What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Geno Smith, SEA (1 Viewer)

Punch the guy who just outright indisputably stole 12 MILLION DOLLARS :)  
Nothing was stolen. This is exactly what Fitz is. That's why he's played for 6 teams, started games for each of them, and continues to bounce around. To think that he mysteriously transformed last season into this good QB was kind of silly. As a Bills fan I saw first hand good Fitz and bad Fitz. There was some good Fitz, then there was a big contract, then there was a lot of bad Fitz. A lot of times would do enough to keep you in the game, give you that glimmer of hope, then throw a late INT to lose the game. Sort of how the Jets missed the playoffs last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fitz out Geno in

Ryan Fitzpatrick benched by Jets

The New York Jets have benched quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and will start Geno Smith against the Baltimore Ravens in Week 7.

What It Means:

Fitzpatrick's 63.4 passer rating is the worst in the league, and his 11 interceptions are three more than notoriously reckless passers Brock Osweiler and Jameis Winston. It just hasn't worked out after Fitzpatrick held out deep into the summer for a one-year, $12 million deal.

Fitzpatrick is not only the worst by conventional measures, he also comes in at 31st in the league in Passing NEP per play among the 32 quarterbacks with at least 75 dropbacks this season. After adjusting for schedule, the Jets rank 26th in Passing Net Expected Points per play.

Rooting for him.  Think there's a chance he does really well.

Fitz did well under this OC until he forgot he was a noodle-armed fellow from Harvard, and started thinking he was Brett Favre with a wolfman beard.  

Nothing was stolen. This is exactly what Fitz is. That's why he's played for 6 teams, started games for each of them, and continues to bounce around. To think that he mysteriously transformed last season into this good QB was kind of silly. As a Bills fan I saw first hand good Fitz and bad Fitz. There was some good Fitz, then there was a big contract, then there was a lot of bad Fitz. A lot of times would do enough to keep you in the game, give you that glimmer of hope, then throw a late INT to lose the game. Sort of how the Jets missed the playoffs last year.
Mike Tanier wrote an article last season that included the greatest definition of Fitzpatrick's career I've ever read:

That's Fitzpatrick's career. The show's premise is "plucky quarterback from Harvard teaches the NFL what a brainy guy can do." It's a fish-out-of-water comedy: Fresh Prince of Bel-Air with a dash of MacGyver!

In each episode, Fitzpatrick arrives in a new town, impresses everyone with his pluck and his Harvard degree, scrambles around for a few games, sprays some passes in the general vicinity of his receivers, generates superficially decent statistics and ultimately comes up short when asked to do anything but beat the teams any quarterback should beat. His team learns a valuable lesson about trying to get by with a journeyman quarterback who isn't really any good, and it bids Fitzpatrick farewell.

Next episode, next town and no one remembers what happened in the last episode. Say, this plucky quarterback has to be able to help us. He's from Harvard!

The Texans endured an episode of The Fitzpatrick Show last season and then learned what the Bills and Titans figured out before them: 1980s television was static and boring, and it's better to attempt something more ambitious and fail then to settle for a mediocre status quo every week.
It's about time the Jets' coaching staff finally took the second part of that last sentence to heart.

Man, no matter what anyone thinks of him, gotta feel bad. Finally gets his chance after what he's been through and now this. guy can't catch a break.

I can't see how McAdoo isn't fired before he walks off the field in week 17.
"That's so weird. This entire fourth quarter, I've been calling in plays through my headset, but it doesn't sound like anyone can hear me. On the bright side, we've scored four TDs are are winning. Nice way to end the season and generate some momentum heading into next year."

"Bob, we need to talk ..."

It is amusing that neither Rex nor Geno appear to be incorrect in their statements... 
:yes:  

OTOH, yeah, they are both truthful, but part of being insane/inappropriate is just the act of saying certain truthful things out loud. It's Victorian decorum.  

I'd side with Rex here. It's part of his job as a member of the media to comment, though he could have said something positive about Geno, but didn't. Geno went out of his way to be thin-skinned. 

I can't believe they benched Eli for this guy, and can't believe the Bills hired Rex after the Jets debacle.  

Seahawks signed QB Geno Smith.

The news comes via ESPN's Jordan Raanan. The former second-round quarterback spent last season backing up Philip Rivers in Los Angeles. Fellow draft bust Paxton Lynch is the only quarterback of note behind Russell Wilson, so Smith will have a decent shot to win the No. 2 job in camp.

SOURCE: Jordan Raanan on Twitter

May 13, 2019, 10:35 AM ET

Personally I am rooting for him and not just because I have Lockett (who he targeted 4 times in 15 minutes).

:towelwave:

can’t believe he’s still in the league
Why?

He has all the physical tools and he has had a very long time to reflect on his failures.

I don't expect elite performance, accuracy can only be improved so much... although...Josh Allen...???

No one expects him to morph into an elite QB but he has all the physical tools and he has landed in an excellent situation. He has elite receiving talent, good enough o-line, good coaching, decent run game, solid arm, well above average athleticism etc. Why shouldn't we at least expect super-flex level performance from him?

Because he was overwhelmed on a terrible team eight years ago? That doesn't fly.

Why?

He has all the physical tools and he has had a very long time to reflect on his failures.

I don't expect elite performance, accuracy can only be improved so much... although...Josh Allen...???

No one expects him to morph into an elite QB but he has all the physical tools and he has landed in an excellent situation. He has elite receiving talent, good enough o-line, good coaching, decent run game, solid arm, well above average athleticism etc. Why shouldn't we at least expect super-flex level performance from him?

Because he was overwhelmed on a terrible team eight years ago? That doesn't fly.
Hey I’m rooting for him.  Have DK myself.  but he’s not good.  And his situation doesn’t change the fact that he’s not good.

Hey I’m rooting for him.  Have DK myself.  but he’s not good.  And his situation doesn’t change the fact that he’s not good.
Based on what? 2 starts since 2014? He wasn't good as a starter with the Jets that's a fact. But he has the tools and the benefit of time. He's 31, at that age it is reasonable to suggest he can improve upon his abilities from 8 years ago.

Pretty sure you're older than him, don't you think the benefit of age might compensate for the loss of physical ability in that age range? Were you the best athletic you at 23 or 31? I know I I was far better at 31, even though I was a little faster and stronger at 23. YMMV.

Again, not expecting elite performance but super-flex starter (ie being one of the top 16-24 QBs on any given Sunday) is entirely possible. Hell, I would be surprised if he wasn't.

He went 10-17, 131 yards with a TD & a pick in under 15 minutes of play. And many would argue the pick was more on Lockett than Geno.

Top 8-12 is a different story, that would be a surprise. But flex starter? Yes, absolutely.

ETA: I was probably stronger at 31 but not faster. Either way for elite athletes, which Geno unquestionably is, the physical difference is marginal relative to the potential for mental growth.

Geno is stepping into some massive shoes. Perhaps a hot take, but I think Russell Wilson is the best player in the NFL, and has been for 4-5 years. He's been dragging 4-5 win caliber teams kicking and screaming to the playoffs since Marshawn and the legion of boom fell off. I think if he were in a system where he were truly allowed to let loose, he'd be at Drew Brees level statistically. In many ways Carroll has limited Wilson as much or more than Reeves did Elway.

I do think Geno can keep Metcalf as a top fantasy WR, he may even help him, as he may be more likely to lock on to him than Wilson. I think lockett likely will be tougher, as much of his appeal is his rapport with Wilson.

I highly doubt Geno will be a disaster, not that he won't be a massive downgrade. I doubt Geno himself has any fantasy value outside of 2 qb leagues. But he isn't going to completely sink the offense. 

I also don't see Seattle becoming more conservative with Geno. The way their defense is playing, they won't have a choice. They might be even more pass heavy, as Wilson's efficiency is unmatchable, so more volume is possible if not likely.

Geno Smith completed 23-of-32 passes for 209 yards and a touchdown in the Seahawks' Week 6 loss to the Steelers.

Smith managed the game well for most of the game and got into something resembling a rhythm in the second half. However, he got strip-sacked by T.J. Watt halfway through overtime, which directly led to Chris Boswell's game-winning field goal. Smith lowers the ceiling of the Seahawks' offense as a whole, and he's not on the fantasy radar right now.

Oct 18, 2021, 12:18 AM ET

Geno Smith completed just 12-of-22 passes for 167 yards and one touchdown in the Seahawks' 13-10, Week 7 loss to the Saints Monday night.

He somehow didn't turn the ball over, though Smith tried to throw a pick-six on the final 4th-and-28 play of the game after taking back-to-back sacks. He nearly took a safety before getting rid of it. Smith was sacked five times in this one and was flat-out pitiful, looking scared in the pocket and missing open receivers all night. His first pass of the evening was an 84-yard touchdown to DK Metcalf where Metcalf manhandled Marshon Lattimore for the ball. Smith did nothing positive. This offense is unwatchable with him under center. We're going to get another dose of Smith next week against the Jaguars before Russell Wilson (finger) is hopefully back following the Week 9 bye.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Users who are viewing this thread