What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (2 Viewers)

Watching MLB playoffs and think I've heard the term "sweeper" about 956,000 times. Which is about 955,990 too many. It's bad enough having to suffer through "cutter".

Using “like” as a filler word every fifth word spoken.
That's been a thing since the 60's. Ugh.
No it hasn’t. Never heard it in the 60s, 70, or 80s.
It sure was. I caught myself doing this in the 70's for about two weeks. Stomped that s*** out right quickly.
Never heard anyone doing this in the 70s and I graduated high school in 77. I could be wrong about the 80s however, thus the reason I brought up valley girl talk, which started in the 80s if memory serves.

definitely a thing in the 80s
I think the 80s was when valley girls might have started it.
Go back a few more years and report back
Nope, I grew up then, I would know. No one I knew talked like that in the 70s, high school or otherwise. Or at least not with enough frequency to be noticed, if at all. I often wonder how someone gets hired talking that way in an interview, but then it dawned on me that the person doing the interview is the same probably.

Last edited:
Nope, I grew up then, I would know. No one I knew talked like that in the 70s, high school or otherwise. Or at least not with enough frequency to be noticed, if at all. I often wonder how someone gets hired talking that way in an interview, but then it dawned on me that the person doing the interview is the same probably.
I also graduated high school in '77. Maybe it was more regional back then.

That’s what I’m thinking

Most people think the word “like” dates back to the 80s, as typified by the Frank Zappa song Valley Girl, in which his daughter, Moon Zappa, impersonates a California bimbo, ad-libbing that: “I, like, love going into, like, clothing stores and stuff, I, like, buy the neatest miniskirts and stuff. It’s, like, so bitchin.’”

It’s true that young women in the 1980s probably invented the quotative “like”, but they are far from the only group to use it now. And research suggests that the discourse particle “like”, the one that comes in like the midpoint of a sentence, is used more by men than women.

Most people think the word “like” dates back to the 80s, as typified by the Frank Zappa song Valley Girl, in which his daughter, Moon Zappa, impersonates a California bimbo, ad-libbing that: “I, like, love going into, like, clothing stores and stuff, I, like, buy the neatest miniskirts and stuff. It’s, like, so bitchin.’”

It’s true that young women in the 1980s probably invented the quotative “like”, but they are far from the only group to use it now. And research suggests that the discourse particle “like”, the one that comes in like the midpoint of a sentence, is used more by men than women.

attached a google search result on this whole use of "like" subject

though it appeared long ago - it became heavily used by the "Beat Generation" in the 50s ...

attached a google search result on this whole use of "like" subject

though it appeared long ago - it became heavily used by the "Beat Generation" in the 50s ...
I was born in 1959, so I can’t speak to the 50s or most of the 60s, but I never heard people talk like that in the 70s.

I was born in 1959, so I can’t speak to the 50s or most of the 60s, but I never heard people talk like that in the 70s.

so Johnny U is from the school of "it didn't happen to me so it didn't happen - **** them pinko books" - :D

jk - but give it up on this one though big guy

Class of '76 Rules!!!!!! :headbang:

so Johnny U is from the school of "it didn't happen to me so it didn't happen - **** them pinko books" - :D

jk - but give it up on this one though big guy

Class of '76 Rules!!!!!! :headbang:
I bet most over 62 agree with me that people didn’t use “like” in the 70s like they do now. If they did where you were it had to be regional.

I graduated in '70 and it was in use since at least the late 60's.

It sure was. I caught myself doing this in the 70's for about two weeks. Stomped that s*** out right quickly.
Never heard anyone doing this in the 70s and I graduated high school in 77. I could be wrong about the 80s however, thus the reason I brought up valley girl talk, which started in the 80s if memory serves.
I did. 70s, 80s... To infinity and beyond.

I can’t imagine saying “like” 76 times in a 4 minute conversation can possibly be good for a professional career.

In grad school, we used to have to present our architecture projects to juries of professionals, some of them pretty well known (to other architects at least)... Always on zero sleep.

My friend Jay presented his- beautiful, kick-*** project- but every other word was "like, um, you know" in his description. He finished, and the best known juror- Robert Stern- led off with "like... Um... You know... Like... ARE YOU DONE?" It went south from there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread