may be reading in different places.
I usually see it as hostile dismissal coupled with no substantial reply.
I'll make up an example:

Poster:
"Looks like the Israel-Iran slapfight-that-might-turn-into-a-war is staying at the slapfight level now.
[links to news story]
[Describes what happened and why it was perceived as being restrained]."

Reply:
"Get back to me when Israel ends the genocide."

Sure. Like most things, I'm sure people use it in a snarky way.

I try not to use it that way. But mostly as I said, I'm a fan of useful phrases than can say a good bit with a few words.

What's wrong with this?
It is a bit twee. Not as bad as a lot of the things mentioned here, though.
The shortened word is annoying, and the concept is also gross, imo (when used as a synonym for the equally carking swag).

OTOH, twee and carking are underutilized.

Where do you go to buy a t-shirt at a concert? The merch booth. This is the only scenario I use it in, but I use it often.

What's wrong with this?
It is a bit twee. Not as bad as a lot of the things mentioned here, though.
The shortened word is annoying, and the concept is also gross, imo (when used as a synonym for the equally carking swag).

OTOH, twee and carking are underutilized.

Where do you go to buy a t-shirt at a concert? The merch booth. This is the only scenario I use it in, but I use it often.
I haven’t purchased a concert t-shirt since I was in high school.:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread